Nike+ - New EG challenges Page 177

• Page

of 206 First / Last

• AccidentProne 7 May 2013 20:05:09 1,152 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you don't get on with arm straps have you thought about an SPI belt instead?

I got one of these for my marathon, as I needed something to hold my gels and my water belt was a bit too bulky. Didn't keep my phone in it, just sun block and plasters, but it was really comfortable, barely knew I was wearing it. Will try it out with my phone, as an arm strap replacement next time I reckon.
  • mrpon 7 May 2013 20:11:12 28,416 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bit too bulky for my needs, I run as light as poss. A single front door key tied into my drawstring, wireless headphones and Touch. Soon to be upgraded to the aforementioned credit card sized Nano, ideally in a zipped t-shirt pocket. I really should upgrade my trainers soon to Nike+ ones. Would you believe I'm still using the same gaffer tape under the laces trick!

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• mrpon 8 May 2013 14:26:56 28,416 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nike Fuelband 2 coming with Bluetooth 4.0, 3rd party apps, HRM etc..

Like to have a tinker with one of these, didn't someone in here have the 1st gen, Ultrasoundwave? How you getting on with it? Daily use?

• Rhythm 8 May 2013 15:01:32 2,462 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    In an unexpected turn of events it seems like I'm going to be doing a half-marathon on Sunday :-/
  • SaucyGeoff 8 May 2013 15:33:17 2,559 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Leeds? I've got a place in that. Still undecided as whether I'll run, as full marathon week after. Might be good to get round target marathon pace.
  • Rhythm 8 May 2013 15:45:56 2,462 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, Leeds. I'm saying I may be attending but it seems the race organisers don't allow the transferring of numbers in the event of having to pull out for illness, as in this case. I can't even pass for this person as she's a dinky little woman and I'm a slightly chubby bloke :-)
  • SaucyGeoff 8 May 2013 15:59:09 2,559 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, transferring race numbers (legitimently) is a total nightmare, organisers seem to go out of there way to make it difficult. In the past i've given mine away, and also run under others names, without ever running it by the organisers. If I decide against running on Sunday, my brother seems keen to take my place.

Noone would ever check (unless you end up being first woman home!!!). Scribble your real details on the back of the number, and you won't have any problems.
  • Rhythm 8 May 2013 16:27:37 2,462 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ah, cool, might just try it anyway then :-)
  • Baggies 11 May 2013 07:02:37 94 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mrpon wrote:

Like to have a tinker with one of these, didn't someone in here have the 1st gen, Ultrasoundwave? How you getting on with it? Daily use?
    Thanks. I've just bought the first gen this week.

Loving it so far. It's new so I'm doing a lot more exercise than I would normally. I'm sure that will tail off eventually but so far So good.
  • Vortex808 12 May 2013 11:46:12 6,935 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Phew. 6 mile run today and my ITB seems to be just bearing up. A bit sore, but not too bad. Should be ok for my 10k next week with luck. Even if I can't push it too much.

Cheers to the EG folk that added my nike+ friend request from earlier this week. It's nice to have a slight frisson of competition there. Even if I'm well down on AP & regurgitators efforts!

Edited by Vortex808 at 15:02:32 12-05-2013
  • Rhythm 12 May 2013 13:08:57 2,462 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Half-Marathon completed with the help of forged documents. Scored a 1:42.37, which I'm really happy with. GPS time shows longer because of the walk/jog to the start line

Linky
  • SaucyGeoff 12 May 2013 16:09:22 2,559 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Great time Rhythm! I thought of you when i realised that the numbers had names printed on them! :)

I quite enjoyed the route, all the hills out of the way by 7 miles made for a super speedy second half. With a marathon next week, I set out with the intention of pacing myself to 1:52:30. Was dead on pace at half way, then I lost my self control and ended up finishing in 1:45:20. Felt good all the way round, but I'll be pissed if over the next few days it becomes obvious that I've taken more out myself than I should have done.
  • AccidentProne 12 May 2013 16:20:48 1,152 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well done guys.

I'm sure you'll be alright for your marathon SG, just take the next week easy and fuel up. Probably work as a decent confidence booster too.
  • Rhythm 12 May 2013 17:28:33 2,462 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @SaucyGeoff Yeah, I had to make liberal use of the copiers at work ;-)

If you finished at 1:45 there's a reasonable chance you were running alongside me for a while :-D And yes, I'd seen reviews complaining that the course opens too hilly but I enjoyed that, it made for a more interesting run and round here you shouldn't really ever expect a flat course anyway
  • Ultrasoundwave 12 May 2013 21:17:26 3,264 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mrpon wrote:

Yeah i'm still using mine, i think its great - it keeps you motivated, keeps you on track with your fitness goal and is just generally a lovely bit of kit.

I think Nike will just keep making these things and they'll get better and better over time. Think i'll skip the next one as there only seem to be a few, minor improvements but maybe the third or fourth one will offer stronger reasons to upgrade.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• BravoGolf Moderator 12 May 2013 21:25:41 12,740 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rhythm Well done! That's a great time!

I had planned to do 30k this weekend as per my marathon training plan but both mornings I couldn't talk myself into getting up (at 06:30). Still, was nice to sleep in for a change :)
  • mrpon 12 May 2013 21:30:18 28,416 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That is a super time Rhythm, I thought you were carrying a bit of timber?!

• Rhythm 13 May 2013 06:15:04 2,462 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @mrpon Haha, erm, what? :-D

Enjoyed the run so much that I've signed up for next year.
  • Mola_Ram 13 May 2013 06:25:02 6,946 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So, I just downloaded this. I run a lot, but have never used any sort of GPS thing.

