Android hardware

• Page

of 158 First / Last

Previous
  • Razz 3 Feb 2010 23:16:16 59,993 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's basically a HTC HD2 with Android :))

Specs:

- Dimensions -56 x 112 x 11.7 millimetres
    - 3.7in AMOLED 480 x 800 touchscreen with multitouch support
    - Sense UI by HTC
    - 5MP camera (with auto-focus and 720p HD video capture)
    - WiFi a,b,g and n, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR , a compass, GPS, FM radio and integration with Facebook, Flickr, Twitter and Microsoft Exchange.
    - Snapdragon 1GHz Processor
    - microSD, microSDHC, TransFlash, SDIO
    - removable 1400mAh battery
    - Internal RAM 320MB, ROM 512MB

Finally, an android phone to get excited about! The Nexus One doesn't do it for me. Coming out in the UK in March! \o/

I imagine T-Mobile et al will be slapping everyone with a 24 month contract if you fancy an upgrade. :/ Bastards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Dizzy 3 Feb 2010 23:18:18 2,442 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    >Finally, an android phone to get excited about

When the actually work I will get excited.
  • Razz 3 Feb 2010 23:19:35 59,993 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Poor choice of words really, I haven't been excited about any Android phones since the G1. I've been holding out for a decent android phone with a keyboard but this might sway me.

• silentbob 3 Feb 2010 23:44:16 28,917 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OLED means this phone != HD2

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• terminalterror 4 Feb 2010 00:51:39 18,937 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Two things make this more appealing than the Nexus One to me: HTC Sense, but mainly the fact that it has real buttons at the bottom, not touch ones.
  • Razz 4 Feb 2010 09:41:16 59,993 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just had a play with a friends nexus 1. Ah man, I like it now, nifty phone surprisingly robust features. I'm goihng to wait for some reviews and comparisons in march as I'm definitely split between the 2.

• pauleyc 4 Feb 2010 10:05:23 4,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I intend to get it for my wife. The LED-only flash is a drawback compared to her SE K850i Xenon one, plus the OLED screen is barely (if at all) legible in direct sunlight. But Android+Sense is such a slick combination that it's definitely worth it. I just hope the battery life won't be worse than my Hero's.
  • JohnnyWashnGo 4 Feb 2010 10:32:33 1,544 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is the non Google branded version of the Nexus One with HTC sense loaded onto it isn't it?

As a proud owner of a Nexus One, I can only say that this will be a cracking phone. The OLED screen in the N1 is a thing of beauty as well as proving to be less of a strain than the LCD screen of my HTC Hero.

The N1 is probably the best phone I have ever had, narrowly beating the Hero due to screen size/resolution and ergonomics but it does shoot itself in the foot with the soft keys.

Battery life on the N1 is pretty good if you don't have push email/constant syncing/wi-fi/bluetooth etc all turned on at once. I found that getting a day out of it with those turned on was challenging. I then tried it without them turned on and got a full weekend and more out of a single charge, which included making calls, surfing the net, reading books etc. The Bravo and the N1 are so similar in spec and have the same battery that I can only assume the Bravo will behave in the same way.

I think I will pass on this phone, as I tend only to buy Android phones that are difference from the ones I have so that I can test apps on actually hardware. My money is being kept to one side for the Nexus Two which is, reportedly, being made by Motorola.
  • Slurmseh 4 Feb 2010 14:54:36 2,322 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The camera has flash right?
  • mcmonkeyplc 4 Feb 2010 14:58:06 38,899 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Get an iphoooooooone!

/shots self.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• silentbob 4 Feb 2010 23:21:49 28,917 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JohnnyWashnGo wrote:
    This is the non Google branded version of the Nexus One with HTC sense loaded onto it isn't it?

As a proud owner of a Nexus One, I can only say that this will be a cracking phone. The OLED screen in the N1 is a thing of beauty as well as proving to be less of a strain than the LCD screen of my HTC Hero.

The N1 is probably the best phone I have ever had, narrowly beating the Hero due to screen size/resolution and ergonomics but it does shoot itself in the foot with the soft keys.

Battery life on the N1 is pretty good if you don't have push email/constant syncing/wi-fi/bluetooth etc all turned on at once. I found that getting a day out of it with those turned on was challenging. I then tried it without them turned on and got a full weekend and more out of a single charge, which included making calls, surfing the net, reading books etc. The Bravo and the N1 are so similar in spec and have the same battery that I can only assume the Bravo will behave in the same way.

I think I will pass on this phone, as I tend only to buy Android phones that are difference from the ones I have so that I can test apps on actually hardware. My money is being kept to one side for the Nexus Two which is, reportedly, being made by Motorola.
    *cough*no multitouch until 2 days ago*cough*

What else have they left out until the last minute. ;)

..oh apparently working 3G and a fluid keyboard. Awesome!

