Vanquish Page 37

• Page

of 41 First / Last

• dancingrob 1 Feb 2011 17:43:03 1,159 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    D'Oh! I didn't even realise you could head back downstairs...

that certainly would have made the whole thing much shorter than the 70 minutes I spent on that section.
  • Deleted user 1 February 2011 18:03:04
    That first Argus fight is a real wake-up call ain't it? Oddly enough it's one of the hardest fights in the whole game

Nearly wrapped up my Hard playthrough now and I'm still really enjoying it

Anyone played God Hard mode? Presumably it does what it says on the tin?
  • kalel 1 Feb 2011 18:07:48 86,812 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I stopped playing this for some reason. Can't remember why. I was quite enjoying it. Something else came along and distracted me. Might have been Reach. Hmm.
  • swede 1 Feb 2011 19:49:22 391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just started it - Act 2 Mission 2 at the mo. Got it for Christmas, but I'm just not enjoying it and I don't know why!
    It might be because I've just finished Red Dead... totally different pace...

Going to perservere and hope I can get into it a bit.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2011 01:05:52
    Finished my Hard playthrough, that was some tough going towards the end particularly the Burns fight

Anyhow, onto the Challenges now, they ought to keep me entertained for a while

Awesome stuff, best game I've played in absolutely ages, and I don't usually go for 3rd person shooters!!
  • Lawrens 2 Feb 2011 08:13:49 398 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone played God Hard mode? Presumably it does what it says on the tin?

Yea I beat it on GH, it's a huge difficulty jump from hard, died a shitload at the last boss and I didn't have too much trouble with hard mode, enemy placements are a bit different, but if you can get through the first initial zone you should be fine for the rest of the game, it doesn't get much harder.

Until the final boss
  • SteveHolt 5 Feb 2011 14:37:06 425 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just bought the DLC weapons, and the pistol and laser cannon are absolutely great. Pistol is a great one hit kill weapon with excellent zoom. The laser cannon is powered by your suit and is great in bossfights.

In the middle of my hard playthrough, and just like bayonetta, skipping all the cheesy cutscenes makes the game much more enjoyable IMO.

Good game, but the camera bothers me, as it's too close to the character IMO. Not being able to see what's directly behind me is annoying, I have to check the radar a lot, and I'd like to be able to always keep my eyes on the action.
  • Lexx87 5 Feb 2011 15:47:43 20,869 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having an Argus Core at the end of Challenge 5, surrounded by 2-hit kill snipers, was insane!

Fun though. Just Challenge 4 to go but it's the hardest :(

Then challenge 6 which looks impossible.

Speak the truth hussy!

• dancingrob 5 Feb 2011 16:58:25 1,159 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've now finished Acts 2 & 3, and got into it a bit more. I'm finding it more difficult than most I guess, having played just over 6 hours on normal to get this far. The 'normal' parts of the game are pretty straight forward, but I'm really struggling with the bosses.

I ended up dying 20 times on the first boss in Act 3, which seems far too much! 'Hard' mode let along the challenges seem like they'll be rather too much for me I have to say!
  • Lexx87 5 Feb 2011 17:00:08 20,869 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hard mode isn't too bad, but can be quite tough in some areas. You just need to master rolling around waiting for AR to charge back up if there isn't anything to hide behind.

Challenge 4 is fucking painful :( Can't do it. Yet.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Lawrens 5 Feb 2011 21:33:53 398 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I never did the challenges, I didn't really like them :( I got 1 shotted by crystal viper and the drill romanov and stopped trying.

For the story mode, you kind of have to play it like a japanese action game, rolling a lot and paying attention to sound cues could get you really far.
  • Ged42 5 Feb 2011 22:08:55 7,713 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just finished this and it's one of those stupid, cheesy and massively fun games that Platinum are so good at. :)

The credits were especially awesome. :D
  • Accordi0n 6 Feb 2011 01:48:13 1,075 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What exactly are you guys finding so hard about the first boss?

You can knock the weak points out in almost one slo-mo, just lead in and out with fire as you go into ARS mode. and then shoot the core.

Top tips:
    Learn the enemy tells. All the one hit kills are clearly signposted, recognize them and BOOST!
    If there is too much going on then use you ARS on occasion to slow time and work out where your targets are.
    Use Cover! Cover will protect you from everything except energy weapons so dont be afraid of taking a break form the action when you need to.…when energy weopons are involved…
    BOOST! Specifically boost cancel by alternating boost and dodge to conserve ARS power. You can attack while boosting so even when evading, be on the offensive.
    Use the HMG melee to launch into the air out of enemy fire and into a great vantage point. Melee only uses the ARS power on contact so you can use this at all times to get a better shot.

