Vanquish Page 40

• Page

of 41 First / Last

• octo 19 Aug 2011 12:52:06 979 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is one of the finest games of last year. I even enjoyed the end credits.
    In which you shoot asteroids with faces of the developers on
    Completely Japanese bonkers. And Sams mech suit is awesome. I love the gun switching animation. It's the little things, people.
  • senso-ji 19 Aug 2011 13:24:42 6,000 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Slurmseh wrote:
    I really wanna play this and Bayonetta again but finding a reasonably priced copy where I live is proving next to impossible!

Where do you live, Slurms? Amazon have it for 70% off
  • neilqpr 19 Aug 2011 13:40:40 2,863 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It clicked with me at the third attempt. I still don't thinks it's the best game ever like some people here, but it was very entertaining and was just about the right length.

As others have said, get the sliding/slo mo mechanic working for you and the game gets much more enjoyable.
  • SteveHolt 19 Aug 2011 14:23:12 425 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    HermitArcader wrote:
    The crucial thing would be to figure out how to make the slow down mechanic fit with co-op, perhaps the two players would share one single bar and would need to work together to make best use of it.

I admit it's me saying in a diplomatic and respectful way that I didn't really enjoy Vanquish, but:

why not simply get rid of slow motion+ARS management altogether? Vanquish at full speed moves about as fast as bayonetta on max difficulty or gaiden 2 on mentor difficulty, meaning that making sense of what happens would be challenging but manageable - no more ARS restrictions, but you can't slow down time any longer. You rebalance the AI a bit, give Sam an health meter, and bam, you have a stew going, and co-op wouldn't be a problem.
  • Slurmseh 19 Aug 2011 19:12:57 2,353 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Slurmseh wrote:
    I really wanna play this and Bayonetta again but finding a reasonably priced copy where I live is proving next to impossible!

Canada, eh!
  • Deleted user 19 August 2011 19:16:25
    Yeah I didn't play this to completion. Graphics are great though.
  • Vortex808 19 Aug 2011 19:41:42 7,463 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Slurmseh wrote:

For that price, I'm almost tempted to buy it again and try it on hard. It was an absolutely fantastic game!
  • Bombonera 11 Sep 2011 01:52:01 345 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Has anyone else on EG got 1000 points or the Platinum trophy in Vanquish? I finally got to 1000 earlier tonight. I don't think I'm the first EG user to have 1k'd it but I'm sure there aren't many. It's considered one of the hardest games to fully complete owing to the difficulty of the Tactical Challenges.
  • Utilero 11 Sep 2011 05:47:44 3 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah that challenge is quite hard. I have been trying to accomplish it the last couple of days. Vanquish is such a fantastic and refreshing game. It's a crying shame it did not sell better. I love it and will probably never trade it. Cheers.
  • brandon-flowers 12 Sep 2011 00:46:12 182 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got this last week & love it :)
    Have Just completed define chapter & Put the difficulty up from easy to hard.
    Have many of you played it on hard?
  • kinky_mong 12 Sep 2011 11:54:57 10,711 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bombonera wrote:
    Has anyone else on EG got 1000 points or the Platinum trophy in Vanquish? I finally got to 1000 earlier tonight. I don't think I'm the first EG user to have 1k'd it but I'm sure there aren't many. It's considered one of the hardest games to fully complete owing to the difficulty of the Tactical Challenges.

Jambi has got 1k. I've got 950 but took one look at those challenges and ran off with my tail between my legs.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• PenguinJim 26 Sep 2011 14:04:00 5,949 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just completed it too, what a fun game! I got through two acts before I realised there was a button for smoking a cigarette. I find this soooo much better than dull Gears of War, and the clean designs and art style piss all over it. In my opinion, of course. Despite it being wonderfully clichéd, some of the cut scenes were mildly surprising/shocking.

The only disappointments after the demo were the lack of larger-scale fighting zones - would've been nice to take on 40+ bad guys at once in a real "battlefield" - and the way you are so quickly given all the weapons. It could have used a nicer melee system as well, I suppose.

One of very few games which does game credits instead of lazy, boring movie credits, too.

It's cheap on Games on Demand now, apparently - 1600 points for US types, so I'd guess 2000 in the UK and 3800 in Australia?
    brandon-flowers wrote:
    Got this last week & love it :)
    Have Just completed [the final] chapter & Put the difficulty up from easy to hard.
    Have many of you played it on hard?
    I tried on hard for my first playthrough, got killed by the first robot, then got killed three times by the three robots after him. Restarted on normal :p pleasingly challenging on normal, apparently I died 50 times. I hope the gun upgrades carry over! (?)
  • Oh-Bollox 19 Oct 2011 14:16:06 5,366 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did this only get one piece of DLC?
  • KujiGhost 19 Oct 2011 15:50:34 382 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wasn't aware it had received any DLC!
  • Oh-Bollox 19 Oct 2011 16:05:03 5,366 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aye, a tri-weapon pack.
  • Feanor 19 Oct 2011 17:16:30 14,183 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And it was worth $2, especially if you got the game less than full price.
  • RelaxedMikki 19 Oct 2011 17:28:17 937 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I played on Hard first time through. Wasn't too bad.

