Android hardware Page 138

• Page

of 163 First / Last

• crashVoodoo 5 Feb 2013 20:44:53 3,849 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Speaking about media, I fired up the Amazon MP3 app on my S2 the other day. Had quite a few purchases I totally forgot about. Streaming worked great as well (wifi or 3G) only 250 tracks for free but lots of other subscription packages available.

Worth a look if you're struggling for space.
    I use play music and deezer for that very reason . dont need to have music eating up space

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Jono62 5 Feb 2013 20:56:09 13,948 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Xperia Z looks very nice. I upgrade on the 3rd March and I'm hoping they are still about then!

Edited by Jono62 at 20:56:32 05-02-2013
  • mrpon 5 Feb 2013 20:58:48 28,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hear ya crash, I use iheartradio apk side loaded. Love it.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Dougs 5 Feb 2013 21:02:55 66,578 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oooh, good shout.... Will check that out.
  • motti82 6 Feb 2013 12:05:33 2,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Touch wood, the Factory restore has sort out the battery woes, I'll be stress testing the phone later.

I'm going to hold out until my contract runs out in the summer for the new Galaxy S4, apparently going to be announced/released in April...
  • CharlieStCloud 6 Feb 2013 13:05:02 5,011 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gosh ...

... the Xperia Z is utterly marvellous.

Mr. Motti, Samsung usually unveil their new flagship Galaxy S phone in May, which is the same time the Galaxy S III was revealed last year; think it shall have a five inch 1080p screen, just like the Xperia Z!
  • Mageme 6 Feb 2013 13:26:51 1,989 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd actually prefer the Xperia ZL if given a choice between that and the Z. The water/dustproof nature of the Z doesn't really interest me that much. Plus, I like the idea of the ZL's dedicated camera shutter button.

Still it's all wishful thinking as I'm not upgrading any time soon and the ZL isn't being released in the UK anyway!

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• motti82 9 Feb 2013 21:31:26 2,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, the stress testing basically confirmed that there's deffo summat wrong with the battery/phone. I've sent the phone off to the Samsung engineers on Thursday, hopefully a new phone/fixed battery awaits me this week.

I'm hoping that I can get the new Galaxy when my contracts up in July time :)
  • phAge 10 Feb 2013 20:28:25 24,336 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trying to upgrade my (non-rooted) GSII to Jelly Bean, but even though it downloads and installs just fine, after the restart it says that the upgrade failed. Arse.
  • Razz 14 Feb 2013 11:41:19 60,742 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Huawei 6.1 Ascend goes up for pre order

/phabphabphabphab

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Stranded87 14 Feb 2013 17:19:15 848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jesus, isn't that getting a bit big? Especially when a lot of people have a tablet as well as a phone now. I suppose it could be seen as the best of both worlds but I'd be inclined to see it as the worst....not big enough to be as good for web browsing, videos etc as a tablet and too big for many people to comfortably use as a phone.

Ah well, the note 2 seems to be doing well enough so perhaps I'm wrong, doesn't do it for me though.
  • Agent_Llama 17 Feb 2013 18:07:05 3,333 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Am torn over the Xperia Z. Ended up getting a Note 2 which is an amazing bit of kit, but it's just not very exciting. The Z is beautiful but... I had a play on the one in my local Three store and was sorely disappointed by it - the display seemed washed out and lacking any depth - although the full HD was clear as day and very impressive - and the animations hung for a fraction of a second when flicking between the app drawer and desktop etc. Little things like that take the shine off. /should have just stuck with little old Lumia 800

Edited by Agent_Llama at 18:14:29 17-02-2013

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola
    FFXIV ARR: Alekzander Lockhart, Odin

