Android hardware Page 136

• Page

of 158 First / Last

• monkehhh 8 Oct 2012 20:16:16 3,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @BurnoutJunkie Not sure about rooting, I'd imagine some folks have figured it out by now. I've not really felt the need as the phone's powerful enough to handle everything I throw at it, and the default experience seems fine for me.

Twitter is Twitter, seems fine and performs well enough, but it's not going to win any awards for any awesome features. Can't say I've ever texted more than 10 people at once - though the limit on the stock messager is 10 here. I'm not using any of the Samsung stuff yet - most of it seems pointless to me, especially the various stores and hubs - though I'll probably sign up to activate the stolen phone finder thingy.

I can't imagine it's a huge difference from a Note 1 - though you could make it entirely unrecognisable to my device by rooting and flashing, such is the fun of Android. Switching to iOS from Android would probably make me want to shoot myself ;)
  • Maturin 8 Oct 2012 20:30:07 2,737 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Maturin wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Im suspecting another childish ragequit
    Nah, I won't be bullied out of places I enjoy again. :)
    Its not really bullying. He made a reasonably shit joke to which you overreacted.
    Wasn't referring to him. But past episodes.

Edited by Maturin at 20:30:30 08-10-2012
  • nickthegun 8 Oct 2012 20:35:03 55,877 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oic

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• crashVoodoo 8 Oct 2012 22:21:44 3,821 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @octo i agree. so much so i tried to buy it in carphonewarehouse then and there.
    they had none available so I came home and searched online for it. found it free instead and for a cheaper cost per month than i'm paying now

/result

arrives wednesday

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• crashVoodoo 8 Oct 2012 22:28:09 3,821 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    @BurnoutJunkie Not sure about rooting, I'd imagine some folks have figured it out by now. I've not really felt the need as the phone's powerful enough to handle everything I throw at it, and the default experience seems fine for me.

Twitter is Twitter, seems fine and performs well enough, but it's not going to win any awards for any awesome features. Can't say I've ever texted more than 10 people at once - though the limit on the stock messager is 10 here. I'm not using any of the Samsung stuff yet - most of it seems pointless to me, especially the various stores and hubs - though I'll probably sign up to activate the stolen phone finder thingy.

I can't imagine it's a huge difference from a Note 1 - though you could make it entirely unrecognisable to my device by rooting and flashing, such is the fun of Android. Switching to iOS from Android would probably make me want to shoot myself ;)
    seems like its a piece of piss to root although this does increase the binary counter. i'll be doing it when it arrives anyway so i can transfer my game saves from dropbox using Datasync

Edited by crashVoodoo at 22:30:39 08-10-2012

• octo 8 Oct 2012 23:16:07 979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @crashVoodoo Cool. Care to share the deal around?
  • crashVoodoo 8 Oct 2012 23:46:06 3,821 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    octo wrote:
    @crashVoodoo Cool. Care to share the deal around?
    yeah no probs.
    i've been checking contracts ever since the phone went on sale so I'd already set my mind on an orange panther 600mins, 3000 txts, 1gb data with 2 swappables i'll come to why shortly

everywhere had this for £49.99 up front and then £36pm afterwards so i was set to pay this at carphone warehouse. found it later that evening from dialaphone for £zero upfront for the phone, 900mins, unlimited txts + same data for £33.50pm. better than my current deal on t-mobile with my nexus s with the data limit being the exception

you can leave now unless you want to know why i picked the contract

basically i've monitored all data usage on my phone for the past year (a little bit anal i know), purely so i had the knowledge at upgrade time.

currently i have a 3gb limit and even though i use it a lot, i rarely use more than a gig without streaming music or radio to use up the rest. which brings me to the swappable freebies on the orange contract.

one of the avalable swappables is Deezer, which is a bit like spotify. stream whatever you like and it doesn't count to my 1gb limit

Edited by crashVoodoo at 23:50:14 08-10-2012

• Sharzam 12 Oct 2012 19:18:00 2,118 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just wondering if any thoughts on the RAZRi?

Two things i dont like about alot of new androids is the increasing size and the custom skins. As a Nexus S user i naturally think get a Galaxy Nexus or the LG Nexus at the end of October, but that brings back to the size issue.

So with size in mind and wanting a more 'android experience' i come across the Motorola RAZRi which doesnt have much fluff like sense and touch wiz and has a 4.3" screen. Although only 8gb ROM it does support micro SD so that shouldnt be a problem. Only negatives i can see are the relative low pixel density compared to the big boys (get what you pay for) and the Intel 2ghz CPU while plenty fast may have app issues and slow android updates caused by the X86 instead ARM artitecture.

So with this in mind just wondering what people think as i plan to buy a phone SIM-Free in the next few days. As sick of tying myself down to 2 year contracts. The RAZRi is £345, the nearest in price/size is the One S at £310 however that has no NFC and much smaller storage.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/motorola-razr-i-1098183/review

oh and a little worried about buying a non nexus device as i love having the latest android. Not that jelly bean works properly on nexus s as it just isnt powerful enourgh.

edit: Huh just noticed the LG X4 HD is £300 at Expansys, thats damm cheap for a full fledged Tegra 3 powered beast. But its LG so kiss good byes to updates and j beans.

Edited by Sharzam at 20:11:49 12-10-2012

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• stephenb 12 Oct 2012 19:56:10 2,677 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I got the Xperia T last week. It's rather lovely. Dual core, decent size screen and it runs smoothly. Don't know how much this would be at retail but I'm really impressed with it so far.

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• CharlieStCloud 12 Oct 2012 20:12:49 4,690 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    stephenb wrote:
    I got the Xperia T last week. It's rather lovely. Dual core, decent size screen and it runs smoothly. Don't know how much this would be at retail but I'm really impressed with it so far.
    It is £449...! I believe it is better known as 'the Bond phone' though.

I have got the Xperia S myself - love the blooming thing.
  • stephenb 12 Oct 2012 20:27:39 2,677 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah the guy did say it was in Skyfall. That wasn't the selling point for me, screen is lovely, 13 megapixel camera too :)

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• CharlieStCloud 12 Oct 2012 20:32:05 4,690 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sharzam wrote:
    Just wondering if any thoughts on the RAZRi?
    ... blooming ugly for starters!

You can buy a Xperia S (SIM free) for under £300 or a Galaxy Nexus, again SIM free, for £299 at Tesco.
  • Kay 12 Oct 2012 20:43:29 17,404 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not sure if it'll help (and surprised it hasn't already been mentioned in this thread), but the Galaxy S3 Mini was announced yesterday. As the name suggests it's a smaller (4" screen), cheaper, dual-core version of the S3, and it'll come with Jelly Bean. Might be up your street.

Edit: Ah, I see you wanted a pure Android phone. Still, I've had no issues with Touchwiz.

Edited by Kay at 20:45:06 12-10-2012
  • Sharzam 12 Oct 2012 22:32:05 2,118 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud

Yeah i did think the Galaxy Nexus as it is £294 from Amazon. But i cant shake the feeling that is alot moolah, for out dated tech. I know we are getting a newer nexus but that will be £500+.

• Carlo 12 Oct 2012 22:33:37 17,913 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My Nexus 7 just got an update to 4.1.2

The home screen rotates now! Whoohoo!

PSN ID: Djini

• L0cky 12 Oct 2012 23:51:18 1,442 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did not notice that :)
  • Sharzam 13 Oct 2012 21:53:11 2,118 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Had a fiddle with a few phones today. The Xperia T is lovely but the cheapest price is £400 the S is £300 but not really what I want. I was most surprised by how thin the LG X4 felt not at all chunky like how it looks. As for the RAZR I in person it looks and feels rather solid but doesn't really feel any smaller than the quad core phones.

So thinking of the LG which for the most part is android with only a few touches to the UI like custom icons (which are changeable) and lock screen. So with that might will order the LG as it is £300 for quad core phone.

Edited by Sharzam at 21:55:07 13-10-2012

• DodgyPast 26 Oct 2012 18:32:35 8,337 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just grabbed a note 10.1 and pretty pleased with it.

Will be in putting it through it's paces over the next few days. I did actually want the dual screen and note taking functions since a lot of the stuff I'm studying is in pdf format.

First impression is that the speakers are good enough for light media consumption which is quite a plus.
  • THFourteen 8 Nov 2012 16:13:46 31,817 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now rocking a CM10 nightly build on my Galaxy Note.

So far so good, and i've also finally managed to work out how to use TItanium Backup, and set the stuff to backup directly to my SD card so wiping and restoring is much easier.
  • crashVoodoo 8 Nov 2012 16:24:05 3,821 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Now rocking a CM10 nightly build on my Galaxy Note.

So far so good, and i've also finally managed to work out how to use TItanium Backup, and set the stuff to backup directly to my SD card so wiping and restoring is much easier.
    Titanium update just got the ability to make flashable zips. Quite impressive if you regularly flash roms.

• THFourteen 8 Nov 2012 16:52:17 31,817 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i tried that and cwm recovery crashed when i tried to install the update.zip!

had to reflash the ROM.
  • crashVoodoo 8 Nov 2012 17:50:54 3,821 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    i tried that and cwm recovery crashed when i tried to install the update.zip!

had to reflash the ROM.
    Oh dear. Maybe not so awesome then.

• Sharzam 8 Nov 2012 18:57:59 2,118 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Was bored on Sunday evening so decided to Root my phone. Still have a locked boot loader so no CWM for me but the added features/dangers of rooting still make it pretty intreasting.

I wanted a way to view saved wifi keys to make it easier to share and write down, turns out that there is an app for just that if your rooted. Another handy feature i am liking is locking out apps such as the default calculator which i have no use for as i use a scientic calculator app. Another example is the finance tracking that all phones have in the background but i dont play on stock markets so was able to junk it entirely.

Highly reccommed anyone that has a bit of savvy about them to root there phone. I guess the sort of person that reads up on it are the sort of person that wont break there phones.

• crashVoodoo 8 Nov 2012 19:27:20 3,821 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you're rooted you might also like an app called datasync. Allows you to backup per app settings and savegames to cloud services or sync them between multiple devices

• wayneh 14 Nov 2012 10:10:43 2,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My S2 has completely died won't power up or anything. It's 18 months old and out of warranty so I've taken it into a repair shop who think it's the logic board that's died and beyond economical repair :( Anyone know where I'd stand legally if I went back to 3 mobile and quoted the sale of goods act as it came free with the contract?

Edited by wayneh at 10:11:07 14-11-2012

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• Dougs 14 Nov 2012 10:14:54 64,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've never tested it, but I've always thought that if you're on a 2 year contract, there's an expectation that it will last at least that long. There is no harm in trying (let me know how you get on!). At the very least, I suspect they will offer you a new deal!
  • wayneh 14 Nov 2012 11:11:13 2,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've contacted three mobile and they have refused to help me in any way what so ever or even provide a contact number to make a complaint to. My details have been logged and I'm to sit next to my landline for up to 7 days waiting for their complaints team to call. I'm now in limbo until they do call and if they refuse to help my only option is the small claims court.

• DodgyPast 14 Nov 2012 11:35:53 8,337 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sale of goods should cover you, I know when my Dell laptop stopped booting they tried to fob me off with it being out of warranty until I mentioned the sale of goods act.

It's worth noting that misleading someone as to their customer rights is a criminal offence. Maybe worth going into a 3 shop and mentioning this when they try to lie to you.
  • L0cky 14 Nov 2012 11:37:29 1,442 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rooted my HTC Desire and upgraded to Gingerbread. Also allowed apps to be properly installed on the SD card.

Really added a new lease of life to the phone now that I can install more than 5 apps \o/

Nope, still won't need a new phone for at least another year...
  • wayneh 14 Nov 2012 12:40:17 2,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DodgyPast It might be better to do that than talk to their call centres

• Page

of 158 First / Last