But most of all, never ever ever fully deplete the ARS power. Thankfully the gauge is replicated by the crosshairs when in ARS mode so while still learning the limits you dont need to tke your eyes off the target to ensure this doesnt happen.

Stick with it, the first play through should be treated as a tutorial that will shape and teach you for the next playthrough. My first time was painful, the second was pretty rough but without major fault…the third…i was a god!
  • L_Franko Moderator 7 Feb 2011 11:20:12 9,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Started this on Saturday and it is awesome! Love the pace, the combat and trying to make yourself look good when thrown into a group of enemies.

Only finished the 2nd chapter just last night as I didn't have as much time with it as I'd like but tonight I shall give it a good sesh.

Sliding between a big robots legs while shooting the crap out of it in slow mo then jumping into cover while it explodes behind you is gaming gold!
  • dancingrob 8 Feb 2011 13:35:06 1,159 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd long since resigned myself to the fact I'm rubbish at games, but this game is really making me feel it.

I've just finished Act 4, and have been playing for 8 1/4 hours, with the 'death' count perilously close to the magic 100 mark.

Problem is I just can't beat the bosses without multiple deaths before hand, as my twitch skills aren't quite quick enough to dive out the way of the one hit kills most of the time.

With Act 5 supposedly very short, I'll definitely aim to finish it later in the week, by which time I suspect I'll be over the 10 hour mark, and I'll definitely be over 100 deaths!
  • L_Franko Moderator 8 Feb 2011 13:49:02 9,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nothin wrong with that mate, play at your own pace. As long as you enjoy the game it doesnt matter how many time you die.
  • Eraysor 8 Feb 2011 13:59:09 230 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Act 3, Mission 7 currently :)
  • dancingrob 8 Feb 2011 14:03:33 1,159 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nothing wrong with it at all. It's just I'd been breezing through Fallout 3 / Borderlands / Nier for the few weeks before hand, and had just about convinced myself I wasn't actually that bad at games after all!
  • L_Franko Moderator 8 Feb 2011 14:04:26 9,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I must be pretty much where you are then, Eraysor. Had to cut my session short last night so didn't get to finish the whole chapter.
  • Cadence 8 Feb 2011 14:33:24 1,684 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dancingrob wrote:
    I'd long since resigned myself to the fact I'm rubbish at games, but this game is really making me feel it.

I've just finished Act 4, and have been playing for 8 1/4 hours, with the 'death' count perilously close to the magic 100 mark.

Problem is I just can't beat the bosses without multiple deaths before hand, as my twitch skills aren't quite quick enough to dive out the way of the one hit kills most of the time.

With Act 5 supposedly very short, I'll definitely aim to finish it later in the week, by which time I suspect I'll be over the 10 hour mark, and I'll definitely be over 100 deaths!

You really need to make more use of the slow-mo feature. Otherwise you'll get slaughtered in boss fights.
  • Accordi0n 9 Feb 2011 12:24:25 1,075 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dancingrob wrote:

100 deaths is fine.

Though it does sound like you are not using the ARS very often…by dive do you mean dodge or what you should be doing: boosting.

Maybe you could let us know your playstyle, what weapons you carry, etc…
  • DiamondIce 9 Feb 2011 12:58:34 1,185 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Playing Vanquish and not using the slow mo and boosting will make life a lot more difficult and not as enjoyable.

I spent a lot of my time pressing the left trigger and rolling to initiate slow-mo. Hiding behind a wall and then jumping over in slow-mo is also handy.

On my first play through I leveled up the assault rifle first but on my second I upgraded the heavy machine gun before the others. That made a massive difference.

As with most games with a roll, if you are in trouble keep rolling!

FLOPS! RAM!

• L_Franko Moderator 9 Feb 2011 13:38:36 9,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't use the slow mo as much as I probably should have until last night when I was put up against the mid level boss that is made up of loads of small bits of scrap metal in chapter 3.

Fully upgraded my assault rifle last night which has been a big help.
  • dancingrob 9 Feb 2011 20:20:31 1,159 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    my main tactic is to jump around dodging for a while, before triggering slow-mo and then taking out a few enemies. This works pretty well with 'normal' enemies, but far less well with bosses.