• grey_matters 17 Feb 2013 19:34:22 3,670 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Agent_Llama wrote:
    Am torn over the Xperia Z. Ended up getting a Note 2 which is an amazing bit of kit, but it's just not very exciting. The Z is beautiful but... I had a play on the one in my local Three store and was sorely disappointed by it - the display seemed washed out and lacking any depth - although the full HD was clear as day and very impressive - and the animations hung for a fraction of a second when flicking between the app drawer and desktop etc. Little things like that take the shine off. /should have just stuck with little old Lumia 800
    Ah shit, I just recommended it to my girlfriend as an upgrade from an N8. Still, the ridiculously high resolution and the waterproof aspect is probably more than enough to make up for the step down in camera quality (it'll likely spend some of its life as a field computer).
  • Razz 19 Feb 2013 10:50:58 60,742 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OMG Samsung finally rolls out Jellybean to Galaxy Note 1

• Razz 19 Feb 2013 10:53:24 60,742 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Galaxy S4 specs leak ahead of announcement

• Dougs 20 Feb 2013 14:28:52 66,578 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not sure if anyone has had the same issue, but my SGS2 seems to go through spells of displaying "charging" whilst unplugged. Had the problem on all ROMs etc so it's not a software issue. Finally got round to googling it today, seems it's a fault with the USB port - most likely it's got slightly bent. Quick clean and apply a bit of upward pressure and away you go, it stops.
  • Deleted user 20 February 2013 14:48:51
    Mine started off doing exactly the same, now it doesn't charge at all. I had to buy one of these in the end.

Edited by iHAZaCHEEZ3burger at 14:49:36 20-02-2013
  • Razz 20 Feb 2013 14:52:26 60,742 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nice arse in that profile pic

• Deleted user 20 February 2013 14:56:36
    Why thank you good sir.
  • Dougs 20 Feb 2013 15:38:53 66,578 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:
    Mine started off doing exactly the same, now it doesn't charge at all. I had to buy one of these in the end.
    You could just replace the USB port - seems easy enough to do, 7 for a new port on Ebay!
  • TheRealBadabing 20 Feb 2013 19:37:38 1,279 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Picked up a Sumvision Cyclone Voyager 10.1" tablet today for about 130.

First impressions are good, seems as fast as my old Nexus 7 and the OS (4.1) hasn't been customised to death either.

Screen is nowhere near as nice as the N7 but it is IPS so viewing angles are good and colours are decent enough. Build quality is a bit iffy too and it is surprisingly easy to flex enough that the screen distorts. Definitely get what you pay for in build quality.

For 130 it is cracking value but I will be keeping it in a rigid cover just in case.
  • crashVoodoo 23 Feb 2013 18:50:14 3,849 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Google's perv-o-vision is set to be released later this year. I'm genuinely interested in this

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Jono62 23 Feb 2013 19:29:52 13,948 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still got my Desire HD which is going strong thanks to the wonderful ROMs out there.

Switched to Samsung based one, but after signing into my usual apps, it kept on bootlooping. So restored the previous one and got an email from Dropbox giving me 48gb of extra space for having a Samsung mobile!

Just waiting for Thursday to get the Xperia Z. Can't wait!
  • Maturin 23 Feb 2013 19:39:05 2,889 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I bought a MK809 Android USB stick this week. I wanted it to use as my music streamer from my PC upstairs to my surround amp in my lounge. And I thought I could also use it for a few other things like YouTube and the like. Although my Panasonic 46" plasma looks great, it is from 2009 and lacks many of the "smart" features you get these day - I thought the USB stick would provide them.

The stick came with a micro-usb power cable/adapter and a very short male to female HDMI lead. The stick itself has a male HDMI plug - fine if you are connecting it straight to a TV/amp but not so good if you want to have it placed differently. The stick does get a little hot and instead of between shelves and sat on top of my surround amp I wanted it on the top of the AV centre. So I bought a female/female HDMI adapter (<2) so I could then use a regular long HDMI lead to the AV amp.

I'm very happy with the Android USB stick. It's running 4.1 and handles most apps very well. YouTube looks fabulous. The FLAC streaming I wanted to do works really well. I have Media Monkey running a server on my PC, and use Bubble UPnP on my Android devices. That means that I can control the USB stick without the TV on. From my tablet or phone I can use Bubble to make my PC the source and the USB stick the render then tell it what tracks to play.

