The iPad Page 205

• Page

of 244 First / Last

• Scurrminator 30 Jun 2012 15:57:13 8,411 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:
    Seems to work fine synced with my other devices and all my bookmark and password saves all work.

Better than all the others so far and I have tried just about all the browsers on the iPad.

Love the fact u can leave tabs open and then see them on the phone version or desktop version.
    It's good but I want bookmark folders at the top, not separate!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• RyanDS 30 Jun 2012 17:34:31 9,370 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just got my iPad and unpacked it. Downloaded some comic readers and went to move some CBR files from my Mac to the iPad.

Jesus Christ! What a fucking pain.

What has apple got against file structures and drag and drop? I can only transfer stuff via iTunes, and then each program (I downloaded 5 seperate readers to see which one I prefer) has to have the files copied to them seperately. I know Apple like their walled gardens and so on, but this is silly.
  • superdelphinus 30 Jun 2012 17:36:47 8,060 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    if you go to bbc news, and go to the wimbledon section in sport - does anyone else (uk based) have a roger federer rolex advert down the side? virgin media are due to upgrade our broadband this month and maybe they've assigned a new IP as part of the process and not told the bbc about it? annoying
  • Fab4 30 Jun 2012 18:02:48 6,077 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    Just got my iPad and unpacked it. Downloaded some comic readers and went to move some CBR files from my Mac to the iPad.

Jesus Christ! What a fucking pain.

What has apple got against file structures and drag and drop? I can only transfer stuff via iTunes, and then each program (I downloaded 5 seperate readers to see which one I prefer) has to have the files copied to them seperately. I know Apple like their walled gardens and so on, but this is silly.
    Get Dropbox
  • RyanDS 30 Jun 2012 18:48:04 9,370 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers Fab.

Anyone got any suggestions on games? Particularly point and click adventures, recently played broken sword and monkey island on my pc but want something on the iPad. Found Simon the sorcerer and beneath a steel sky for £2 each which is good, but what else do people recommend?
  • lucky_jim 30 Jun 2012 19:10:33 5,297 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @ryandsimmons
    Machinarium; Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery; the three Hector games; and any of the Telltale stuff you've not played elsewhere (they're on sale right now, Jurassic Park is the only shit series).
  • Kay 30 Jun 2012 19:16:15 17,888 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not sure if already mentioned, but everyone should try the interactive version of Edge magazine. There's a free sampler available, and it's rather slick.
  • RyanDS 30 Jun 2012 19:59:43 9,370 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Okay, I officially love the iPad. One of the main reasons I bought it was as a comic reader, my real life comic collection is just getting too large and I have no more room.

On the iPad the ones I have just transferred look fantastic and swiping / zooming is easy and intuitive.
  • FutileResistor 30 Jun 2012 20:03:40 1,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Point and Click Adventures?

Monkey Island 2 is £2.

Buy the LucasArts Adventure Pack on Steam.

Jailbreak your Ipad and install ScummVM. Indiana Jones and The Fate Of Atlantis is probably my favourite of those.

You must have heard of Day of The Tentacle and Sam and Max. They really should make those available to buy somewhere as well as Grim Fandango.

Not on Ipad but Ben There, Dan That (Free) and Time Gentleman Please! are brilliant takes on the classic Lucas Arts Adventures. Play after the LucasArts games for in-joke goodness.

Edited by FutileResistor at 20:07:58 30-06-2012
  • mrpon 1 Jul 2012 11:32:20 28,920 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Interesting [youtube] zsIJUiTlrGI[/youtube]

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• dominalien 1 Jul 2012 11:51:10 6,860 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is interesting.

PSN: DonOsito

• yegon 1 Jul 2012 12:43:43 5,273 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Almost bought that but was put off by the following video, 2:20 in;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7WqcRZaCv8&sns=em
  • mrpon 1 Jul 2012 12:55:29 28,920 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah that's a bit shitty, but 6 months battery is pretty tasty!

• RyanDS 1 Jul 2012 21:28:51 9,370 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FutileResistor wrote:
    Point and Click Adventures?

Monkey Island 2 is £2.

Buy the LucasArts Adventure Pack on Steam.

Jailbreak your Ipad and install ScummVM. Indiana Jones and The Fate Of Atlantis is probably my favourite of those.

You must have heard of Day of The Tentacle and Sam and Max. They really should make those available to buy somewhere as well as Grim Fandango.

Not on Ipad but Ben There, Dan That (Free) and Time Gentleman Please! are brilliant takes on the classic Lucas Arts Adventures. Play after the LucasArts games for in-joke goodness.
    To be honest over the years I think I have played every one around, it's just I can't remember them all.

Anyway, yesterday I finished Beneath a Steel Sky. Solid game, decent controls, pretty much as I remember it. I like the hint system, and it was nice to replay a game that I haven't played in nearly 20 years. - 7/10

Then I started Simon the Sorceror. Swiftly found that it was bug ridden and the controls barely work. Also it is much much more obtuse than I remember. Anyway, I pulled up gamefaqs and decided to blitz through anyway, as I have really fond memories. Finished that around lunch. Generally I found it overly long, and no where near as fun as I remember, and I am extremely impressed with my younger self for finishing it without cheating. Today I lost patience within 30 seconds of leaving gamefaqs and would never have even made a dent without it. - 4/10 (would be 6/10 without the bugs.)

