Android hardware Page 2

• Page

of 163 First / Last

• JohnnyWashnGo 23 Mar 2010 13:20:16 1,544 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    Basically I was highly disappointed after the amount of hype I'd heard about the Hero. I'm in the market for a new phone soon though and was looking at the Legend / Desire, but I'm genuinely after some consumer advice as I'd rather pay less and get the Hero if it's decent.

If you are in the market for a great Android phone, I would go for the desire. Having used a Nexus One since launch, I can attest to the fact that it is fast and responsive. My old Hero, which I love dearly and still do enjoy using from time to time, appears somewhat slow and clunky when compared to the N1. I can only assume the same can be said of the difference between the Legend (which is bloody sexy with that aluminium unibody) and the desire.

As for unique apps, well I am sure that there are some, but I haven't gone looking for any personally. I have the apps installed that I use daily and that is it. Googles apps are all very nice and really help make the phones special when compared to similar devices.

When compared to an iPhone, the N1/HTC Desire perform quite well. The speed of those two Android phones is certainly not an issue, they both have the 1Gz Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU as well as a pretty good amount of RAM. They even multitask without a problem.

And also, check out the Android build of Ilomilo: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=177365

All in all, the new Android superphones are worth investing in. They are fast, capable and most importantly to me, open and extensible.
  • pauleyc 23 Mar 2010 13:48:59 4,447 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @rutter

Initially I wanted to suggest Flyscreen but I can't find it on the market - possibly it requires 1.6+ so I can't really comment on that. As for unlocking - frankly speaking I have no idea, the internet suggests a number of (rather expensive) paid solutions with very mixed results. The xda-developers forum might have more on that.

@zerobob:

I have used the iPhone only 1-2 times so don't really have enough experience to compare it to the Hero. But coming from Symbian/Nokia, Android was like a breath of fresh air. The interface is a matter of taste, I don't find it clunky but convenient (especially Sense). To me the browser and Google maps also appear responsive enough, then again it might be the lack of comparison.

However, Android is in no way an imitation of the iPhone. As for originality - I guess there are only so many ways to design a touch-controlled interface. A number of solutions were implemented by Palm devices years before the iPhone anyway. But I'd suggest the Desire - as Johnny already did.
  • rutter 23 Mar 2010 14:02:05 1,919 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers. I've just asked on the XDA devs forum (last time I'd posted on there was 2006 when I was using a HTC Mini-S!).

Turns out I can get an unlocked/unbranded one from mobilephonesdirect.co.uk - so I may well go with that...
  • terminalterror 23 Mar 2010 14:35:34 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rutter wrote:
    I was all set on the HD2 (I still prefer it in terms of hardware) but the whole WM7 upgrade debacle has put me right off. From what I've read it's fairly certain it'll never see WP7 on it. Shame. Mind you, the more I read about WP7 the more gimped it seems to be getting. And, I didn't fancy being stuck on WM6.5.3 as an abandoned platform by developers.

If you wait a bit, you'll be able to get the Incredible or the Supersonic (both seem to be HD2 equivilants running Android, can't seem to tell what makes one better than the other).
  • rutter 23 Mar 2010 14:38:52 1,919 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I was think that this morning. I think the supersonic is getting officially announced today/tomorrow in the US.

I'm just fed up of waiting to be honest and want a shiny new toy :)
  • Whatsfor 23 Mar 2010 22:57:51 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looks like the Supersonic has been renamed Evo...
  • terminalterror 23 Mar 2010 23:22:23 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Engadget hands on with the Evo
  • rutter 24 Mar 2010 08:16:51 1,919 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, that supersonic looks chuffing awesome! Any one read if it's likely to see a UK release? I might email HTC to ask before I order my desire today.

That's one hell of a phone!
  • JohnnyWashnGo 24 Mar 2010 08:40:52 1,544 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Supersonic/EVO is bloody amazing. 1Gb of internal memory? Brilliant.

For a second I thought they had put the Qualcomm QSD8672 CPU in there, which would be nice as it is dual core, but it looks like it used the QSD8650. which is still pretty chuffing good.

I think this has replace the Desire as my next phone. Just need a UK release date now ;)

Good golly that is a sexy piece of hardware !!
  • Vroom 24 Mar 2010 08:49:50 4,644 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Suits you sir!

Vroom

• rutter 24 Mar 2010 09:27:02 1,919 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, I've gone ahead and pre-ordered my Desire. Cost of the phone just 5.99 on tmob (through mobilephonesdirect). 25/month, 300 mins, 300 txts and unlimited internet. 18mth contract. (plus 30 cashback through topcashback!)

I can't see the Supersonic being available for that sort of deal when/if it arrives here, so I'm happy. Plus I'm fed up of waiting. And the desire has an AMOLED screen rather than TFT.
  • JohnnyWashnGo 24 Mar 2010 09:34:52 1,544 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rutter wrote:
    Well, I've gone ahead and pre-ordered my Desire. Cost of the phone just 5.99 on tmob (through mobilephonesdirect). 25/month, 300 mins, 300 txts and unlimited internet. 18mth contract. (plus 30 cashback through topcashback!)

I can't see the Supersonic being available for that sort of deal when/if it arrives here, so I'm happy. Plus I'm fed up of waiting. And the desire has an AMOLED screen rather than TFT.

