Android hardware Page 142

• Page

of 172 First / Last

• PearOfAnguish 12 Apr 2013 11:26:38 7,500 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, same reason I wouldn't get one.

Having said that - everyone with an Android device should use Google Music. Free backup and streaming of up to 20,000 tracks, accessible via web and mobile, and you can save favourite songs to the device for local playback. It's replaced all other music players for me.
  • Rodpad 12 Apr 2013 11:26:39 2,098 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The lack of replaceable battery is annoying since I did actually experience a faulty one with my S2 which was a doddle to replace.

32GB is more than enough storage for music and photos. If anything I should get into the habit of moving off photos and videos instead of leaving them on the phone for it's entire lifetime, just sitting there taking up space.
  • Mr-Brett 12 Apr 2013 12:15:58 12,896 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    After my S3 decided to corrupt the SD that came with it beyond all use I realised that I wasn't really using it anyway. I mainly listen to podcasts (stored on the phone) and sometimes stream music through Google music or Deezer (I get it free through Orange) so having a ton of music on an SD was nice and I can understand why someone that uses their phone for music a lot would want it but I get by without any real inconvenience not having it.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• PrivateFloyd 24 Apr 2013 10:50:00 4,189 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Selling my Nexus 4 chaps, but its ok because work have bought me a new contract + phone so the Nexus 4 is surplus to requirements.

So,

Bought from Google Store. Nexus 4 8g with receipt just over 1 month old. Boxed as new. Comes with case and extra usb lead.

200 posted if anyone is interested. Got a fair amount of feedback on here for selling consoles and such so I consider myself reputable!

PM if interested.

Goat is hungry.....

• PrivateFloyd 24 Apr 2013 22:37:22 4,189 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nexus has been sold.

/sadface

Goat is hungry.....

• Sharzam 25 Apr 2013 20:14:10 3,362 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Random but info nonetheless

Finally better late than never the LG 4X P880 has been updated to 4.1.2 officially and the locked bootloader is being worked on. However this is only for Sim-Free European handsets does not include locked and unlocked handsets, only actual true sim free ones. I know because i updated mine fine but a friend couldn't update his the software just said no update available. Also has to be done with LG Support tool on a PC, no OTAP available.

So with my brief fling with WP8 iam back to android properly, as the closed nature was annoying me.

Edited by Sharzam at 20:15:07 25-04-2013

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Deleted user 26 April 2013 11:34:27
    You know what? Fuck Samsung. Fuck them and their shitty Touchwiz bollocks, fuck them and their crappy battery life but most of all fuck them right up the fucking nostril for their utterly shitty support.

It's 9 chuffing *months* after JellyBean got released and the original Note still hasn't received the update. I follow SamKiesUpdates and can see the update's ready because they've had it in Germany, Uzbekistan, Iran and even the Vodafone model got updated in the UK last week (ahead of the unlocked vanilla phone, no less).

Sod them. Along with issues I've had with my Samsung Blu-Ray and my Samsung vacuum cleaner they can fuck right off, they've had enough of my money, never buying from them again
  • Dougs 26 Apr 2013 11:50:31 69,530 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It'll be your network holding it up, not Samsung. Just so they can shove their bloatware on it. Just root it, stick a custom ROM on and be done with it...
  • BinaryBob101 26 Apr 2013 11:50:43 24,446 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nice rant! :-)

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Deleted user 26 April 2013 12:00:39
    Dougs wrote:
    It'll be your network holding it up, not Samsung. Just so they can shove their bloatware on it. Just root it, stick a custom ROM on and be done with it...
    I have a unlocked, purchased direct from Samsung, Galaxy Note. Which they are refusing to support.

And the custom ROMs for Note are shite as they completely fuck up the stylus, which was the whole point of my picking the Note in the first place.
  • Dougs 26 Apr 2013 12:02:31 69,530 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah, in which case, as you were. :)

Not got a Note, but surely there will be a ROM out there that doesn't fuck things up?
  • Deleted user 26 April 2013 12:14:22
    Rhythm wrote:
    You know what? Fuck Samsung. Fuck them and their shitty Touchwiz bollocks, fuck them and their crappy battery life but most of all fuck them right up the fucking nostril for their utterly shitty support.

It's 9 chuffing *months* after JellyBean got released and the original Note still hasn't received the update. I follow SamKiesUpdates and can see the update's ready because they've had it in Germany, Uzbekistan, Iran and even the Vodafone model got updated in the UK last week (ahead of the unlocked vanilla phone, no less).

Sod them. Along with issues I've had with my Samsung Blu-Ray and my Samsung vacuum cleaner they can fuck right off, they've had enough of my money, never buying from them again
    Yup, this. Every morning on the bus I click to check for updates. It is fucking shocking support.
  • TheSaint 26 Apr 2013 12:19:20 14,833 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's one of the main reasons I moved from Galaxy phones to Nexus 4.
  • mikew1985 26 Apr 2013 12:20:29 13,043 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep, just download and install the stock updated ROM.

I've been doing this since day one with my previously O2, Galaxy S3
  • Steve_Perry 27 Apr 2013 11:24:54 5,200 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Missus has just got an S3, so I have been setting it up for her. First time I've used a galaxy, and I've not touched a Samsung since they flipped outwards to open!

