The iPad Page 243

• Page

of 244 First / Last

• mrpon 27 Mar 2014 19:12:50 28,430 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, get with the times granddad!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• CharlieStCloud 29 Mar 2014 08:00:00 5,050 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I've only had one Safari crash since iOS 7.1 btw.

Nothing to be proud of i suppose, but at least it works now.
    GRRRR!

: (

... at first it was okay however, a week or so down the line, the abrupt crashes were back again and this time it's not just Safari, but blooming apps too! I was playing the cool if slightly fiddlesome Surgeon Simulator and about two thirds of the way through an operation, it crashed (to the row of icons).

Used the BBC Sports app during the automatic live text feed when Liverpool were hosting Sunderland; two crashes in ten minutes therefore I put the radio on in my living room instead. My friends son played Angry Birds only for the game to go to the App store after accidentally pressing one of the adverts (in a PAID GAME?!) which crashed both apps.

And guess what I came across this morning?

Android is (now) much more stable than iOS

I did not pay 479 for my iPad to crash as frequently as it does these days Apple.

p.s. My Brothers Nexus 10, although fairly overdue a refresh, is probably the most stable tablet I have ever seen ... i.e. It never crashes.
  • bladdard 29 Mar 2014 08:12:40 899 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My iPad is the first retina iPad and when I bought it 18 months ago was lovely, slick, fast, stable but now it's sluggish, buggy and crashes all the time. It fails to keep up when I type on the soft keyboard missing letters and miss spelling words making me look retarded. The YouTube app crashes every time I enter text into the search field, garage band used to be brilliant but now is barely usable, it's been like this since IOS 7. I'm sure making the user experience so bad on my older iPad is Apples tactic to get me to upgrade.
  • Gambit1977 29 Mar 2014 09:13:21 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It definitely is Imo. Not just on iPad but every apple device in the last decade. They don't optimise for older devices they just gimp them intentionally. Yet...still we buy.
  • TarickStonefire 4 Apr 2014 13:33:20 2,897 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    binky wrote:
    Can anyone recommend me a keyboard to use with iPad 2?

I was considering a clamcase pro, but by all account it's a bit of a faff to keep taking the ipad out of. The rigidity of it looks rather good though.

The other option I'm looking at is the Logitech Ultrathin. Looks nice, lightweight but doesn't have the hinge.

Anyone use a good one? Trying to convince myself not to buy a new macbook so help appreciated.
    Did you get one of these, or an alternative, at all? My MBP has been on the blink since before Christmas, it needs a new hard drive I think, or at best the SATA cable has torn inside, but either way I've been putting off fixing it ever since and am starting to miss having a portable typing 'solution'.

I fancy the Logitech one myself...

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• yegon 4 Apr 2014 13:55:14 5,161 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bah, I don't buy that about older hw being gimped with updates. There's definitely been cases of an update too far (3G getting iOS4 ,blech), hw that just didn't age well at all (iPad 1, eek) and the odd version that requires a .1 upgrade to make it better. Apple are hardly alone in the missteps - the first Nexus ran like dog turd with one update for almost a year until an update allowed TRIM and made it better. Meanwhile, some Windows phones were effectively completely abandoned less than a year into their life due to a complete os overhaul.

Before I sold them, my iPad 3 ran fine with iOS7, although a little slow. Likewise my gen 1 Mini ran iOS7 fine, the only impediment being it's paltry 512mb ram which flushed software just like it did with iOS6, hardly a surprise, it was ancient hardware at launch. Mate who has it now has that Mini running great jailbroke with the update just prior to 7.1

iPhone 4 was a champ when I sold it after two years, ran iOS6 fine. Can't speak for 7 on it.

I strongly believe a complete wipe and fresh OS install would improve most of these devices immeasurably, pretty much like desktops and laptops deep into their life.

Apple are damned if they do and damned if they don't - if they don't put the latest software on older devices, everybody screams enforced obsolescence. If they do a third OS update, surprise! It may not be as fast as a slimmer, less demanding OS two years prior! Good luck getting equivalent updates on an android phone - entirely possible if you go Nexus or Google Play editions (I've been severely tempted myself), or you're savvy enough to flash the rom, but I bet there's a tonne of S3's out there in the hands of average Joes' that are absolutely disastrous Touch Wiz flavoured cluster fucks.

