Vanquish Page 38

• Page

of 41 First / Last

• Accordi0n 13 Feb 2011 01:56:32 1,075 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Noob comment was a joke…mostly.

To me though, careful ARS management equals sliding and jumping around all guns blazing.
    The game is balanced so that knowing how to use the ARS means you can use the abilities whenever you want. When i play the game now there is never a moment im wishing i had more energy to spare, and never a moment when run out…that ARS meter fills up fast.

The exact same game without ARS management would have zero challenge.
  • SteveHolt 13 Feb 2011 09:57:02 425 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Accordi0n wrote:
    Noob comment was a joke…mostly.

To me though, careful ARS management equals sliding and jumping around all guns blazing.
    The game is balanced so that knowing how to use the ARS means you can use the abilities whenever you want. When i play the game now there is never a moment im wishing i had more energy to spare, and never a moment when run out…that ARS meter fills up fast.

The exact same game without ARS management would have zero challenge.

I'm sure that, in the process of balancing everything, they decided that ARS was the way to go.

But, as an example, since you never overheat your suit, that means you never get to use the melee attacks, unless you use them as a finisher on the last enemy standing, or unless you're stuck with the disk launcher. The other option - a one hit kill somersault kick while sliding, then LT while airborne for a couple slow mo kills on the weakest enemies isn't worth the trouble, since you can easily get those 3 kills without overheating the suit.

I thought they were gonna be valuable tools against bigger enemies, but the shotgun is so much better vs romanovs that you don't even need to use bullet time; and the upgraded machine gun is better in bossfights and they don't do anything special against argos. It's a risk vs reward move that doesn't pay off, unless they re-balanced everything in god hard mode.

That's one of the reasons why I'm not a big fan of the system they came up with - I have all those fantastic melee attacks which are very fun to use, but I realize I have to decide against using them because of the almighty ARS management. As a ninja gaiden / DMC / bayonetta vet, my gut reaction to that is: "fuck the suit", and my final analysis is that Platinum chose ARS management over my idea of fun.
  • DiamondIce 13 Feb 2011 14:18:26 1,185 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The element of the ARS that annoyed me was the overheating when you boost and then melee. I don't mind watching for overheating when in slow-mo and zooming around but it would have been nice to get away with maybe two melees before overheating.

FLOPS! RAM!

• Eraysor 13 Feb 2011 14:45:01 230 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished it yesterday; great game but I'm really glad I didn't pay full price for it. It's far too short.
  • Accordi0n 13 Feb 2011 22:02:26 1,075 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Third
    Person
    Shooter

Melee IS for finishing, or using the special abilities. HMG melee is in use quite often
    Im glad they are so limited, this is a shooting game…melee in most other shooters is primarily something to spam when things go wrong, not the case with Vanquish.

Im still confused how having two demos available it is possible to misunderstand the game…
  • FuzzyDuck 13 Feb 2011 22:32:08 3,989 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just finished my first playthrough there - awesome sauce. Tempted to throw it into hard mode and just launch back into it.

I think how you use and manage the meter is what gives the game its learning curve - i knew straight from the original demo that grasping this mechanic is what would give me the most fun and skill out of the game, and once it "clicked" with me how to manage it properly, crikey, carnage broke out on all robotic hienies.
  • ThemisB 15 Feb 2011 14:32:29 2,782 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ugh, Challenge 6 is driving me mad. Some of the others are tough (1 and 4 in particular) but this one is insane. I looked up some strategies and found this vid of a guy doing it in less than 5 mins!

It doesn't look like that when I'm playing.
  • KujiGhost 15 Feb 2011 14:54:51 382 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sweet Lord, who is that guy?!
  • nickthegun 15 Feb 2011 15:06:02 59,312 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was a bit of a failure in several respects. You can finish it by playing it like gears, without using the arse at all.

And, yeah, there is a tutorial mode but some of the advanced stuff really needs to be shown to you.

I finished medium with probably less than 20 deaths but when the credits rolled, I didn't feel like I had ever really played it properly, like they intended you to.

I hardly used the emp grenade, I never used the emp gun, I didn't know the saw gun had a special melée until I read this thread and a load of other stuff I wish I had known about on my first play through.

And, yeah, I wish melée didn't cost the full bar (maybe half?) because the game just *begs* you to slide up to someone and punch them in the robotic balls. It's not like tue attack is even that powerful.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Collymilad 16 Feb 2011 05:12:13 1,266 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just finished this in 2 sessions (got it on rental yesterday)

Was a great game but not sure if i'm going to go for hard. Might have a go in a day or two but atm I feel totally burnt out on it (totally my own fault, I know)

Have Bayonetta sitting there too. Might wait a bit to play that, go for something more mellow :p
  • Sonic_D 18 Feb 2011 02:55:28 126 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have really enjoyed this game, playing through on Hard at the mo. I'm certainly not great at it, but when I die in it usually when I do something stupid.

Challenge 4 is doing my head in though, get to the last wave and then I'm dead so quickly it's not funny.
  • ecureuil 18 Feb 2011 03:12:29 76,644 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still annoyed that they never put a new game+ in to this game. Such a missed opportunity, and the difference between me playing through it once, and playing through it five times.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 18 Feb 2011 03:32:54 11,287 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The second time I played through this game, I just upgraded the three new weapons and pretty much stuck with them. What a difference to the way you play, especially the laser. Totally different tactics.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Collymilad 18 Feb 2011 04:10:47 1,266 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just completed hard mode. 52 deaths.

The last boss was a pain in the arse.

Now onto the challenges :| *ties controller to wrist* :p
  • Dan41187 18 Feb 2011 17:28:31 56 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Spent about half an hour telling the game to fuck off earlier :D

I got stuck at the bit in Chapter 4 where the two transforming scorpion things come at you. The stupid rockets they fire that then shoot at you were really annoying, and the bots themselves were too agile for me to get behind and shoot the core. Every time I boosted/rolled round them and they were facing me by the time I'd got to my feet. They totally ignored everyone else and just focused on attacking me, so I couldn't even take any cheap shots while they weren't looking.

Managed to get past that bit now though, so I'll continue with it a bit later. Approaching 50 deaths now though :(
  • Feanor 2 Mar 2011 20:38:07 14,120 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I quit to the title screen and continued from there every time I died to get the no deaths achievement and to avoid losing weapon upgrades.
  • GloatingSwine 2 Mar 2011 21:46:03 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Learn to love your EMP grenades. They're proper useful for dealing with the tougher baddies.
  • beastmaster 20 Mar 2011 16:40:58 11,287 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished the game. Just fucking brilliant all the way through. I'm exhausted!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Trafford 20 Mar 2011 17:09:42 5,714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah,I keep on meanig to treat myself to a third play through. I bought it on the day of release and it took a place in the "hall of fame," I would never sell or trade it.

Every now and again I take it of the shelf and look at the lenticular sleeve, grinning.
  • Deleted user 20 March 2011 17:20:27
    Trafford wrote:
    it took a place in the "hall of fame," I would never sell or trade it.

Same here - it's the most fun I've had in gaming for years and years. Pretty much played my whole 2 playthroughs with massive shit-eater grins fixed firmly to my mush :D
  • Deleted user 20 March 2011 17:27:34
    Vanquish is a keeper/collectors classic along with bayonetta.

A game full of awesome win.

Reminded me why i love video games
  • beastmaster 20 Mar 2011 22:24:28 11,287 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    Vanquish is a keeper/collectors classic along with bayonetta.

A game full of awesome win.

Reminded me why i love video games

This. I think Anarchy Reigns will be all awesome!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 18 April 2011 13:47:09
    I'm so in love with game I've had 5x playthroughs already yet I have a 15 game backlog!

For me its becoming my fave game this gen.

Oh yeah £9.99 in HMV also
  • Tuffty 20 Apr 2011 22:22:30 1,532 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got this for free today. Haven't got a chance to play it yet, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be awesome.
  • jambii267 8 May 2011 20:40:19 1,366 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted

NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

• cowell 9 May 2011 13:56:23 689 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not normally this lame and I loved Bayonetta. However, have jacked this in at the first boss. - The big spider type thing. I can deal with its first stage, but when it stands up and starts spitting death its a nightmare.

Dumping you back to the very start of the whole battle gets a bit tedious after the 10th time.
  • Deleted user 9 May 2011 14:16:32
    Yeah it's one hell of a learning curve - it almost did for me too after half a dozen attempts.

If you do go back to it (and I implore you to do so as it's superb fun) try to boost around as much as possible and remember you don't have to stay on the top level for the whole fight (something I didn't realise until I found some steps down after an hour or so of trying it ad nauseum).
  • jambii267 11 May 2011 16:24:53 1,366 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tactical Challenge 6 done! Toughest 50G i will ever earn!

NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

• irrelevanthuman 11 May 2011 23:03:35 361 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A couple of months ago my PS3 died along with all my save data, and was I pretty miffed at the thought of having to start games from the beginning, however, just started playing this again and I had forgotten how fucking superb it is. I implore any gamer to buy this epitome of gaming greatness without delay. Just awesome.
  • Page

of 41 First / Last