The screen is a bloody thing of beauty, and the phone is lightning fast. Upgradable storage is a massive bonus, it really annoys me the amount of handsets now that come with locked storage.

One negative is the build of it. It feels like a bit 'plastic-fantastic'. Screen quality aside, it certainly doesn't feel like a high end phone. I'm buying her a really sturdy case because I can see it getting broken easily. I was thinking about getting an S4 later in the year but I reckon I will go for a HTC or Nexus 4. My One S feels of real quality in comparison even if it is behind in spec and resolution.

Samsungs take on android is not as invasive as I was lead to think, but I still prefer pure android like on the Nexus 7.

Still, a bloody great phone.
  • crashVoodoo 27 Apr 2013 11:29:05 4,022 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    Missus has just got an S3, so I have been setting it up for her. First time I've used a galaxy, and I've not touched a Samsung since they flipped outwards to open!

The screen is a bloody thing of beauty, and the phone is lightning fast. Upgradable storage is a massive bonus, it really annoys me the amount of handsets now that come with locked storage.

One negative is the build of it. It feels like a bit 'plastic-fantastic'. Screen quality aside, it certainly doesn't feel like a high end phone. I'm buying her a really sturdy case because I can see it getting broken easily. I was thinking about getting an S4 later in the year but I reckon I will go for a HTC or Nexus 4. My One S feels of real quality in comparison even if it is behind in spec and resolution.

Samsungs take on android is not as invasive as I was lead to think, but I still prefer pure android like on the Nexus 7.

Still, a bloody great phone.
    Yeah they are a bit plastic however it does work to its advantage in that they can take quite a few bounces and not get damaged.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Steve_Perry 27 Apr 2013 11:39:58 5,200 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah a fair point. Still, I will get a good case, it's worth it in the long run.
  • crashVoodoo 27 Apr 2013 18:19:34 4,022 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    Yeah a fair point. Still, I will get a good case, it's worth it in the long run.
    Oh yeah still get a case. I've lost count of the times my mates dropped his. Still in mint condition. If that had been me, I'd be on a new phone by now.

Talking of Sammy phones, I'm liking that flip cover for the S4 with the screen built in it.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Pinky_Floyd 28 Apr 2013 00:17:44 8,359 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    HTC one arrived yesterday. What a cracking phone!
  • crispyduckman 28 Apr 2013 00:43:37 1,889 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pinky, what's the battery life like under heavy use?

I can see myself getting a HTC One but might wait until the price drops and the custom rom scene takes off. I'm out of contract now but generally pretty happy with my HTC One X running IceColdJelly. I just need more battery life!

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• thelzdking 28 Apr 2013 01:17:56 4,413 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just bought a Huawei Ascend G300. I'm very behind the curve with phones and this is my first smartphone. I just need to get it unlocked to use GiffGaff now.
  • Ginger 28 Apr 2013 07:48:24 6,917 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @crispyduckman the anandtech review seemed to say battery life wasn't terrible.

Edited by Ginger at 07:49:03 28-04-2013

London open taekwondo champion

• Psychotext 28 Apr 2013 09:07:14 55,032 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's good at the moment in Android land? Missus needs a new phone, preferably one with a high sensitivity screen and a good battery life.
  • oconnomiyaki 28 Apr 2013 09:20:43 245 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Had a go on an Xperia Z today. Still can't believe it stops the music player when you open the camera. I'd have thought that they'd have stopped that by now. So annoying & unnecessary.
  • crispyduckman 28 Apr 2013 10:08:44 1,889 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    @crispyduckman the anandtech review seemed to say battery life wasn't terrible.
    I get the impression that it won't do a full day of heavy use and the S4 slightly beats it. I suppose I'll wait for a possible One + or new Nexus. Hopefully we'll see some competition in terms of LTE providers in the mean time.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• Deleted user 28 April 2013 10:45:39
    Psychotext wrote:
    What's good at the moment in Android land? Missus needs a new phone, preferably one with a high sensitivity screen and a good battery life.
    Does it have to be Android? I'm looking at buying the missus an iPhone 5 for her birthday after her shitty experience with Android.
  • Mr-Brett 28 Apr 2013 11:22:50 12,896 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Classic.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• AaronTurner 28 Apr 2013 11:24:09 7,886 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got a Nexus 4 but battery life seems pretty poor, is that par for the course?
  • Psychotext 28 Apr 2013 11:24:50 55,032 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Does it have to be Android? I'm looking at buying the missus an iPhone 5 for her birthday after her shitty experience with Android.
    Yes. It's what's she's used to and I don't really fancy paying the apple tax for inferior hardware.

AaronTurner wrote:
    I got a Nexus 4 but battery life seems pretty poor, is that par for the course?
    From what I can tell from reviews it seems like almost all phones these days have shit battery life. Switching to a smartphone was a huge shock to me.

These have a load of tests on various models: http://blog.gsmarena.com/category/battery-tests/

Edited by Psychotext at 11:26:50 28-04-2013
  • Tonka 28 Apr 2013 11:27:05 21,354 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Psychotext there are plenty of great high end android phones out. But I wouldn't buy anything but the nexus 4 just to be sure that I get the latest software updates.

But hardware wise the latest HTC one is the bees knees.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Page

of 172 First / Last