Nike+ - New EG challenges Page 179

• Page

of 206 First / Last

• captainlk 10 Jun 2013 09:41:02 33 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Need to get fitter so went for a 'run' last week and another yesterday. For yesterday's I downloaded the Nike+ running app and used that. Managed 2.9k with a stop in the middle which nearly killed me. I find the app strangely motivating, planning to go a few times a week with it.

If anyone wants to be my friend I'm lukesaundersEG over in Nike land. Having some people in the list there might help with motivation.

Edited by captainlk at 12:00:20 10-06-2013

Edited by captainlk at 12:06:58 10-06-2013
  • Findus 10 Jun 2013 09:50:10 144 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ReGuRgIt8oR I had a perfect run and completed the course in 56:47 which I was absolutely gobsmacked with, but it felt so natural and awesome. I was a little apprehensive after less than 100M metres there was that little hill and thought oh oh.

But settled into a nice rhythm, something I couldn't do in Manchester, then went into the tunnel and held back as people whizzing by as you got the to middle you saw in the distance the incline and you thought it was going to be hell, but it was fine the turn uphill at just before the tollbooths had a worse incline, then the rest of the course pretty flat, and such a lovely view across to Liverpool as you come on to the prom, noticed the flaggers collapsed along the prom which was a bit distressing but I entered into the final couple of K's and upped my pace as much as I could. and crossed the line and stopped Nike 56:42 for 6.25 Miles, so I manually adjusted for 10K and thought it was going to be well out as when you loose gps it draws a straight line across the Mersey and lines up when you lost signal to when you pick the signal back up, so when the text came through that it was 56:47 I was like geees.

The only downside and this is just a minor one is the shirt sizes. As I staggered to the t-shirt station the army cadets said if you want large get an extra large as they are small, but even the XL was a tight fit.

But overall I would definitely do it again next year, a unique course a fantastic atmosphere and well organised.

The funny thing was that the night before I shared a bottle of wine and a roast dinner, :)

Back out tomorrow morning for an easy 4 miles. Half marathon training begins now.
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 10 Jun 2013 09:59:17 2,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Findus

Well done and good luck with the Half plan.

I was only 2 mins ahead of you so good chance we passed somewhere on the course.
    I was Hong Kong Phooey.

Did you join in the " oggie oggie oggie" in the tunnel ?
    It makes a great sound.

Pity about the t shirts. I think they were all tight in all sizes.
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 10 Jun 2013 10:05:42 2,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @captainlk

Good stuff and welcome.
    There's been a good few of us on here who've gone from 1k runs to 10k, halves and even full marathons.

Keep going and you can do it too. Findus is doing exactly this now.

My first run was a 1 point something k heart attack run only a few years ago.
    This little group, and the peeps on it kept motivated.

I'm Gurgy on Nike +. Don't be put off by some mad distances you see us doing. There's a few nutters amongst us but there's people of all levels too.
  • captainlk 10 Jun 2013 10:27:05 33 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ReGuRgIt8oR great man, thanks!
  • Findus 10 Jun 2013 10:27:34 144 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @captainlk as ReGuRgIt8oR says, back in October I couldn't run 1K without stopping and panting and thinking running 5K was an impossible dream never mind 10K, so stick with it it will come to you I guarantee it.

By the way @ReGuRgIt8oR, I think I you did pass me as I remember smiling it was only later on I remembered someone was saying they where dressing up. Props to you sir. I heard the Ooggey chants but I was so in the zone, ha.

Edited by Findus at 10:31:29 10-06-2013
  • Deleted user 10 June 2013 10:27:55
    @captainlk What Gurgy said, the biggest challenge is getting up and doing it in the first place.

I've gone from C25K to running daily commutes (5x10km per week) to a half-marathon to seriously considering an ultra-marathon. If you can fit it into your lifestyle running can be seriously addictive! :-D
  • captainlk 10 Jun 2013 10:40:14 33 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I reckon the biggest challenge for me is not stopping after doing it regularly. Having something to aim for is good for that, such as in October I have a holiday it would be good to be fit for. I suppose that's why people set themselves challenges such as marathons and things.
  • mrpon 10 Jun 2013 12:28:33 28,893 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Added you captain, welcome!

Give yourself £5 or Ĺ gig, you're worth it.

• ReGuRgIt8oR 10 Jun 2013 13:23:14 2,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Consider signing up for an event / "race".

I think many on here would agree that it is a great way to motivate yourself and give yourself a target.
    Start simple. There's bound to be loads of 5k and 10k runs in your area.
    Do not worry - you won't be last, people want laugh at you, you won't be out of place.
    Yes you will think all these things - we all have - but you will have fun and by the end you will cherish your first medal / t shirt. I would just say to run the first one just "to finish it" don't fret on a particular time - maybe even avoid the additional stress of doing it sponsored.

On the day you will be nervous, you may be stuck on the loo and you may feel a prat stood in the start pen - I did !

Races give you a great buzz, the sound of hundreds/thousands of padding feet around you is great and my experience so far is that the running community look after each other so you will get encouragement and support from all sides.