There are some odd things. Certain apps aren't compatible when you would think they are. Also Google Movies seems to download the SD versions of bought movies rather than the HD ones. Maybe this is something to do with the space on the device - but I think it's more likely given it streams them in SD too that it thinks the device isn't HD. It is, the launcher is running at 1080p.

As I said there is only about 500MB of usable space on the system partition and 4GB of SD card space. However there is a MicroSD slot for your own music/videos. Many apps can be moved to the SD card anyway. I've tried using a USB hub and that worked well, allowing me to use all manner of USB sticks, mice, keyboards and even hard drives.

Once I'd had the MK809 for a few days and was sure it was going to actually work - they are after all cheap and badly built - I bought one of these mini keyboards/keypads. Works surprisingly well, though it does mean you have to use US layout - so no sign. The on-screen keyboard still pops up though. I've had this issue on other devices and solved it with a great app called External Keyboard Helper Pro. I set this as my keyboard and then it keeps out of the way while I'm using the remote.

There's also an app on the Android market called MK802iii that performs much the same function. Allowing you to use your phone or tablet as a remote for the MK809. Very neat.

Edited by Maturin at 19:43:57 23-02-2013
  • Agent_Llama 23 Feb 2013 20:47:26 3,333 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now stuck in the realm of indecision. Ordered an Xperia Z (can't wait!) but currently have a two-week-old Note 2 due to managing to swap my first Note 2 on the last possible day of returns after ruining the bezel with a stone in my pocket (don't ask). It's a lovely phone but the Z has piqued phone-whore interest like nothing else recently. So, conundrum, stick the Note 2 on eBay or keep it and cancel Z preorder? (If anyone wants an unlocked Note 2 in immaculate condition plus official flip and protective covers, PM me maybe?)

Edited by Agent_Llama at 20:48:14 23-02-2013

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola
    FFXIV ARR: Alekzander Lockhart, Odin

• sanctusmortis 26 Feb 2013 16:46:34 9,627 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lusting quite hard after the Z. Just popped up on Virgin too, with existing customers paying a minimum of 28 plus 19 up front. Bloody good offer for people with bad credit (Virgin Media customers of more than a year are pretty much guaranteed to be accepted). Horrendously tempted.
  • Jono62 26 Feb 2013 17:59:47 13,948 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got a Xperia Z coming on Thursday. It was between that phone and the HTC One which comes out on the 15th March. It looks lovely, but I wanted to try something different from HTC.
  • grey_matters 26 Feb 2013 18:17:47 3,670 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    I've got a Xperia Z coming on Thursday. It was between that phone and the HTC One which comes out on the 15th March. It looks lovely, but I wanted to try something different from HTC.
    Could you give a quick review when you get the chance? It still isn't available here but I suspect the pre-order (and the accompanying headphone offer) will kick off in the next few days.
  • Jono62 26 Feb 2013 18:18:40 13,948 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Will do.
  • Jono62 28 Feb 2013 21:12:31 13,948 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    First impressions of the Xperia Z are very good. The phone itself is very light. It's huge but fits nicely in my hand and I'm able to use one-handed.

It's super quick compared to the Desire HD and it's very slick. The brightness is quite low even on auto brightness. Going from the homescreen to your apps is quick. Didn't experience any lag and swiping through the different screen was also lag free. I experienced a reboot early on flicking through screens but, so far, it has been a one off.

The video looks fantastic. Sharp colours and the sound through the speaker is surprisingly clear. The camera is also very, very nice. Again vibrant colours and the detail is crisp.

WiFi works instantly and loads pages fast. Once my SIM is activated I will be seeing how 3G is.

Only thing I haven't tried is the Walkman app but I shall be trying it out tomorrow.

Overall, I love it so far, just wish the brightness level was a little higher. Recommended.
  • Page

of 163 First / Last