of 206 First / Last

• BravoGolf Moderator 22 Apr 2013 18:47:51 12,740 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    AccidentProne wrote:
    @Popzeus
    So, how'd you get on in London?
    5:06:27. Slightly disappointed not to get under 5hrs, especially given that I was on track for it at halfway, but pretty pleased overall. Was bloody roasting too after 4 months of training in the snow and ice.
    That's awesome! Feels great doesn't it? I ran my first marathon last Oct after getting pulled in by EG to start running. How did you run it? I ran every 5km, stopped for about 2 minutes, then ran again. Did you stay running or trying something similar?

Edit: my run http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/activity/running/BravoGolf/detail/2059668193

Edited by BravoGolf at 18:51:14 22-04-2013
  • Ultrasoundwave 24 Apr 2013 11:01:36 3,270 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ok people, completely new to this Nike+ thing but, as usual, i've thrown myself in head first!.

Bought a Nike+ Fuelband to start with, it arrived yesterday. Fairly simple to set up, i've programmed in a goal and synced it with my iMac and iPhone. I've taken it easy so far today in work but, somehow, i've managed to burn 450 calories!

Still getting to grips with it, not sure about the in's and out's of it yet, but it does seem like a nifty piece of kit.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• mrpon 24 Apr 2013 11:41:12 28,495 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How much was it geez?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Ultrasoundwave 24 Apr 2013 14:06:29 3,270 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shopped around and managed to find it for 120 (its 130 in most places).

Bit pricey, definitely, but if it can help improve my fitness then its worth it IMO.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• mrpon 24 Apr 2013 14:36:08 28,495 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pfft, fuck that!! Was toying with the idea of sub-100 jobby off eBay. I can see it being one of those fad items that end up at the back of that drawer!

• Popzeus 24 Apr 2013 16:21:52 8,272 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    That's awesome! Feels great doesn't it? I ran my first marathon last Oct after getting pulled in by EG to start running. How did you run it? I ran every 5km, stopped for about 2 minutes, then ran again. Did you stay running or trying something similar?

Edit: my run http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/activity/running/BravoGolf/detail/2059668193
    Cheers for all the congrats!

I ran all the way - I've tried run-walking but always find it too much mental effort to get going again after a walking break. Tried to stick to a consistent pace throughout, used my heart rate monitor to make sure I wasn't going too hell-for-leather.

I found the first 10k virtually effortless, had to keep slowing myself down whenever I checked my pace. High-fiving random kids in the crowd, all that showboating nonsense :)

Then got to halfway still thinking it seemed pretty easy (on a 2:27:57 split so on target for 5hrs), and it wasn't till about 17 or 18 miles in that it started to feel heavy going. Then I could feel my pace gradually dropping off, couldn't do much about it, and the last 4 miles or so I was just slogging away on autopilot, watching my time slipping away from me while still being quite impressed at the number of people I was overtaking along the way.

tl;dr: at least it's a time on the board. Next time I'll hopefully be another couple of stone lighter and I'll know what to expect :)

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• ReGuRgIt8oR 24 Apr 2013 16:44:25 2,600 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well done Pop and welcome to the Club.

I'd overlooked your sponsor link (i.e. waiting to see if you dropped dead on the run just for the mega donation bump and media frenzy).
    I've rectified that now though.
  • Popzeus 24 Apr 2013 17:07:19 8,272 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers Gurgy! Appreciate it.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• ReGuRgIt8oR 24 Apr 2013 17:33:07 2,600 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For my sins I've just entered .......
    the Tour of Merseyside.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 24 Apr 2013 22:11:21 12,740 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    BravoGolf wrote:

Cheers for all the congrats!

I ran all the way - I've tried run-walking but always find it too much mental effort to get going again after a walking break. Tried to stick to a consistent pace throughout, used my heart rate monitor to make sure I wasn't going too hell-for-leather.

I found the first 10k virtually effortless, had to keep slowing myself down whenever I checked my pace. High-fiving random kids in the crowd, all that showboating nonsense :)

Then got to halfway still thinking it seemed pretty easy (on a 2:27:57 split so on target for 5hrs), and it wasn't till about 17 or 18 miles in that it started to feel heavy going. Then I could feel my pace gradually dropping off, couldn't do much about it, and the last 4 miles or so I was just slogging away on autopilot, watching my time slipping away from me while still being quite impressed at the number of people I was overtaking along the way.

tl;dr: at least it's a time on the board. Next time I'll hopefully be another couple of stone lighter and I'll know what to expect :)
    That's very impressive, well done!
  • BravoGolf Moderator 24 Apr 2013 22:13:02 12,740 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fellow runners, need your advice! My knees, for the first time, are sooo painful! Feels really sore going up stairs and stuff. Never had this before though, is this as a result of poor technique I wonder?

