Nike+ - New EG challenges Page 168

• Page

of 206 First / Last

• Vortex808 2 Sep 2012 13:50:18 6,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tried this again after recalibration and it worked much better calling the mileage right. Even tried it's music shuffle feature and it was quite good. Heard a lot of stuff i hadn't listened to in ages.

Not sure that the Smith's 'That joke isn't funny anymore' was the best hill slog soundtrack though ;-)

It didn't overwrite its borked quickest mile stat before i calibrated it though, which is rather annoying. :(

Edit: Having had a quick search it seemsloads of folk have had similar issues. I have now deleted that damned run, so hopefully it will sort it all out. I just hope it doesn't add it back in when I sync my next run.

Edited by Vortex808 at 16:23:51 02-09-2012
  • BravoGolf Moderator 5 Sep 2012 13:36:18 12,740 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Amazing what a small change of pace does. I rank 5k today and ran an extra 30 seconds per KM. I was knackered! It's surprising how I can barely run 5k at 4.50/km and could run 20k at 5 or 6 mins!
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 12 Sep 2012 17:20:47 2,600 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been tinkering with my pace in an attempt to prep myself for the Liverpool Marathon in a months time.

Currently find I can keep a reasonably consistent pace for first 21kms and then it drops off for the second 21kms . So I have tried to run it all still in same overall time but to slow my pace slightly at the beginning and maintain a consistent 5:30min per km for the whole way. However it doesn't work as I still slow too much in the second half.

Problem now is that I can't revert back to my old pace at the beginning - I struggle !

And I'm missing the challenges :(
  • CosmicFuzz 12 Sep 2012 17:30:39 23,390 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I miss the challenges too :(

Good luck on your marathon training dude! I've got one in April next year - how much training do you think is necessary?

My look back at one of the best sequels ever: Uncharted 2.

• ReGuRgIt8oR 12 Sep 2012 20:40:21 2,600 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    IMO you should be fine with April. I built up my long runs by about 3km each time in the four or so months prior until I was at full marathon distance.

Also aiming for approx 40 miles a week along with a few sessions of core work.

Good luck.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 12 Sep 2012 21:58:11 12,740 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ReGuRgIt8oR wrote:
    I've been tinkering with my pace in an attempt to prep myself for the Liverpool Marathon in a months time.

Currently find I can keep a reasonably consistent pace for first 21kms and then it drops off for the second 21kms . So I have tried to run it all still in same overall time but to slow my pace slightly at the beginning and maintain a consistent 5:30min per km for the whole way. However it doesn't work as I still slow too much in the second half.

Problem now is that I can't revert back to my old pace at the beginning - I struggle !

And I'm missing the challenges :(
    That's impressive though! I managed to get my first half marathon on the weekend just gone at about 5:40 per KM towards the end. I'm trying to do the full marathon in Dub at the end of Oct but I wonder now wil I realistically have the distance in me given I'm only at half marathon now.
  • Monsieur_Blade 13 Sep 2012 12:08:46 339 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What do people make of the newly designed ipod nano? I really like it and think its a good mix between the 3rd generation square design and the long thin 5th generation. It should be a nice shape to hold while running too.

I also noticed its got Nike+ built in this time so no need to put the attachment on the bottom of the ipod now. It also said u don't need the attachment in the shoe either but i don't understand how that will work? Unless its got gps built in?
  • mrpon 13 Sep 2012 12:39:35 28,503 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's got a pedometer built in, how accurate that will be who knows. But totally agree on the design, love it.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Monsieur_Blade 13 Sep 2012 13:36:44 339 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    It's got a pedometer built in, how accurate that will be who knows. But totally agree on the design, love it.
    Ah right. Not too sure about the pedometer either. Hopefully it'll still give u the option to sync with the shoe as well. That seems far more accurate.

I love the fact videos back! And the 2.5" screen should actually make videos more than watchable on plane/train journeys too.
  • mrpon 13 Sep 2012 14:04:25 28,503 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Out of the box it won't support the foot sensor. You'll have to buy the receiver that plugs into the bottom of the device. Which obviously has the old connection so you'll also need the new adapter. Not so small and light now is it?!

Apple eh!

:rolleyes:

• Monsieur_Blade 13 Sep 2012 14:19:36 339 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Out of the box it won't support the foot sensor. You'll have to buy the receiver that plugs into the bottom of the device. Which obviously has the old connection so you'll also need the new adapter. Not so small and light now is it?!

Apple eh!

:rolleyes:
    Are u sure it won't support the foot sensor? From what i read the receiver was now built into the ipod so surely that should be able to pick up the foot sensor?

If i have to buy all my Nike+ kit again I'm not gonna be happy! This pedometer better be up to scratch!
  • mrpon 14 Sep 2012 17:09:55 28,503 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll be honest with you I don't know for sure, I'm just fearing the worst based on what I've read so far. I know the 6th gen required the separate adapter plugging in if you wanted to use the foot sensor.

• Vortex808 22 Sep 2012 13:12:32 6,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    WTF is with this app? Ran 9.7 miles in 85mins, breaking my current sync'd 10k 'record' on the way. However, my 1k and 5k records now show as 0:00, yet my mile time is fine.

I am not deleting another run just to sort this shit out.

