Nike+ - New EG challenges Page 174

• Page

of 206 First / Last

• mrpon 11 Apr 2013 13:47:10 28,913 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When you click on someones profile the URL contains their EG name, if they have signed up with the same name of course.

I tried 10k for 5 consecutive days a year or so back and just managed it. 10 miles is insanity!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• SaucyGeoff 11 Apr 2013 13:51:23 2,576 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @AccidentProne Ah, I'd not seen that leaderboard before! At least it's something. I only really have yourself and Gurg on it though (does mrpon's meagre contribution count?), aiming for around 150k this month.

Gurg, there is no way my body would let me run 70 miles in 7 days. My marathon training has be fairly steady due to injury problems/worries, and where possible I'm running on grass. Got a 30k planned for Sunday!

Rhythm, do you work in the centre of Leeds? Last year I did plenty summer miles up and down the canal towpath during my lunch times. Someone told me that they'd were planning on improving the path, but not been down yet this year to see whats been done.
  • mrpon 11 Apr 2013 13:54:32 28,913 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How very dare you!

• SaucyGeoff 11 Apr 2013 14:17:31 2,576 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    :)

I really tried to delete that sentence, but just couldnt bring myself to do it.
  • AccidentProne 11 Apr 2013 14:39:25 1,163 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @SaucyGeoff Ahh, so you're on about 60km so far this month? Wondered who that was, as we seemed to be pretty close distance wise. I'll be aiming for about 200km again I think, though really depends on my training plan and I start tapering next week...
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 11 Apr 2013 15:36:14 2,602 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes some healthy competition there. But come on MrPon ! That's poor ;)

I'm quite happy being the thread loon. I may even take a day off next week.

My knee still isn't right and I've got physio on Monday night so my physio may pull a face when she asks how my running is going.
  • mrpon 11 Apr 2013 15:45:43 28,913 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm on it.

• Deleted user 11 April 2013 20:20:04
    @SaucyGeoff I do, yes. Not been on the canal for a few months but I know there's been tons of work around there over the winter.
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 12 Apr 2013 07:51:41 2,602 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dear diary, Day 6, I'm f@*cked.

Rugby training last night has taken it's toll and this mornings run was very tough.

I've combined my runs this week with a hair brained eating plan of only consuming the equivalent calories that I use running - i.e Nike+ say my runs use approx 1300 cals a day so I will only eat approx 1300 cals a day.

Last night I dreamt I was in some sort of hostage situation whereby if I stopped running I'd die "Speed" the film for running I suppose.

On this mornings run I fantasised about sitting on the beach with a Lucozade Zero and a Mars bar. May do that on tomorrow's run.

I think it's getting to me now.
  • AccidentProne 12 Apr 2013 08:04:43 1,163 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not surprised. I've only done 2x10miles in the past 3 days and that was bad enough. Not looking forward to the 35km this weekend.

1300cal a day is way too low. Had a medical last year and was recommended to aim for 3500 a day at my usual activity level, and I'm only 5'10". You must be running on empty?
  • mrpon 12 Apr 2013 08:44:53 28,913 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Time to reevaluate Gurg, that sounds dangerous.

• ReGuRgIt8oR 12 Apr 2013 09:56:41 2,602 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ok. To be a bit more accurate (and less mad) I've not allowed for my recovery drink that I've had for the last 4 days so that should add another 250 cals approx. per day.

I'm eating more today cos I'm starving. Got 2 apples and a 'nana to go with my lunch too.
    Then I will be a good boy again.

Good luck with your 35km AP. It does feel daunting but (as I'm sure you know) just mentally break it into mini runs and don't be too obsessed with pace near the end. I cut my first such long run short by about 3km and though I mentally beat myself up about it that day I realised it was the right thing to do. I nailed it on the next attempt.

Good luck.
  • Findus 12 Apr 2013 10:56:06 144 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been following this thread for a bit and whereas I'm not on 20 mile run nightly :), Last October I couldn't run 1K without stopping now I've just managed under the hour for 10K for me it's such a milestone, and I've been well and truly been bitten by the running bug (Just over 58 minutes) But my mind says I want to go further so I'm doing the manchester BUPA run in May (my first "race" and then 2 weeks later I'm doing the Mersey tunnel 10K.

I want to then try and get myself into Half marathon training for the Liverpool half marathon for March of next year. Do you just continue slowly build the distance as I've been doing in the 10K a half or 1K extra for a while to get used to it and increase again? Or do you completely start training from scratch in terms of how when and where you run?

To be honest at the end of my 10K's I'm pretty much dead on my feet, so the thought of this only bein half way in a half marathon fills me with dread ha.

Oh by the way I've become a tad obsessed with the Nike+ including it's niggles, weird GPS routes, stopping recording of distances but continues to time you.
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 12 Apr 2013 11:41:33 2,602 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Welcome and well done !

Don't be put off by us talking mega miles. If you go back far enough you will find a fair few of us who started off just like you.

My advice is un-scientific but my progress was achieved just as you say - add a km a week or so. I may be mad now but I started off quite sensibly.

Liverpool half is a good event and I'm sure you will enjoy it and cope quite well if you continue your steady plan that you are on.

I'm doing the Tunnel 10k too and it's another great event. Don't worry about the tunnel. It's early on 2km in (ish) and although you can smell and taste you are in a tunnel it's not too bad. I'm meant to be doing it dressed as Hong Kong Phooey so keep an eye out ( and chuck a quid in my bucket !).
  • mrpon 12 Apr 2013 11:57:13 28,913 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll add one key word here: consistency. You'll be surprised how your fitness drops off if you leave it a few months. Don't I know it ;)

Congrats and well done Findus, lay off those pancakes.

• Findus 12 Apr 2013 13:13:42 144 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers lads, it's weird how quickly it all sort of comes together, and you are both running far and doing the times.

My aim when I signed up for manchester 10K was to finish without stopping then when that got easier it changed to the hour, now I've gone under now the day itself will be really good as I know I can do the thing.

In a way the 10K races are really the beginning of the half marathon training.

I'm back out tomorrow for another 10K then sunday a nice slow one, not bad for someone who hated cross country as a kid and hated running full stop. And despite those off days we have where we can't get going, I love my running.
  • AccidentProne 17 Apr 2013 09:12:04 1,163 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ReGuRgIt8oR wrote:
    Good luck with your 35km AP. It does feel daunting but (as I'm sure you know) just mentally break it into mini runs and don't be too obsessed with pace near the end. I cut my first such long run short by about 3km and though I mentally beat myself up about it that day I realised it was the right thing to do. I nailed it on the next attempt.
    Was sick at the weekend, so had to attempt this after work yesterday. Only made 33km though, as I was pretty much crippled with cramp by that point. Was absolutely covered in salt when I got back, so obviously a sweatier mess than I expected. Must make sure to take in more electrolytes on race day.

Bit disappointed I didn't quite make my target distance, my pace was way off too. I'll be lucky to make it round in 4 hours if I feel like that on the day. Annoyingly, my last long run (30km) I managed a pace of 5:20/km, which I'd be happy with come race day, yesterday ended up at 5:47, though I had a lot of stops for stretches at the end, to try and iron out the cramp.

Not going to have a chance to have another crack at it now, as I'm into my taper at this point, with less than three weeks to go...
  • Popzeus 18 Apr 2013 08:35:35 8,330 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Morning chaps

I haven't been in the thread for a while as I switched over to a Garmin when my Nike+ watch died last year, but I have stuck at it and I'm running my first marathon in London on Sunday, raising a few quid for Alzheimer's Research in the process.

Just wanted to drop by and say, this thread was what got me started with running properly - especially the monthly distance challenges - so thanks guys.

I'll just leave this link here in case any of you are feeling generous.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Plant 21 Apr 2013 18:01:25 253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Would someone mind reposting a link to the challenge page, I've just gotten around to setting my account up, and the link on the op just sends me to the nike store front.
    Thanks
  • AccidentProne 21 Apr 2013 18:15:53 1,163 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Challenges aren't working at the moment unfortuntaly. Next best thing is to add some of the folks from this thread as friends on the Nike site as it'll keep track of a monthly leaderboard.
  • Plant 21 Apr 2013 18:18:09 253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @AccidentProne
    cheers
    is there a list of user names about? If not I'll update this post as I find peoples.
    plant-plant0509-me
    AccidentProne-accidentprone-Matt Hart

Edited by Plant at 18:23:26 21-04-2013
  • AccidentProne 21 Apr 2013 18:26:27 1,163 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yup, that's me. Not sure if you can see friends of friends through the site, but there's a few other EGers on my list.
  • AccidentProne 21 Apr 2013 18:27:04 1,163 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Popzeus
    So, how'd you get on in London?
  • Vortex808 21 Apr 2013 19:22:29 7,142 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Managed my first 3.5 mile run in 4weeks after my ITB imploded on a half-marathon last month.

Everything feels ok, so I should hopefully be ok for the next 10k I have in may. Phew!
  • Popzeus 22 Apr 2013 07:45:27 8,330 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    @Popzeus
    So, how'd you get on in London?
    5:06:27. Slightly disappointed not to get under 5hrs, especially given that I was on track for it at halfway, but pretty pleased overall. Was bloody roasting too after 4 months of training in the snow and ice.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• SaucyGeoff 22 Apr 2013 09:56:56 2,576 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well done mate! Enjoyed watching parts of it on the TV. All inspiring stuff.

Getting nervous about mine next month now. Had a setback yesterday, run was going very nicely until I went over on my ankle 4 miles from home. Don't think I've done any long term damage, but it certainly hurt at the time, and pretty sore and bruised this morning. No money, no phone so had to spend a fairly miserable hour walking home.
  • mrpon 22 Apr 2013 10:27:02 28,913 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jesus, 5 hours running. That's brutal, congrats fella.

• CosmicFuzz 22 Apr 2013 10:28:36 24,325 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well done Popzeus! That's awesome. It was such an incredible atmosphere I thought. My mate managed in just a few minutes over 4 hours, he's set a high bar to beat next year when I'm fighting fit again. No way I would have managed that this year, even before my injury.

And sorry to hear about your injury SG :(

I've got an appointment booked at the podiatrist in a few weeks so I'll get my insoles made up. Then I'm going to fuck my fallen arch right up its... Arch!

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• AccidentProne 22 Apr 2013 14:49:10 1,163 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Popzeus
    Well done mate. Had a friend come in around the 5 hour mark, she found it hard going too. Hope it's a little cooler for mine in a couple of weeks. Getting rather nervous now.

In other news, I got my first black toenails at the weekend. Not painful or anything, but I'm a bit worried they'll fall off and start hurting just in time for my race.
  • Vortex808 22 Apr 2013 16:44:32 7,142 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    In other news, I got my first black toenails at the weekend. Not painful or anything, but I'm a bit worried they'll fall off and start hurting just in time for my race.
    I hope you avoid that. I still have traces of blood under mine from whenever i got that months ago when training for my 1/2M.

Just in case you get the same effects as I did, it still seemed to get uncomfortable for a few hours after a run for a fair few weeks afterwards. I guess my toes swelled a bit and put it under more pressure. I don't think it was bleeding anymore after those runs, but that was my initial concern.

The nail never came off, but it definitely lifted a bit. TBH it still looks a bit manky and weird due to the pressure build up underneath despite the actual area that went black almost growing out now.
  • Page

of 206 First / Last