Tried some 'God Hard' last night. Phew. That is tricky. Managed about -17,000 points on the first Act. That's minus 17,000!

Still a great game.
  • Deleted user 19 October 2011 18:08:29
    Its not DLC, its an payed unlock key for those annoying Gamestop pre-order exclusives.

I was foolish enough to buy it and felt dirty afterwards.

But yeah, amazing game, need to play it on God Hard soon as I master the challenges (*FFXha ha ha ha ha*) - can't wait to see what the team get up to at its new studio Tango Gameworks.
  • jambii267 19 Oct 2011 18:18:44 1,368 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tango dreamworks? I thought that was Mikami's new studio, nothing to do with Platinum.

Platinum are currently developing Anarchy reigns, which looks tasty.

NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

• Deleted user 19 October 2011 18:21:19
    Yeah I can't wait for that game early next year. But there are/were several teams at Platinum although I've not seen the exact staff count anymore to know how many in total.

I don't know if the entire team went with him, but from the staff profiles on the official website, a number of key staff from Vanquish, and a few from Bayonetta and even Mad World formed Tango.

Keep pimping it as I recall how it took as while for Clover fans to realise Platinum Games was related so want to make sure as many people as possible know about this new company.
  • Trowel 2 Jan 2012 18:50:55 18,016 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Used the last 4 days wisely and finally got round to playing, and finishing, this. Due to time constraints it's not often that I replay games these days, but I probably will do with this just because it took me at least 3 Acts to get out of the mindset of holding back and slowly picking everyone off, like the standard cover shooter. Great fun.
  • matrim83 25 Feb 2012 13:43:19 5,597 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok so first playthrough. Normal or hard? Can you change difficulty mid game?

Valar morghulis.

• Lukus 25 Feb 2012 14:16:13 19,361 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't remember what I did it on, I suspect it may have been normal, but the first big boss is possibly the hardest in the game, given that you haven't had much practice with it at that point. Worth baring in mind.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 25 February 2012 14:28:41
    I don't think you can change it mid-game. I'd go with Normal to begin with as it's fairly tough going for the first couple of hours (until the controls click). It's short and decent enough to get another playthrough on Hard/Very Hard when you know the controls a bit better.

And yeah, the first proper boss is a royal pain in the arse!
  • matrim83 25 Feb 2012 14:33:16 5,597 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alright. Normal it is then, thanks. :)

Valar morghulis.

• Deleted user 25 February 2012 14:37:43
    Once you get to grips with boosting to cover and letting your boost cooldowns sorted you'll be mesmerised. It's a fantastic game, well worth playing agaon on a harder setting when you can do more outrageous stuff with your guy. Enjoy :)

Edited by Ironlungs76 at 14:38:53 25-02-2012
  • FuzzyDuck 29 Apr 2012 01:11:16 4,711 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Right then, thinking of finally doing the tactical challenges. Have the game since launch day, played through it a few times on various difficulties, love it :D

Got to (what i assume) is the last bit of the first challenge last night (the bit with the flying boss guy), he killed me with only a sliver of health left, grr. Bit rusty with the controls, but thinking i'm gonna tackle things proper here. How do the other challenges compare to the first one?
  • jambii267 29 Apr 2012 02:55:50 1,368 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They are all really hard, then Tactical Challenge 6 is bastard hard.

Get into the mindset of boost jumping, tap the boost button then do a jump, it's great as it lets you get away quickly and let's your temperature cool down. Use slow-mo for EVERY enemy, but don't overheat.

Good luck, you'll certainly need it.

NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

• FuzzyDuck 29 Apr 2012 03:39:18 4,711 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Haha, i've heard 6 is an utter bitch alright!

That's what i've been doing so far. I found with the first challenge, when i went into it, i could only defeat the first wave before i got creamed. But once i played it a few times and figured out what enemies spawn in what wave, i try to set myself up with the appropriate weapons and best position at the end of the previous wave.

Playing this back to back with Dark Souls, i'm in the mood for punishment, evidentially! :D
  • puddleduck 29 Apr 2012 07:20:25 1,854 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I remember playing the demo challenge mode they released, and getting to level 5 and it was just like 8 massive big robots lobbing huge missiles at me whilst I was crouched behind a wall unable to move :p
  • Page

of 41 First / Last