Do the movies on 360 Marketplace have subtitles?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • phAge 29 Jan 2010 19:26:37 24,349 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well - do they? Thinking about renting Inglorious Basterds, but the missus likes her English subtitles.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2010 19:28:35
    As half the film is in another language she'll definitely be covered for most of it.
  • Anthony_UK 29 Jan 2010 19:29:06 2,484 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nope, non of them as far as I can see. I always check the new releases just incase, as my girlfriend struggles to watch anything without them.
  • ecureuil 29 Jan 2010 19:32:35 76,736 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So you both have girlfriends that like to watch movies with subtitles on? Hmm..
  • TheStylishHobo 29 Jan 2010 19:36:41 3,185 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The subtitles for the foreign language parts are subtitled in any English version of the movie as part of the original image. Does she seriously want subtitles for the English parts?
  • Nanocrystal 29 Jan 2010 19:37:53 1,013 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Make that three, although English is my wife's second language. To be honest, though, I prefer having subtitles too now. All too often dialogue in movies is mumbled or too low in the mix, not to mention accents and slang (I don't think I could have got through The Wire without subs).
  • Deleted user 29 January 2010 19:40:55
    Someone I know once queried why they don't do subtitles for blind people.
  • phAge 29 Jan 2010 20:34:17 24,349 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheStylishHobo wrote:
    The subtitles for the foreign language parts are subtitled in any English version of the movie as part of the original image. Does she seriously want subtitles for the English parts?
    Well, English *is* her second language, and although she caught that Susanne Bier-flick in London last year without any trouble, she prefers it when English films are subbed. As do I, if I'm honest - it's just more relaxing that way.
  • ecureuil 29 Jan 2010 20:35:56 76,736 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I find it breaks the immersion a lot of the time. I always end up reading the entire line before it's been delivered, which is weird.
  • TheStylishHobo 29 Jan 2010 20:38:19 3,185 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Well, English *is* her second language

Could have mentioned that... :]
  • BEAR-ONE 8 Feb 2010 16:33:46 77 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm half brit, but living in France. I get quite angry with Marketplace for not carrying original language movies (ie. English). We only get access to the French version.
    I'd prefer sticking chopsticks in each ear until they poke out the other side than watch movies dubbed in French...
    And silly Microsoft are thus missing out on the dosh I'm ready to spend to watch Marketplace movies...
  • LeD 8 Feb 2010 16:37:43 6,255 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BEAR ONE wrote:
    I'm half brit, but living in France. I get quite angry with Marketplace for not carrying original language movies (ie. English). We only get access to the French version.
    I'd prefer sticking chopsticks in each ear until they poke out the other side than watch movies dubbed in French...
    And silly Microsoft are thus missing out on the dosh I'm ready to spend to watch Marketplace movies...

PSN is just as bad, unfortunately.
  • DeltaBravoNiner 11 Feb 2010 08:21:38 631 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Subtitles for me just take the focus away from the film, especially when there is dialogue in an action scene for example... "Woah - Did you see that guys head explode...?!?". "No mate, I was too busy reading 'Get Down!' from the Subtitles!"

I can obviously see why certain individuals would prefer it but I certainly wouldn't choose to have subtitles on if I didn't need them.

If the dialogue is too mumbled or too quiet, you just don't have the surround sound on loud enough! :)
  • morriss 11 Feb 2010 08:24:29 70,947 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Subtitles are for intellectuals only.
  • Deleted user 11 February 2010 08:39:38
    I think only iTunes rentals do this, and even then only a tiny fraction, I guess it is the studios being lame.

For example:

http://i49.tinypic.com/2nrohs4.png

See the 'cc' logo by Rocky and Black Rain? cc = closed captions
  • bigshot316 11 Feb 2010 08:43:38 23,682 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why do they sometimes have a signer in the bottom corner of early morning music channels?
  • Zerobob 11 Feb 2010 08:49:12 1,605 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Really? Some people like to watch movies with subtitles on just in case they miss a word or two? Do you also read the lyrics in the album sleeve when listening to music too yeah?

I admit the speech in films seems to be getting quieter and quieter every year (compared to the SFX/music score), and a lot of actors seem to love whispering/mumbling their lines, but for me subtitles ruin the atmosphere of a film completely. They remind you that you are watching something rather than letting you get completely absorbed.

On a side note, do people agree the voice/speech track should be increased in volume (relative to the music/SFX) for the DVD release of movies, or the consumer should be given the option, just in case you don't want to/can't watch the movie at 100dB on a home theater system?
  • morriss 11 Feb 2010 08:57:06 70,947 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you're a foreigner wathcing an English film, then English subs can help. What's the debate?
  • Zerobob 11 Feb 2010 09:00:01 1,605 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The debate is English-speaking people watching films with English subtitles, but each to their own. It's not a debate.
  • woodnotes 11 Feb 2010 09:03:26 4,923 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It does annoy me that Hollywood struggles to make films these days without drowning out the speech with background noise and music score. Gran Torino is particularly bad. Nothing to do with being deaf either, just shite mixing.

I find turning up the centre speaking on my 5.1 helps.
  • mal 11 Feb 2010 09:03:47 22,473 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got used to watching with subtitles on after my freeview kept dropping out - the subtitles gave me a second chance to catch what was missed. Now I will put subtitles on if there is a lot of noise in the movie, though I don't bother with action films. I don't read them most of the time, but it's good that they're there and you can refer to them if you miss something.

That said, switching subtitles on on most DVDs is a bit of a faff so I don't bother very often.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 11 February 2010 10:02:00
    Zerobob wrote:
    The debate is English-speaking people watching films with English subtitles, but each to their own. It's not a debate.

ok
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next