Nike+ - New EG challenges Page 171

• Page

of 207 First / Last

• catterz 30 Oct 2012 11:58:17 8,763 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm really not sure what time I prefer to run. Must admit I'm feeling a bit drained, though I've probably done more work this morning than I normally would after waking up and rushing a shit/shave/shower before getting to work.

The cold doesn't bother me, as I'm pretty warm after the first mile. I can't run my preferred route at night because it's a forest trail, but waking up early is something I'm not very good at, especially considering I usually don't sleep til 12:30am/1am.

Still stalking this place, old-school style (UID: 1053)

• BravoGolf Moderator 30 Oct 2012 12:21:47 12,748 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You should watch your pace, it's amazing how what feels like a subtle or minor increase in your run speed can be so much more tiring. That's a late bed time too if you're getting up early to run but everybody's different, Vroom! from here sleeps only a couple of hours a night!

One thing I highly recommend, to anyone considering or doing any running, is getting running advice. The chap I met does running sessions and complete transformed my technique (because I was so very bad at it) and it makes a huge difference.
  • catterz 30 Oct 2012 12:37:23 8,763 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I used to get a lot of advice from an ex-colleague who ran his first marathon last year, but generally I read a lot about training techniques online nowadays.

Run a marathon is on my bucket list... I think I'll be waiting til 2014 to try it though.

• Vortex808 30 Oct 2012 12:56:40 7,342 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    One thing I highly recommend, to anyone considering or doing any running, is getting running advice. The chap I met does running sessions and complete transformed my technique (because I was so very bad at it) and it makes a huge difference.
    Tell me about it- I've realised I have to work on my running position over the last month or so. Having upped my distances from 10k's to 10 miles plus, I seem to have developed a weird gait as I tire where from 7-8 miles I start to lean forwards a bit, which is not good for my hips or knees.

I've reined my distances in a bit just now to build more stamina, as well as having to force myself to lean back to hold my back upright like normal. Truly bizarre and I have no idea why I started doing that!
  • BravoGolf Moderator 30 Oct 2012 13:00:38 12,748 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hehe, me too! Every now and again I have to make a conscious effort/reminder to stay loose and straight. I had this annoying habit whereby I'd start to bend forward at my hips (but my back was straight) and, like you, would only start happening when I'm running a good bit. Early on my biggest challenge or technique to adopt was my foot fall, my running comprised of pulling myself forward in a way, and slapping the ground with the flat of my feet almost, as opposed to kicking back and rolling off the ball of my feet. Sounds worse than it was but you'd even hear the difference.
  • Vortex808 30 Oct 2012 13:48:57 7,342 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Hehe, me too! I had this annoying habit whereby I'd start to bend forward at my hips (but my back was straight)
    :D

This is exactly what I have started doing!
  • catterz 1 Nov 2012 08:10:33 8,763 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pain! 4 miles run, but nipple burn, anyone?

• Zomoniac 1 Nov 2012 09:01:54 7,864 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That happens if I do a long run in a loose top, hurts like a bitch. Washing my chest in the post-run shower is agony. Wear a skin-tight base layer to prevent it.
  • mrpon 1 Nov 2012 09:17:52 29,238 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Or Vaseline.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• sport 1 Nov 2012 10:13:15 12,776 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You should shave your chest.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 1 Nov 2012 10:15:26 12,748 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I ran in the rain once, in a normal cotton t-shirt. By the time I had finished my nipples started to bleed, the last KM was agony! Driving home, with a seatbelt across my chest, was horrible!

Wear a running top, they're not as bad. Even then for long runs I've bought these. They're great, they stay on but can come off easily.
  • sport 1 Nov 2012 10:16:18 12,776 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You guys wear tops when you run???
  • mrpon 1 Nov 2012 10:17:38 29,238 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Peep-hole bra for me.

