Superman: The Man of Steel Page 55

• Page

of 64 First / Last

• nickthegun 21 Jun 2013 16:18:39 59,527 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whatever he does, he leaves a town to die of a flood after he does it in order to rescue lois.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• ronuds 21 Jun 2013 16:19:58 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would have to agree with meme.
  • LeoliansBro 21 Jun 2013 16:20:30 43,828 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not a real town, it's a model, you can tell because the water looks all gloopy like it does when it's used on a model.

(Solved in more recent physical effects by using sand, for eg the waterfalls on Naboo in TPM, which wasn't apparently done with CGI).

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• ronuds 21 Jun 2013 16:31:25 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought he stopped the missile, which would have saved everybody.
  • Deleted user 21 June 2013 16:42:50
    It's just a fluff ending that's a bit shoehorned after all the kerfuffle over what parts shot go to Supes 2 and so on.

Long and short of it is that Supes stops one missile, the other detonates. He reverses the spin of the earth which causes time to reverse due to comic-book logic. He stops the other missile and saves the day, except there are large plotholes left in the fact that everyone has the memory of the second missile detonating and that Jimmy somehow ends up in the middle of the Nevada desert even though it's now been set that Supes never saved him from the Hoover Dam.

The even shorter of it is: comic book logic.
  • mcmonkeyplc 21 Jun 2013 16:43:50 39,447 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not real?! Amazing.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mcmonkeyplc 21 Jun 2013 16:54:48 39,447 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Launch
    Flight
    If you love these people so much
    What will you do when your not saving the world

My favourite tracks of the OST

• ronuds 21 Jun 2013 16:56:20 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He only reverses the earth's spin. While that does cause time to reverse as well, I don't see why that has to mean everyone has forgotten their memory of it.

It would be different if he had gone back in time and stopped it before it happened, but he stopped it after it happened.

I can't explain why the kid's in the middle of nowhere, though.

Edited by ronuds at 16:57:02 21-06-2013
  • simiankid 21 Jun 2013 16:57:29 594 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @mcmonkeyplc - Ah, that sort-of makes sense. But why does Zod need to take his helmet off to get the heat-vision/super-hearing?

EDIT: Gah, didn't quote - I'm still banging on about the atmosphere thing.

Edited by simiankid at 16:58:03 21-06-2013
  • mcmonkeyplc 21 Jun 2013 17:12:49 39,447 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @simiankid

So that he doesn't get fucked when Supes breaks his suit. He'll just break his neck instead :)

• graysonavich 21 Jun 2013 17:15:09 7,320 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    rounds attempting to explain a time travel paradox?

/marks interesting
  • Deckard1 21 Jun 2013 17:38:00 27,770 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    He only reverses the earth's spin. While that does cause time to reverse as well, I don't see why that has to mean everyone has forgotten their memory of it.

Why would they remember it if time is reversed. Do you think only the things that happened would unhappen but people would remember them happening? What?

Hush you ponce

• ronuds 21 Jun 2013 19:48:33 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    ronuds wrote:

Why would they remember it if time is reversed. Do you think only the things that happened would unhappen but people would remember them happening? What?
    It's reversed, not erased - like a DVD! You hit reverse on a DVD, it doesn't delete everything after when you hit play again.

If Superman went back in time via a time-travel device and stopped the 2nd missile THEN AND ONLY THEN would the memory of it have been erased, because they never would have had the memory in the first place!

It's all very scientific.

:p
  • RichieTenenbaum 24 Jun 2013 07:04:00 2,199 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Saw this last night.

Hated it.

So fed up with boomcrashboom modern blockbusters.
  • heyyo 24 Jun 2013 07:31:25 14,373 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's pretty similar to Avengers Assemble...
  • B0rked_Gamer 24 Jun 2013 07:48:50 2,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pfft Avengers is much muuuuuch better than Man of Steel. To be fair Man of Steel is a non-terrible Zack Snyder movie so that's progress, I guess.

Seriously why is Zack Snyder employed. It's a mystery.
  • kalel 24 Jun 2013 09:02:42 87,128 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The final half hour was very Avengers (and Transformers, and a million other films where an entire city gets destroyed by CGI), but the rest wasn't anything like it.