As I stood at the end of my race yesterday I was chatting to all sorts of runners, I got well done's and pats on the back from complete unknown runners. Plus it sets you up for the day.

Most of all keep going, enjoy and you will be amazed how quickly your breathing, legs, fitness, times and distances all improve.
  • Findus 10 Jun 2013 13:43:17 144 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's exactly how I felt yesterday, I felt like I was accepted into the herd if that makes sense as I was running with fellow runners all doing what they love, and running with other people drives you on and I think contributed to the time I did yesterday. Good thing is both my sister and her fella where so inspired from yesterday they went back and did a little run last night, and have signed up for the K-swiss I love Manchester run in July which is my next one.
  • captainlk 10 Jun 2013 14:33:53 33 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Races are a good idea. I have a friend who I could probably pester into doing it with me.

I'll see if my legs fall off after the first few runs and then look for some nearby.

And thanks for all who added me on Nike+

Edited by captainlk at 14:34:29 10-06-2013
  • BravoGolf Moderator 10 Jun 2013 15:15:15 12,741 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wrote before how my knees were getting sore and was worried I'd do some damage or overdo and prevent myself from running. I ran anyway, couldn't resist, and found whilst my knees didn't get any more sore on the run itself afterwards they'd be increasingly tender when going up and down stairs.

Anyway, fellow Olympians, I went back to a running person (does deep tissue massages and running reviews, guess one would call him a running coach - he's unbelievably brilliant). He could point out the lines of muscle in my thighs that would pull on my leg, he could also show how they were fairly well balanced which suggested my technique was still OK (which he had previously transformed). He then proceeded to do some incredibly painful massaging to the muscle with his elbow on the knee and up each line to my hips. Wow! What a difference, all soreness and tenderness completely gone during and after running.

He basically advised that someone running a lot would need this done every month to avoid injury (his explanation was way more detailed than that but that's what I took away, to go back again). Hopefully that's helpful to you.
  • captainlk 10 Jun 2013 15:46:58 33 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hey @BravoGolf. I saw you added me on Nike+ but mysteriously having accepted it you appear not to exist. I don't know if I messed this up somehow or if it's something to do with privacy settings.

That running guy sounds great though, when I used to play football regularly one of my knees would hurt sometimes even when not playing - going up stairs and just along on the street etc. If that problem reoccurs I'll look for a magic guy like yours.
  • Guff-Pipe 10 Jun 2013 15:49:51 468 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ive started running again recently but I really worry about my knees. They dont tend to bother me while im actually running, but afterwards they really give me pain and ache like mad. I trained for 8 weeks for the "Edinburgh Marathon Relay" with some mates and thought the pain would go as I got fitter, but seemed to get worse. I said to myself I wouldn't run again after this one but really really enjoyed it (the people and atmosphere were amazing), and got a much faster time in the actual run than in training, 7min20 miles for my 5.6 mile leg. I want to carry on training and do another now, but worried im doing knees are taking some serious damage :( It took about 3 weeks after the run for the pain to go away.
    Ive added a few of you, my nike+ name is CraigLeedham. :)
  • mrpon 10 Jun 2013 15:52:59 28,893 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I get the sore knee syndrome specifically after consecutive daily runs. For me it's the outer joint at the NW (left knee) and NE (right knee) positions that are sore. I'm wondering if I need new trainers, these are pretty old.

• SaucyGeoff 10 Jun 2013 15:56:07 2,576 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @BravoGolf That's great news. I treated myself to a sport massage at the end the marathon last month, certainly money well spent. Howl's pain from people on the other beds was hilarious until it happened to me.

Echo other people's thoughts on entering events. Runner's are incredibly friendly, and I love the pre race buzz. Also, running, no matter what the distance, is hard, so the satisfaction you draw, as well as respect from others always makes for a great experience.

Worth checking whether there are any parkrun's near you. They are free 5k's that run every week, that you can just turn up to. The only downside is the start time. 9am on a Saturday :eek:

Edited for link fail.

Edited by SaucyGeoff at 16:01:39 10-06-2013
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 10 Jun 2013 16:16:01 2,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SaucyGeoff wrote:
    The only downside is the start time. 9am on a Saturday :eek:
    Eek indeed. How anyone could consider going for a run so late in the morning is beyond me.

;)
  • AccidentProne 10 Jun 2013 16:36:22 1,162 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    captainlk wrote:
    Hey @BravoGolf. I saw you added me on Nike+ but mysteriously having accepted it you appear not to exist. I don't know if I messed this up somehow or if it's something to do with privacy settings.
    Same thing happened to me when I tried to add BG too. I assumed I'd arsed it up and clicked decline or something.
  • MontyBrewster 10 Jun 2013 16:37:03 253 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    I get the sore knee syndrome specifically after consecutive daily runs. For me it's the outer joint at the NW (left knee) and NE (right knee) positions that are sore. I'm wondering if I need new trainers, these are pretty old.
    If it's both knees then you're probably not getting enough cushioning, trainers tend to wear out pretty fast even if they still look in good nick.

