Android hardware Page 4

• Page

of 163 First / Last

• PearOfAnguish 7 Apr 2010 10:26:34 7,195 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah that's a good deal but I don't want to spend 25 per month. 10 is fine, I'm happy to pay more for the phone, I was already considering buying one SIM free.

Is there a way to display calender entries on the home page of Android phones? I really like the feature on Nokia handsets.
  • BillMurray 7 Apr 2010 10:42:31 7,692 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've caved in and ordered a Desire on T-Mobile. Can't wait! The last new-ish phone I had was a Viewty which I never really got on with.
  • faux_carnation 7 Apr 2010 10:50:00 9,193 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm planning on getting a Desire when my contract ends (4 months to go!) so I'll be excited to know what you guys think of it in the meantime.
  • rutter 7 Apr 2010 13:22:37 1,919 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Yeah that's a good deal but I don't want to spend 25 per month. 10 is fine, I'm happy to pay more for the phone, I was already considering buying one SIM free.

Is there a way to display calender entries on the home page of Android phones? I really like the feature on Nokia handsets.

I really like it. I've come from S60 to WM, back to S60, to iPhone and then this. I've only had it less than a day but so far I've been really impressed. It's really snappy. The screen is gorgeous (indoors - outside in sunlight it's pretty terrible, as are all OMLEDs). Some of the market apps are really nice. The google apps just work.

Games I've found (on initial inspection) are lacking compared to the iPhone. But then I don't do much gaming on my phones tbh.

The calendar entries was something I was after too. I only went to iPhone from S60 once intelliscreen (unsigned jailbreak software) came along. I couldn't manage without upcoming appointments/reminders on my lock screen.

Android offers various looking calendar widgets you can pop on a home screen. It has a agenda view, or a single upcoming appointment view which is smaller (these might be HTC specific widgets). However, it doesn't natively display upcoming appointments on the lock screen, which is a real shame imo. You can install Flyscreen which allows you to add widgets to the lock screen, but sadly the calendar widget (only one at the moment) is just a month view. You still need to tap on the day to see what you've got on.
    In this respect, I'm a little dissapointed - but there's lots of people (including me) asking for a better calendar widget on the flyscreen forum.

There's some really good contract deals to be had online. I got mine for 5.99 for the phone then 18mths at 25 for 300mins, 300txts and unlimited web. From mobilephonesdirect.co.uk - I think it's now actually free on this tarriff with them.
  • PearOfAnguish 7 Apr 2010 13:42:00 7,195 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice, sounds good. Prob get one next week when the local store has them in stock.

What size memory card does it include?
  • rutter 7 Apr 2010 14:09:46 1,919 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Nice, sounds good. Prob get one next week when the local store has them in stock.

What size memory card does it include?

Probably depends on the retailer. Mine is unlocked/unbranded and came with a 4GB card.
  • Cuchulainn 7 Apr 2010 15:05:30 845 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My t-Mobile one also came with 4gb
  • PearOfAnguish 7 Apr 2010 15:13:58 7,195 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's a bit cheap. I'll hold onto the 8GB card from my Nokia.
  • terminalterror 7 Apr 2010 17:31:54 18,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Arse. Was promised when I ordered yesterday that they'd get stock in that evening and mine would be with me by Thursday. Hadn't heard anything so called up to check and now I'm being told I should have it within 7 days, probably.

I don't particularly mind waiting a while for a massively in demand phone, but I don't appreciate being promised something it sounds like they were unable to deliver.
  • PearOfAnguish 7 Apr 2010 18:23:21 7,195 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bloke in the T-mobile shop today told me that they were awaiting a delivery from China, he reckoned they'd only just been shipped so would be available sometime next week.
  • Whatsfor 7 Apr 2010 22:33:37 2,189 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got my Desire today. Come on Johnny, lets see that EG app!

Its beautiful by the way. Got it customised just the way I want it already.

The only downside was that I couldn't find a stock media (video) player but downloaded one from the market pretty easily...
  • JohnnyWashnGo 7 Apr 2010 22:35:20 1,544 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whatsfor wrote:
    Got my Desire today. Come on Johnny, lets see that EG app!

Funny you should mention that... ;)
  • Whatsfor 7 Apr 2010 22:39:10 2,189 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No teasing now!
  • Razz 7 Apr 2010 22:47:24 61,002 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    IT's UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Razz 7 Apr 2010 22:47:34 61,002 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!

• Razz 7 Apr 2010 22:47:43 61,002 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Installed!!!

