Vanquish Page 39

• Page

of 41 First / Last

• Deleted user 11 May 2011 23:14:57
    Every time this thread pops up I must shout out................

VANQUISH IS FUCKING AWESOME
  • eleven63 8 Jun 2011 18:10:35 1,604 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right as I'm out of games to play right now, I'm guessing from the reaction on here this is worth getting?

I did play the demo, and it did bother me that the boss (spider thing) was er tough, tried about 5 times - I'm pretty good a sticking with games if the promise of more is there, you just have to know how the game 'plays' etc - is this the case with Vanquish?

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Trafford 8 Jun 2011 19:02:08 5,807 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had a play on this again, I'd forgotten how good the cut scenes were, epic stuff.
    And those Argos Cores( spider thing) go down really easy after a while.
  • Accordi0n 8 Jun 2011 20:51:05 1,075 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    eleven63 wrote:
    Right as I'm out of games to play right now, I'm guessing from the reaction on here this is worth getting?

I did play the demo, and it did bother me that the boss (spider thing) was er tough, tried about 5 times - I'm pretty good a sticking with games if the promise of more is there, you just have to know how the game 'plays' etc - is this the case with Vanquish?

Its the best third person shooter ever. Really.

The bosses are tough at first, but they come up again with variations and the fun is learning from them and then utilizing your powers to play with them.

Your first playthrough will be punishing, but at the same time a real thrill ride rush, learn to push the suit to its limits and by the second playthrough you are a god.

Now i want to play it again…
  • mad_caddy 30 Jun 2011 11:39:15 3,306 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    picked this up for £15 and I've loved every single second of it, rammed full of style and loads of character.

One of the finest games I've played for a while and came as a very welcome effort after playing through LA noire and not enjoying it.
  • Red_Bool 30 Jun 2011 12:18:53 1,173 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm a bit ashamed to say that I still haven't opened this... I got it in a 2 for 25 euro deal (this and Blur), but somehow I can't seem to get to opening the box and play it (Blur, Borderlands and BFBC2 take up all my limited spare time). Reading Accordi0ns post I really want to play it now (must.be.strong.this.evening...) :-)
  • Deleted user 30 June 2011 12:30:00
    Gotta say it everytime this thread pops up

Vanquish is fucking Awesome
  • Oh-Bollox 30 Jun 2011 12:33:16 5,274 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vanquish is fucking good. One of the very few games this gen that isn't padded with filler. It's length is perfect, and as soon as I finished it I wanted to jump into it again.
  • neilqpr 30 Jun 2011 12:35:40 2,855 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Twice I've tried to get into this game and twice I've failed after the first few levels. Just didn't click for me. Maybe I'll give it one last blast during the summer drought.
  • Sonic_D 30 Jun 2011 12:53:22 126 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I add my voice to the Vanquish is awesome brigade.
  • Oh-Bollox 30 Jun 2011 13:20:19 5,274 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Must also say, the demo failed to click with me. I was looking forward to it, tried it for about an hour, and just became more and more frustrated. I didn't understand what the game was, and tried to play it like a bog-standard cover shooter.
  • krushing 30 Jun 2011 13:35:21 777 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm still to finish this. A bit undecided whether I like it or not - I appreciate the mechanics, but maybe I just suck at actually utilizing them to their fullest.
  • Vortex808 30 Jun 2011 20:48:54 7,211 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    espibara wrote:

My first run through of the demo was 'WTF?' I just couldn't cope with it to begin with, but after a few attempts I was totally sold.

It is quite simply one of my favourite games EVER, and it got me to try Bayonetta too. Which is also up there.

It is a crime that it didn't sell a shitload of copies. Not sure if the demo lost it a few for people who didn't try it again, or just didn't click with it.

I implore anyone who has not played this to play through it again, even if you have to lower the difficulty. It is just pure brilliance all the way through. Even the end credits made me laugh and gave you something to do.
  • Tuffty 30 Jun 2011 23:57:56 1,605 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fucking hell it's a wonderful game. It's a shame that the story does absolutely nothing for me. But fuck it, having lots of fun trying to get better times on the Challenges, and I'm gonna try Hard/God Hard as well and hopefully get 1000G's on this.
  • Red_Bool 1 Jul 2011 10:59:12 1,173 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow, this game is intense! Played it until the first boss (the purple suit guy) and loving it. Still getting used to the controls though: there's all sorts of moves I want to try, but can't pull them off yet :-)
  • Deleted user 1 July 2011 11:14:11
    espibara wrote:

^
    This

Hope you enjoy it Red_Bool it's batshit crazy at points and there's hardly a minute of it with any boredom factor it's pretty much a straight out and out shooter from start to finish. With added chain smoking.
  • Deleted user 1 July 2011 12:12:55
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    espibara wrote:

^
    This

Hope you enjoy it Red_Bool it's batshit crazy at points and there's hardly a minute of it with any boredom factor it's pretty much a straight out and out shooter from start to finish. With added chain smoking.

