Nike+ - New EG challenges Page 176

• Page

of 204 First / Last

• SaucyGeoff 6 May 2013 11:17:33 2,481 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hot weather has even made it to the North!
  • AccidentProne 6 May 2013 16:47:33 1,128 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Phew, turns out these marathon things are actually pretty hard work. Who knew?

All was going to plan for 16 miles or so, despite a possible case of heatstroke. Major cramps made the last 10 miles hellish and slow, as I had to stop every few hundred metres to unbunch my calf muscles, but I don't care, I had a great day. "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional" or something, saying that, I did suffer a bit too...

Way slower than I hoped at 4:37, but on the plus side, it'll be easy setting a pb next time. Roll on Loch Ness! Was a fair way ahead of the 4 hour pacer until the cramps set in. Then again, if I hadn't had to stop all the time, I might not have been able to keep up the pace.

Also, Milton Keynes is surprisingly picturesque if you get away from the roundabouts. Finishing in the stadium to a cheering crowd was amazing too.
  • AccidentProne 6 May 2013 16:51:17 1,128 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bit annoyed my phone ran out of battery after 25 miles, means I've still not got a marathon synched...
  • CosmicFuzz 6 May 2013 17:51:43 21,246 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice one mate! Great time too. Enjoy your ice bath tonight!

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• AccidentProne 6 May 2013 18:09:12 1,128 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers :)

An ice bath would be great, but I currently don't have the energy to organise such things. I do however have the energy to order a fuck off big pizza, so I'll do that instead.
  • sport 6 May 2013 18:10:51 12,046 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well done AP! But don't undo your hard work with pizza - rather settle down with a nice spinach and beet shake and some tofu.
  • Vortex808 6 May 2013 18:12:15 6,567 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    I do however have the energy to order a fuck off big pizza, so I'll do that instead.
    :D

Enjoy, you've certainly earnt it today!
  • Baggies 6 May 2013 18:14:19 94 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Feel free to add me on Nike Plus: HarvB

Not been on it for ages but hoping to start up again.

Need some friends to compete against.
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 6 May 2013 18:28:33 2,553 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well done AP !

Bet you can't eat much of that pizza.
  • AccidentProne 6 May 2013 18:32:34 1,128 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No, Sport's right, it's tofu for me... Yeah, right.

I actually don't feel all that hungry though, which is odd. I'm sure I'll force it down somehow though.
  • SaucyGeoff 6 May 2013 19:28:07 2,481 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Great work AP! There is nothing wrong with Pizza for breakfast.

2 weeks until my marathon attempt. Getting serious now, spent most of the day in a beer garden and not touched a drop! Like yourself I'm hoping for 4 hours, but will pleased just to get round.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 6 May 2013 20:53:49 12,734 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well done AP! I've got my second marathon in 7 weeks, feeling good about it after a solid 30km run yesterday. Stopped once for a drink and a wee. I wonder should I start having those energy things ...
  • mrpon 6 May 2013 21:56:28 27,647 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good stuff AP, any injuries?

PS: has someone just added me on Nike+ don't recognise the name.

Edited by mrpon at 21:57:14 06-05-2013

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• AccidentProne 6 May 2013 22:39:59 1,128 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, aside from sore legs and a bit of sunburn I think I escaped relatively unscathed.

Saw a few folks passed out on the way round. One poor sod at 25 miles, which must've been gutting for him. Though not as bad as the chap who collapsed 50m from the line and had to be stretchered off.

New Nike+ add is probably Baggies, from a few posts up.
  • mrpon 6 May 2013 23:24:16 27,647 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah yup, added you Baggy.

• Vortex808 7 May 2013 09:37:26 6,567 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Ah yup, added you Baggy.
    I will do this at some point over the next few days too. when I manage to remember!

If I see anyone else's usernames I recognise on his list I may add a few more of you if you folks don't mind?

It might act as a bit of a spur to try a bit harder. After a post-child 'not much running' sabbatical of a couple of years I have never managed to get back to the level of fitness I used to have before!
  • SaucyGeoff 7 May 2013 10:14:17 2,481 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Bit annoyed my phone ran out of battery after 25 miles, means I've still not got a marathon synched...
    I missed this post yesterday! Ouch.