Try and get a few runs a week on grass if possible too, that should sort it.
  • AccidentProne 10 Jun 2013 16:39:57 1,162 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Is it definitely the knee or could it be your ITB? I was suffering with what I took to be knee pain for a while, but turned out to be ITB instead. Sorted it out with a bit of stretching and foam rollering.
  • Vortex808 10 Jun 2013 16:43:05 7,133 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Is it definitely the knee or could it be your ITB? I was suffering with what I took to be knee pain for a while, but turned out to be ITB instead. Sorted it out with a bit of stretching and foam rollering.
    Sounded quite like the ITB to me too. I know that pain location all too well....

edit: although it was so close to the kneecap before I went to the physio, I reckoned it was my knees. However, I have never had both be really sore at the same time though.

Edited by Vortex808 at 13:46:05 11-06-2013
  • mrpon 10 Jun 2013 16:54:12 28,893 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't think it's ITB?? It's not pain, but an ache if you follow me, ie: it doesn't hurt, but just feels sore. Difficult to explain! You fellow runners should understand.

I've found an exact image, here is the location:

• SaucyGeoff 11 Jun 2013 09:00:48 2,576 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My nike gps watch has stopped being recognised by the computer. As a standalone piece of kit, it works fine, and still charges when plugged in, but the software doesnít recognise it, so canít sync. Definitely got the latest software updates etc.

Has anyone else come across similar problems?
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 11 Jun 2013 10:00:48 2,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @SaucyGeoff

I'm afraid so. I'm on my third one. I also know others who are on their second one.
    All symptoms just as your watch.

All I can suggest is to reset it ( hold down two of the buttons for 30 seconds - cant remember which two - until screen goes blank and the firmware version shows up. )
    Then try to sync it. Warning you may lose your un- synced runs.

If that doesn't fix it then its straight onto Nike after sales. So far they have been fine in doing straight replacements but you lose any runs on the watch. The turnaround is about 7 working days.
    I think you can do it through twitter with them.

They will ask all the usual stupid questions so I tell them up front that I've reset, re-installed, tried other PC etc etc. and gave them my purchase dates and serial numbers etc.

Good luck - if they get awkward and my past claims are of any help then let me know.
    Basically it's an unreliable p.o.s. They've now got a newer model so hopefully that's better. They will probably even offer you a choice of the new colours.

Despite multiple changes, my watch is still the old model so I just know its doomed.
  • SaucyGeoff 11 Jun 2013 10:50:05 2,576 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ReGuRgIt8oR

Cheers Gurg. I feared this may be the case. I knew they had a history of being unreliable until yesterday, mine had been great for the 18 months since Iíd bought it. Yeah, Iíve tried everything apart from a reset. Only got about 20km on there, so Iíll take the hit tonight and see if it makes any difference. Otherwise Iíll see what Nike customer support have to say! Is there any obvious way to distinguish between new and older models? Essential piece of kit for me, Iím technically out of warranty so if Nike donít play ball Iíll end up buying another one.

My girlfriend has been looking at GPS watches, think sheís settled on the basic garmin option (forerunner 10?). Iíd actually recommended the nike on, but too many bad reviews put her off.
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 11 Jun 2013 11:46:58 2,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not sure on telling models apart.

I think (but not sure) that the original was black with the yellow/green inside whereas the new version are different colours one of which is all black.
  • mrpon 16 Jun 2013 16:13:28 28,893 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Took my new 16GB iPod Nano (thankyou daughter!) out for a road test this morning with my current Jabra wireless headphones.

First impressions: what a dinky little fucker and possibly too light! I added a rubber grip to the order, which helps when holding on it (more on this later). Synced up my Nike+ foot sensor no problems, but you can just use the built-in pedometer. Usual, albeit slimmed down (when compared to the Touch) interface but the essentials are there. Audio prompts as per, though for some reason they countdown now after the halfway point "5k left to go" etc.. I actually prefer this from a psychological point of view.

As for the holding it bit, I had to do this previously with my Touch because in my pocket it was out of range for the headphones. Slightly bizarre, but there you go. With this new Nano I found I could leave it in my pocket with zero audio dropouts, pretty impressed for such a small item. Also the fact it is so light means minimal pocket disruption, f'nar.

Obviously no wifi connectivity on this, so it's plug into iTunes to sync the run. Again, no issues here and synced no problem with my existing account. Could be a beef for someone though. Having a video app on it is hilarious, but yeah it works.

To sum up:

+ size (all aspects)
    + better bluetooth
    + skip track hard button
    + faster charging with the lightning connector

- no wifi so iTunes syncing required

• Findus 16 Jun 2013 17:19:25 144 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well did my very first 8 miler and completed in 1 hour and 15 minutes, which I was made up about.

I was expecting to hit the wall feel ill and everything the running horror stories tell you, but it simply felt longer and tiring and I felt like a bit of a zombie and have all day and burnt 1300 calories, a new experience today salty face where the sweat evaporated hmm nice ha.

But no all in all very happy and new records for distance time and calories.
  • SaucyGeoff 17 Jun 2013 08:57:34 2,576 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Outsprinted by some hotshot in under 14s category at the end of Saturday's parkrun. A low point, he can't have been more than 12.
  • Page

of 206 First / Last