Nothing like hiding whilst the world is going to shit and having a crafty fag.

One thing I love about Vanquish is teh scale of some of teh levels and how some of them are not linear in terms of their geography e.g. Love the assault up the industrial Hill level and also the bombed bridge workin your way up it.
  • staal2005 5 Jul 2011 21:01:44 63 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got this on the cheap, but damn it is a damn fine game. I've just met red sphere + loose bodyparts (I believe in act 3-6) enemy and was at first unsure how to beat the damn thing. When I started to fight and dance (using the moves) I got him and it felt very satisfying.
  • Deleted user 4 August 2011 15:07:23
    Vanquish is fucking awesome

Bye.....
  • RedSparrows 18 Aug 2011 20:12:03 22,882 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got this off Lexx, very kind of him.

Have to say I am not enjoying it as much as I hoped. It's pretty cool looking but I can't help but feel I am missing something with the combat - scoring is there, but it seems only to be affected by kills (no multi kills?) at a flate rate (I think...) and time etc. Am I expecting something that isn't there (i.e. style bonuses, chain-killing etc)? Otherwise it's a good cover shooter but I'm not that excited about it.

Still, only on 2-2, and playing on normal, so maybe I am making it too easy for myself?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 18 Aug 2011 20:25:14 25,942 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you're playing it as a cover shooter, you're playing it wrong.

ROCKET SLIDES!!
  • 1Dgaf 18 Aug 2011 20:26:40 3,852 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've played the demo twice, months apart now and still can't get into this game. The first time I felt it was a third-person shooter + Viewtiful Joe + pinball; it was all this crazy movement, but just on one plane. Yet his acrobatics suggest he should be able to jump between levels.

What is it about this that grabs all of you? I'm asking because I'd like to be convinced.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• Duffking 18 Aug 2011 20:27:30 7,269 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the only time I bothered with cover in this was when I was reloading :D
  • RedSparrows 18 Aug 2011 20:41:46 22,882 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm sliding, slow-moing and flipping all over the shop, and I'm still not feeling it that much. It's not bad by any means, obv.

• Deleted user 18 August 2011 21:53:24
    @1Dgaf Imagine an alternative future where shoot em ups didn't die out or pander to otaku, where developers like Treasure weren't forced to stand still and relive past glories to survive.

Vanquish is that contemporary take on the shoot em up with developers involved in P.N.O.3, Resident Evil 4 and God Hand all of whose influence can be seen in the game. One that also finds time to piss on the cover shooter from a great height with bit a shit eating grin on its face whilst giving Kojima Productions the finger.

Love. This. Game.
  • mal 18 Aug 2011 22:39:42 22,605 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Amazon finnaly delivered this to me earlier in the week after I ordered it months ago cheap and forgot about it. Not played it yet, but looking forward to it.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Slurmseh 19 Aug 2011 06:30:51 2,340 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really wanna play this and Bayonetta again but finding a reasonably priced copy where I live is proving next to impossible!
  • krushing 19 Aug 2011 09:15:49 777 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmm, I still haven't finished this.
  • Sonic_D 19 Aug 2011 11:49:34 126 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just to reiterate, this is the best 3rd person shooter ever.

Now I realise part of the allure is the single player (& score chasing) aspect, but personally I think if it was done right a co-op mode in the sequel would make this game even better.
  • Deleted user 19 August 2011 12:32:54
    @Sonic D The team responsible is no longer at Platinum having signed a deal with Bethesda to form Tango Gameworks (took a number of key staff from Bayonetta and Madworld with them as well) but if the remaining people at the studio did develop a sequel, some form of co-op could be fun.

The crucial thing would be to figure out how to make the slow down mechanic fit with co-op, perhaps the two players would share one single bar and would need to work together to make best use of it.

Oh and if the second character had a Hollywood British accent and called Sam his brother that would be even better.

???: "Brother, its been too long."

Sam: "Brother? BROTHER!"
  • Page

of 41 First / Last