Nike+ - New EG challenges Page 5

• Page

of 207 First / Last

• neilch 12 Feb 2010 19:30:36 741 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bastards!:-) ... my alarm didn't go off this morning so missed my morning run and off to the pub now for a birthday, grrrr .... won't get out now until tomorrow morning.
  • neilch 12 Feb 2010 19:30:37 741 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • KingOfSpain 12 Feb 2010 19:42:21 5,187 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Neilch is so angry with himself he had to tell us 3 times!!

:-)
  • CosmicFuzz 12 Feb 2010 20:04:31 24,929 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got my eye on a couple of Nike+ wrist band thingys on ebay, hopefully pick one up second hand (ie cheap!) to use for a couple of months before my iphone upgrade is due.

Sunday morning shall be my next run, aiming for a 6K.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• KingOfSpain 12 Feb 2010 20:12:50 5,187 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I've got my eye on a couple of Nike+ wrist band thingys on ebay, hopefully pick one up second hand (ie cheap!) to use for a couple of months before my iphone upgrade is due.

Sunday morning shall be my next run, aiming for a 6K.

How much have you seen one for?
  • SmokingKipper 12 Feb 2010 20:39:00 109 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, that was a great run. Prior to this I only ever ran 5k, but did a 6k last week with @KingofSpain. Figured I would try and go a bit further tonight.

Friggin' Forest gump is who I was! Got to 7k and thought "well I may as well run to the roundabout". 9k and said "well you got this far, you might as well run 10k". Then I got to 10k and threw another 2k in there to try and get close to Mike. All in all, a very fun run. Not really out of breath, could have gone further, but I need to hold myself back to avoid injury; I certainly will not be running 12k every time.

I really suprised myself tonight (first time I ever hit 10k, or 7k for that matter) and plan to have a few glasses of wine to get back some of those 1000 calories I just burned!

• mikew1985 13 Feb 2010 11:01:38 12,892 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yea fair play man, really good run. I'm screweed now though, you are going to overtake me this weekend as I've football tomorrow so I won't be able to fit in another run until Monday.

Bastard ;)
  • mrpon 13 Feb 2010 14:04:54 29,202 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Only managed a measily 5k today. Think I'm going to struggle with blisters.

Special socks or better trainers?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• neilch 13 Feb 2010 14:33:11 741 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:

The rage and half a shandy combined to make an itchy trigger finger :-)

Good going so far chaps, looks like I'm going to have to figure out something a little longer than my usual 6k circuit including cool down walk.
  • KingOfSpain 13 Feb 2010 14:38:23 5,187 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    neilch wrote:
    KingOfSpain wrote:

The rage and half a shandy combined to make an itchy trigger finger :-)

Good going so far chaps, looks like I'm going to have to figure out something a little longer than my usual 6k circuit including cool down walk.

That's the great thing about the Nike challenges, they keep you pushing yourself further and further.

My normal run has been 5k but I've had to up the distance too.
  • KingOfSpain 13 Feb 2010 15:06:16 5,187 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Only managed a measily 5k today. Think I'm going to struggle with blisters.

Special socks or better trainers?

What trainers are you using at the moment? I'm not an expert but I was told by many people that a good pair of running shoes, that are right for your feet, are a must.
  • SmokingKipper 13 Feb 2010 15:24:23 109 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^ best advice tbh.

Getting some running trainers makes a massive difference to comfert and performance.

When I first got mine, it felt like I was running on a cloud, and go to a proper sports shop were they can check your stride. you dont have to spend a fortune either.
  • mrpon 13 Feb 2010 15:39:37 29,202 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just a pair of Nike Airs. I've always struggled though with blisters. I've heard vaselining your feet helps!

• KingOfSpain 13 Feb 2010 15:52:24 5,187 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Just a pair of Nike Airs. I've always struggled though with blisters. I've heard vaselining your feet helps!

There are a lot of experts in the Running thread that may be able to help you.
  • mikew1985 13 Feb 2010 16:29:54 12,892 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mrpon wrote:

Asics are supposedly excellent. It's a must to get actual running shoes though, I'm currently using some Nike running shoes and they've been really good so far. Make sure that they are specifically running shoes as it will make a huge difference.
  • KingOfSpain 13 Feb 2010 16:33:59 5,187 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    white_frank_white wrote:
    This would over take the match.com thread as teh dullest thread on EG if there wasn't 50 other equally as dull threads about the exciting trials and tribulations of running already

Thanks for your input.
  • trip919 13 Feb 2010 16:38:59 2,274 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    milknoodle wrote:
    If you're unfamiliar with it this is the best advert.

It's basically a little doohickey you attach to your shoe, and a little nubbin (yes, these are the technical terms) that attaches to your ipod. Then you go running and it records your distance/pace/time and all that good stuff, which gets uploaded to the Nike site where you can look at your stats and set goals/challenges. It's a great way to keep you motivated, but the link pretty much says it all.

