Halo 3 Age Rating

  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

    Previous
  • scoobysi 2 Feb 2010 12:45:12 1,028 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hi

    Quick question on Halo 3, I see that it's a 15 but does it deserve that rating, any blood/gore or swearing? Reason I ask is that some of my son's friends (who are not yet 15) play this and obviously he would like to join in but at the moment I've said no.

    Is the violence mostly alien/fantasy type stuff or is it a bit more realistic along the lines of Modern Warfare 2? The videos I'm seen so far seem to be alien/fantasy type stuff.

    Age Ratings seem a bit of a lottery, Quantum of Solace is a 12, one of the Hockey games is a 16+, makes it difficult to make a judgement.

    Cheers
    Si
  • Jazzy_Geoff 2 Feb 2010 12:46:11 7,782 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    inb4 moralising pricks
  • Deleted user 2 February 2010 12:47:09
    Personally, I wouldn't say Halo 3 deserves a 15 rating at all, but I've never finished it so there could be some stuff I've not seen that would warrant the rating.
  • RedSparrows 2 Feb 2010 12:47:11 24,205 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alien/fantasy violence. It's sometimes nasty in places, but most of the time it's tame compared to most other shooters.

    Online you'll get swearing and nasty people at points, so the age rating's more relevant there.
  • M83J01P97 2 Feb 2010 12:48:43 6,710 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Your son has seen worse on the Internet/friends mobile phones. I guarantee it.
  • BabyJesus 2 Feb 2010 12:49:54 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Its mostly pretty tame to be honest, it's nothing compared to something like MW2 etc.

    As Redsparrows said though, they are alot of idiots on Xbox live though.

  • scoobysi 2 Feb 2010 12:51:54 1,028 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Alien/fantasy violence. It's sometimes nasty in places, but most of the time it's tame compared to most other shooters.

    Online you'll get swearing and nasty people at points, so the age rating's more relevant there.

    Thanks, if his chat is limited to his friends only (via dashboard), will he still hear chat from other players but presumably won't be able to talk to them? New to XBOX so not up to speed on how all the chat options/restictions work yet.
  • BabyJesus 2 Feb 2010 12:52:58 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If it's limited to his friends list from the dashboard I'm pretty sure everyone else is muted out.
  • scoobysi 2 Feb 2010 12:53:50 1,028 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Your son has seen worse on the Internet/friends mobile phones. I guarantee it.

    Obviously but that wasn't my question.
  • Petrarch 2 Feb 2010 12:54:28 3,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If it's set to friends only, you can only hear and respond to people on your list. It's worth doing that just to get some peace and quiet.
  • phAge 2 Feb 2010 12:56:39 24,442 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It has a few "dark" moments, but nothing overly graphical. I'd certainly have no qualms letting my (hypothetical) 14 year-old play it.
  • scoobysi 2 Feb 2010 12:57:11 1,028 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks, BabyJesus & Petrarch, I thought that was probably the case re friends.
  • nickthegun 2 Feb 2010 12:58:30 61,299 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    inb4 moralising pricks

    inb4 rain on ur wedding day

    Also, fwiw, if Halo 3 were a film, it would probably be a 12. Certainly the pencil scene in The Dark Knight, for example, is worse than almost anything in Halo and thats a 12.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

  • Onny 2 Feb 2010 13:00:24 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The worst violence you'll see in Halo is the occasional marine getting beaten up by apes, and some bloodsplatters on the scenery here and there. There are (very) mild horror themes a bit later, but nothing especially scary. If you want to check, look on youtube for "Halo 3 The Flood playthrough" and "Halo 3 Cortana playthrough".
  • mcmonkeyplc 2 Feb 2010 13:04:28 39,567 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cortana on H3 could scare a child minds. It's scared my mind!

    O_0

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • catterz 2 Feb 2010 13:16:46 8,763 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    scoobysi wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Alien/fantasy violence. It's sometimes nasty in places, but most of the time it's tame compared to most other shooters.

    Online you'll get swearing and nasty people at points, so the age rating's more relevant there.

    Thanks, if his chat is limited to his friends only (via dashboard), will he still hear chat from other players but presumably won't be able to talk to them? New to XBOX so not up to speed on how all the chat options/restictions work yet.
    Just so you know, online experiences are not rated in games. The 15 rating is based on the single player part only.