These challenges better be worth it, or I'm going back to runkeeper. At least the nike app has a handy shuffle option to keep the music coming without having to faff with my phone en route I s'pose...
  • AccidentProne 22 Sep 2012 13:51:37 1,154 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I find that the app usually screws up at the start of my run, while trying to find a gps signal I think. Seems a bit more reliable if I switch it on and pause while walking for a few minutes before starting the run.

My current 5k pb is from a dubious run where it took off 500m or so at the start. I've come close to beating it though, so left it there for motivation.
  • Vortex808 22 Sep 2012 14:40:30 6,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It might be that. I'll check how much of the run it tracked.
  • Vortex808 22 Sep 2012 15:30:40 6,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Somehow this shitey app lost all my run data except for the last mile. Which it then packs 9mile markers on in the satellite view.

Utter fucking bollocks. Thats two runs I've had to delete just to get accurate-ish stats in a month. I know there's no point in keeping at as another run will not overwrite those impossible 0:00 km and 5km stats.

I think it's back to runkeeper. How can you even do challenges with it in this state?
  • AccidentProne 22 Sep 2012 15:51:57 1,154 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I think a few folks use the foot sensor rather than the GPS. Apart from a few glitches, I've not had all that many problems with it. Might be worth resetting the calibration, see if that helps? Then again, I know how infuriating it is losing any running data, so could see why you'd not want to use it anymore.

Maybe give it another try when the challenges are up and running again?
  • AccidentProne 22 Sep 2012 15:53:26 1,154 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also, knowing what a piece of shit the app is, I tend to keep an eye on it as I go.
  • CosmicFuzz 22 Sep 2012 16:16:19 23,390 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've only had the app muck up my runs when I'm going somewhere with dodgy signal. My gf lives on a farm and we often go running along the hills but the signal is crap and often the app struggles. I'm not sure why it would as the gps should be fine.

• mrpon 22 Sep 2012 16:36:29 28,503 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Foot sensor all the way for me (with last gen Touch) it's pretty accurate as well when comparing a road distance with a treadmill version.

• Vortex808 22 Sep 2012 16:56:55 6,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I've only had the app muck up my runs when I'm going somewhere with dodgy signal. My gf lives on a farm and we often go running along the hills but the signal is crap and often the app struggles. I'm not sure why it would as the gps should be fine.
    That's the thing. GPS should be fine wherever. It must be a known issue as the last update I had for the app was to deal with boosting gps signal strength. I've only ever had issues at the start with a minor delay until satellite connection before. Never had it drop 8 miles of data before.

It's weird, having had to delete my stats for it, it almost feels like the run never happened. Apart from the large-ish callus/blood blister i picked up in the last mile! :-O

I think I'll retreat back to runkeeper for a bit, then come back when the challenges are back.

It's odd how much it annoys me, since for decades I only used a watch (and a heart rate monitor from time to time). It's weird how you quickly adapt to and come to rely on new tech in the space of a few years!

Edit: The distance calibration is spot on after my initial calibration, so I don't think that'd help.

Edited by Vortex808 at 16:59:08 22-09-2012
  • mrpon 22 Sep 2012 17:07:11 28,503 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tunnel running? ;)

• CosmicFuzz 22 Sep 2012 18:22:46 23,390 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Come on challenges! I'm bloody racking up the miles here with nothing to show for it!!

• ReGuRgIt8oR 27 Sep 2012 07:43:48 2,600 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Apparently once you've tried Black there's no going back.

;)

(not that it makes much difference on the Nike site anymore)
  • AccidentProne 27 Sep 2012 07:48:36 1,154 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bloody hell, 5000km!!! Grats Gurgy.

I should hit purple in the next couple of months. Just checked how far I've run so far this year and it looks like I might make it over 1000km again, which is a bit of a surprise, since I've been injured the last four months.
  • AccidentProne 27 Sep 2012 08:01:45 1,154 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just noticed you can still view the current challenges on the new site. Bit surprised to find out I'm in second place still...
  • BravoGolf Moderator 27 Sep 2012 17:10:46 12,740 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm proud of my running since I started \o/ Now running 22k in 2 hours without stopping. I've been doing this to run a marathon but I wonder will I get to 43k in time (end of Oct, as in 1 month!). Anyway, my question dear fellows ... if I run 30k this weekend (which I'm fairly confident in my ability to do) should I be stopping every now and again for a drink? I see people bringing water with them but I never do, too much bother to carry it around!
  • AccidentProne 27 Sep 2012 17:43:46 1,154 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I usually take water if I'm going over 20km, though it depends on how hot it is and what sort of pace I'm going n stuff. If you're well hydrated beforehand you might be alright. Personally, I'd not risk it and take a small bottle or something.
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 27 Sep 2012 22:12:43 2,600 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd agree with AP.

I don't usually bother with water until approx 25k. I use either a bottle belt thingy or plan my route to pass a shop and pop in to buy water. If I'm going for 30k plus I also use a gel (2 if pushing to near full marathon distance).
  • BravoGolf Moderator 28 Sep 2012 08:45:21 12,740 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cool, thanks. I can stop at a shop halfway there and buy a bottle of water. Is it recommended to only drink a small bit? What's the gel you refer to?
  • Page

of 206 First / Last