Superman: The Man of Steel Page 53

• Page

of 64 First / Last

• Steve_Perry 17 Jun 2013 18:37:30 2,443 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    convercide wrote:
    Captain Agathon and Lieutenant Gaeta making an appearance suggested Supes might have to fight Cylons.
    I was chuffed with this casting.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• beastmaster 18 Jun 2013 07:16:03 10,176 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks as though their trying to get the sequel out by next year!

linky

Well, there are worries that there will be compromises on quality. My 3.5/10 still stands so I don't think they'll have a problem there. It may even be better.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Shikasama 18 Jun 2013 07:32:26 6,276 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Looks as though their trying to get the sequel out by next year!

linky

Well, there are worries that there will be compromises on quality. My 3.5/10 still stands so I don't think they'll have a problem there. It may even be better.
    DC's desperation to do a Justice League film and make Avengers money really can't be understated.
  • beastmaster 18 Jun 2013 07:39:37 10,176 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    True but Marvel did it right by introducing the characters gradually.

Green Lantern was awful but if there were to be in a JLA film, people would probably have an idea of who he is. You'd have Superman, Batman, Green Lantern and also Wonder Woman at a guess. Would they need anymore? Aquaman?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• khaz 18 Jun 2013 08:45:28 2,572 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jonn Jones/Martian Manhunter.

I don't see why they can't repeat the "Nick Fury in every movie recruiting* shtick with him. Just make his presence more pronounced with each appearance and let him loose in the JLA film.

Edited by khaz at 08:46:49 18-06-2013
  • Deleted user 18 June 2013 16:20:51
    Ignoring the end fight...

Thought it was fantastic (for a comic film). Well acted, great action, incredible special effects, good evil characters, nice story build up, great soundtrack, perfectly cast actor for superman.
    End fight was terrible but I can block that out. One of the best if not the best comic book film ever after the dark knight but that is not really a superhero film.

8/10.
  • simiankid 18 Jun 2013 16:50:02 594 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So, despite not being a huge superman fan, I managed to blag tickets to the UK premiere in Leicester Square. After the first half I was properly excited: I'd actually managed to engage with a Snyder film (disclaimer: 300 made me all macho, but Watchmen and Sucker Punch both left me cold) - I was actually enjoying the flick.

Skip to the second half, and it's all been undone. The moment everything kicks off, everyone gets into bullshit dialogue mode, Clark's emotional angst has been solved with a shrug and it's ragdoll fighty time. The effects themselves were fantastic (as was the 3D - no blur here), but by the time Supes is fighting the lady second in command and her huge minder, all the sense has gone out the film, and it plays out like some mindless action trip. Got a problem? Smack it into a building! All the stuff I'd been persuaded to care about was thrown away, the logic on the Kryptonian atmosphere stuff had been blown to hell, and we get to watch the cg fight planners make their puppets dance. I left disappointed.

Other things that bugged me: 1. Dad didn't have to go back for the dog, Clark could have gotten him while dad went to the shelter with mom. 2. OI SNYDER! YOU TOTALLY WASTED RICHARD SCHIFF!
  • Deleted user 18 June 2013 16:51:50
    On my way to go and see it now.
  • mcmonkeyplc 18 Jun 2013 16:55:56 38,899 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What exactly was blown to hell in regards to the Kryptonian atmosphere?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Shikasama 18 Jun 2013 17:01:11 6,276 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Random question - how is Christopher Meloni in it? He's one of my favourite TV actors.
  • BinaryBob101 18 Jun 2013 17:02:49 21,966 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just the terraforming machines.

I felt a bit drunk afterwards too monkey.

To those who wanted a bit less action, have any of you ever read any of the comics?

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 15:43:41 21-06-2013

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• BinaryBob101 18 Jun 2013 17:04:37 21,966 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Random question - how is Christopher Meloni in it? He's one of my favourite TV actors.
    Underused to be fair. He's a decent enough actor to have snagged a larger role.

Last two lines of this film maybe among the best final words ever in a film. Such a fantastic double entendre.

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• Deleted user 19 June 2013 00:03:07
    The whole film was spoiled by Superman's mum's Hollywood teeth.
  • the_dudefather 19 Jun 2013 00:13:30 8,976 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    The whole film was spoiled by Superman's mum's Hollywood teeth.
    plus one

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• captbirdseye 19 Jun 2013 00:28:47 4,343 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not bad, and decent start for hopefully a few new films. The only let down was the casting of Lois which just didn't work for me.

Some nice easter egg moments as well such as Blaze comics, Wayne Enterprises and Supergirl.
  • simiankid 19 Jun 2013 10:13:39 594 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @mcmonkeyplc Supes comes from Krypton, gains extra strength from the earth's sun, but loses that when exposed to Kryptonian atmosphere like when he's been held captive by Zod and is unable to break his bonds until the ship is refilled with Earth's atmosphere. This means that standard Kryptonians are not as strong as earth-powered Supes (otherwise they'd have designed a restraint that could hold him). Zod's army have suits that provide Krypo atmosphere, and we see that Zod get stronger when he exposes himself to Earth's atmosphere too. So what gives when we see Faora-Ul and *enormous* soldier beating on Supes in the middle of the street? They're suited (so Krypto atmosphered) but proceed to lay the smaketh down on Supes, despite the fact he's supposed to be a metric fuckton stronger than them . Did I miss a scene where all of Zod's army expose themselves to Earth's atmosphere?

EDIT: typo

Edited by simiankid at 10:13:58 19-06-2013
  • Deleted user 19 June 2013 10:36:29
    Anal?
  • mrpon 19 Jun 2013 10:43:36 27,645 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Didn't think you were up for it.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 19 June 2013 10:46:08
    HA Ha ha h...:/ :)
  • simiankid 19 Jun 2013 14:07:32 594 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Choppi - Not right now, thanks.

I just get narked when they take time to set up a scenario and then immediately countermand it. If you're gonna play mcguffin games, have the decency to play by your own rules.
  • LeoliansBro 19 Jun 2013 14:21:37 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Personally I think DC are being mugs with aiming for a JLA film in the Avengers mould. For a start the various superheroes in the DC universe don't hang together at all well, unlike the Marvel characters who seem much more consistent.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• MrWonderstuff 19 Jun 2013 17:24:03 1,855 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Must be getting old as it's was bloody loud and I have a headache :-( Not bad but really not the second coming. The beginning/first two thirds were interesting but it degenerates into CGI willy waving at the end with cliched elements. I mean with the decimation of Metroplis with debris and destruction (and thousands killed no doubt) and Superman finds time for a snog amongst the carnage.

Casting was good - although Lawrence Fishburne didn't come across particularly well. Also nice to see the Galactica crew there.

Edited by MrWonderstuff at 17:26:52 19-06-2013
  • fletch7100 19 Jun 2013 18:14:55 6,160 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    People are mentioning JLA movie, I'm more interested in the JL Dark movie that Guillermo del Toro is working on

http://screenrant.com/justice-league-dark-heaven-sent-update-guillermo-del-toro/
  • kalel 21 Jun 2013 14:27:51 83,871 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Saw it last night.

Still can't quite get my opinion straight in my head, but it definitely wasn't everything I hoped it would be. Pretty far from it tbh.

I don't think it was a total disaster. There was a good amount that I liked. Possibly even the majority of it. I liked the general approach. I liked how it felt. I liked the casting. I liked the story for the most part.

But despite that, once it got past the opening and the introduction to Clark (oil tanker sequence etc), which I thought were really strong and I enjoyed a lot, it did start to get really boring. This built up a huge amount of expectation for when things would start kicking off again, but sadly that too was quickly boring due to FAR too much fighting.

For that I blame Goyer and Nolan. Superman has never really been about fighting. He's about rescues - planes and train crashes, collapsing bridges, buildings falling down etc. There's really only ever been one Superman story when it's all about blow-for-blow punches, and that was the Doomsday, and it was fucking boring.

This, much like Batman and Bane punching the living shit out of actually (which was also fucking boring). somehow missed the essence of what makes these characters exciting. And it was made even worse by endless amount of not very convincing CGI.

I retain some hope for the sequel though. I do like the universe created, and I think (contrary to most) that Lex Luthor inevitable introduction will re-focus the story on him savings people, rather than fighting super-baddies.
  • LeoliansBro 21 Jun 2013 14:29:50 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You sound like me coming out of TDKR at iMAX.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• mcmonkeyplc 21 Jun 2013 14:30:50 38,899 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    simiankid wrote:
    @mcmonkeyplc Supes comes from Krypton, gains extra strength from the earth's sun, but loses that when exposed to Kryptonian atmosphere like when he's been held captive by Zod and is unable to break his bonds until the ship is refilled with Earth's atmosphere. This means that standard Kryptonians are not as strong as earth-powered Supes (otherwise they'd have designed a restraint that could hold him). Zod's army have suits that provide Krypo atmosphere, and we see that Zod get stronger when he exposes himself to Earth's atmosphere too. So what gives when we see Faora-Ul and *enormous* soldier beating on Supes in the middle of the street? They're suited (so Krypto atmosphered) but proceed to lay the smaketh down on Supes, despite the fact he's supposed to be a metric fuckton stronger than them . Did I miss a scene where all of Zod's army expose themselves to Earth's atmosphere?

EDIT: typo
    Errrm the sun shines on the Krptonians too but they can't breath the atmosphere without being fucked.

• Shikasama 21 Jun 2013 14:32:06 6,276 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's something that Marvel films are struggling with as well, most notably Iron Man 2.

Everyone wants to see the Hero punch a Villain. I don't think they'd get behind Superman: Agent of FEMA.
  • mcmonkeyplc 21 Jun 2013 14:33:21 38,899 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The soundtrack people! THE SOUNDTRACK!

OUT-FUCKING-STANDING.

Although I can't imagine kids running around humming it.

• kalel 21 Jun 2013 14:34:01 83,871 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    You sound like me coming out of TDKR at iMAX.
    It's a very similar film in a lot of ways, and I certainly think they're both flawed in quite similar ways.
  • Deleted user 21 June 2013 14:50:58
    I think you're right that a Lex film in this version could be very interesting.

I hope they use the ideas in Lex Luthor: Man of Steel as part of it and not another fucking land and property development plot.
  • Page

of 64 First / Last