What do you pay for cinema tickets?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Goban 1 Feb 2010 21:44:54 9,107 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm doing a bit of research with my customers and I just thought I would throw the EG collective the same question.

Would you go to the cinema more often if it was cheaper?

How much do you currently pay?

Cheers
  • phAge 1 Feb 2010 21:45:57 24,442 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    85 DKR - around 10 quid. I'd defo go more if it was cheaper.
  • BillMurray 1 Feb 2010 21:48:38 7,909 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think I pay nearly 7. Would definitely go more often if it was cheaper.
  • coastal 1 Feb 2010 21:49:06 5,390 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    About 8-9 i think at the Odeon. Would pay more to ban popcorn. Definitely would go if cheaper. I just back on with Orange Wednesdays and always on my mind now to check the listings every week.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Carlo 1 Feb 2010 21:50:17 18,223 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The price of the ticket actually has nothing to do with if I go or not.

Hope that helps.

PSN ID: Djini

• Errol 1 Feb 2010 21:50:35 12,557 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I tend to pay around 2.4 billion USD. Sometimes more.
  • caligari 1 Feb 2010 21:53:10 17,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nothing - I haven't been to the cinema for yeeeears.

I have a 20 Vue gift card in my wallet - it's been there for about 3 years now. Does anyone have any idea if it'll even still be valid, as I can't see any kind of 'use by' date?

I also paid 30 last January to become a member at my local 'Picturehouse', Cinema City. I had three free screenings that I could have used within the first year - and I just never got around to it. ;_;
  • localnotail 1 Feb 2010 21:54:42 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    In Birmingham:
    4 - 4.30 before 6, 5.75- 6.10 after 6
    6.50 in the standard seats at the Electric (independent), 12 on the sofas.

I would go more often if it was a fiver in the evenings.

edits: Odeon is 5.50 and 6.50, but I don't go there.

How well did Avatar go btw?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• corimi 1 Feb 2010 21:54:43 1,311 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    About 7 here as well, though often get stung by Vue's charge-a-whack-extra-for-fuck-all Gold showings. Cheaper matinees are a good idea, and I'd definitely go a lot more if my local cinema had a X a month for unlimited cinema deals running. Used to have one for Cineworld but canned it after they wouldn't let you book seats over the phone or online.
  • oceanmotion 1 Feb 2010 21:55:23 16,126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think I paid about 7 quid last time I went though I usually go for Orange Wednesdays when I get the chance which is half price with two of us. Only reason I have a Orange sim card and I don't get pissed off if the film is shit.

If you could get two tickets for a tenner or under I would go more often.
  • lost_soul 1 Feb 2010 21:55:42 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    €6.50 on Tuesday nights, and up to €9 the rest of the week.
  • Dougs 1 Feb 2010 21:57:25 69,513 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Have paid 12-13 quid in London but here 6-7 is about right. Cheap weekend matinees and a monthly pass would be good too. If my cinema wasn't 25 mins away.

/is lazy
  • lost_soul 1 Feb 2010 21:59:43 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I remember paying 10+ to see films in Leicester Square. No idea why we used to go there - none of us lived in London and we often had to leave before the end of a film to get the last train home :-/
  • Khanivor 1 Feb 2010 22:01:00 41,261 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cinema is usually around $9. Matinees go for $7. Parking is always free. I find the price is reasonable and I don't think a drop of a dollar or two would make much of a difference, as the major obstacle to me going to the movies is getting off my arse and going out of the house.

Saying that, these last few years I've gone to the cinema an awful lot more than I did when living in the UK. Not sure why, maybe because there have been more movies I want to see on the big screen, maybe the small price difference, maybe because the screens here aren't the size of postage stamps or maybe, I think this is it, the cinema is not seen as a place to have conversations in.
  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 1 Feb 2010 22:03:56 14,034 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seven or eight euros. Probably wouldn't go more often even if it was free. It's nice, but I only go to the cinema if they are showing movies I really want to watch and when they are worth watching on a big screen, good sound system while sitting in the most uncomfortable seats on earth.
    Why can't cinemas have good seats?
  • Goban 1 Feb 2010 22:04:22 9,107 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    The price of the ticket actually has nothing to do with if I go or not.

Hope that helps.
    That's pretty much my feeling about it.

