The iPad Page 212

• Page

of 244 First / Last

• Darren 1 Jan 2013 19:32:43 8,698 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    KennyPowers wrote:Is there anyway to get the voice control like iphones do?

Also, how many of you have jailbroken yours?
    You can press and hold the Home button to bring up Siri, the built in voice assistant in any app. I'm not sure how useful it is but it fun to play around with and can be used to dictate posts and messages with surprising accuracy. You need to be connected to the net to use it though.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Darren 2 Jan 2013 08:16:56 8,698 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I fixed the messed up album art/titles with the Music app by signing out then signing back in on iTunes 11's Home Sharing on my PC and on my iPad.

Two further annoyances have popped up though:

1. I bought a 2m lightning to USB cable from an Amazon reseller to use with a dock/stand that I'd also purchased. Alas, I found that my iPad would only charge to 80% on this lead as once it hits that it says that the accessory is not compatible with the iPad (yet it charged to 80% so huh???). Also, if I continue to use my iPad with this cable then the charge on it still continues to drop, albeit more slowly then without the cable. If I use the official 1m cable that came with the iPad 4 then it charges whilst in use and also charges much quicker to the full 100%.

Is there a 2m lightning to USB cable that actually fully charges the iPad? 1m is far too short when you're connecting the cable to the mains for recharging IMO and charging from a PC USB port is not recommended as it is USB 2.0 only and therefore does provide the same amount of "juice" as the mains (which means recharging would take much longer that way anyway and require the PC to be left on).

2. I've been looking at the Newsstand app and I'm really, really impressed with the quality of some of the magazines, especially the interactive ones like Edge. I'm seriously considering ditching paper magazines for the cheaper digital ones from now on.

The app isn't completely flawless though. Every publisher seems to have a different layout and system for accessing the magazines, which can be confusing when I'm trying to exit them, plus you have to download an app to then download the magazines themselves. In other words, although you see magazines stacked on a shelf, a lovely touch I think, when you open them they then load an app for the magazine that then allows you access to the magazines rather than an individual issue that the picture depicts. I kind of wish the Newsstand showed each individual magazine, or had the option to.

Anyway, that isn't the issue here, it is the fact that I bought the Rugby League World magazine app for 1.99 expecting it to download the latest magazine but when I load the app I'm asked to pick a free issue (how is it free when I paid 1.99 for it?). When I pick an issue then app seems to freeze and eventually it exits back to the Newsstand. If I reload the magazine then I'm asked again to pick a free issue. I've tried deleting the app and redownloading but it seems to keep crashing. At one point, I did actually get to the screen which showed me the latest issue which I'd selected with a Download option (instead of a 2.99 price) but now the app just crashes to the Newsstand every time I load it. In other words I've bought something I cannot use. I don't seem to be able to find out how to contact the publisher either so any help here would be much appreciated (I have a 64 GB iPad 4 with around 23 GB free so there's no reason the magazine shouldn't work).

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• KennyPowers 2 Jan 2013 12:20:00 94 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Darren Doesn't seem to work when I hold the home button down. Maybe it only works on the newer ipads only?
  • TarickStonefire 2 Jan 2013 12:43:24 2,897 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @KennyPowers Siri works on iPad 3, iPad 4 and iPad mini, but only with iOS 6. Go to Settings-General-Siri and turn it on. Hold the Home button to activate it.

EDIT: Ah, you have an iPad 2 - yeah, no Siri for that one I'm afraid. Believe me, you're really not missing much at all. A couple of minutes novelty amusement now and again but of very little practical use to most people day to day, I'd say. Plus, it's just embarrassing and kind of dumb-looking speaking commands to your computer. Especially when it gets it wrong. Which it will.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 12:58:57 02-01-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 2 Jan 2013 12:52:35 2,897 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Darren
    The app isn't completely flawless though. Every publisher seems to have a different layout and system for accessing the magazines, which can be confusing when I'm trying to exit them, plus you have to download an app to then download the magazines themselves.
    You're right that there's a mess of different designs out there, some very much more effective than others, but most still quite clunky and slow. However, every magazine publisher having a different design for their mags isn't a fault of the Newsstand app. That's like having a problem with newsagents for selling magazines that all have different layouts... ;)

Yes, you do need to download an app to download the magazines - the app IS the magazine. Newsstand is like a shop. It's just there to present publications for you to browse. When you buy a publication you need to download their app. From within that app you can then purchase subs, or single issues, and read the issues you've bought.