    Still stalking this place, old-school style (UID: 1053)

  • Yossarian 2 Feb 2010 13:21:30 8,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Absolutely tamer than Modern Warfare 2, by some distance in fact. There is violence and blood, but most of it is alien blood, and there is no graphic violence. No swearing that I remember, and no sexual or otherwise adult content. Any normal, well-adjusted 14 year-old will be fine playing it, provided they aren't going to be obsessively playing it night after night.

    But then again, much of America's youth is playing it night after night, and they'll still probably turn out okay in a few years, even if they're not very likeable right now.
  • Yossarian 2 Feb 2010 13:21:56 8,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also it's a better game than MW2, so you'll be doing your kid a favour.
  • Duffking 2 Feb 2010 13:25:50 7,555 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jack Thompson said it's HYPERVIOLENT.

    So there.
  • BabyJesus 2 Feb 2010 13:39:20 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought Jack Thompson only had a hard on for Rockstars games.
  • Spin_Dr_Wolf 2 Feb 2010 13:40:47 6,170 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yossarian wrote:
    Absolutely tamer than Modern Warfare 2, by some distance in fact. There is violence and blood, but most of it is alien blood, and there is no graphic violence. No swearing that I remember, and no sexual or otherwise adult content. Any normal, well-adjusted 14 year-old will be fine playing it, provided they aren't going to be obsessively playing it night after night.

    But then again, much of America's youth is playing it night after night, and they'll still probably turn out okay in a few years, even if they're not very likeable right now.
    Don't think they should be doing that with any game imho.
  • scoobysi 2 Feb 2010 14:12:57 1,028 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    If you want to check, look on youtube for "Halo 3 The Flood playthrough" and "Halo 3 Cortana playthrough".

    Thanks, I'll take a look at those.

    Thanks for the info everyone.
  • Doomspoon 2 Feb 2010 14:17:34 2,513 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The PEGI ratings seem a bit off, as you mention with regards to one of the hockey games this probably got a 16+ because of the violence and odd bit of minor bloodshed, nothing that a normal ice hockey or rugby match wouldn't provide.

    Halo 3 has a BBFC 15 rating but has been well established here there's a lot worse in BBFC 12 films.

    How about playing a split screen co-op game with your son so you can decide what you think of it?
  • Whizzo 2 Feb 2010 14:21:55 43,352 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Probably the weirdest disconnect between PEGI and BBFC ratings is Mass Effect, it's a PEGI 18+ and a BBFC 12.

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • SixFootHalfling 2 Feb 2010 14:40:56 205 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Probably the weirdest disconnect between PEGI and BBFC ratings is Mass Effect, it's a PEGI 18+ and a BBFC 12.

    Yeah but that was because of the "sex" scene, which was essentially a fade to black.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2010 14:42:54
    I'm suprised it's a 15, it's really quite tame in it's content. It's about the same level of violence as Star Wars which is a U I believe.
  • RedSparrows 2 Feb 2010 14:43:08 24,205 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yossarian wrote:
    Any normal, well-adjusted 14 year-old will be fine playing it, provided they aren't going to be obsessively playing it night after night.


    That's me out then :(
  • MaddDogg666 3 Feb 2010 15:29:19 37 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    scoobysi wrote:
    Hi

    Quick question on Halo 3, I see that it's a 15 but does it deserve that rating, any blood/gore or swearing? Reason I ask is that some of my son's friends (who are not yet 15) play this and obviously he would like to join in but at the moment I've said no.

    Is the violence mostly alien/fantasy type stuff or is it a bit more realistic along the lines of Modern Warfare 2? The videos I'm seen so far seem to be alien/fantasy type stuff.

    Age Ratings seem a bit of a lottery, Quantum of Solace is a 12, one of the Hockey games is a 16+, makes it difficult to make a judgement.

    Cheers
    Si

    Please do not let your child play this game!

    I Ďam sick to death of playing with idiotic children online who ruin the Xbox Live experience for everyone else. For sake of everyone who plays Halo 3 regularly, do not let your child play until they are of the age of the recommended age rating. It would be irresponsible as a parent to allow him to play, unless you would like him to become racist and discourteous like every other child that plays Halo 3.

    He may even resort to DOS attacking and hacking Xbox accounts like every other child who cannot win once they reach a particular rank.
  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply