Nike+ - New EG challenges Page 173

• Page

of 206 First / Last

• monkeypuzzle 11 Jan 2013 20:29:27 1,947 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes bought the one with the built in jobbie. I then read something about Nike plus site not syncing with 7th gen Nano's! Still I will report back.

I did get angry, had to have a complete change of clothes again.

Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

• ReGuRgIt8oR 11 Jan 2013 20:43:26 2,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My knee problem is a lot better than it could have been.
    Latest expert opinion ( doctor and physiotherapist ) is that I've only stretched my medial collateral ligament and it doesn't have a tear.

I've now been told to remove all strapping and try to walk, sit etc on it as normal. Got some stretching exercises to do to get it back to normal ASAP. They think I may be able to run again in 4 weeks ( which means 2 in my world ).

:)
  • AccidentProne 21 Jan 2013 12:12:27 1,163 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bah, thanks to moving house and now this stinking weather, I'm getting well behind in my marathon training plan.

Really can't face the treadmill for anything over 5k, so that's not an option and am tempted to brave the elements and head out later. Just wondering if anyone's tried running in Yaktrax or something similar?
  • AccidentProne 22 Jan 2013 19:26:09 1,163 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Picked up a pair of Yaktrax, as they were only 9 in my local Go Outdoors. Managed an incredibly icy 10k without falling on my arse. Was bloody slow though, but felt good to get out despite the weather. Fuck you winter!
  • SaucyGeoff 22 Jan 2013 20:16:39 2,576 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've been out a few times over the last week, just have to forget about pace and concentrate on getting round. Which Marathon are you aiming for. I've got a place in the Yorkshire marathon which isn't until October. Still a possibility I might sign up for a spring one. Maybe Windermere.
  • AccidentProne 22 Jan 2013 20:58:03 1,163 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've got Milton Keynes in May then Loch Ness in September. Also doing the Cambridge half in March and hopefully the St Neots half and maybe a few others later in the year.

A friend is going for 40 races 10k and up this year to celebrate turning 40. I might join him on a few of those too.
  • SaucyGeoff 1 Feb 2013 15:13:09 2,576 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ran 79k in January. Mainly fairly steady, but easily my best effort for a while. Hoping for 100+ in Feb, starting with a hungover parkrun tomorrow morning.
  • CosmicFuzz 1 Feb 2013 16:12:43 24,326 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I seem to have buggered my left knee when running last weekend. Am up to half marathon distance, need to get to full marathon by end of April. Doable?

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• SaucyGeoff 1 Feb 2013 16:21:23 2,576 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    More than enough time, depends on the extent of your injury though. A week or two resting your knee is probably wise. You wouldn't loose much, especially if you can do some cardio work which is lighter on the joints (cycling/swimming etc).
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 4 Feb 2013 18:00:47 2,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finally back to running again.

Managed a couple of smallish runs and knee feels relatively ok so fingers crossed.

Still need to take it easy(ish) fora couple of weeks though to get myself back in the swing of things.
  • AccidentProne 4 Feb 2013 18:39:51 1,163 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't overdo it. I'm worried that I didn't ease myself back in slowly enough after my injury last year, as I still get the odd twinge in my shins.

Missed my last couple of runs thanks to this and I'm getting worried about my half marathon in a few weeks. Already been up to 12 miles so I reckon I'll be ok, but the last thing I want to do is reactivate the old injury ahead of my first marathon in May.
  • SaucyGeoff 5 Feb 2013 10:42:19 2,576 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Heh, I think we're all pretty good at telling people to "take it easy", and not following that advice ourselves. Not being able to run is so frustrating.
  • Vortex808 5 Feb 2013 11:03:08 7,142 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SaucyGeoff wrote:
    Heh, I think we're all pretty good at telling people to "take it easy", and not following that advice ourselves. Not being able to run is so frustrating.
    :)

All too true. After a month out with illness I fired out for a 6 miler on saturday. I was going to do more, but my knee was getting really sore where it usually does if I flare up the ITB issues.

I should really know better than to do too much too quickly by now.....

Still, I'll have to wait and see how it is next weekend when I try 7 miles or so. That half-marathon I'm supposed to be doing is in less than two months now. ;-)

Looking at my Nike+ log was sad reading too. Fine uo to Nov, none at all in dec (illness), a few at the start of jan, then nothing for 4 weeks.

Bloody kids and their disease spreading ways.
  • SaucyGeoff 9 Feb 2013 16:47:08 2,576 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Set a PB for the first time in over 2 years today. 21.11 at this morning's York Parkrun. Great feeling.
  • AccidentProne 9 Feb 2013 18:05:44 1,163 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well done. Wish I could get close to that sort of time again, but it's just not happening at the moment. Managed 23.30 in a park run late last year, but I'm concentrating on building my distances up at the moment, so generally going a lot slower.

Can't see myself setting any PBs for a while, it's pretty depressing really. At least I'll get one in my marathon, assuming I make it round...
  • SaucyGeoff 9 Feb 2013 22:43:19 2,576 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm trying to use the parkruns as a distraction to the longer stuff. Perfect conditions helped, although looks like it'll be anything but nice for tomorrow's 10 miles.
  • AccidentProne 10 Feb 2013 12:43:10 1,163 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just got back from my furthest run so far at just under 23km. Was going at a snail's pace though and I'm still completely broken. Fuck knows where I'm going to find the next 20km for the marathon...
  • NOSAVIOUR 10 Feb 2013 13:22:20 2,804 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We put on our first running event yesterday for a group of 16 people 'The Run Of The Wild'. Couldn't have gone better. Video here if anyone is interested The Run Of The Wild
  • SaucyGeoff 11 Feb 2013 16:25:14 2,576 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Solid 15k yesterday. Running in the rain always destoys my nips though. Sore.
  • Zomoniac 12 Feb 2013 14:01:18 7,827 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SaucyGeoff wrote:
    Solid 15k yesterday. Running in the rain always destoys my nips though. Sore.
    You tried running in a base layer or compression top under your shirt? I find having something very skintight under my shirt stops nipple destroyage.

/awaits sport's response
  • SaucyGeoff 21 Mar 2013 10:04:46 2,576 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    While uploading last night's run, a message popped up telling me it was 3 years since I registered my nike+ account! The fact I'm still running now owes a lot to nike+ and the enthusiasm from this thread over the first couple of years.

Read back through some of the posts from the early days, good times.
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 21 Mar 2013 10:33:56 2,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, the same goes for me.

We had a good community going until Nike all but killed it off by pulling the challenges. Stupid idea by them as surely regular activity by groups like this helps promote their product/service.

I've given up even trying to see if they are still planning on bringing the challenges back.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 4 Apr 2013 20:34:52 12,745 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One year to the day I started running! Pretty pleased with my performance, ran a marathon in October (my first) and have ran 850km in the year gone.

My aim is to run the marathon again without needing to stop (I would stop every 5km for about 3 minutes, walking, and then resume running). Here's where I need your advice. Presently my training regime is to do a long run each weekend with one, maybe two (but usually one) shorter run mid week.

My long run is around 22km but aiming to each week add a little, last week was 25km (at about a 5 minute KM). My short run would be about 8 to 10km.

Is that the right approach or should I do a lot more shorter runs instead? I find that after about 23km it gets harder and slower to ramp up but was wondering do I merely persevere or is my approach off?
  • AccidentProne 4 Apr 2013 21:32:22 1,163 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, I've not run a marathon yet, but my current plan is a long weekend run (up to 30km now), a longish (10 mile or so) midweek run and a couple of other sessions. They'll be either intervals, hill sprints or a jog mixed in with some cross training down the gym.

I'm definitely no expert, but maybe adding another session and trying some intervals / fartlek / hill sprints could help?

There are plenty of marathon training plans on the runners world forums, though so far I've been using the Asics planner for mine.
  • SaucyGeoff 11 Apr 2013 08:52:55 2,576 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Getting fed up with the lack of challenges. Wonder if they ever plan on bringing them back.
  • mrpon 11 Apr 2013 09:02:00 28,913 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    According to the twitter feed (@nikesupport) they haven't announced when the update will occur, "but be sure to follow us!"

Pfft.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• AccidentProne 11 Apr 2013 09:27:53 1,163 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @SaucyGeoff until they sort that out, just add folks off here to your friends list, as it does keep a monthly distance leader-board.

According to mine, Gurgy is kicking arse again, although I managed to finish first for March :)

Don't think I can catch him for April though as after my last long run on Saturday (35km!!!) I'll start tapering ahead of my marathon.
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 11 Apr 2013 12:52:04 2,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got bored of no challenges so decided to set myself one.

I'm trying 10 miles a day for 7 consecutive days.
    5 days in so far and it's tougher than I thought. My thighs are killing me.
    Tomorrow morning will be a tough one as I've got rugby training tonight.

My Nike friends list mainly seems to be real names now so Acc Prone I assume
    that you are "M H" on my friends list.

I'm thinking of entering a new event which is 52 miles over 6 races spread over 7 days.
    It includes a "10 mile beach run" so in my mad runs this week I've been adding some
    beach work.
    So far managed to include 3miles out of my 10 on the beach.

Edited by ReGuRgIt8oR at 12:54:11 11-04-2013
  • Deleted user 11 April 2013 13:12:20
    Bloody hell, Gurg, you're nuts! :-D

I'm still running, my challenge for the year is the same as the one that got canceled last year - 1,000 miles (1600km) in one year. I'm pretty much bang on schedule too, with 455km tracked since January.

Not sure if you can see this but...
  • AccidentProne 11 Apr 2013 13:25:18 1,163 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, my friends list seems to be mostly real names too. Not sure how to set it to show your screen name, but yeah I'm Matt Hart on there.

10 miles a day is lunacy! Don't think my legs could take it. I tend to only run 4-5 times a week, without any long runs on consecutive days and as it is, my legs are constantly sore.
  • Page

of 206 First / Last