Resistance 3 Page 3

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• FunkeeFresh 18 Aug 2010 02:18:10 15 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone else think the trailer looks a bit left 4 dead??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbkXTSs3bvU
  • Progguitarist 18 Aug 2010 02:20:34 10,413 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FunkeeFresh wrote:
    Anyone else think the trailer looks a bit left 4 dead??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbkXTSs3bvU

I think it'll be a L4D alike, yes.
  • Deleted user 18 August 2010 02:26:34
    Rauha wrote:
    Here's the teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbkXTSs3bvU

Could pass as a Left 4 dead 3 trailer :s

A bit disappointed. That was the direction they should have gone with more in the second, Hale and a bunch of troops moving through towns of hybrids without the silly giant monsters. Now it looks they've just gone for a carbon copy, even the token black guy and woman. Wish they'd stuck with the R:FoM tone and worked with that. : (
  • DUFFMAN5 18 Aug 2010 06:45:05 14,529 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really enjoyed the 2nd game. I know a lot of you Resistance vets do not much care for it, but for me it was a lot of fun. I have yet to try the first game (I came to the ps3 party late) I should pick up. I will defo be watching with interest.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• presh 18 Aug 2010 08:57:28 1,221 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Duffman:

You realy should play the first one, which is nice and cheap these days. Compared to R2 there's probably less variation, but that's a good thing - the story does keep you engaged, and the difficulty curve is really well done. There are some good set-pieces too - I still love the battle in the cathedral about halfway through.

R2 was OK, but for many people who had enjoyed R1 but wanted some extra stuff like co-op and levels which were not all grey and brown, it was a dissapointment, as it seemed to veer too far from what made R1 good. Personally, I found R2 way too easy, and the story didn't engage.

I really hope R3 gets the mix right, as otherwise it'll be the end of this franchise.
  • Widge Moderator 18 Aug 2010 09:11:21 13,402 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    H1 reminded me of HalfLife 2 which has had its art assets corrputed by Day Of Defeat.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• CosmicFuzz 18 Aug 2010 09:12:29 23,752 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I found the first one dull and boring as hell. Really had to force myself to finish it. Got about halfway through the second and gave up. Probably won't bother with this either.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• Widge Moderator 18 Aug 2010 09:16:51 13,402 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And thus why R1 reminded me of Halflife 2

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Progguitarist 18 Aug 2010 11:14:21 10,413 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Any word on Move Support?

I'd say its a guarantee to be honest.
  • DUFFKING 18 Aug 2010 23:09:21 7,185 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished resistance 2... final word: amazed it got such high scores across the board. Thought it was absolutely dreadful from start to finish.
  • Collymilad 19 Aug 2010 02:07:13 1,266 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    QotSAfan wrote:
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Dan (Dead Space = 7, Resistance 2 = 9) Whitehead has shown himself to be the least reliable reviewer here on EG as a result...

Thought both his reviews there were spot on. Actually, I would have rated Dead Space lower.

Wow.
  • King_Edward 19 Aug 2010 02:20:39 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dead Space was pretty dull. There's no excuse for liking R2 though.
  • Deleted user 19 August 2010 08:41:18
    @DUFFKING
    18 Aug '10 23:09:21

Just finished resistance 2... final word: amazed it got such high scores across the board. Thought it was absolutely dreadful from start to finish.

While i too was dissapointed in R2 compared to R1 i cant help bt noticing that you seem to have a downer on a lot of ps3 's major titles (your comments on uncharted 2 spring to mind)

There is nothing dreadful about R2, it is a perfectly playable and reasonably polished title if a little average in all departments, i hop that they either go back to the core of the original (in europe would be nice but the trailer suggest it wont be) or do as some suggested, and make this like L4D with chimera!
  • King_Edward 19 Aug 2010 11:24:54 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Being "perfectly playable" doesn't stop a game being dreadful. Great control + Shit all else = Piss poor game.

I seem to remember having the exact same discussion about Gears 2 a few days ago.
  • DUFFKING 24 Aug 2010 12:41:03 7,185 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    djronz wrote:
    @DUFFKING
    18 Aug '10 23:09:21

While i too was dissapointed in R2 compared to R1 i cant help bt noticing that you seem to have a downer on a lot of ps3 's major titles (your comments on uncharted 2 spring to mind)

There is nothing dreadful about R2, it is a perfectly playable and reasonably polished title if a little average in all departments, i hop that they either go back to the core of the original (in europe would be nice but the trailer suggest it wont be) or do as some suggested, and make this like L4D with chimera!

My comments on Uncharted 2 were that I found the combat somewhat lacking in the closing stages. I love the rest of the game, it's excellent. I only played through it the first time when I borrowed it from a mate, but I enjoyed it enough to order both the first and second one for myself. I think that's the only one I've been negative about though, I only have Blur, NGS, Killzone 2, God of War 3/Collection and Wipeout otherwise anyway.

