The iPad Page 203

• Page

of 244 First / Last

• mrpon 19 May 2012 23:23:16 28,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AirAV has usurped AVPlayerHD for me.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• dancingrob 20 May 2012 16:54:13 1,156 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks

As well as the Monkey Islands and Broken Sword (which I've played before on the Amiga / PS1), what other adventure games are worth a look.

I've spotted Beneath a Steel Sky and Machinarium, neither of which I've played before, but are there any others people would recommend?
  • mrpon 20 May 2012 17:00:47 28,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Swords & Sworcery, for some retro lovelyness.

• Deleted user 20 May 2012 19:30:11
    Anyone remember the flawed gem from the nineties North & South?

http://toucharcade.com/link/http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/the-bluecoats-north-vs-south/id518019509?mt=8

I'm bloody tempted to fork out more than 69p for the second time ever.
  • HoriZon 20 May 2012 19:41:03 13,498 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Used to play that on the Atria ST a shit load :)

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• CharlieStCloud 20 May 2012 20:08:05 5,135 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Was really looking forward to LEGO Harry Potter (Years 5 - 7) however, for all it's charms and slightly better visuals, the main draw of the first LEGO Harry Potter was drawing the spells and being able to use the touch screen to guide Harry around and attack the baddies.

This one has a woeful d-pad stuck in the bottom left hand corner of the screen and makes everything too joyless and frustrating ... even the kids don't like playing it now!

Boo-hoo.

: (

On the other hand, Lost Winds: Winter Melody is just blissfully wonderful; makes me smile all the way through (thus far).

The best games of the year (so far) on the App store, in my opinion, are 'Beat Sneak Bandit', 'Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective' and 'Draw Something'.
  • Dr-Strangelove 20 May 2012 21:45:49 2,130 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CaptainQuint wrote:
    Anyone remember the flawed gem from the nineties North & South?

http://toucharcade.com/link/http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/the-bluecoats-north-vs-south/id518019509?mt=8

I'm bloody tempted to fork out more than 69p for the second time ever.
    This was a great game on the Amiga. I take it there is a single payer option? Anybody got this and care to give a review?
  • Blakester 21 May 2012 12:28:16 3,580 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loved North vs South on the ST, but the fort claiming sections were horrible.

I'd happily pay a few quid for this as long as it's not a d-pad conversion.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• binky Moderator 28 May 2012 11:10:43 9,466 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Does anyone else have issues with wifi on their iPad?
    It's really starting to piss me off, 3 times in a period of 30 minutes whilst sitting 20 feet away from the router is a bit much.
  • mrpon 28 May 2012 11:12:35 28,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's happening?

• THFourteen 28 May 2012 11:16:40 32,904 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    haven't had those issues with my ipad new, but with my ipad 2 i did have issues with my old (linksys) router.

Ended up doing a bunch of googling, trying various security protocols (WPA, WEP, WPA2 etc) and just buying a new router which solved the problem.
  • binky Moderator 28 May 2012 11:21:07 9,466 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's the iPad 2 that I have, I'm wondering if it just doesn't like my Sky router to be honest. I've also noticed that Sky have a new router available which I might take them up on. Maybe that will help!
  • mrpon 28 May 2012 11:27:10 28,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What are these mystical issues then?

• HoriZon 28 May 2012 11:48:34 13,498 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Issues with Wi-Fi is always the router, things to try reset your iPad network settings from the reset menu, give you iPad a fixed IP in your router by using LAN IP Setup you will need the iPad's MAC code as well.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• atomicjuicer 28 May 2012 11:58:01 299 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    A few app recommendations:

Xbox live, ebay, twitter, Appshopper, Onlive viewer (for gamers who like to watch!), iBooks, Ustream, Perfect cell, tiny wings, canabalt, mirrors edge, cat piano (stupid but fun), Skype, Dropbox, Marvel, 4oD catchup, Blueprint 3D HD, Netflix, Jaws revenge.
  • binky Moderator 28 May 2012 14:08:45 9,466 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sorry mrpon, the issue is that it just keeps dropping the Wifi connection at random.
  • mrpon 28 May 2012 14:16:21 28,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, no not had that on either the 2 or the 3. Other than what has been suggested, what about adjusting the wifi channel in the router? Or maybe you have other wifi networks on the periphery that it is trying to join? Open the Network section and walk around and see if it is joining another network that maybe you want to remove.

