Superman: The Man of Steel Page 4

  • Page

    of 64 First / Last

  • RetardStrong 10 Feb 2010 15:22:22 3,229 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Meh, I'm not a Kevin Smith fan so your trolling is wasted on me :)
  • Spanky 10 Feb 2010 15:23:43 14,525 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not trolling, bringing that one hit wonder into the discussion isn't really going to work. Lets see what rob leifield says on the subject.

    Plubs

  • kalel 10 Feb 2010 15:27:18 88,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Despite bitching about him constantly on this place for the last 7 years, I think if I could choose anyone, it would probably be James Cameron. Hes been interested in doing a hero movie before (was originally signed up for Spider-Man I believe), and I reckon hed do a good job of it. He does epic spectacle very well, and really thats all thats needed. The story is all there already.

    Id also quite like to see Peter Jackson take it on for similar reasons.
  • figgis 10 Feb 2010 15:30:46 7,376 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No origin this time or a 5-10 min pre credit sequence.
  • Nexus_6 10 Feb 2010 15:31:25 3,890 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't know you were such a big Superman fan, Kalel.
  • mcmonkeyplc 10 Feb 2010 15:32:49 39,467 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    James Cameron would take 50 years to make a superman film. He's probably wait till we had real functioning holodecks.

    But yes him or Jackson.

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • kalel 10 Feb 2010 15:38:37 88,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nexus 6 wrote:
    I didn't know you were such a big Superman fan, Kalel.

    :p
  • Articulate-Troll 10 Feb 2010 15:41:38 3,101 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    James Cameron of the past might have been a good idea, but modern James Cameron would just make it a giant 3D spectacle and tack the story on as an afterthought.

    Peter Jackson's a better idea. He can make big budget spectacles while also keeping the characters at the core of the story.
  • kalel 10 Feb 2010 15:42:40 88,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Another idea that pops up from time to time on The Planet forums, is to do a Superman film set in the Golden Age era i.e. the 30s/40s.

    I think its a really interesting idea myself. For me one of the reasons why they struggle so much to get Superman right these days is because he just feels less believable and relevant in the modern world, with the darker Batman being somehow a better fit. Flip back to the 30s though and suddenly you have quite a cool concept for a film, and you could even include Batman or whoever you wanted without causing complications as it would be an entirely separate universe.

    I reckon the guy that plays Don in Mad Men would make a superb Golden Age Superman.
  • morriss 10 Feb 2010 15:48:29 71,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Or a futuristic mech-Superman fighting clones with lasers. Will Smith could be Super-mech and Michael Bay could direct.
  • kalel 10 Feb 2010 15:55:42 88,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's pretty much Burton's Superman. Seriously.
  • Load_2.0 10 Feb 2010 15:56:51 19,444 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would like to see Colleen Nolan direct the next movie.
  • Spanky 10 Feb 2010 15:58:20 14,525 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Will Smith could be Super-mech and Michael Bay could direct.
    Jessica Alba would make an awesome Lois and get Jamie Foxxxx to play luthor. Halle Berry as Supergirl.

    Shouldn't really joke tbh, it will happen at some point.

    Plubs

  • kalel 10 Feb 2010 15:59:23 88,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I actually watched Catwoman when it was on TV the other week just for a laugh. Suprisingly, it was indeed a laugh.
  • Deleted user 10 February 2010 16:18:26
    I think they should completely ignore most of the canon, and create a story that IS relevent in todays world. Superman's desperation at mankind destroying themselves. Heavy hangs the head that wears the crown. Have him praised as a deity by some, causing more friction - could be interesting places to go.

    Now, I've not read many of the comics. I only really have a passing interest. But I loved the movies and the concept from the cartoons as a kid onwards, as well as what I've read outside of that.

    Superman isn't interesting on his own. It's the situations you build around him and his reactions to them which are important. Having this man god with feelings and tenderness also having an angry edge at how the destruction of Earth's society reflects the destruction of his own world... that'd be an awesome side to whatever else you can add to it.
  • BinaryBob101 10 Feb 2010 16:20:05 23,534 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Or a futuristic mech-Superman fighting clones with lasers. Will Smith could be Super-mech and Michael Bay could direct.

    This sounds a lot like JJ Abrams scriptment too.

    I reckon JJ should be given another stab at this though, he directed action and emotion better than most last year in Star Trek. He'd just need to dial down the reimagining a little.