My question is - I had planned to run 28km this Sat or Sun, how long should I give my knees a break before I run again?
  • mrpon 24 Apr 2013 23:09:26 28,495 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    An ache or a pain? To me the former is an oooh sound, an almost satisfying ache feeling. The latter is an ahhh sound, as in ahhh that's hurting.

• BravoGolf Moderator 25 Apr 2013 09:13:08 12,740 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The latter!
  • AccidentProne 25 Apr 2013 09:21:37 1,154 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd probably avoid the long run at the weekend and maybe go out for a shorter jog, just to see if you can run through the pain. Not sure I'm the best person to offer advice on injuries though, as I tried to run through what I took to be shin splints last year and ended up with stress fractures in both legs.

Probably worth seeing a doctor / physio though if it's really painful.
  • mrpon 25 Apr 2013 10:12:58 28,495 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah pain is not good. Rest I'd say, or like AP says a short run perhaps with knee strapping for support.

• Rhythm 25 Apr 2013 12:37:17 2,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fuck yeah! Just passed 500km this year. Pretty much bang on track for my 1600km target by Xmas.

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/Rhythm/1a5klrojvh9kobnu
  • BravoGolf Moderator 25 Apr 2013 16:23:40 12,740 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow, Rhythm, that's pretty cool!
  • Rhythm 26 Apr 2013 11:29:20 2,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cheers, I'm pretty pleased with that. If I can keep up that pace I only need to throw in a couple of extra runs during the summer to hit my target. I'm doing all those weighing near as dammit 90kgs too - if I put my back into losing some of this weight I should find it easier and, as a consequence, be able to run more :-)
  • BravoGolf Moderator 28 Apr 2013 11:50:08 12,740 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I went for a weekend run on Saturday morning. Am pleased to say my knees were fine but just in case I limited the run to 23km (plus I was surprised at how tense my muscles still were after a few runs during the week and last weekend). Forced myself to get up at 06:30 in the morning and get my weekend run. Started running at 07:20 feeling cold and still a little sore from the week, finished feeling awesome! Fastest half marathon ever too at 1:41 (which I'm chuffed with given I didn't think I was even pushing it).

http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/activity/running/BravoGolf/detail/2135985101
  • Vortex808 29 Apr 2013 16:40:21 6,979 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Glad to read that. I did a 5-miler on sunday. My ITB flared up again towards the end.

I am not entirely sure I will make the 10k I'm supposed to run in 4 weeks or so. I think I am going to run just once a week and see how that goes. If I can survive a few more weeks, then I will try to rest it for a few months after that.

I thought all my years of ITB problems had finally gone away completely after a couple of years when I barely ran after our son was born. I have happily run with no injury issues for the last few years after getting back to it.

That 1/2 marathon running on snow and ice in march has completely wrecked me again.

:(
  • AccidentProne 5 May 2013 13:34:17 1,154 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nerves just starting to kick in ahead of my first ever marathon tomorrow. Could do with it cooling off a bit too. Really haven't had a chance to do much training at this sort of temperature and when I did, suffered with some nasty cramp...
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 5 May 2013 14:16:20 2,600 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good luck AP !

Try your best to relax and enjoy it.
    Also try to follow your normal routine pre race and
    not to get off too fast.
  • AccidentProne 5 May 2013 14:31:06 1,154 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers!

I'm really bad at judging pace. I pretty much always go off too fast and end up with positive splits on my long training runs. Think I'll try and run with the four hour pacer as much as possible, as I'm sure being more experienced they'll run it sensibly.

Not really set myself a time, just want to make it round for my first attempt. Saying that, I'll be over the moon if I do make it in under four hours.
  • CosmicFuzz 5 May 2013 14:44:26 23,363 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good luck! Slow steady pace is definitely important. Can always speed up at the end if you want to. Let us know how you get on!

Can video games be a force for good? My latest article says yes!

• Vortex808 5 May 2013 14:44:45 6,979 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good luck indeed. Try to enjoy it and not stress about it too much tonight.
  • mrpon 5 May 2013 15:40:34 28,495 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good luck AP, hot today tomorrow so plenty of liquids. Just don't do a Radcliffe!

• AccidentProne 5 May 2013 17:03:52 1,154 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks all.

Yeah, doing a Radcliffe is one of my greatest running fears. I know you're not supposed to mix gels and sports drink as that can lead to dodgy guts, but I don't know if I'll be getting enough electrolytes with just the gels and water when it's as warm as forecast?

Might just take some Immodium and risk mixing my drinks/gels...
  • Pinky_Floyd 5 May 2013 23:18:51 7,467 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Interesting read - http://camilleherron.com/2011/05/11/overcoming-stress-fractures/
  • SaucyGeoff 6 May 2013 09:34:39 2,560 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Good luck AP!
  • mrpon 6 May 2013 10:42:26 28,495 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hot today AP!

• Page

of 206 First / Last