I kind of wish the Newsstand showed each individual magazine, or had the option to.
    Impossible because as you say, the issues themselves aren't within Newsstand, but within the apps that you downloaded with Newsstand. The devs simply change their app icon with each new issue.

I bought the Rugby League World magazine app for 1.99 expecting it to download the latest magazine but when I load the app I'm asked to pick a free issue (how is it free when I paid 1.99 for it?)
    According to the App Store description for that app, as opposed to a free basic download that you then purchase issues from, RWM offers a paid-for app that grants you one issue of your choice (ie, not just the latest issue) - that is the 'free' download you're being asked to choose.

now the app just crashes to the Newsstand every time I load it
    Is your device running low on memory perhaps? Unlikely, but possible I suppose. More likely is it's just a bug in the app. Have you tried turning your device completely off and on again? If that doesn't work, try completely deleting the app from your device and reinstalling it via Newsstand, then try to download your choice of issue again.

According to the iTunes page for the app, the developer is TriActive Media. Have you tried getting in touch via their website?

Alternatively, if they're not replying (and bear in mind the date!) you could always ask Apple to refund you. I've never been refused a refund on the rare occasions I've needed to because an app absolutely does not work and the developer won't reply. Apple say that they don't do refunds but if you ask and make a good case, they will consider it.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 12:55:26 02-01-2013

Edited by TarickStonefire at 13:00:20 02-01-2013

• TarickStonefire 2 Jan 2013 13:03:29 2,897 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Darren By the way, if the iPad 4 is anything like the iPad 3, it takes a LOT of power to charge the battery up. From 0% battery the iPad 3 needs at least ten hours uninterrupted charging to get back to 100%, considerably slower than the iPad 1 or 2. It also uses power faster than it charges the battery so using it while charging will always result in a net loss.

Not sure about the issue with it stopping at 80% when using a third party cable though.

• Darren 2 Jan 2013 13:16:44 8,698 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My iPad recharges 1% every 2-3 minutes while I was using it last night while connected to the mains via the original lightning cable so that is around 4-5 hours to recharge. It seemed very quick anyway but since I recharge over night it wouldn't really matter if it was longer. I get around 9 hours out of it with the screen on 50% brightness, longer if I reduce it to around 35%.

As for the Newsstand issue, I can open over 30 apps and not have any problems with performance. In fact, I didn't even realise the apps were still open and, surprisingly, even if you power off the iPad completely (i.e. not standby mode) then the apps still remain open when you turn it back on! However, I shut down all the apps, turned my iPad off then on and the Rugby League World app still refuses to load. It display the loading screen and a loading message then promptly dumps me back to either the main screen or the Newsstand app. Given the quality of the apps that I've tried so far that comes as a major disappointment given how closed off Apple devices are.

Edited by Darren at 13:22:58 02-01-2013

• Darren 2 Jan 2013 13:21:19 8,698 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    P.S. Thanks for the link to the TriActive Media site... I'll drop them an email now. :)

• TarickStonefire 2 Jan 2013 13:32:12 2,897 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    My iPad recharges 1% every 2-3 minutes when I was using it last night while connected to the mains via the original lightning cable so that is around 4-5 hours to recharge. It seemed very quick anyway but since I recharge over night it wouldn't really matter if it was longer. I get around 9 hours out of it with the screen on 50% brightness, longer if I reduce it to around 35%.
    Yeah that's faster than the iPad 3 ;) I charge overnight too so never notice, but if I have worn it out completely and it doesn't get 8-10 hours charge it won't quite be full.

As for the Newsstand issue, I can open over 30 apps and not have any problems with performance. In fact, I didn't even realise the apps were still open and, surprisingly, even if you power off the iPad completely (i.e. not standby mode) then the apps still remain open when you turn it back on! However, I shut down all the apps, turned my iPad off then on and the Rugby League World app still refuses to load. It display the loading screen and a loading message then promptly dumps me back to either the main screen or the Newsstand app. Given the quality of the apps that I've tried so far that comes as a major disappointment given how closed off Apple devices are.
    Have you tried deleting the RLW app and redownloading it from Newsstand or the App Store? You won't be charged again for the app and as you haven't completed your first issue download that should still be available in the app. (And if it did register a successful download for some reason, the issue you chose should still be available to download again for free.)