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Whatsfor 16 Feb 2010 22:09:22 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So the HTC Bravo has become the HTC Desire.

Pretty much the same spec as the Nexus One but it loses the NC Mic on the back. It gains physical buttons rather then the much debated soft keys. It also has slightly more RAM (576MB).

Oh, and Sense UI :D
  • morriss 16 Feb 2010 22:27:26 70,749 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HTC Legend looks sexy: http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/16/htc-legend-hands-on/
  • Whatsfor 16 Feb 2010 22:30:02 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Legend does look nice, but I like the extra half inch on the screen of the Desire.
  • El_MUERkO 16 Feb 2010 23:04:39 16,832 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Poor choice of words really, I haven't been excited about any Android phones since the G1. I've been holding out for a decent android phone with a keyboard but this might sway me.

what about the Motorola milestone? looks pretty snazzy to me once you get 2.1 on it :)

i'm on my launch hero, going to switch to the x10 if it matches the hype
  • Whatsfor 17 Feb 2010 10:13:42 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Doesn't the X10 run Android 1.6 El_MUERkO?
  • darcycoby 1 Mar 2010 20:20:06 1 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    HTC Bravo is a smart 3G compatible device, which is equipped with amazing looking shinny black colored casing and several other features. Nowadays HTC are using the best technologies while making its product and this particular unit is also loaded with various great set of technological advancements.

HTC Bravo is stupendously incredible as this widget works over GSM quad band network that covers GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 and 3G HSDPA networks. Users can get help via GPS navigation feature that supports Google maps and Digital Compass.

Furthermore, Text messaging with threaded view, Multimedia Messaging, Email and IM are also merged so the users can get in touch with their near and dear once easily. No need to take tension as the memory capability of the phone provides enough storage to storage your load of data. It offers 512 Mbytes ROM and 320 Mbytes RAM, besides the HTC Bravo also proffers MicroSD expandable memory card slot that supports up to 16GB. In fact, this is a true performer that offers excellent value for money.

Thanks for sharing.

Wholesale Consumer Electronic & Gadgets
  • StixxUK 1 Mar 2010 20:32:45 7,170 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Slurmseh wrote:
    The camera has flash right?
    Anyone?

My next Android phone must have a decent camera with flash!
  • rutter 22 Mar 2010 13:35:27 1,919 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, the HTC Desire is now up to order on T-Mobile. They're expecting stock on the 26th. After much umming and ahhing between this and the HD2, my finger is poised over the order button for the desire.

But, I'm an Android noob, so can one of you kind Android experts answer a couple of questions, please?

1. Is there an app or hack to get upcoming appointments displayed on the lock screen?
    2. Can I group my apps into folders?

• pauleyc 23 Mar 2010 11:45:07 4,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the Desire might indeed be a better choice since the HD2 won't get any update toWM7 AFAIK - of course, nothing is known about the possible upgrade paths to future versions of Android but that's still a better answer than "no". :-)

As for your questions:
    1. Not to my knowledge; lots of widgets to display calendar/agenda info on the home screen but you'd still have to slide the lock screen at least partially down to view it.
    2. Yes, however you can group apps into folders only on the home screens; 7 screens are offered by the HTC Sense UI. Certain apps offer also the creation of live folders with special pre-defined content - starred contacts, bookmarks, notes etc. The app drawer shows by default all installed programs.
  • frugtkompot 23 Mar 2010 12:07:01 2,817 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    In the position previously occupied by the Hero.
  • pauleyc 23 Mar 2010 12:17:21 4,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Bill Door

Below the Desire (and the to-be-announced Supersonic and Incredible models) and above the Hero.

The Legend is an excellent little phone by the way, got one for my wife on Friday and she absolutely loves it. Great build quality, the aluminium unibody design feels really solid. The screen is clear and vivid even in the second-to-lowest brightness setting (at the lowest setting the colours are a bit washed out). The 2.1 version is really fast, I haven't noticed any slow-downs in the apps I've installed and tested. The Legend feels overall much snappier than the Hero, I hope the rumored April 2nd upgrade for the latter will even that out.

So far the battery life seems a bit worse than my Hero - however I can't tell whether it's a case of usage, connectivity or slightly faster processor. It should be possible to get two days of standard mixed usage from a charge.
  • terminalterror 23 Mar 2010 12:42:46 18,937 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I love the current HTC phone naming scheme. Hero, Legend, Desire, Incredible - all awesome names. I suppose it won't be long till we have the HTC Awesome too :)

I also love their new corporate slogan: "quietly brilliant" scrawled in handwriting under their logo. Their phones are generally good enough for them to get away with it as cheeky rather than arrogant.
  • Zerobob 23 Mar 2010 12:46:27 1,602 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The HTC range seems all over the place. A load of large screen, touch screen phones, all with advantages and disadvantages over one another.

