The iPad Page 223

• Page

of 254 First / Last

• Deleted user 10 October 2013 18:32:17
    When you say you used to do boxing you really mean your mum used to take you when you were 8 so she could get pummelled by all the neighbours, yeah?
  • Punctum 10 Oct 2013 18:33:15 1,024 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    rumblesushi wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    rumblesushi wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    I reckon we will get retina this year.

FWIW I don't like violent people.
    Me neither.
    I thought you used to like fighting?
    No, I used to box, I don't like street fighting. I love fighting as a sport.
    Clearly. Duran was an incredible fighter, probably my favourite of all time. His demolition of Davey Moore was a perfect example of aggressive boxing.

Anyway, anymore news of the Ipad Maxi thingamajig?
  • Benno 10 Oct 2013 18:34:06 10,212 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm never going to buy overpriced apple tosh again! rumblesushi told me not to and hes a fighter
  • Deleted user 10 October 2013 18:37:26
    mowgli wrote:
    When you say you used to do boxing you really mean your mum used to take you when you were 8 so she could get pummelled by all the neighbours, yeah?
    No.
  • nickthegun 10 Oct 2013 18:43:21 61,039 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can we all just agree that Dalton is hilarious and move on?

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 10 October 2013 18:52:23
    Punctum wrote:
    rumblesushi wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    rumblesushi wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    I reckon we will get retina this year.

FWIW I don't like violent people.
    Me neither.
    I thought you used to like fighting?
    No, I used to box, I don't like street fighting. I love fighting as a sport.
    Clearly. Duran was an incredible fighter, probably my favourite of all time. His demolition of Davey Moore was a perfect example of aggressive boxing.

Anyway, anymore news of the Ipad Maxi thingamajig?
    Ha, good man, I was wondering if anyone on EG would be enough of a boxing fan to know who he is ;)

He is my favourite fighter of all time too, he got me into boxing actually. Yeah Davey Moore was a relentless beating, vintage Duran style, he was certainly on that night.

Have you seen many of Duran's lightweight fights? I'd say the 3rd DeJesus fight was Duran at his peak, a fighting machine.
  • beastmaster 10 Oct 2013 19:06:23 11,802 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes, that's all very interesting an' all...perhaps a boxing thread?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• BinaryBob101 10 Oct 2013 20:37:21 24,068 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I once called Alfonso Cuaron, "Alfred", by mistake!

How we laughed!

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Punctum 10 Oct 2013 22:05:40 1,024 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @rumblesushi

Yeh, I've seen many of his fights at lightweight and would agree with the third DeJesus fight being his prime display.

The later fights against bigger and naturally heavier opposition when past his prime really showcased his craft, especially his defense (amazingly good at slipping punches), infighting (credit to Leonard for trying to beat him at his own game), body punching (Davey Moore took a cruel beating) and combinations (the combination that dropped Barkley was beautiful).

An awesome boxer, never get tired of watching his fights.

/apologises for derailing thread and leaves.
  • Deleted user 10 October 2013 22:27:29
    ^ I'll believe that when I see it.
  • spindizzy 11 Oct 2013 10:49:52 6,573 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    spindizzy wrote:
    Yawn @laptops being "absurdly" over priced. They're just not.

/derails thread.
    Well that was successful!
    Holy shit... I ... I have SUPER POWERS!

Can a mod help me rename myself "Thread-derailer man"? And if anyone wants to help me make a natty superhero outfit, that'd be great!
  • spindizzy 11 Oct 2013 11:05:44 6,573 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    These days Apple are leaky as fuck and the rumour are virtually 100% accurate. There was literally not one single surprise at the 5S announcement.
    I think the A7 being 64-bit was a surprise, no? I mean, it was obviously coming but I don't think anyone expected it in the 5s?

Anyway, I still think a retina mini is possible ... quite a few people are posting it as 'fact' now.
    http://allthingsd.com/20131008/apple-will-hold-fall-ipad-event-on-october-22/
  • BinaryBob101 11 Oct 2013 17:20:20 24,068 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Deleted user 11 October 2013 17:22:26
    I will fight you IRL.
  • CharlieStCloud 16 Oct 2013 11:30:03 5,368 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
  • Benno 16 Oct 2013 11:36:17 10,212 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    a retina mini must be the natural addition the end of year product line-up?
  • CharlieStCloud 16 Oct 2013 11:40:59 5,368 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Next Monday's event will consist of a new iPad and iPad mini (a Retina screen, maybe?) as well as updated MacBook Pros (Haswell innards), Mac Pro unveiling and Mavericks OS X release for public.