By the way, when you reboot your device, apps still appear in that tray because it's main function is to provide shortcuts to your last used apps - it doesn't represent 'apps that are currently running and using resources'.

Actually, most of them aren't using any resources because after a period of inactivity iOS freezes them, unless they're using an approved background process such as uploading/downloading or playing audio in which case that process is kept alive and everything else is frozen.

Very recently used apps may still be doing something so you may see an improvement killing the last app you used (particularly if it's something powerful like Animoog that keeps running in order to receive midi signals) but generally there's not a big benefit to be gained going through the tray killing everything.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 13:33:11 02-01-2013

• Darren 2 Jan 2013 13:40:22 8,698 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes, I tried deleting then redownloading the Rugby League World app but it still crashes after displaying the splash screen for a few minutes. Other TriMedia Active magazines load fine however so it's an odd issue for sure. I've contacted support now so hopefully they'll be able to identify why it is working for me or give me a refund if they can't. I suspect this app has not been tested on the new iPad myself, or perhaps v6.0.1 of iOS.

Thanks for your help anyway.

• Darren 2 Jan 2013 13:54:21 8,698 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    By the way, games are really terrific on this device, thanks to the size and resolution of the screen. I'd previously enjoyed a number of games on my 5" S3's screen but this is in a totally different league, as is reading magazines and browsing web sites. It feels closer to offering me what I get on my PC without making me squint or have to zoom in to read stuff. My wrists do tend to ache a little from holding the tablet in one hand though but I love the solid, weighty build of the iPad. It feels like something that cost 550, which is just as well as that's how much I paid for it! :)

I tried The Snowman and the Snow Dog on the iPad last week and while it is a free game with simple visuals, I noticed the flickery hand-drawn animation effect that you see in the actual cartoon on my iPad which I totally missed on my S3. Games also run much smoother. I tried N.O.V.A. 3, ShadowGun and Dead Trigger as well as Asphalt 7 and Real Racing 2, which I had on my S3 and they all play smoother on the iPad. Also, games like Infinity Blade 2 look astonishing on the iPad (even the original game looks great). The touch screen controls work extremely well in this game too. That said, touch screen controls can jar a little in more complex third and first person shooters but tilt controls for racing games and touch controls for simpler Angry Birds type games work very well. Bejewelled HD is an absolute joy to play on the iPad for example and Lords of Midnight looks great too (it plays great with a stylus). Rayman Jungle Run looks gorgeous on here too.

I'd never have dreamed I'd ever own an Apple device a few months ago but having used the iPad I can now appreciate why they are so highly praised. Granted I haven't tried many tablets but I cannot imagine that anything else that uses Android comes close to matching the quality and variety of the apps on the iPad or the build quality. The 4:3 screen aspect ratio also seems dated and inappropriate until you use it and realise how useful it is for browsing and reading. My S3 just seems horribly narrow and restrictive now with its 16:9 screen after a few days on an iPad.

Edited by Darren at 13:55:17 02-01-2013

• Darren 2 Jan 2013 13:57:28 8,698 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would have actually bought an iPad mini but I was a little put off my the screen resolution. I'm betting that Apple release an iPad mini 2nd Generation this year though with a Retina display. I suspect that would prove to be even more popular than the 10" iPads as the iPad 4 is an absolutely fantastic device but I'll admit that it is chunky and heavy with it.

• mcmonkeyplc 2 Jan 2013 13:57:31 39,384 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The S3 isn't a tablet.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• TarickStonefire 2 Jan 2013 14:12:31 2,897 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Darren My wife has the mini. I must admit the resolution is actually not as noticeable as I thought it would be. I have a retina phone and ipad so I expected it to look terrible. It actually looks better than the iPad 1 she used to have, way better. And it's so much lighter and handleable, and the screen itself isn't that much smaller.

But I think I do prefer the larger screen size of the bigger one. More space for bigger fingers...