Legs feeling good this morning?
  • AccidentProne 7 May 2013 10:51:38 1,128 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still rather sore, but better after a cold bath. Glad I booked the day off work to recover though.

Vortex, feel free to add me mate - http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/profile/AccidentProne/
  • AccidentProne 7 May 2013 10:53:28 1,128 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Heh, just noticed the Nike app updated when I charged the phone, which rather buggered up the route map.
  • Findus 7 May 2013 13:08:39 138 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So training for Manchester continues, and I'm consistently under the hour now which I'm very happy about, just wondering on your tips for running in the warmer conditions?

I'm doing 6 miles tonight and I've been drinking loads of water and plan to bring a bottle with me, as for the running do you run any different? At this moment in time I have the stamina but I'm really struggling with pacing where my quickest will wither be at the start or the middle.

Do you run at the average pace till half way then up it or vary right across the run.

Has anyone ran with the new app update? Any bugs or issues found?
  • SaucyGeoff 7 May 2013 15:05:01 2,481 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    When your not used to it, running in the warmer weather is difficult. My advice is just to takle it steady, maybe run a bit a slower than you normally would, certainly don't go chasing your best time. It took me a while to realise, but spending time on your feet running within yourself is an important part of training. Carrying a drink is probably wise, but sip it a regular intervals through the route, don't get to halfway decide your thirsty and gulp it all down.

Unless I've got a particular session in mind, I always aim for a even paced run. This gets easier with experience, as you understand your limits better, and learn how to control your pace in the early miles.

Edited by SaucyGeoff at 15:05:21 07-05-2013
  • BravoGolf Moderator 7 May 2013 17:02:49 12,734 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I maintain a consistent pace throughout (with some accidental variation) of about 5 minutes per KM, not sure how that compares to others. Used to be 6:30 but over the last 6 months has begun to naturally increase as I get better at technique and what not.

I never bring a drink though, I wonder if that's a bad thing to do. I start out in the morning and run on the weekend between 20 and 30km without a drink ... is that because I'm amazing or just stupid? Mentioned it someone else and they seemed appalled!
  • mrpon 7 May 2013 17:05:57 27,647 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah anything over 10km and you should be re-hydrating, imo.

• Vortex808 7 May 2013 17:10:11 6,567 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't know. 10 milers are ok without imo I have done a lot of those with no problem. I've done 12-13 miles without any water too.

You might need water if it was a higher temperature, but I normally run when the temperature's not too bad in the morning or early evening. Mind you in this country you could probably run at mid-day most of the summer and still be ok. ;-)

Folk carrying two small water bottles round with them on a 10k astound me. It takes less than an hour, why would you need that much water?
  • mrpon 7 May 2013 17:24:56 27,647 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I guess it depends how hard/fast you're running/sweating? I don't necessarily need the water/energy drink but when I was running 10 milers I'd refuel at the halfway mark just out of habit.

• Findus 7 May 2013 17:51:08 138 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for the tips folks much appreciated.
  • SaucyGeoff 7 May 2013 17:53:32 2,481 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's very possible to get round up to a half marathon distance without water, but my experience is I feel a whole lot better afterwards if I've had a drink with me on longish run.

Personally I only take a drink (or money to by a drink), if I'm going out for over an hour. Always make sure I'm well hydrated before I head out though.
  • mrpon 7 May 2013 17:59:35 27,647 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it's psychological as well (shh don't tell my brain) in that I've taken some drink I now must be able to continue!

• BravoGolf Moderator 7 May 2013 18:55:50 12,734 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Interesting. I find if I take a drink it's the opposite! I feel more thirsty as a result! Maybe that's because I really do need a drink though in the first place. Carrying drinks and running sucks though, maybe I should get a drink carrying thing for runners.
  • mrpon 7 May 2013 19:15:24 27,647 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh yeah if you're carrying a drink those runner bottles are a must. I'm still running holding my iPod Touch, can't be doing with those arm straps. I'm looking to upgrade to the latest Nano (Fathers Day) so I'm on the hunt for some t-shirts with small pockets.

Speaking of running holding shit, check this contraption out!

• Page

of 204 First / Last