... anything else would be a surprise!

Not sure why so many gadget websites are expecting an iWatch though. That won't happen until next year sometime.
  • RedSparrows 16 Oct 2013 11:42:04 23,868 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone want to sell me an old ipad for cheapy cheap?

I just want a nice screen for work.
  • Fab4 16 Oct 2013 11:52:36 6,159 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mcmonkeyplc Have you considered their resale value, even for devices that are several years old?

Edit: Ignore...this shitty 'Mobile' layout brought me to an ancient part of this thread.

Edited by Fab4 at 11:54:02 16-10-2013
  • Deleted user 16 October 2013 12:31:45
    Yeah, quite a lot of evidence building for a retina mini now.

Also some new rumours that next year's ipads will be even higher resolution still. Is there really any point in that? I thought the whole thing about "retina" was that it was the highest resolution your "retina" could distinguish or something.
  • THFourteen 16 Oct 2013 12:33:28 34,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wondered the same thing. I guess its just a resolution war really with other screens coming out at higher DPI.

Retina Mini will be a day 1 buy. In fact non-retina mini will be a day 1 buy. I just want more RAM and a better CPU.

Hope they dont make the mini heavier, although it seems they will.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2013 12:36:04
    I'm up for a new full size one. Still don't really get the point of a mini. If anything I want an even bigger one.

Edited by kalel at 12:36:15 16-10-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 16 Oct 2013 12:38:01 5,368 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Also some new rumours that next year's ipads will be even higher resolution still. Is there really any point in that? I thought the whole thing about "retina" was that it was the highest resolution your "retina" could distinguish or something.
    There are (rumours), but like you, I too don't see the point.

... if the Nexus 10, which has been out for quite some time now has a higher resolution screen than the iPad, it does make some folks think, 'well, when will Apple step-up?'.

A Retina screen on the iPad mini would be even sharper than the 'normal/proper' one!

: O
  • CharlieStCloud 16 Oct 2013 12:40:01 5,368 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    If anything I want an even bigger one.
    *giggles*
  • Fab4 16 Oct 2013 12:40:20 6,159 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I also would like a bigger ipad...the rumour of the 13-inch one coming next year intrigues me.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2013 12:41:10
    The retina thing was just good marketing. There are plenty of devices that are higher resolution/DPI.

That said, it isn't going to gain anything from going above retina.

Edited by Aargh. at 12:41:22 16-10-2013
  • Deleted user 16 October 2013 12:49:11
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    A Retina screen on the iPad mini would be even sharper than the 'normal/proper' one!
    Not necessarily. There's a theory that retina isn't a specific resolution - Apple have never said what resolution = retina. It's just the resolution whereby you can't distinguish between pixels, but that resolution will differ depending on the size of the screen, or even how far you are from it. There's been suggestions that Apple will call their 4K monitors "retina", even though they're not the equivalent resolution of the ipad or Macbook retina.
  • spindizzy 16 Oct 2013 12:55:33 6,573 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    The retina thing was just good marketing. There are plenty of devices that are higher resolution/DPI.
    Edited by Aargh. at 12:41:22 16-10-2013
    There weren't when the iPhone 4 came out (at least not in consumer devices).

I agree that I can't see the point in going above retina ... except that I guess the definition for retina is holding it a certain prescribed distance away, and maybe some people strap it to their faces? ACTUALLY, maybe this is just Apple driving display makers to get better resolution for the Oculus Rift? Maybe this is elaborate act of self-sacrifice so we can all stop mowing lawns and become digital gods? Apple are famous for their altruism, after all? ;-)
  • yegon 16 Oct 2013 13:03:54 5,397 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Resolution can and will get better but we're firmly in diminishing returns territory now, much like tv's. SD TV to proper 1080p was epic. 1080p to 4K? Never seen 4K of course, and I'll absolutely be all in when there's content and you can buy a sub 2k 50" or so OLED, but the jump from 1080p won't be nearly as dramatic as 576 to 1080p.

Maybe I should skip 4k and wait for widespread 8k, circa 2030?

Edited by yegon at 13:05:04 16-10-2013
  • mrpon 16 Oct 2013 13:05:37 29,414 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think if a retina-mini was announced, keeping the same form factor as the current one, I'd be tempted.

If EG bring back Portable mode, of course ;)

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Page

of 254 First / Last