    With Nolan as the shepherd though none of the names mentioned above will take the job, I'd imagine we'll get some new, fresh upcoming genius. Blomkamp could be very good too, but his ties are too close to Jackson.

    www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

  • kalel 10 Feb 2010 16:20:46 88,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    I think they should completely ignore most of the canon, and create a story that IS relevent in todays world. Superman's desperation at mankind destroying themselves. Heavy hangs the head that wears the crown. Have him praised as a deity by some, causing more friction - could be interesting places to go.

    Now, I've not read many of the comics. I only really have a passing interest. But I loved the movies and the concept from the cartoons as a kid onwards, as well as what I've read outside of that.

    Superman isn't interesting on his own. It's the situations you build around him and his reactions to them which are important. Having this man god with feelings and tenderness also having an angry edge at how the destruction of Earth's society reflects the destruction of his own world... that'd be an awesome side to whatever else you can add to it.

    That's the plot of Superman IV btw.
  • BinaryBob101 10 Feb 2010 16:22:13 23,534 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What is? JJ's thing?

    www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

  • Deleted user 10 February 2010 16:25:11
    I've tried mindscrubbers on that one... didn't obviously work. :p To be honest it's the only way forwards - naturally instead of nuclear proliferation, which is an obvious threat, it's more terrorism and wars which are hard to fight, both morally and physically.

    The conflicted Man Of Steel who represents everything America was, in the new world. I guess it's been done already but as a film? Great! Really good starting ground. Give him an enemy that's the machine behind a particularly thorny problem that mirrors modern day issues... someone who makes even Lex Luthor look like small fry.

    The idea behind SIV was generally a good one, just they didn't go about it the right way. At all. In any conceivable fashion. No wonder Reeves was so angry about it!
  • figgis 10 Feb 2010 16:26:06 7,376 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Blomkamp could be very good too, but his ties are too close to Jackson.

    Fookin Kryptonians!
  • kalel 10 Feb 2010 16:26:37 88,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's really not the only way forwards. Hopefully the new script writers will be a bit more imaginative that you are :p
  • Deleted user 10 February 2010 16:27:19
    Have this super-terrorist dude who wears a powersuit of Kryptonite, bringing the fight one-to-one where Supes can be hurt but retains some of his powers at the end for a final battle. But put it in a situation where he has to be in three or four places at the same time. :D
  • BinaryBob101 10 Feb 2010 16:28:53 23,534 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    YEAH! SUPERMAN Vs SUPERTOWELHEADS! FUCK YEAH!

    www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

  • kalel 10 Feb 2010 16:29:53 88,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The way forwards (imo) is to do what has weirdly never actually been done stay close to the comics.

    All hero movies live and die on the strength of the villain, and were yet to see The best Superman villains on screen. I really dont want to see Superman dealing with terrorism personally. I do however want to see him fuck up Braniac.
  • BinaryBob101 10 Feb 2010 16:30:58 23,534 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    All-Star Superman would be a great influence.

    www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

  • Deleted user 10 February 2010 16:32:57
    kalel wrote:
    It's really not the only way forwards. Hopefully the new script writers will be a bit more imaginative that you are :p

    But not too imaginitive, eh?
  • kalel 10 Feb 2010 16:35:16 88,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    It's really not the only way forwards. Hopefully the new script writers will be a bit more imaginative that you are :p

    But not too imaginitive, eh?

    It was more the "only way forwards" thing I took issue with. There are many valid and exciting possibilities for an approach to a new Supes film.
  • CosmicFuzz 10 Feb 2010 16:35:57 24,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just give him something to punch ffs. The Adventures of Lois and Clark had more action than SR.

    Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

  • Deleted user 10 February 2010 16:36:43
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    YEAH! SUPERMAN Vs SUPERTOWELHEADS! FUCK YEAH!

    Nah, more homegrown than that, but somehow subverting everything Supers stands for whilst at the same time representing some of his interests. Maybe tempting him to their side somehow...

    I don't know, I don't find the entire supervillain route as satisfying as the whole mindgame thing. Just having a villain that's just as or more powerful just kind of doesn't do the concept any justice at all.
  • Deleted user 10 February 2010 16:38:54
    kalel wrote:
    squarejawhero wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    It's really not the only way forwards. Hopefully the new script writers will be a bit more imaginative that you are :p

    But not too imaginitive, eh?

    It was more the "only way forwards" thing I took issue with. There are many valid and exciting possibilities for an approach to a new Supes film.

    Well why didn't you say so straight out? You don't need to take a jab to make a point.

    For me it is the only way forwards outside of making it so incredibly broad as to become a straight action film in the vein of Fantastic Four. Which I personally already saw...

    The Superman TV series got it right. :D Then it all went wrong in the last series... because of supervillains.
  • Page

    of 64 First / Last

Log in or register to reply