But as I said upthread, the comics are the real star. So beautiful and wonderful! I have thousands of comics in boxes and i think I will donate them all to charity and just use the iPad going forward. I just don't have the space and the screen and resolution is a dream for them.
  • TOOTR 4 Jul 2012 04:28:19 9,566 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ryandsimmons Which comicbook reader you using dude? I've got comic zeal and it's fine - just curious...

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• RyanDS 4 Jul 2012 07:05:46 9,370 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @TOOTR
    I am using icomix. It does the job. To be honest I didn't look around too much. I found one that worked and have stuck to it.
  • monkman76 4 Jul 2012 08:45:01 4,266 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What are the downsides (if any) of the new ipad vs the ipad 2? In terms of the display, not worried about slight differences in weight or battery life. Do some things that aren't optimised for the retina display actually look worse on the new ipad?
  • mrpon 4 Jul 2012 09:02:53 28,920 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes. Icons and other such graphics that are not hi-res look more out of place and prominent due to the increased resolution. Over time these are being updated so no biggy. Personally, the crispness of the hi-res stuff overshadows the crappy looking stuff.

iPhone apps look pretty good scaled up.

PS: Prefer the weight and thickness of the 2.

• monkman76 4 Jul 2012 09:06:43 4,266 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What about browsing the web, is that generally better/worse/no different?
  • mrpon 4 Jul 2012 09:20:01 28,920 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If your browsing habits are more text based, then yes it's better from a crisp text point of view. Having used a 2 for a year my upgrade was mainly for reading reasons, Zinio, browsing, Flipboard etc..

Lots of factors to consider, if you're half blind it's a shit upgrade ;) go and check one out in person.

• dominalien 4 Jul 2012 09:33:09 6,860 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All this talk of adventures made me get BTTF Ep. 1 on my iPad (it's free right now). It looks awful and runs really, really slow (iPad 1 here). I like the game, though. It has lots of charm and is full of fan service. I'll definitely be playing it, but not on the iPad.

As for file management, install Ubuntu. It's much better for getting files on and off the iPad (I know you won't, of course) :-)

Edited by dominalien at 09:33:50 04-07-2012

• RyanDS 4 Jul 2012 12:10:20 9,370 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    All this talk of adventures made me get BTTF Ep. 1 on my iPad (it's free right now). It looks awful and runs really, really slow (iPad 1 here). I like the game, though. It has lots of charm and is full of fan service. I'll definitely be playing it, but not on the iPad.

As for file management, install Ubuntu. It's much better for getting files on and off the iPad (I know you won't, of course) :-)
    It's not the iPad. BttF looks shit and has a frame rate of 10fps max on the PS3 as well.
  • THFourteen 4 Jul 2012 12:35:28 33,428 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    after my experience of Sam n Max episode 1 on the ipad, and no update from telltale, i vowed never to buy a telltale ipad game again.

their engine is utterly terrible in terms of performance

and i dont understand it, they are all prerendered screens that you basically just click on, not battlefield 3 ffs
  • RyanDS 4 Jul 2012 12:41:37 9,370 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    after my experience of Sam n Max episode 1 on the ipad, and no update from telltale, i vowed never to buy a telltale ipad game again.

their engine is utterly terrible in terms of performance

and i dont understand it, they are all prerendered screens that you basically just click on, not battlefield 3 ffs
    I really don't get it. I had Sam & Max season 1? on my 360, and Monkey Island and Sam n Max season 2 on PS3. On both systems they run like absolute shit. Telltale have great writers and game designers, but the software guys who design / update the engine should be shot.
  • dominalien 4 Jul 2012 17:11:45 6,860 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For whatever it's worth, Tales of MI work fine on my Mac.

• Deleted user 4 July 2012 17:51:56
    Battlefield 3 was just prerendered cutscenes from what I remember of the single player.
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 4 Jul 2012 20:38:10 2,602 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @mrpon

Re Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard cover.

I've got one and if you can stomach the cost RRP £90 (got mine for £72 ish) they are very good.

My only criticism would be that the top row of keys are quite close to the screen so occasionally my finger brushes the screen when reaching for a top row key and it registers as a click on the screen to move the cursor.

In landscape mode the magnetic strength of the screen stand is very good - I could pick the whole thing up by the screen when in this position and shake it around without the screen detaching. Portrait mode is not so strong due to less area in contact with the mag strip.

Nice and light and doesn't add much to the thickness either (as shown in the video you linked).

Obviously it's only good if it's what you are looking for and not in the ipad + keyboard = get a netbook brigade.

I found a Logitech discount code on internet which worked fine and when I originally put it in my basket on the Logitech website and then tried to close the web page without buying a pop up offered me a further 5% discount. So try it with pop ups enabled on their site.

It does detach a bit easy when closed as shown in the review video but I dont carry mine round like that so it doesn't bother me.

I stick it in one of these -

nice snug case
    and chuck it in my case/bag.

Edited by ReGuRgIt8oR at 20:45:29 04-07-2012
  • mrpon 8 Jul 2012 19:24:17 28,920 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone charging their iPad 3 over USB3? I read a rumour some motherboards have USB slots that allow charging when the PC is off.

• mrpon 9 Jul 2012 15:53:22 28,920 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Slight workaround for this at the moment, downloaded this app for my motherboard and it's magically charging the iPad 3 now. Still need to tinker for shutdown charging.

http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/ai_charger/

• fletch7100 9 Jul 2012 17:53:10 7,319 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Enjoying using AV player HD. Plays all movie files without needing to convert through iTunes or any other converter. Does have slight problem with high bitrate MKV files. Will switch some of them to MP4, see how it handles them
  • Page

of 244 First / Last