Edited by kalel at 09:05:38 24-06-2013
  • LeoliansBro 24 Jun 2013 09:04:09 43,828 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The trailers make it look very Transformers, intercut by Synder's version of The Bridges of Madison County.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 24 June 2013 09:08:51
    Saw this on Saturday at the iMax in 3D.

Got to say I absolutely loved it. But then I like Snyder's films (apart from Suckerpunch. Which, well, sucked). First supes film I don't hate. Bonus.
  • kalel 24 Jun 2013 09:09:36 87,128 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I still have some faith in Snyder as well. He's an odd one, and I can see the temptation to lump him with the likes of Michael Bay, but I don't think it's fair really.

I don't really see how Snyder can be blamed for where this film is flawed. It's nothing to do with the way it's directed.
  • CharlieStCloud 24 Jun 2013 09:15:00 5,202 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I don't really see how Snyder can be blamed for where this film is flawed. It's nothing to do with the way it's directed.
    I actually like the way it was filmed so, I guess he deserves some plaudits.

... felt like a film of two halves within two different movie studios in places though.
  • nickthegun 24 Jun 2013 09:17:26 59,527 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The problem is that suckass goyer turned up. Theres nothing really wrong with the stuff Snyder directed, its just that Goyer absolutely 100% does not get superman and almost all of the major plot points were absolutely idiotic.

Its funny. I kind of got what I wanted in that I wished to see superman being super for an hour but it was so... un-super its just cold. Apart from the origin stuff, superman could have been interchangable with just about any flying brick hero. It just had no personality, non of the big blue boyscout stuff.

And, as for the end, I dont know if anyone has read j. michael straczynskis Squadron Supreme run, but it felt a *lot* like that.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:18:12 24-06-2013

• Deleted user 24 June 2013 09:19:42
    But saying that. It IS starting to get a little tiresome seeing a big city smackdown for half an hour at the end of a film. Time to try something new.

Glad I saw it at the iMax though. Needed the extra screen size to fit big Larry Fishburne in.
  • nickthegun 24 Jun 2013 09:22:01 59,527 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know 'I wont harm innocents, lets take this to the grand canyon/arctic/moon/whatever' isnt very cinematic but its *exactly* the kind of thing superman does and indeed did in superman 2.

He didnt fly around crushing buildings.

• Shikasama 24 Jun 2013 09:26:14 6,760 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's a death toll less event though isn't it. Like in Avengers, if you sit and consider the sheer death toll of that invasion it would be insane, but it never gets mentioned.

You're just to assume that everyone was evacuated safely. it's quite annoying actually.
  • nickthegun 24 Jun 2013 09:30:17 59,527 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The difference is that Avengers is largely an infantry battle, so its troops versus troops most of the time, shooting it out in the streets. In superman they ceaselessly punch each other through buildings.

• mcmonkeyplc 24 Jun 2013 09:38:52 39,447 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I haven't seen Avengers yet you bumders!

• Deleted user 24 June 2013 09:43:27
    @nickthegun Maybe the won't harm innocents thing comes later? After all here he's coming to accept who he is and his responsibilities. He also has a lot of anger in him. So this is probably a less mature, considerate supes but possibly it is exactly this kind of carnage that since prompts him to take the fight away from other folk in future?
  • nickthegun 24 Jun 2013 09:46:27 59,527 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    See, for me, the whole point of superman is that his parents were so lovely that they instilled him with an innate sense of loveliness so he took up the mantle of superman specifically to be lovely to other people, rather than him having it thrust upon him.

He *chose* to be superman thanks to his moral code rather than having the responsibility grudgingly thrust upon him like a middle manager who gets promoted above his station.

• Shikasama 24 Jun 2013 09:46:56 6,760 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The difference is that Avengers is largely an infantry battle, so its troops versus troops most of the time, shooting it out in the streets. In superman they ceaselessly punch each other through buildings.
    Nah, in Avengers an alien invasion suddenly happens and buildings are getting cut down left right and center. You'd be looking at hundreds at least, probably thousands.
  • Page

of 64 First / Last