I generally find boost quite tricky to use effectively, unless I'm using the disk gun as a melee weapon, so I tend to stick to the slow mo as a rule
  • Accordi0n 11 Feb 2011 01:46:29 1,075 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why would the disk melee have any effect on your boost?
    Boost should be your main way of navigating the space, and you can still do all moves while boosting. The controls are super smooth when transitioning you never really have to stop.

Its also a cover shooter for a reason, as i said on the last page the only thing that can hurt you while in cover is energy weapons, so use it.

General play for me goes something like this:
    boost to cover
    dodge out into slow-mo take out a few enemeies
    dodge back to cover
    EMP grenade over the other side
    slow-mo jump over cover to take them out
    dodge to cover
    HMG melee to gain height and locate and kill grunts
    dodge out
    Boost between some Romanovs while dropping an EMP
    Take out one using shotgun/HMG/Disc/whatever
    Boost at the other while firing
    boost melee into the air
    Finish it off while airborn
    Bathe in explosions

The final boss will make you want to kill yourself unless you know how to boost effectively .

Its simpler that it seems, just get that timing of the ARS meter down and you can do anything you like with little consequence.
  • Lawrens 11 Feb 2011 07:04:21 398 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I generally find boost quite tricky to use effectively, unless I'm using the disk gun as a melee weapon, so I tend to stick to the slow mo as a rule

Use boost cancel (roll to cancel the boost animation before it drains your bar), saves energy, gives invincibility frames and gets you further than normal roll, it's what you should always use when you're out of cover, I only use boost for further distance and need to get around quick, it does take a lot of energy.
  • SteveHolt 12 Feb 2011 10:35:17 425 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cleared the game on hard difficulty, and I'm a bit disappointed, TBH.

Bayonetta was great because, in harder difficulties, the game was perfectly playable with slo mo disabled + all the enemies moving twice as fast. I really thought that Vanquish was the same kind of beast, that slo mo was just an option, and that I was going to end up playing just like in FEAR1 - playing hide n'seek with the superior AI, mostly in real time. But you can't play Vanquish that way - it won't allow it.

Bottom line, this is not the insanely fast-paced action game with airtight gameplay that I wanted. It's a very methodical and clinical TPS, not my cup of tea.
  • Accordi0n 12 Feb 2011 16:52:57 1,075 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    whhaaaattt!!!

What you want and want it quite clearly IS have no correlation at all. The game is about maximising the use of the ARS to efficiently clear levels.
    You seem to have missed that the most important affect on score is time
    But really, hide and seek…hide…and…seek…this is Vanquish! [and how the hell does hide and seek fit with insanely FAST…]

and…
    Hard difficulty is only a tiny tiny bit more difficult than normal, the difference is so slight that my second playthough -after a first run on normal with over 50 deaths- was on hard yet i didnt die once, and steamed through the game.
    try God Hard and get off of easy mode you noob!

finally…
    challenge mode is even more difficult, reliant on time and like everything in the game has leaderboards…which reward speed
    I take it you are number one…
  • dancingrob 12 Feb 2011 17:34:15 1,159 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    finished it last night, and after all my whining, I actually found the final act one of the easiest, and definitely the shortest act of the game!

I didn't find the final boss fight too tricky at all, and probably found the scene 2 boss more difficult.

Generally enjoyed this, and will definitely head back to try it again on hard mode once the backlog has cleared a little, if only because I'll have more idea of tactics etc, as well as properly understanding how to use slow-mo!
  • SteveHolt 13 Feb 2011 01:10:36 425 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Accordi0n wrote:
    try God Hard and get off of easy mode you noob!

finally…
    challenge mode is even more difficult, reliant on time and like everything in the game has leaderboards…which reward speed
    I take it you are number one…

This isn't exactly ninja gaiden hard. And I didn't say the game was bad or flawed, it's just that I didn't expect the game to put so much emphasis on slow motion, cover and ARS management.

After reading reviews and briefly playing the demo, I was expecting the game to be less about carefully managing that green bar on the bottom left on the screen and more about sliding and jumping around all guns blazing. I cleared the game twice, did a couple challenges, found out what the game was expecting from me in the process, and my first impressions were wrong.

And it's clearly a design choice by Platinum. I'm sure they had their reasons, but the exact same game with no ARS management, much less bullet time, but with sliding and melee attacks always enabled, would have been much more fun for me.

If that makes me a noob, I can live with that.
  • Page

of 41 First / Last