• Razz 7 Apr 2010 22:48:43 61,002 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :D LOVE IT

• Whatsfor 7 Apr 2010 22:50:13 2,189 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Razz, do you want to request the thread name be changed to HTC Desire?
  • Razz 7 Apr 2010 22:54:45 61,002 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nope. Do you?

• Whatsfor 7 Apr 2010 23:01:34 2,189 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ill just get told to ask the thread starter to request it ;)
  • Whatsfor 7 Apr 2010 23:03:42 2,189 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll even right a template for you;

Hello [MOD NAME HERE],

Please can you change my thread named [THREAD NAME HERE] to [NEW THREAD NAME HERE].

This action would be much appreciated.

Yours Truly,

Razz
  • Razz 7 Apr 2010 23:05:12 61,002 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can you make it so the fields disapear when I click on them?

• Whatsfor 7 Apr 2010 23:24:26 2,189 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lol!
  • PearOfAnguish 9 Apr 2010 11:30:56 7,195 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Desire ordered! Though who knows when it will be delivered, they're in demand apparently. How long do they take to arrive once shipped?

Tenner a month is a bargain. Can probably sell my Nokia for about 100 so paying 60 for a cutting edge handset is a good deal.

• terminalterror 9 Apr 2010 11:47:21 18,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Desire ordered! Though who knows when it will be delivered, they're in demand apparently. How long do they take to arrive once shipped?

Tenner a month is a bargain. Can probably sell my Nokia for about 100 so paying 60 for a cutting edge handset is a good deal.

Apparently T-mobile are getting 10,000 Desires on Wednesday.

Still a bit annoyed that I was promised a Desire within a day or two of ordering (I ordered on Tuesday), but since actually caving and ordering one the gadget lust has mellowed a bit so I'm OK with waiting a little for such an awesome phone.

The 10 deal is ridiculous. You are very lucky to get a sim only deal with unlimited internet (plus choice of booster, which is both valuetastic and flexible), let alone one with a massively subsidised highly in demand best phone on the market.
  • PearOfAnguish 9 Apr 2010 11:51:23 7,195 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is a crazy good price, T-mobile must have figured they could get some of the iPhone crowd with a deal like that. I was on O2 so I'll lose the 5 discount I got on my home broadband, but as I'm paying 7.50 less on my mobile phone contract each month it's saved me a couple of quid anyway.
  • terminalterror 9 Apr 2010 12:07:59 18,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    It is a crazy good price, T-mobile must have figured they could get some of the iPhone crowd with a deal like that. I was on O2 so I'll lose the 5 discount I got on my home broadband, but as I'm paying 7.50 less on my mobile phone contract each month it's saved me a couple of quid anyway.

The 10 a month is a standard contract, you can get it on any handset. The surprising thing is how high the subsidy is on the Desire. You

I first noticed it available for the G2 Touch (their name for the HTC Hero) and was really tempted by a Hero for 90. Then I heard about the Desire and thought I'd have a look, expecting it to be at least 250 maybe ever 300, but it was a mere 164.
  • Deleted user 9 April 2010 14:01:54
    terminalterror wrote:
    From looking at various android forums before caving and ordering one, it seems as though your battery life should improve a bit over the first week or two as it goes through a few charging cycles.

Not so. Android's a great operating system but there isn't an Android handset on the market with a decent battery life. "Turning off 3G and wifi" (Google's advice) is not a vaild way to extend the life IMO
  • JohnnyWashnGo 9 Apr 2010 14:22:03 1,544 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TeleFunken wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:
    From looking at various android forums before caving and ordering one, it seems as though your battery life should improve a bit over the first week or two as it goes through a few charging cycles.

Not so. Android's a great operating system but there isn't an Android handset on the market with a decent battery life. "Turning off 3G and wifi" (Google's advice) is not a vaild way to extend the life IMO

I don't see why not. If you are not using something, is it not good practice to turn it off?

I know if I am not watching TV I turn it off otherwise it just wastes power, albeit a tiny amount. Same for computers, chargers, games machines, ovens, microwaves and anything else that costs me money for doing nothing. Yes I am a Yorkshireman and yes I am tight ;)

That being said, I get a solid day from my Nexus One with bluetooth, 3G and wifi on. Much more if I turn bluetooth off and even more if I don't use 3G.
  • Deleted user 9 April 2010 18:10:20
    This is the problem I had when I switched from Symbian to Android. My Symbian handsets last over a *week*, using GPS, 3G, wifi, push-email, phone, music player, podcast downloading, camera, bluetooth, etc....

My Android handset was lucky to last 24 hours, and I understand that's not uncommon across the board. As I say, I love the OS but its power management leaves a LOT to be desired
  • Page

of 163 First / Last