Superman: The Man of Steel Page 3

• Page

of 64 First / Last

• jellyhead 9 Feb 2010 22:05:43 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Three piece in leather, yeah?
    DFS have probably got a branch in Metropolis.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• CosmicFuzz 10 Feb 2010 07:50:50 24,327 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Three piece in leather, yeah?
    DFS have probably got a branch in Metropolis.

Hahaha :D

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• Deleted user 10 February 2010 08:39:07
    kalel wrote:
    The most famous one is his Godzilla review which he has now had removed from the internet, but it really did show him to be completely buyable. They helicoptered him into the premier or something, and as a result he gave it 10/10 and said it was the best film he'd ever seen or something. The guy's a joke.

I was a forumite on AICN, I know the guy's history. Thing is... I don't take him seriously. Apparently he's very nice in person - I know a few people who've met him. He's childishly enthusiastic and yes, the Blade 2 and Godzilla reviews were massive missteps (both of them now aaages ago, worryingly) plus he liked Van Helsing... ugh... but I have no hate for the guy. He's often off the mark but if you view it as a blog, which it technically is, then it's easier to digest. Shame Drew/Mori isn't there anymore, but he reviews for another site now so no loss.
  • figgis 10 Feb 2010 09:35:17 7,376 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nolan overseeing the Superman franchise is great news. I don't think he'll make it grim and gritty. The only question is how he will differentiate from the 70's films (which he should stay away from) and ignore Returns.

He also focused a bit more on the Neil Adams Batman stuff in his films which were my favourite era.
  • kalel 10 Feb 2010 10:05:12 87,682 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't really see Neil Adams' influence in the Nolan films personally. They're more Miller-esque if anything.

I really hope this Mark Millar treatment of Superman that's been doing the rounds forms the basis of the new reboot. He is an excellent comic writer, a massive Superman fan and his comic style is extremely cinematic, and I think things like The Ultimates have been a big influence on a lot of the more successful recent comic films.
  • BinaryBob101 10 Feb 2010 12:55:52 22,948 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That Millar treatment has been pitched and turned down Kal. The ending was deemed to bleak for a Superman movie.

The Grumpy Vaper

• kalel 10 Feb 2010 12:56:37 87,682 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Piss sticks.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 Feb 2010 13:19:47 7,010 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't want a bleak/dark Superman. I want it made by Pixar! I reckon they could do a fantastic animated Supes, properly bright-coloured and all.
  • figgis 10 Feb 2010 13:40:35 7,376 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I don't really see Neil Adams' influence in the Nolan films personally. They're more Miller-esque if anything.

Two major Neil Adams Influences, Wayne Tower Penthouse Hideout and Ras Al Gul. I see the Year One / Begins Miller stuff of course but it's nice to see other stuff.
  • BanjoMan 10 Feb 2010 13:58:00 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    I don't want a bleak/dark Superman. I want it made by Pixar! I reckon they could do a fantastic animated Supes, properly bright-coloured and all.
    The Superman/Batman cartoon film is excellent. Should tide you over for a while.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• CosmicFuzz 10 Feb 2010 14:05:19 24,327 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Two major Neil Adams Influences, Wayne Tower Penthouse Hideout and Ras Al Gul. I see the Year One / Begins Miller stuff of course but it's nice to see other stuff.

Wasn't the hideout in a shipping crate? I thought his penthouse was just for living in, like a proper penthouse?

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• Deleted user 10 February 2010 14:16:44
    Superman is the bestest and I really liked Superman Returns! Please no emo supe. >(
  • figgis 10 Feb 2010 14:20:48 7,376 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    figgis wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Wasn't the hideout in a shipping crate? I thought his penthouse was just for living in, like a proper penthouse?

Aye I suppose. He did have that panic room thing though.
  • Load_2.0 10 Feb 2010 14:24:50 19,268 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anything would be a welcome change. Superman returns had me hitting myself in the head with a rock to try and smash the memories out of my brain.

