Ubisoft insisting on net connection, as DRM replacement

• Page

of 14 First / Last

Previous
  • Machetazo 26 Jan 2010 13:42:46 6,372 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ubi account or bust in future.
    No disc needed in the drive to play, and your saves are stored remotely on Ubisoft's servers.

Settlers 7 - trailer - is to be the first of Ubisoft's titles to require accounts to be logged in to, in order to play.
  • Cappy 26 Jan 2010 13:45:01 12,117 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not liking the idea of saves stored remotely, I guess it could be lived with as long as there are assurances that they'll never be deleted to punish users.
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Jan 2010 13:45:44 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "Buy our DLC or the saves get it!"
  • jellyhead 26 Jan 2010 13:47:28 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Consider me out if they do this unless they have an offline mode like Steam does.

oh yeah, link fail.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Jazzy_Geoff 26 Jan 2010 13:56:42 7,782 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    yuck
  • AaronTurner 26 Jan 2010 14:00:28 7,886 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It is a far, far better idea than having a disc in the drive or using DRM in my opinion.

I'm still waiting for the day when vouchers for games are sold in shops instead of CD's, reckon it could be headed that way soon. I'd imagine it's cheaper to offer a download package than to manufacture a load of CD's, pamphlets, boxes etc.
  • THFourteen 26 Jan 2010 14:02:57 34,468 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    as long as they allow an "offline mode" like steam does.

what happens if i take my lappy on holiday and i cant play my games!
  • spindizzy 26 Jan 2010 14:05:34 6,610 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    See the ME2 thread for why I have sympathy for publishers.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 26 Jan 2010 14:12:00 7,782 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    It is a far, far better idea than having a disc in the drive or using DRM in my opinion.

well it's fine until that inevitable moment when, for whatever reason, your internet is not available and you want to play a game. Then you will be ready to kill a man.
  • jellyhead 26 Jan 2010 14:13:04 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All of it? Can't you just post a quote? I have sympathy for publishers but as a consumer if a product requires services i do not want then they don't get my cash. There's plenty of other games to play.

• cianchristopher 26 Jan 2010 14:15:04 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The game'll be pirated. All pc games will be pirated. All of them. Every... Single... One...

All PC games will be pirated...

All of them...

Every... Single... One...

So, wht's the point?
  • jellyhead 26 Jan 2010 14:17:58 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just another time where i'm being treated like a suspected criminal for buying something legitimately. It's not going to dent piracy figures one iota might even nudge them up a bit.

I can understand if it's an MMO but a single player game? Sod 'em.

• spindizzy 26 Jan 2010 14:20:59 6,610 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    All of it? Can't you just post a quote? I have sympathy for publishers but as a consumer if a product requires services i do not want then they don't get my cash. There's plenty of other games to play.

Just loads of people were playing ME2 before it's been released. And of course all games get pirated, but if the pirated version has a big flaw (like not saving games - and fixing THAT is substantially more work for the pirates) then a lot more people will buy it.
  • DFawkes 26 Jan 2010 14:30:29 24,047 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I only have 2 Ubi PC games, both of them for the very specific purpose of playing when my Internet goes down. Hopefully disc still in drive should work for offline people.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• K-Project 26 Jan 2010 14:55:07 375 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    The game'll be pirated. All pc games will be pirated. All of them. Every... Single... One...

All of them...

So, wht's the point?

I do think we're at that tipping point where legitimate customers are being rounded on and may move to piracy. I myself have never owned a pirate PC game (believe it or not), but have been frustrated with having to sign up for Steam and GFWL and whatever services I'll never use. I would definitely consider a dodgy copy now if it meant not having to do this. All I want is the game I paid for, not the extra bullshit.
  • jellyhead 26 Jan 2010 15:23:52 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    jellyhead wrote:

Just loads of people were playing ME2 before it's been released. And of course all games get pirated, but if the pirated version has a big flaw (like not saving games - and fixing THAT is substantially more work for the pirates) then a lot more people will buy it.
    ... or it will make them think the game is rubbish and not buy it if they were trying it before purchase or they were never going to buy it anyway if they are pirates.