Thats a pretty good deal you go there. I think you made the right choice. I love me Nexus One and the Desire looks to be just as good if not better (it has hard keys not soft keys - easy win). The supersonic looks nice but I don't see it being released over here anytime soon and you are correct, AMOLED > TFT :)
  • rutter 24 Mar 2010 09:48:58 1,919 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I got a (pretty unhelpful) reply from HTC about a UK release of the Supersonic.

Dear Paul

Thank you for contacting us.

At the moment we won't comment on future products releases before an official statement but we suggest to follow us on our social networks (Facebook, Twitter) or consult periodically our website for the latest news on our products.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if required.

Best regards,

Pedro S.
    HTC
  • terminalterror 24 Mar 2010 12:13:48 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I doubt we'll see the EVO at all, it is a 4G phone using CDMA and WIMAX, which we don't have over here. I wouldn't be surprised if they release a different, but similarly specced (except for the 4G) model over here instead.
  • myiagros 27 Mar 2010 17:11:28 1,346 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I tried to order one of these over the phone earlier, but t-mobile are refusing to let me keep my exisitng PAYG number.

I might go into my local t-mobile store on monday, to see if they can sort it out for me.
  • Cuchulainn 29 Mar 2010 15:21:39 845 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Was in a t-mobile store earlier and they are not in stores just yet (though some online orders havbe been sent out apparently). Definitely getting one asap though - looks like a fantastic phone.
  • rutter 29 Mar 2010 15:49:01 1,919 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    According to XDA devs forum there are some Carphone Warehouse stores which now have them in. They're unlocked with un-gimped HTC firmware.
  • myiagros 29 Mar 2010 18:06:29 1,346 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    myiagros wrote:
    I tried to order one of these over the phone earlier, but t-mobile are refusing to let me keep my exisitng PAYG number.

I might go into my local t-mobile store on monday, to see if they can sort it out for me.

i went into my local t-mobile store this morining and they are saying exactly the same thing.

It seems stupid that someone from another network could transfer their number onto a t-mobile contract, but they won't do it from t-mobile payg.

I'm now in the process of transfering my number to o2 payg.
    If t-mobile are still doing this phone at a decent price in 3 months time (the minimum time between transfers), then i may well transfer my number back to a t-mobile contract.
  • Destria 29 Mar 2010 20:23:06 2,823 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wait... does this mean that I've got to transfer my number from a T-Mobile payg to a T-Mobile contract, I've got to transfer it to another network, and then back again?!

I've only just transferred the bloody thing from my old (corporate) Orange account to a T-Mobile payg! That's 6 months of doing the PAC-code dance! Muppets.
  • Razz 29 Mar 2010 20:29:21 61,067 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have you tried going into a T-mobile shop instead of calling them?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Destria 29 Mar 2010 20:43:58 2,823 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Haven't got the phone yet (picking it up from the courier's house tomorrow). I suppose I could wander in with both of my phones and a big stick and beat them into making sense.
  • myiagros 30 Mar 2010 00:57:23 1,346 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Have you tried going into a T-mobile shop instead of calling them?

yes i got the same answer in store as over the phone.

Destria wrote:
    Wait... does this mean that I've got to transfer my number from a T-Mobile payg to a T-Mobile contract, I've got to transfer it to another network, and then back again?!

I've only just transferred the bloody thing from my old (corporate) Orange account to a T-Mobile payg! That's 6 months of doing the PAC-code dance! Muppets.

That exacly what i'm going to do. I'll be ringing roud the networks in the morning to see who will let you transfer your number again after the shortest period of time (according to the guys in Carphone Warehouse most of the networks won't let you move you number again for 3 months).
  • Destria 30 Mar 2010 07:06:26 2,823 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you find out, be sure to post here. I'll probably be doing the same thing in 3 months time when T-Mobile let me move my number out again...
  • PearOfAnguish 31 Mar 2010 10:31:37 7,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone ever used handtec? They have the Desire for 387 SIM free: http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=2749
  • rutter 31 Mar 2010 11:25:10 1,919 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have heard mostly good things about Handtec. Clove are also meant to be good too.
  • myiagros 2 Apr 2010 18:25:05 1,346 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Destria wrote:
    If you find out, be sure to post here. I'll probably be doing the same thing in 3 months time when T-Mobile let me move my number out again...

Apparently Tesco mobile will let you transfer your number straight back, which I'm in the middle of arranging at the moment.
  • rutter 6 Apr 2010 13:07:34 1,919 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My Desire has arrived! Missus has taken delivery, unpacked and put on charge for me, bless her!

Roll on hometime. I'm just a bit excited!
  • PearOfAnguish 6 Apr 2010 14:17:14 7,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Reg review of the Desire. Sounds good.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 6 Apr 2010 14:50:32 12,740 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Reg review of the Desire. Sounds good.

Ohhh, and here I was considering the HTC Legend when they've already got a better one out!
  • Whatsfor 6 Apr 2010 15:33:06 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    rutter wrote:
    My Desire has arrived! Missus has taken delivery, unpacked and put on charge for me, bless her!

Roll on hometime. I'm just a bit excited!

She did your gadget unboxing for you?

Kill her.

Kill her now and bury her under the patio!
  • Page

of 163 First / Last