As for it being the case on every Apple device from the last decade, lol, my 06 MacBook was excellent for four years and is probably still in use by the person I sold it. Same years Mac Mini had a longer life, 6 years+, till I upgraded in late 2012. Almost* every time I've upgraded my mac, it's been 'cos I wanted better features (backlit keyboard, ssd, usb3, battery life retina display etc) rather than performance issues with older hw.

*That 06 Mini was a bit painful near the end, but completely adequate as a server and pure browser.

Edited by yegon at 14:19:25 04-04-2014
  • binky Moderator 4 Apr 2014 14:39:36 9,433 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    binky wrote:

I was considering a clamcase pro, but by all account it's a bit of a faff to keep taking the ipad out of. The rigidity of it looks rather good though.

The other option I'm looking at is the Logitech Ultrathin. Looks nice, lightweight but doesn't have the hinge.

Anyone use a good one? Trying to convince myself not to buy a new macbook so help appreciated.
    Did you get one of these, or an alternative, at all? My MBP has been on the blink since before Christmas, it needs a new hard drive I think, or at best the SATA cable has torn inside, but either way I've been putting off fixing it ever since and am starting to miss having a portable typing 'solution'.

In the end I've opted for a different route, thanks mostly to a healthy bonus from work. So no, I've stopped looking at these and instead am jumping aboard the rMBP train.

The logitech did look good though. John Lewis seemed to be the best place to try a number of these for yourself.
  • TarickStonefire 4 Apr 2014 14:44:58 2,897 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    binky wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    binky wrote:

In the end I've opted for a different route, thanks mostly to a healthy bonus from work. So no, I've stopped looking at these and instead am jumping aboard the rMBP train.

The logitech did look good though. John Lewis seemed to be the best place to try a number of these for yourself.
    No worries, hope you love the MBP :)

• uiruki 4 Apr 2014 15:20:24 3,659 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @yegon Agreed. In late 2008 I bought a Sony Vaio Type Z and a friend of mine got an aluminium MacBook. The Vaio cost a fair bit more than the MacBook and came with Vista. Sony didn't even bother to release usable drivers for Windows 7 for it just months later, meaning I had to rely on hacked together drivers to make things like external displays work, while my mate runs 10.9 on his machine with no bother.

Phone wise, I got a HTC Desire in mid-2010 which HTC finally managed to squeeze 2.3 onto late in 2011 with a weird install process. The 2010 iPhone 4 runs the most current iOS. I thought I'd buy a nexus in late '11 and then Google dropped support for the Galaxy Nexus after 18 months after being constantly weeks later than a slightly different version of the same phone. And that's why I use Apple products now!
  • CharlieStCloud 4 Apr 2014 16:20:01 5,050 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @TarickStonefire

You are aware that you can use this for your iPad?

... or did you wish for a Surface keyboard cover-esque solution?

In that case, my recommendation is probably useless, sorry!
  • swede 16 Apr 2014 20:32:22 391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Posted this in the Hearthstone thread, but gonna post it here as well. Hearthstone is out now in the UK. I had to google it to find the store page, but it downloaded and launched with no problems.

Any ipadders out there who havent heard of it, try it, I think you'll like it ;)
  • Jeepers 16 Apr 2014 20:42:01 13,173 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a gen 1 retina iPad and performance in Safari is fucking diabolical; any tips or should I chuck it out the window and buy a new one like Saint Steve would want?
  • CharlieStCloud 19 Apr 2014 08:20:02 5,050 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Jeepers

You can buy a new iPad Air from Tesco, as long as you sign-up as a 'new customer', for 349 or the new iPad mini (with Retina display) for 279.

... heck, you can probably find yourself the first generation iPad mini for sub two hundred pounds if you look around, as long as you do not mind a passable and lukewarm resolution.

On another note altogether, I have just looked at 9 to 5 Mac or Mac Rumours, one of the two, to find out that the next iPad Air is SSTTIILLLL in all likelihood going to have ONE GB OF RAM?!

>: (

If that does indeed happens, do look forward to even more crashes, especially after you opened the third tab on Safari (!)
  • TarickStonefire 19 Apr 2014 09:15:32 2,897 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    I have a gen 1 retina iPad
    You mean you have a third generation iPad.