People moan a lot about the price of the tickets bit I'm really not that convinced it makes much difference, within reason.
  • Goban 1 Feb 2010 22:12:57 9,107 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Alight, nothing spectacular.

According to Fox 80% of tickets sold are in 3D which is spectacular considering just over 10% of screens in the uk are 3D.

This does not help us little guys :(
  • Khanivor 1 Feb 2010 22:14:17 41,261 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Syrok wrote:
    Seven or eight euros. Probably wouldn't go more often even if it was free. It's nice, but I only go to the cinema if they are showing movies I really want to watch and when they are worth watching on a big screen, good sound system while sitting in the most uncomfortable seats on earth.
    Why can't cinemas have good seats?

We have a lovely new cinema here in town with top of the line everything, including seats which permit your bum to make it 4/5ths of the way through Avatar before it starts complaining. It's all LEED certified, which means it's very green, first one of its kind in the nation, if I'm not mistaken. Seems like it costs a bit of money to build, as the large coke and popcorn combo costs the same, at $13.50, as buying a large coke and large popcorn separately.
  • Khanivor 1 Feb 2010 22:16:34 41,261 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    localnotail wrote:
    Alight, nothing spectacular.

According to Fox 80% of tickets sold are in 3D which is spectacular considering just over 10% of screens in the uk are 3D.

This does not help us little guys :(

I've been curious about this 80% number as when the movie first came out it was reported as a lot, lot less than that. I can understand that non-US ticket sales would then come into effect but I'd be amazed if there was a higher proportion of 3D screens in the foreign market than in the US.

I think some figure massaging is going on to push 3D even harder.
  • Goban 1 Feb 2010 22:18:54 9,107 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's definitely 80% or thereby in the UK, couldn't comment on anywhere else.

It also started off 'relatively' slowly in 3D and has been gaining momentum ever since.
  • localnotail 1 Feb 2010 22:20:34 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh arse, I'd hoped it would be a good seller for you. Mind you, I suppose blue people are nothing new in Scotland.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Goban 1 Feb 2010 22:22:54 9,107 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sherlock was our best performer over the festive period.
  • Khanivor 1 Feb 2010 22:26:24 41,261 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    It's definitely 80% or thereby in the UK, couldn't comment on anywhere else.

It also started off 'relatively' slowly in 3D and has been gaining momentum ever since.

Seems I might have been misremembering; just under 60% of gross on opening, upto 80% last weekend. Anyway, don't mean to derail!
  • JohnnyWashnGo 1 Feb 2010 22:32:15 1,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Too bloody much ; )

But usually around 7
  • coojam 1 Feb 2010 22:33:10 625 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ticket price doesn't currently affect my decision on whether to go to a cinema or not. It's more the quality of the theatre itself (picture, audio and seating), the kind of people who frequent it and the locality. Free parking certainly comes into the equation too. That said, if tickets were over 10, then I would think twice.

I last saw Avatar which I paid 8+ for and did comment on the fact that I remember going to the cinema and it cost me 3.50, not so long ago (though when I was still a student!). I have no issue paying more for seeing a 3D film. Normally films are 6.50 I think?

Something that does get me going to the cinema more often are Orange Wednesdays. When it's bogof, a friend and I take it in turns to pay, simply because we enjoy the experience of going to the cinema, often regardless of how much we actually want to see the film.
  • secombe 1 Feb 2010 23:06:00 1,332 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    √Ç£8 or thereabouts in Bath, would love Odeon to do an annual pass, even though it's a 16 mile drive I would be there once a week without question. £6 a pop would probably be the tipping point for me attending a lot more...as it is, Blockbusters 4 for a tenner rental deal is far mire appealing of a weekend.

Saying that, leg room currently stops me going more often, for a new expensive cinema the standard of seating makes Ryanair look generous, appalling re
  • millerlfc 1 Feb 2010 23:20:12 388 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Only ever go on Orange Wednesdays so a 7.50 - 8.50 ticket becomes about 4.
  • Deleted user 1 February 2010 23:28:55
    7 for a decent cinema but more if it's a great cinema, nice atmosphere and service by people that don't look like they wish they were working in Tesco. Not giving the start time of 30 minutes before then showing adverts all through that time would also help.
  • mrpon 1 Feb 2010 23:31:06 29,568 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    £7 plus £2 parking. Include the parking in the price and I'd go more ofte

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous