• Shikasama 14 Dec 2012 09:52:48 6,700 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd read The Hasidic Superman
  • kalel 14 Dec 2012 13:08:44 86,746 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:

PS: You do know it is possible to be a Christian and Jewish, right? Especially so, considering many early Christian's were Jewish (including his disciples). But that's another point.
    No, it's not possible to be Christian and Jewish. They are fundamentally at odds theologically. The basis of Christianity is believing that Jesus was the messiah, and no Jew believes that.

Yes Jesus and the disciples were Jews but that's a different thing. Christianity as a theology didn't exist yet.

And it's a certainty that Siegel and Schuster did no intent Superman to be analogous to Jesus. As meme says, that's a very recent thing that's crept it and really only Brian Singer went to town on it.
  • morriss 14 Dec 2012 13:16:01 70,913 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Superman is more about American Imperialism than any kind of religious figure, imo.

Edited by morriss at 13:18:12 14-12-2012
  • GuiltySpark 14 Dec 2012 13:23:14 6,351 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Superman is about a dude who shoots lasers out of his eyes.

Get bent.

• LeoliansBro 14 Dec 2012 13:25:18 43,634 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've always wondered about that. Superman solving every problem by punching it vs the 'evil' cerebral Luthor is quite telling in how much it resonates with Americans, and comic book fans generally,

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• kalel 14 Dec 2012 13:25:24 86,746 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Again, a more recent development and probably not originally intended. Originally it was all about immigrants (aliens) being nothing to fear and having lots to offer, and bashing up Nazis. But yes, since the 60s the whole "world policeman" thing has become right at the heart of it.
  • Gambit1977 14 Dec 2012 13:25:36 9,583 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:

PS: You do know it is possible to be a Christian and Jewish, right? Especially so, considering many early Christian's were Jewish (including his disciples). But that's another point.
    No, it's not possible to be Christian and Jewish. They are fundamentally at odds theologically. The basis of Christianity is believing that Jesus was the messiah, and no Jew believes that.

Yes Jesus and the disciples were Jews but that's a different thing. Christianity as a theology didn't exist yet.

And it's a certainty that Siegel and Schuster did no intent Superman to be analogous to Jesus. As meme says, that's a very recent thing that's crept it and really only Brian Singer went to town on it.
    These guys beg to differ!

Mentalists
  • kalel 14 Dec 2012 13:37:53 86,746 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:

These guys beg to differ!

Mentalists
    Yeah, they're something else again. Although all religious faiths seem equally mental to me if I'm being honest.
  • Shikasama 14 Dec 2012 13:42:10 6,700 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Except the Vikings.

They had some damn good gods.
  • morriss 14 Dec 2012 13:44:21 70,913 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've always thought that Superman protected America from the grand-scale, all-encumbassing threat and Batman fights th threat on your doorstep. Thus they both have an equal and nonetheless important role within the universe.
  • GuiltySpark 14 Dec 2012 13:45:29 6,351 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You do realise it's "encompassing", right?

Get bent.

• Gambit1977 14 Dec 2012 13:46:05 9,583 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I've always thought that Superman protected America from the grand-scale, all-encumbassing threat and Batman fights th threat on your doorstep. Thus they both have an equal and nonetheless important role within the universe.
    Superman's like Jesus and Batman is like John the Baptist, eating beetles and stuff.
  • nickthegun 14 Dec 2012 13:50:22 59,317 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Superman is quick enough to do all the stuff batman does, he just cant be arsed.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Shikasama 14 Dec 2012 13:57:58 6,700 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thats a problem I've always had with Superman. I'm an absolute Marvel fan boy so ym exposure isn't huge (mainly the films) but because he is so strong and powerful it always seemed like they have a ridiculous, convoluted way to weaken him.

Using kryptonite. Always kryptonite. It feels like there is more Kryptonite on earth than ever existed on Krytpon.

I imagine in the comics they get round it a lot by taking him cosmic?
  • mcmonkeyplc 14 Dec 2012 14:21:47 39,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Superman > ANYONE

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Arrit 14 Dec 2012 14:21:52 413 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Shikasama He's also vulnerable to magic
  • LeoliansBro 14 Dec 2012 14:30:51 43,634 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Superman > ANYONE
    And therein lies the fundamental problem of dramatic tension.

• mcmonkeyplc 14 Dec 2012 14:34:20 39,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tis true.

• Deleted user 14 December 2012 14:36:55
    Which is why Superman (films) shouldn't be about beating up the bad guy.
  • mcmonkeyplc 14 Dec 2012 14:39:26 39,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They should be about superman finding himself?

• nickthegun 14 Dec 2012 14:46:46 59,317 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Which is why Superman (films) shouldn't be about beating up the bad guy.
    it absolutely should 100%. I would rather watch superman punch people in the face and drop mountains on them than him agonise over his humanity and moon over lois lane for 90 minutes.

He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 14 Dec 2012 14:49:14 43,634 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Time for that Penny Arcade strip again.

• morriss 14 Dec 2012 14:50:18 70,913 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Superman is quick enough to do all the stuff batman does, he's just not intelligent enough.
    :)

They're completely different and there is no comparison. Batman is defined by his Rogues Gallery, they are him. I haven't read enough Superman to make an informed comment as to his identity, but it seems to me his villains represent everything he isn't, whereas Batman's villains are all facets of him, it's just he's not evil- or in some cases, not as evil.

Edited by morriss at 14:51:02 14-12-2012
  • nickthegun 14 Dec 2012 14:53:57 59,317 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The problem is, one of supermans erratically depicted powers is super genius. Depending on which way the wind is blowing he can do everything batman can and then punch a hole in the moon.

Yes, the batman cast is more interesting but he could fly into metropolis, use his xray vision and super hearing to find the joker and take him to arkham in 5 seconds flat if he put his mind to it.

He totally called it

• Ultrasoundwave 14 Dec 2012 15:02:01 3,276 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    They should be about superman finding himself?
    'Based on a heart-warming true story'

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• mcmonkeyplc 14 Dec 2012 15:02:19 39,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The problem is, one of supermans erratically depicted powers is super genius. Depending on which way the wind is blowing he can do everything batman can and then punch a hole in the moon.

Yes, the batman cast is more interesting but he could fly into metropolis, use his xray vision and super hearing to find the joker and take him to arkham in 5 seconds flat if he put his mind to it.
    I think you mean Gotham sir.

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 15:03:23 14-12-2012

• Waffleaber 14 Dec 2012 15:03:10 387 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The genius of superman has always annoyed me slightly. I've always assumed that, like the flash, his brain runs faster so in essence he has a year to figure out something that happens in a second.

Also Batman hates superman enough as it is without him turning up to deus ex machina every joker encounter in Gotham.

Also all superman films should feature Zod.
  • LeoliansBro 14 Dec 2012 15:05:23 43,634 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He'd be better off looking in Gotham ;)

• mcmonkeyplc 14 Dec 2012 15:07:01 39,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's like the football league structure.

Gotham is the championship and Metropolis is the Premier league.

• nickthegun 14 Dec 2012 15:12:02 59,317 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    He'd be better off looking in Gotham ;)
    Clarity of thought isn't one of my superpowers

He totally called it

• Page

of 64 First / Last