We have the EG Challenge of Awesome starting tomorrow.
    Please join up!
    Kalel is a mong.

Physical exercise? I feel sick at the thought.
  • otto Moderator 13 Feb 2010 16:39:29 49,320 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Question for you chaps (and this is genuine, not a troll): do you actually enjoy your runs? Please be honest. Because I'd like to go running, I really would, but I know I wouldn't enjoy it. I wonder if that's just me? I'd always assumed that no-one actually enjoys their runs but they enjoy the sense of achievement that comes from doing something really horrible but good for you - but if people are actually enjoying themselves then that explains why I've never been able to stick with it.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• KingOfSpain 13 Feb 2010 16:46:30 5,187 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Question for you chaps (and this is genuine, not a troll): do you actually enjoy your runs? Please be honest. Because I'd like to go running, I really would, but I know I wouldn't enjoy it. I wonder if that's just me? I'd always assumed that no-one actually enjoys their runs but they enjoy the sense of achievement that comes from doing something really horrible but good for you - but if people are actually enjoying themselves then that explains why I've never been able to stick with it.

There are times during a run when I'm not enjoying it, that's true. But I can honestly say that I do enjoy the experience.

The part I enjoy the most is the last couple of Ks when I'm knacked but I know I'm close to beating my best time. That's the point when you push on and give it your all.

I'm guessing other runners enjoy different things about it.

Also, Nike does a great job of making it into a great multiplayer game. Have you read the article Milk linked to in the opening post?
  • effinjamie 13 Feb 2010 17:01:58 894 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A lot of the time I find running an excellent relaxer, after a mile or so I can usually zone out and forget all my stress, just concentrating on the pace

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - effinjamie

• mrpon 13 Feb 2010 17:16:01 29,202 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    white_frank_white wrote:
    This would over take the match.com thread as teh dullest thread on EG if there wasn't 50 other equally as dull threads about the exciting trials and tribulations of running already
    Haven't you got a fat head grayson? Perhaps running would help.

• heyyo 13 Feb 2010 18:07:14 14,372 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    otto wrote:

I like running (at 7 - 9 km/h) up until 5k then my shins, ankles, heels start hurting and it becomes the worse thing in the world. You just zone out and have time to think while running, and you actually feel your mood lift while running...but then the pain kicks in and you (I) have to stop.

I do my running in the gym, its warm, there's loud music and also you can see others running which acts as encouragement :) Oh and the treadmill is cushioned and completely flat so that helps.

edit: I wouldn't say I 'enjoy' running as it is by definition boring, its a non-thing, just like walking is. I do however, enjoy lifting weights because there's more to it, like getting to the last rep and struggling, lifting more than you could previously, varying amount or reps/sets/muscle groups... its more techinical than running and your muscles feel good during and after as opposed to leg bones pain from running.
  • KingOfSpain 13 Feb 2010 19:32:18 5,187 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heyyo, would you not say that you enjoy the feeling you get after you've had good run, I'm guessing it's the same feeling you get after you've done loads of weights.

Anyway, you should get the Nike Plus stuff and joint the EG Challenge of Awesome, it's only a day old.
  • heyyo 13 Feb 2010 20:53:03 14,372 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    Heyyo, would you not say that you enjoy the feeling you get after you've had good run, I'm guessing it's the same feeling you get after you've done loads of weights.

Anyway, you should get the Nike Plus stuff and joint the EG Challenge of Awesome, it's only a day old.

I would, but I don't have an iPod! I'd probably be last position with my mere 3-5k treadmill runs :p
  • Deleted user 13 February 2010 20:58:00
    I still cant find my Nike+ thing. So today I bought an almond cake instead.
  • Destria 14 Feb 2010 00:32:47 2,836 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Would joining this require that I a) buy an iPod or Nike+ band thingy, b) buy Nike+ and c) get some Nike shoes?

I'd love to get in on this action, but I'm not too keen on lumping out large quantities of cash when I've already spent a load on a GPS-equipped Garmin doodad!
  • KingOfSpain 14 Feb 2010 00:37:21 5,187 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Destria wrote:
    Would joining this require that I a) buy an iPod or Nike band thingy, b) buy Nike and c) get some Nike shoes?

I'd love to get in on this action, but I'm not too keen on lumping out large quantities of cash when I've already spent a load on a GPS-equipped Garmin doodad!

For the Nike plus to work, you will need;

A Nike plus sensor.

Nike Plus shoes or a way of attaching the sensor to your running shoes. (there are some clever solutions)

A iPod Touch / iPhone 3Gs/ iPod nano or a Nike Sportsband thingy.

Oh, and a computer, but I'm guessing you have one of them already!
  • Popzeus 14 Feb 2010 10:32:03 8,362 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ooo I'll go in for this. Haven't really done much with the Challenges up to now but might as well join in if there's an EG one on the go.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Page

of 207 First / Last