Hassling legitimate customers doesn't win you a consumer following.

• Jazzy_Geoff 26 Jan 2010 15:43:35 7,782 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What should the PC game people do then?

Genuine question: If they DRM stuff or pull stunts like this they piss off legitimate customers and possibly push them into piracy and even then people still pirate their game but if they don't do any of that they get ripped of to an even greater extent. So what do they do?
  • Deleted user 26 January 2010 15:44:29
    Hack it, Pirate it.
  • Deleted user 26 January 2010 15:46:11
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    What should the PC game people do then?

Genuine question: If they DRM stuff or pull stunts like this they piss off legitimate customers and possibly push them into piracy and even then people still pirate their game but if they don't do any of that they get ripped of to an even greater extent. So what do they do?

LOWER THE PRICES

etc

/goto 10
  • Deleted user 26 January 2010 15:46:12
    cianchristopher wrote:

All of them...

So, wht's the point?

No anti-piracy solution is commited to stopping 100% of piracy on a title, it's commited to stopping it for as long as possible, rendering the 0/1-day impact (statistically where they'd take a bigger hit from casual pirates) null.
  • cianchristopher 26 Jan 2010 15:48:06 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, but it's pointless.

Just release the games without any form of DRM and see, sales won't massively plummet.
  • Deleted user 26 January 2010 15:50:49
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Yeah, but it's pointless.

Just release the games without any form of DRM and see, sales won't massively plummet.

It isn't pointless.

A sizeable proportion of pirates are casual types who would torrent a new title if they saw it available, but buy it otherwise if there were no working versions.

This, specifically, is what anti-piracy and DRM is looking to prevent.
  • jellyhead 26 Jan 2010 15:52:05 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Add value to the product not remove customer's rights. Pre-Orders, DLC, stong communities, free content packs during the course of the game's life, treating consumers like customers not thieves. I've bought 2 ubi games recently and both have needed patching that has never come. Start patching your products Ubi and i'll start buying them again. Support me and i'll support you but releasing paid-for DLC before patching the game to a workable state is bullshit. I'm looking at you Far Cry 2. Tearing piece of badly designed buggy effluvium.

• Ravenger 26 Jan 2010 21:54:10 190 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well that's Ubisoft games off my purchase list then. Having spent the better part of two months with a totally unreliable broadband connection I know that having mandatory internet connections for a single player game is unacceptable.

Not everyone has 100% reliable and fast broadband, even in the UK.
  • Deleted user 26 January 2010 22:04:59
    http://support.uk.ubi.com/online-services-platform/
  • Pirotic Moderator 26 Jan 2010 22:08:27 20,647 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    the 'no cd crack' is soon going to be replaced with a 'no ubisoft bollocks' crack then?
  • Bennicus 27 Jan 2010 10:58:13 44 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What will happen if I lose my Internet connection when I play the game?
    If you lose your Internet connection the game will pause while it tries to reconnect. If the Internet Connection is unable to resume you can continue the game from where you left off or from the last saved game.

No offline mode, this is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, and you can bet there will still be cracked torrents out well before the official release. Here is the patented bennicus solution number 1:

1. buy game full of ubisoft diseases
    2. download & install the same crack the pirates use
    3. no ubisoft diseases

or bennicus solution number 2 (my personal favourite):

1. buy something else instead
    2. no ubisoft diseases

edit:
    Why is Ubisoft forcing their loyal customers to sign up for a Ubisoft account when they don't want to give their private data and only play single player games?
    We hope that customers will feel as we do, that signing up for an account will offer them exceptional gameplay and services that are not available otherwise.
    Hah, it seems they already know it's a bunch of arse :p Yeah signing up for services I'm not interested in and not being able to play the games on my laptop when I'm away from an internet connection really is "exceptional gameplay".
  • Page

of 14 First / Last

Previous