I was thinking of combining it with Zombies, Run! for extra fun.
  • rare_uk 13 May 2013 06:29:25 3,562 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    since we're talking about Nike fuel band, anyone getting one of these http://www.fitbit.com/uk/flex it seems to be getting good reviews at eg Engadget etc

Edited by rare_uk at 06:31:02 13-05-2013
  • SaucyGeoff 13 May 2013 12:26:12 2,559 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rhythm I didn't think the hills were as bad as they were made out to be, especailly as they came quite early in the course, I was prepared for them though.

Thought it was an excellent morning. Got places in the two run for all events in York later in the year, and planning on doing the early bird entry tonight for next year's half.
  • Zomoniac 14 May 2013 11:17:12 7,788 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rare_uk wrote:
    since we're talking about Nike fuel band, anyone getting one of these http://www.fitbit.com/uk/flex it seems to be getting good reviews at eg Engadget etc
    I got a Fitbit One last month and it's very nice and handy. Thought about waiting for the Flex as it looks easy and convenient but decided that drumming whilst wearing a wrist-mounted pedometer would likely break my stats. In terms of the build of the kit, portability, quality of the app and integration with MFP I can't really fault the One, so I have no reason to doubt the Flex will be up to the same levels.
  • Findus 19 May 2013 18:32:43 142 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well last long run before my big day next Sunday, ran with my marathon runner friend and we did 7 miles and ran at her pace and ran where she'd varied her pace throughout the run go fast, slow down for a bit and then back on (something I've had difficult with) then used the final 200 metres of the 10K to have a bit of a sprint which helped and then used the last mile as a warm down.

New 10K record 56:20.

Now you just use the last week as a way of keeping your legs fresh so 2 5K run's.

Can't believe this time last year I could not run a single kilometre without stopping.

Edited by Findus at 18:33:31 19-05-2013
  • SaucyGeoff 19 May 2013 20:43:24 2,559 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Great work Findus! Suspect you'll be pushing 55 mins next week.

I've just got back from running the Brathay Windermere marathon. Got round in an agonising 04.00.40. No regrets though, I gave it everything, especially in the final mile. Was totally done in at the end.

The course was seriously tough, relentless hills all the way round. Was running at 3.53 pace at 20 miles, but unfortunately seriously ran out of steam and couldn't run up the hills any more. Enjoyed the experience and am looking forward to my next Marathon at York in October. Certainly learnt a lot. Need to find an alternative to gels, I just don't think they work for me 
  • AccidentProne 20 May 2013 09:26:41 1,152 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well done SG, great time! Looks like a nice race too (apart from the hills!), might look at that as a London alternative for next year.

How often were you taking the gels? I still feel I'm flagging at the end of a long run when using them, just dread to think how bad I'd feel without...
  • Zomoniac 20 May 2013 10:06:37 7,788 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Odd run yesterday. Hull 10K, except the hydraulics on a bridge that was part of the route failed, leaving it stuck in the open position, so a last minute re-route was arranged, turning it into either the Hull 8.96K or the Hull 9.07K depending on whether you believe the Nike or Endomondo GPS.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 20 May 2013 10:27:11 12,740 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I need some advice on the gels, I've never really taken any before. I ran a marathon last Oct, and have another in 6 weeks or so. I may have taken the odd random free one in Oct's (Dublin) marathon

I don't know how often I should take, the type that's are suitable etc - what are you lot doing?
  • AccidentProne 20 May 2013 10:50:10 1,152 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You're supposed to have about 90mins-2hrs store of glycogen in your body at the start, though I guess this varies from person to person, how much you've been carb loading and also depends on your pace etc. When that's depleted is when you hit the wall, or bonking as some call it.

If I'm running over 90mins, I'll take the first gel at 1hr, then another every 30mins. They take about 30mins to start working, though I like the ones that contain caffeine, for a little kick early on. Normally take them with water, but sometimes I can't be arsed carrying a bottle, so then I'll use the isotonic type.

Pistol's probably the chap to ask though. Most of this I got from his advice earlier in the thread (or maybe the running thread?).
  • SaucyGeoff 20 May 2013 12:01:08 2,559 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheers AP. I'd thoroughly recommend it, excellent scenic route, and Brathay Hall is a great Start/Finish area, 800 runners is a really nice field size. I'll definitely consider doing it again. I'd certainly be better prepared, the route profile on the website doesn't quite show how tough the section from 13 to 21 miles is.

I used 4 gels at 1hr 10, 2hrs, 2hrs 40 and 3hrs 20. I suspect I may have struggled more without them, but I really seem to struggle to digest them, and they make me feel sick. In fact 20 minutes after finishing I did throw up, and all I could taste was Gel. I used High 5 ones, so may experiment with some others.

Between now and October, i really want to concerntrate on mastered how to drink and re fuel during the run. I think the worry that it'll sit heavy in my stomach often means I don't bother taking anything on board.
  • SaucyGeoff 20 May 2013 12:10:11 2,559 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Odd run yesterday. Hull 10K, except the hydraulics on a bridge that was part of the route failed, leaving it stuck in the open position, so a last minute re-route was arranged, turning it into either the Hull 8.96K or the Hull 9.07K depending on whether you believe the Nike or Endomondo GPS.
    Yeah, two grumpy people in my office today. They all clocked it around 9k. Sounds like a nightmare situation for the organisers. They arrived a bit late, so had no idea that the course wasn't going to be 10k. Do you know if they announced at the start or anything?
  • Page

of 206 First / Last