• Darren 3 Jan 2013 12:07:12 8,698 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The ongoing saga of the Rugby League World app... well, I actually managed to get it to load once but it mostly times out on the splash screen with an error about not being able to connect to the Pocketmags.com server. It is looking like there may be an issue with the server that hosts that particular magazine as I do not get this error with any of the other magazines from this same publisher that also use Pocketmags.com. I've contacted Pocketmags.com twice but have yet to receive any reply which is annoying.

• TarickStonefire 3 Jan 2013 12:09:48 2,897 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Darren It's that time of year. They may well have an entire Christmas/New Year's wroth of complaints to get through before yours... ;)

• Darren 3 Jan 2013 12:11:20 8,698 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    @Darren My wife has the mini. I must admit the resolution is actually not as noticeable as I thought it would be. I have a retina phone and ipad so I expected it to look terrible. It actually looks better than the iPad 1 she used to have, way better. And it's so much lighter and handleable, and the screen itself isn't that much smaller.

But I think I do prefer the larger screen size of the bigger one. More space for bigger fingers...
    Yeah, I saw the iPad mini running a display in Curry's yesterday and I was quite surprised at how good the screen looked myself. I looked really closely at the screen and it didn't seem anywhere near as blocky as I expected it to look and the size factor is nice. I think an 8" 4:3 screen is probably the minimum size for comfortable reading of magazines and websites. I may well pick up a 16 GB iPad mini 2nd Generation when it is inevitably released later on this year (we all know it is coming, right?).

• Darren 3 Jan 2013 12:12:54 8,698 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    @Darren It's that time of year. They may well have an entire Christmas/New Year's wroth of complaints to get through before yours... ;)
    Very true. I guess I don't have much patience really!

• TarickStonefire 3 Jan 2013 12:50:48 2,897 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Darren
    I may well pick up a 16 GB iPad mini 2nd Generation when it is inevitably released later on this year (we all know it is coming, right?).
    Of course it is - Apple update their products annually, nobody's in any doubt about that by now ;)

I don't believe any of the rumours about yet more iPads early this year though. I think they've 'transitioned' most/all of their iOS device releases to the second half of the year, if not the last quarter.

• dominalien 3 Jan 2013 13:25:12 6,834 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Of course it is - Apple update their products annually, nobody's in any doubt about that by now ;)
    Actually, in numerous cases, you couldn't be further from the truth. :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• TarickStonefire 3 Jan 2013 15:05:44 2,897 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @dominalien I don't even need to click the link to know you'll be referring to things like the Mac Pro. I mis-typed. I meant their iOS devices.

:)

• dominalien 3 Jan 2013 15:07:54 6,834 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @TarickStonefire

The iOS devices are there, too, and their refresh cycles are hardly year-long :-)

• TarickStonefire 3 Jan 2013 15:11:55 2,897 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @dominalien I disagree. iPhones are pretty much annual usually in Summer (June/July) but last year slipped to later - may not be a regular thing, too early to say, I just think the phone was late out of the blocks, no other reason. iPod touches also pretty much annual during the Autumn music event they usually hold.

iPads were annual every March until last October when Apple pulled out an iPad 3 in March but then pulled out the iPad mini and an iPad 4 in October, which is why I said above I think they're moving those devices to later in the year, before Christmas, because let's face it, selling loads of iPads for Christmas and then bringing out a new one three months later was stupid.

iOS devices: pretty much annual.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 15:15:26 03-01-2013

Edited by TarickStonefire at 15:21:04 03-01-2013

• dominalien 3 Jan 2013 15:15:33 6,834 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @TarickStonefire

The latest release of iPad 4, the 2nd one last year, basically destroyed any expectation that Apple will keep to a year-long refresh cycle. They may stick to it most of the time, but I'm pretty sure we can count on them to break it whenever it suits them.

• TarickStonefire 3 Jan 2013 15:19:28 2,897 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    @TarickStonefire

The latest release of iPad 4, the 2nd one last year, basically destroyed any expectation that Apple will keep to a year-long refresh cycle. They may stick to it most of the time, but I'm pretty sure we can count on them to break it whenever it suits them.
    It destroys it if you choose to base your expectations on the last thing they did. But personally I think the pretty-much-annual-refresh of iOS devices that extends back several years before last October tells a more compelling story. But I'm not going to argue about how often Apple usually release devices. If you think it's not annual, fair dos!