So do I, Safari seems alright to me. What exactly are you seeing?

Edited by TarickStonefire at 09:15:53 19-04-2014

• yegon 19 Apr 2014 09:22:36 5,161 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah that does sound weird. Safari actually performed a little better in some ways on my old 3 than my retina mini. The Mini is faster certainly, but the 3 held tabs in memory better due to the 32bit/64bit transition.

Maybe a clean re install is in order.
  • Jeepers 19 Apr 2014 10:41:17 13,173 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Genuinely poor in Safari for me: sites like The Guardian or Independent stutter and lag when scrolling, with delays measured in full seconds. Pages will jump around as they load, leading to frequent mis-taps. I'm inclined to think its as much to do with lazy, incompetent, bloated HTML as much as it is an ipad issue but either way, it's piss poor.
  • Airwreck 22 Apr 2014 18:53:51 78 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Does anyone here have experience with using Office for iPad on a mini? The reviewers are always talking about the Air, but I'd like to know whether the smaller screen makes the UI harder to use.
  • Vice.Destroyer 22 Apr 2014 20:49:46 5,823 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bladdard wrote:
    ...I'm sure making the user experience so bad on my older iPad is Apples tactic to get me to upgrade.
    They call it planned obsolescence. And it unfortunately is a thing.
  • danathjo 3 May 2014 13:38:49 7,222 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thinking of getting an iPad mini retina or iPad air (never had one) will probably get the mini for portability but I have one question.

We (wife and I) both have our own accounts, iTunes music on mine and all the apps on hers as she has an iPhone (android myself). Is there any way we could have both accounts accessible on the one iPad?
  • mrpon 3 May 2014 17:06:54 28,430 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can change accounts in the App Store and download anything that account has bought, then switch back. This prevents the need to buy the same app twice.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• danathjo 5 May 2014 00:23:57 7,222 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Been playing with it for just a couple hours and already want to get one each.

So...what is the best browser to use before I get crazy with bookmarks?
  • mcmothercruncher 5 May 2014 07:44:23 6,443 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you've any other ios/osx devices then Safari fo sho. It'll sync everything with magic behind the scenes. Even if you haven't, I'd stick with Safari just because the other Apple apps are so well integrated with it.
  • THFourteen 5 May 2014 08:35:17 32,857 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd like to use Chrome to sync with my phone and pcs but unfortunately safari is just miles quicker than anything else on ios devices.
  • ElNino9 5 May 2014 09:03:48 13,286 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    iPad Air has been flawless on Safari after the update.

It crashed like a mother fucker before that.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• danathjo 5 May 2014 11:12:11 7,222 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Grand, Cheers guys!
  • damagedinc 5 May 2014 12:27:47 688 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thougt be quicker to ask here. Is there a decent way of hooking up my ipad to the tv via hdmi. I have the ipad 4.
  • lordofthedunce 14 Jun 2014 22:55:44 375 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Straw poll, iPad 2 or iPad mini 1st gen?
    Got about 3000kr (250) to spend on a iPad.
    Mainly for home use.
    Any thoughts?
  • Dr-Strangelove 14 Jun 2014 23:46:31 2,130 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They are the same thing, as I guess you must know...

What is your use?

If you reading anything =/> A4 size then the non retina nature of both would lend itself to choose the iPad2. Otherwise the mini came after so would have some slightly better tech then the iPad2, but they are just the same spec.
  • lordofthedunce 14 Jun 2014 23:56:56 375 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's mainly for browsing, video and for my son to play with learning apps.
    I think the mini would suit him more size-wise.
    I think I need to get into a shop and pick them both up, the rest is negligible, I guess.

Cheers for the reply :)

Edited by lordofthedunce at 23:57:44 14-06-2014
  • Dr-Strangelove 15 Jun 2014 00:10:01 2,130 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    no problem :)

Video on a tighter PPI would be nice, so a mini is probably better there. Depends on the source res tho. I would say that for a child to hold and use that the bigger one is better, though it is heavier so will be held slightly differently and the viewing distance would also be different. My 3 and 1 year old both get different uses out of my iPad2. I feel the bigger device and areas to touch are more suited for them. Would be interested to hear other users opinions.

But yes, your own use and opinion counts so go and play and report back your observations and choice :)
  • Page

of 244 First / Last