There doesn't seem to be an incremental range of spec and prices, just a load of naff names and confusion.
  • pauleyc 23 Mar 2010 12:55:37 4,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I see it as rather simple segmentation:

High-end: Desire. Larger screen, higher resolution, fast processor.
    Mid-range: Legend. Successor to Hero. Normal screen, standard resolution, slower processor.

Not released so far: Supersonic (HD2 Android equivalent, supposed to be high-end), Incredible (a secondary tier to high end; might be considered the real mid-range but no way I'm relegating my beloved Hero to the low end of the spectrum!).

@tt: I have a feeling someone at HTC is a fan of Barney from HIMYM. :-)
  • frugtkompot 23 Mar 2010 12:59:39 2,817 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, the Hero isn't at the low end. That'd be something like the Tattoo or Magic. I reckon both Legend and Hero are in the medium range, and ironically these are still superior to what most other mobile companies release nowadays (thinking of Sony, Nokia, Samsung and the likes - not Apple).

What's most puzzling about "categorizing" HTC's phones like that is that Legend and Desire will cost almost the same (at least here in Denmark).

• terminalterror 23 Mar 2010 13:05:00 18,937 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    frugtkompot wrote:
    What's most puzzling about "categorizing" HTC's phones like that is that Legend and Desire will cost almost the same (at least here in Denmark).

They are being quite cunning with the Legend and the Desire. The Desire obviously has the superior specs in almost every respect, and so would normally be clearly the superior phone, but the Legend is clearly more physically desirable. So whilst you are getting a lower spec with the Legend, you aren't as clearly getting an inferior phone.
  • terminalterror 23 Mar 2010 13:05:08 18,937 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    pauleyc wrote:

:D
  • Zerobob 23 Mar 2010 13:07:48 1,602 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    pauleyc wrote:
    I see it as rather simple segmentation:

High-end: Desire. Larger screen, higher resolution, fast processor.
    Mid-range: Legend. Successor to Hero. Normal screen, standard resolution, slower processor.

Not released so far: Supersonic (HD2 Android equivalent, supposed to be high-end), Incredible (a secondary tier to high end; might be considered the real mid-range but no way I'm relegating my beloved Hero to the low end of the spectrum!).

As a Hero owner what do you find so good about them by the way? A few of my mates bang on about their all the time, but after having a go on one for quite a while I found the handling of the web and things such as google maps is substantially slower and less responsive than on an iPhone and the interface is clunkier, and the Hero just seemed comparable to any other iPhone-imitation-type interface.

I also didn't find one original application/function on the phone...it may as well have been a Samsung Tocco.

I hate to compare it to the iPhone, as I don't buy Apple products and I realise the iPhone is rather expensive, but the iPhone still seems to set the benchmark for sheer speed and responsiveness of the interface, which counts for everything.

Basically I was highly disappointed after the amount of hype I'd heard about the Hero. I'm in the market for a new phone soon though and was looking at the Legend / Desire, but I'm genuinely after some consumer advice as I'd rather pay less and get the Hero if it's decent.
  • rutter 23 Mar 2010 13:19:54 1,919 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    pauleyc wrote:
    I think the Desire might indeed be a better choice since the HD2 won't get any update toWM7 AFAIK - of course, nothing is known about the possible upgrade paths to future versions of Android but that's still a better answer than "no". :-)

As for your questions:
    1. Not to my knowledge; lots of widgets to display calendar/agenda info on the home screen but you'd still have to slide the lock screen at least partially down to view it.
    2. Yes, however you can group apps into folders only on the home screens; 7 screens are offered by the HTC Sense UI. Certain apps offer also the creation of live folders with special pre-defined content - starred contacts, bookmarks, notes etc. The app drawer shows by default all installed programs.

Thanks for the reply. Yep, looks like flyscreen can do what I want for Q1. I really would struggle to manage without appointments/reminders viewable on my lock screen.
    2 doesn't bother me too much. It would be lovely to categorise apps on the app screen though. Maybe in a later release, eh?

I was all set on the HD2 (I still prefer it in terms of hardware) but the whole WM7 upgrade debacle has put me right off. From what I've read it's fairly certain it'll never see WP7 on it. Shame. Mind you, the more I read about WP7 the more gimped it seems to be getting. And, I didn't fancy being stuck on WM6.5.3 as an abandoned platform by developers.

Anyone know how easy it is to unlock Android devices for different operator sims? I'm looking at getting the desire from T-mobile, but I'm with o2 at the mo. It'd be cheaper for me to let my o2 contract run another 2 months than pay it off early. But I'm loathed to carry 2 phones around for 2 months like some kind of div!
  • Page

of 158 First / Last

Previous