• catterz 1 Nov 2012 14:24:54 8,763 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the nipple tassels are the way to go. I wear running clothing but nothing that's skin-tight. They're still a little sore now!

• AccidentProne 14 Nov 2012 16:27:14 1,168 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I asked on the support page earlier, when the challenges would be back, pointing out that "fall" is almost over. The response doesn't fill me with hope that they'll be back soon...

Hey Matt - We don't have a confirmed date at this time for when the challenges portion of the Nike+ experience will be back. Now is a good time to get some extra training in before entering a competition.
  • mrpon 14 Nov 2012 16:35:17 29,238 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jesus, wtf are they doing with it?!

• CosmicFuzz 14 Nov 2012 16:47:08 25,018 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Booo I've never been running so much and I've nothing to show for it.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• mrpon 14 Nov 2012 20:03:19 29,238 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A schecksy body?

• CosmicFuzz 14 Nov 2012 20:10:45 25,018 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apart from that obvs. Although I was planning on going for a run and ended up going to the pub instead. Now it's early morning instead although best laid plans and all that. ..

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• Vortex808 15 Nov 2012 12:54:14 7,342 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Right, maybe this should be in the other running thread, but having upped my distances to 10 miles+, I am now getting larger calluses.

That's not an issue, but I have encountered something new - part of the toenail on the big toe of my left foot turned black. I assume there has been some pressure/chafing causing blood vessel damage/bruising. It's never happened before, so I'll need to check my socks are arranged carefully next time.

Anyone else had this? Any pointers for avoiding it in future, or does it just happen sometimes with higher mileages?
  • AccidentProne 15 Nov 2012 13:07:03 1,168 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Black toenails are a badge of honour for distance runners apparently.

No idea how to avoid them though, as I've never had one myself. Run shorter distances probably.

Heh, no help at all, sorry. Actually somewhat jealous and no longer feel like a proper runner.
  • mrpon 15 Nov 2012 13:09:24 29,238 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, no pointers other than I've had similar with the little toenail nearly coming off. The only correlation being longer distances.

• CosmicFuzz 15 Nov 2012 13:12:49 25,018 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds like the plague mate.

• BravoGolf Moderator 16 Nov 2012 14:56:16 12,748 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Happened me once, just left it and it eventually went away. Try wearing decent socks, I got the Thousand Mile socks (as recommended on here actually) and they're brilliant for long distance running (about 15 or so miles for me).
  • Vortex808 18 Nov 2012 16:52:02 7,342 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Went for a run again today and kept it to 7 miles since I have the start of a cold our son has kindly passed on.

All seemed well immediately after the run, but after trudging about doing the weekly shop my toe is throbbing a bit.

The discoloured portion is only about a quarter of the nail area, and I thought it would've healed after a week, but I guess it must still be able to leak some blood.

Nice excuse to rest with my foot up for a bit if nothing else. ;-)
  • Vortex808 20 Nov 2012 10:27:19 7,342 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm sure no one cares about my manky toe, but I felt I should share that it looks like the nail is starting to lift slightly at one edge. It was throbbing a bit again last night, and definitely seems more discoloured and over a slightly larger area than last week.

I reckon if it spreads over half the toenail area, it'll be coming off at some point.

Yeesh. Is the area under a toe nail really sensitive and get painful, or does missing a nail not matter much?
  • Popzeus 20 Nov 2012 10:31:28 8,380 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pretty sure it won't trouble you. I had a toenail come off once as a kid and seem to remember it feeling a bit 'weird' till it grew back but not actually hurting.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• CosmicFuzz 20 Nov 2012 11:09:40 25,018 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Christ zombie vortex!

• mrpon 20 Nov 2012 11:14:20 29,238 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have you started vomiting on your food before you eat it V?

• Vortex808 20 Nov 2012 11:35:48 7,342 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If I start getting shivery and turning grey/green I'll try to let you know.

All this training had better help me catch some braaains if I do turn! ;-)
  • Page

of 207 First / Last