However, my own take is that iPads moved from March to October because March is a dumb time to release a new version, so soon after everyone got one for Christmas. They would have had to either:

a) wait from March 2012 (iPad 3) until October 2013

or

b) bite the bullet and release an incremental update in October 2012, call it the 4, then stick to October/Winter to release their subsequent new versions.

And I think the iPhone 5 was just late. I think they'd have preferred to get it out in the Summer like they usually do.

I just don't think the market will tolerate 6-monthly revisions. I think October 2012 was the exception. Sure, they can break the cycle whenever they feel the need to, I don't disagree with that. But generally, we can all expect a new iPad mini, a new iPhone and a new iPad this year. But not until at the earliest Summer, if you ask me.

I could be completely wrong of course but it's all speculation really.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 15:22:42 03-01-2013

• Darren 4 Jan 2013 16:48:54 8,698 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I managed to get a reply, actually two, from Pocketmags.com regarding the issues I was having with their Rugby League World app. They claim the issues are due to high demand at this time of year hence why I kept getting server time out errors (sometimes with their other mags too). They suggested I download and use their Pocketmags app which I wasn't even aware of!

Anyway, I downloaded and tried it across lunchtime, signed into my Pocketmags.com account and, sure enough, I could see all my 'free' purchases plus one of the RLW issues I'd bought while I was actually signed into my account on the RLW app. I had bought two other issues though that didn't show up, presumably because their app allows you to buy magazines through the Apple Store without being signed into their account, but I managed to get one of them to show by repeatedly refreshing my subscription. Hopefully the other one will show as well.

Confusingly, if I download the magazines in the RLW app from the Newsstand then they do not show up in the Pocketmags.com app's library as being downloaded! That means that if I'm not carefully then I could end up wasting the iPad's precious storage space with multiple copies of the same Pocketmags magazines. I think I'll delete the standalone magazine apps from the Newsstand once I know I have all the issues available in the Pocketmags one. Phew!

To be honest, I'm actually surprised that I've even had all this hassle as I was led to believe the iPad was a very user-friendly and simple device to use. While that is certainly true for most of the apps, the whole Newsstand is, IMO, a bit of a mess and clunkier than I expected it to be. Also, it is annoying that individual magazine purchases do not show up in my Apple iTunes purchases like all the other games, music, videos, books and apps do. If they did then redownloading that missing issue of RLW would be far more straight forward.

Edited by Darren at 16:50:43 04-01-2013

• TarickStonefire 4 Jan 2013 17:21:47 2,897 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Do you have a blog? ;)

• askew 4 Jan 2013 17:27:24 12,025 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Darren: Newsstand may be a little clunky, but is how Apple gets their cut from magazine subscriptions. I suspect those publishers have collaborated to create that alternate app so they can keep all the revenue generated from those sales. If you can delete the magazines from within Newsstand than feel free to do so: you should be able to re-download any at a later date.
  • mrpon 4 Jan 2013 17:28:24 28,429 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Try Zinio as another mag alternative.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Darren 10 Jan 2013 12:40:20 8,698 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The problems with the Pocketmags apps seems to have been sorted now that the Christmas period is well and truly over and server demand is lower. I was able to get all my purchased magazines and read them. There's a peculiar bug with the standalone Pocketmags app though in that the magazines and text appear much blurrier than they do when viewing the exact same magazines (which need to be redownloaded) in the individual magazine apps. I've been told my Pocketmags that they are updating all their apps over the coming months so, hopefully, the issues I've encountered will become a fading memory.

I really love my iPad. I was thinking that other day how I spend far more time browsing on the internet than I do actually playing games these days so a tablet is really ideal for me. At nearly 46 years old, I'm starting to tire of hardcore gaming anyway and only the odd RPG or story-driven title keeps my interest long enough for me to complete it (Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 for example). As such I suspect I won't end up buying the new Xbox or PS when they come out as I have a gaming PC for those anyway and the iPad offers a better all-round experience for my needs. Heck, it even plays games and at 69p-1.99 they represent far better value IMO given that I only play some 30+ games for a few hours before I get bored of them and move onto something else.

I'm actually planning on selling all my current consoles over the coming months due to a lack of interest in them and just keeping my iPad, PS Vita and PC for gaming (plus Samsung Galaxy S3 phone!).

• Page

of 244 First / Last