Also, you've updated to the latest firmware as well, v5.1.1?

Snooze you lose fab :)

Edited by mrpon at 14:18:28 28-05-2012

• Fab4 28 May 2012 14:16:48 5,980 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    binky wrote:
    Sorry mrpon, the issue is that it just keeps dropping the Wifi connection at random.
    Check what other routers are in your location. It could be that you are in the presence of an interferer. This could range from an other router to one of those streaming TV devices (these are ideal wifi jammers btw).

If possible, try to change the channel that your wifi is operating on.
  • binky Moderator 28 May 2012 15:34:39 9,466 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have changed the channel a few days ago but hasn't made much difference. Quite a few (5 I think) other routers are easily picked up on both the ipad and our iphones, but all weaker than the home router.
  • lucky_jim 31 May 2012 09:52:55 5,260 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm so fucking livid with my iPad right now. A sync fail, for no discernible reason, has caused my 64gb iPad 2 to be wiped of everything, but still show as "full" with the whole capacity taken as "other".

It seems the only way to fix this is to do a complete restore to factory settings. Which would be a pain in the arse by itself, never mind the fact that it's got everything on there that I needed for a busy day's language teaching, from lesson plans to audio files and everything in between, on there. I've been working on it since 5 in the morning, now I've got to leave in twenty minutes to start 7 hours of teaching and I have absolutely fucking nothing. Fuck.

I feel like throwing all my Apple gear out of the window right now. iTunes is such a fucking piece of shit.
  • elstoof 31 May 2012 10:47:02 6,660 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why are you still synching to iTunes?
  • Tonka 31 May 2012 11:37:26 20,028 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Why are you still synching to iTunes?
    Is there a way to move files to the iPad without the syncing nightmare?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deleted user 31 May 2012 11:39:23
    Manually manage / drag and drop like a normal person? :D
  • Tonka 31 May 2012 12:27:14 20,028 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That is what I do but as soon as I plug my iPad in iTunes start syncing Apps. I turned that off last time but to no avail.

I suck at iTunes though... from now on I will only stream stuff from my network.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deleted user 31 May 2012 15:36:17
    Go to the apps tab and turn off app syncing.
  • CharlieStCloud 31 May 2012 18:26:59 5,135 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tonka, you are NOT alone.

I surprise myself just how much I intensely dislike iTunes.

It is inconceivably poor from a company that produces excellent hardware; the fruity company got one thing right and the other shocking not right.

Fuck iTunes ... : (
  • lucky_jim 31 May 2012 20:11:01 5,260 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, I managed to successfully bluff my way through the day (I'm quite impressed with myself if I'm honest, I'm pretty sure nobody suspected a thing), I'm gonna hold off on trying to sort my iPad out until the morning. But yeah... fuck iTunes. It's so overdue a completely fresh start, they need to separate out the various stores and basically make it much less mental. I'm surprised Apple are still willing to be associated with the temperamental bloatware it's become.
  • THFourteen 31 May 2012 20:37:30 32,904 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was all anti iTunes before I moved to android. After five minutes with Kies which is a pile of shit, discovering you had to root your phone if you wanted to do a backup, irritation having to set up Dropbox to do a backup that's not on your phone (utterly pointless place to put a backup), and then discovering that even after you do that if you upgrade from one major firmware to another (think iOS 4 to 5) then you will lose most of your system settings and data regardless

iTunes may be irritating when it doesn't work for you, but fuck me it's better than the alternative
  • lucky_jim 31 May 2012 21:07:02 5,260 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've not tried the alternative, as I've been using Apple stuff for a while, so you may well be right. I just feel like it should be so much better.
  • spindizzy 31 May 2012 21:19:03 6,428 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It should be, I agree. There's rumoured to be a massive project within Apple to re-write iTunes. Apparently it's been re-started a few times, which might explain the delay.

I'm amazed at how much nicer it is to use, for example, Instacast than iTunes when it comes to podcasts. It's just crazy that I have two macs, with the same content on both, and yet my iPhone goes nuts if I plug it in the wrong one. Just fucking sync it all across everything Apple! I'm sure it's coming with iCloud etc but it's seriously overdue.
  • Page

of 244 First / Last