No more Lois Lane! No more shitty Superboy piano pushers! No crappy henchmen/comedy moments! No Zod! No Doomsday, No fucking kryptonite.

Bizarro or Darkseid, now thats a nemesis.
  • kalel 10 Feb 2010 14:27:37 87,682 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lois has to be there imo.
  • Load_2.0 10 Feb 2010 14:34:36 19,268 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Its just so hammy, HEY EVERYONE! In case you forgot Supermans No1 weakness is....

No not kryptonite! It's people!

Yeah people, it's humanity, get it huh, huh? Maybe we should ram it home some more!

I want 90 minutes of Supes smashing the entire planet of Apokolips. They don't even need dialogue.

• kalel 10 Feb 2010 14:37:34 87,682 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Load "$" wrote:
    Its just so hammy, HEY EVERYONE! In case you forgot Supermans No1 weakness is....

No not kryptonite! It's people!

Yeah people, it's humanity, get it huh, huh? Maybe we should ram it home some more!

I want 90 minutes of Supes smashing the entire planet of Apokolips. They don't even need dialogue.

Thing is, that way lies the Tim Burton school of logic. Before you know it he doesnít fly anymore and has a black suit and a gay robot sidekick.

I think you have to stay true to the basic elements. You can still make an original and fresh Superman film with them imo.
  • RetardStrong 10 Feb 2010 14:41:58 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thing is, that way lies the Tim Burton school of logic. Before you know it he doesnít fly anymore and has a black suit and a gay robot sidekick.

That wasn't really Burton's idea though.
  • kalel 10 Feb 2010 14:46:00 87,682 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, true, but still, Burton didn't think he needed to pay any respect to canon at all.
  • Deleted user 10 February 2010 14:58:29
    Canon is equally a stone around the neck as it is sometimes necessary.
  • RetardStrong 10 Feb 2010 14:58:37 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    But, but... most of the canon is awful :-P
  • BanjoMan 10 Feb 2010 15:00:54 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I heard Supes is going to be played by 50 Cent.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• CosmicFuzz 10 Feb 2010 15:01:15 24,327 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The recent Superman: Brainiac storyline would make a great movie.

• CosmicFuzz 10 Feb 2010 15:01:43 24,327 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    He did have that panic room thing though.

That's true, I forgot about that.

• Deleted user 10 February 2010 15:03:00
    kalel wrote:
    No, true, but still, Burton didn't think he needed to pay any respect to canon at all.
    Which is fine by me, made some nice self contained stories.
  • kalel 10 Feb 2010 15:09:40 87,682 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    Canon is equally a stone around the neck as it is sometimes necessary.

Yeah, but in this case I donít think itís so relevant a point. The whole problem with SR is that it strayed too far from canon imo, not that it was a slave to it.

Where the fuck did they get Superman having a kid with Lois from? Thatís been hinted at in the odd Elseworld or dream sequence or whatever, but why Brian Singer thought this would be a strong concept for an all important re-introduction of modern audiences to Superman movies I have no fucking idea.

Mario Puzo had the right idea. He went to DC, got the key pillars of the Superman legend straight in his head, and wrote a solid epic movie script around them.

You need Lois and frankly you need Kryptonite as well imo, but letís not confuse these things being handled badly in SR as being flawed conceptually.
  • kalel 10 Feb 2010 15:10:02 87,682 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Which is fine by me, made some nice self contained stories.

I mean his version of Superman, not Batman.
  • RetardStrong 10 Feb 2010 15:14:59 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Relevant
  • mcmonkeyplc 10 Feb 2010 15:18:46 39,456 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kill the fucking kid, make Superman angry but still moral, keep to canon, jobs a goodun.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Spanky 10 Feb 2010 15:19:25 14,503 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kevin Smith would've made a shit superman film whether he was interfered with or not because that's what Kevin Smith does, makes shit films.

Plubs

• Page

of 64 First / Last