Superman: The Man of Steel Page 2

• Page

of 64 First / Last

• kalel 9 Feb 2010 19:15:38 86,813 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    And kal, do you really think seeing superman lobbing a twenty-story building at a baddie would be fun? Surely, the baddy would have to represent a decent threat and have a decent backround (or not, as with Joker) for that to work for two hours?

I don't want to see it constantly for two hours, then it'll just end up being Transformers or whatever, but the climactic scenes need to be bombastic and BIG, showing off Supes for what he can really do (as opposed to giving Lex Luthor a stern lecture). The one scene in SR that did this (plane crash) is imo the best action scene in any hero movie. Bottom line is Supes can do things no other hero can do, so let's see it!

And there shouldn't be an issue with baddies really. The likes of Braniac, Darkseid, Metallo and even Lex are all capable of posing a serious threat to Supes.
  • BinaryBob101 9 Feb 2010 19:18:01 22,635 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    But, that was the problem with Returns. Far too many inconsistencies.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• Deleted user 9 February 2010 19:21:33
    They explained the aeroplane (badly) by saying that if he tried to stop it by just grabbing it, he'd kill everyone aboard.

Though yeah, massive inconsistences. 'I've just been stabbed by a small shard of kryptonite which made me horribly weak and for some reason gave me asthma, but now it's out I'm going to lift an entire continent made of it.'
  • Deleted user 9 February 2010 19:22:51
    Making Lex more than a bumbling fool that somehow does something a bit mean would be good.

Lex Luthor: Man of Steel version would be good, if he's in it at all.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2010 19:26:58
    Hackman Lex was kinda good, it made him seem like an actual human, rather than the quite-obvious-metahuman that he's portrayed as in the comics, but he worked best as the manipulator rather than the main villain. S'why Supes 2 is so good. But he was fucking wank in Returns.

All they need to do is bring in some more of the canon like Darkseid, Braniac and the like to make it good. And not bring them in the same stupid way Smallville did.
  • kalel 9 Feb 2010 19:28:56 86,813 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    Though yeah, massive inconsistences. 'I've just been stabbed by a small shard of kryptonite which made me horribly weak and for some reason gave me asthma, but now it's out I'm going to lift an entire continent made of it.'

Actually that one is explained, although the scene in which it is very explicitly explained was deleted, but they do mention a couple of times how he draws power from the sun, which is why he charges himself up before doing that (and also doing it nearly kills him).

But yeah, it's a toss film, and I don't disagree that pretty much everything that followed the credits (apart from the plane scene) was bollocks.
  • morriss 9 Feb 2010 19:30:01 70,920 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One of the most bombastic openings to a superhero film ever though, I reckon. I got goosebumps during the first 10 mins of Returns.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2010 19:31:37
    Oh yeah, I know he did the whole sun charging thing, but it's still a fucking stupid explanation (even moreso than the plane one). Exposure to Kryptonite is supposed to drain him pretty much instantly, floating about in the sunshine for less than a minute shouldn't change that.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2010 19:32:08
    squarejawhero wrote:
    Don't know why the geezer gets people so riled. He's passionate and often wrong, but frankly he's as only as big a cunt as the typical EG'er, only bigger. Far bigger.
    You've clearly never read his Blade 2 review.

I'd rather read a Paul Ross review.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2010 19:34:06
    The Blade 2 review is possibly one of the worst things ever written in the history of mankind, and I'm including all fan-fiction in that claim.

It's just him (quite literally) tonguing Guillermo del Toro's asshole. Made exponentially worse by the fact that the film was utter shit.
  • kalel 9 Feb 2010 19:34:08 86,813 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the main issue with Harry Knowles is that he gives films good reviews if the producers send him a box of doughnuts.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2010 19:35:20
    Gremmi wrote:
    The Blade 2 review is possibly one of the worst things ever written in the history of mankind, and I'm including all fan-fiction in that claim.

It's just him (quite literally) tonguing Guillermo del Toro's asshole. Made exponentially worse by the fact that the film was utter shit.
    Also see that fat cunt's review of episode III, or any other film he's ever reviewed.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2010 19:38:03
    brotherbob wrote:
    Gremmi wrote:

Thanks for that mental image!
    Reading the review will give you a much worse mental image.
  • kalel 9 Feb 2010 19:39:38 86,813 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The most famous one is his Godzilla review which he has now had removed from the internet, but it really did show him to be completely buyable. They helicoptered him into the premier or something, and as a result he gave it 10/10 and said it was the best film he'd ever seen or something. The guy's a joke.
  • kalel 9 Feb 2010 19:40:10 86,813 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, as linked by bob.
  • morriss 9 Feb 2010 19:41:23 70,920 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    haha
  • Deleted user 9 February 2010 19:41:33
    I assume by helicoptered in you mean he was underslung on a Chinook, there is nothing else with the lifting power required.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2010 19:44:06
    brotherbob wrote:
    I'm gonna read it now, you guys have inspired me. Even his wikipedia don't like him.
    DON'T DO IT!
  • jellyhead 9 Feb 2010 19:49:04 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I bailed* after the first paragraph. That has to be a joke, yes?

* came

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Deleted user 9 February 2010 19:50:32
    I taste vomit.
  • jellyhead 9 Feb 2010 19:54:44 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have you seen Del Toro? He's dreamy.

/ watches 2girls1cup to clean his mind

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Freek 9 Feb 2010 20:19:28 7,687 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd like to think they went to Nolan not because they want Superman to "go dark" but becuase he knows how to bring out the themes and characters of a super hero story and translate that into a good film.

Or it'll just be Superman in a black suite, who knows...
  • BinaryBob101 9 Feb 2010 21:43:15 22,635 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Three piece in leather, yeah?

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• terminalterror 9 Feb 2010 22:02:55 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My favourite part of Returns was the "WRONG!!!!!!!!!!" interjection, right in the middle of the cliched "he'll come and save me" speech :D
  • Page

of 64 First / Last