And I stand by my comments on this game :p It makes the original Doom look sophisticated. I've got no problem with brainless corridor shooters, I loved Quake 4 for instance, but I hated R2. The first R3 trailer has me reasonably hopeful though.
  • Deleted user 24 August 2010 17:46:32
    King_Edward wrote:
    Being "perfectly playable" doesn't stop a game being dreadful. Great control + Shit all else = Piss poor game.

I seem to remember having the exact same discussion about Gears 2 a few days ago.

very true...thats why i actually said...

"it is a perfectly playable AND reasonably polished title if a little average in all departments"

its my opinion, to say it is piss poor is a bit strong, there are many, many....MANY games that are far worse than R2, its just that there are many better too.

I would really like to see r3 change direction and go for a L4D style game though, either that or bring it back to the originals uk setting and core gameplay elements ( main game split screen co op included )
  • King_Edward 24 Aug 2010 17:51:08 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So you did. Sorry.
  • Ducklord 31 Aug 2010 20:00:30 190 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd really like to see it go back to the style of the first, and really hope the third journeys to Russia where the Chimera originated.
  • drumbaby 31 Aug 2010 21:08:50 2,688 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    R2 was great except for the 2-weapons-only thing...WHHYYYYYYYYYY?????!!!! :(

At one point in SP I died after picking up a weapon conveniently left for the task at hand...then when I came back earlier in the level I conveniently already had the weapon. Contrived. Intensely annoying, especially when the R1 weapon system was close to being perfect.

Online is where it really shone though. But they have to support the co-op side of things with DLC next time around.

I hope R3 is a mix of R1+R2, with the sort of graphical optimisation I take for granted from first party titles this far into the PS3's life cycle.
  • Scimarad 1 Sep 2010 20:51:58 8,536 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've said R2 is crap compared to R:FoM plenty of times in the past but I played all the way through R2 last week and really enjoyed it. I'm not sure why the change of heart but It's probably because I was judging it on it's own merits rather than getting pissed off at the weapon thing or the lack of story co-op...

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to R3 now, whatever it turns out to be.

I notice someone mentioned crap textures a while back. Strangely enough, one of the things I really noticed on playing R2 was how awesome the skin textures were on the Chimera for a console game. I'd say they were a long way from crap, though there were plenty of dubious ones in other areas.
  • Progguitarist 28 Sep 2010 18:20:06 10,413 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    New screens
  • VandelayIndustries 28 Sep 2010 19:35:41 1,523 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looking good!

I've got a good feeling about this one. Really think they'll nail it this time.
  • Deleted user 29 September 2010 02:30:36
    Does look good, though doesn't seem to sync with the trailer shown a while back. I'm hoping they've gone back to the R:FoM style. Could be wrong but that looks like the protagonist from the PSP version.
  • Deleted user 13 October 2010 03:03:05
    New info:

Then Resistance:
    - They recap R2
    - Capelli started a family with Susan (Hale's Stepsister)
    - Their son is sick so Capelli has to go to New York to get an anti-virus
    - Malikov LIVES!!
    - They confirm co-op campaign (Capelli, Malikov, & John Harper [Capelli's partner]) are key characters (but no alternate story co-op like R2)
    - They describe a couple scenes (some related to the leaked images)
    - One of the multiplayer maps is in an African Prison
    - Chimeran Plant Life (that explodes when shot) shows that the world is changing
    - Describes some boat scenes from the campaign
    - Talk about the new smarter AI (climb over walls, and through windows and stuff)
    - Long legs jumping from roof to roof shooting down at you
    - The Mutator:
    A new weapon that shoots biological mist that causes boils and stuff on the enemy and then makes them pop hurting the other nearby enemies
    Secondary fire makes them go insane and attack their buddies
    - Other Weapons:
    Bullseye, Magnum, Shotgun, Auger, carbine are all back... and all weapons are upgradable as you use them more and more
    Weapons are also made to look more improvised so... grenades are shaped like food cans full of nails and such...
    - Online was talked about but not much is known yet:
    it says they wanna make it more organized and not a cluster like the 60 player matches in R2
    - Also Ted Price handed the reigns to Marcus Smith to do alot of the other work
    - Humans eating humans cuz lack of food... NICE!

Story:
    Basically Capelli is trying to get the Hale Vaccine which was made by Malikov from Hale's blood... the vaccine may cure the chimeran virus... Capelli is doing this to save his son so he goes with Malikov to New York, St. Louis, etc. They also have no more gas so everything needs to be run off of Chimeran Energy cores which have to be stolen from chimeran ships...

Didn't like Capelli or Malikov in 2 but at least there is some kind of story.
  • King_Edward 13 Oct 2010 06:29:58 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm bored already.
  • Rauha 13 Oct 2010 08:52:24 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The story sounds quite interesting, and \o/ for campaign co-op.
  • Machetazo 23 Oct 2010 10:09:34 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Joseph Capelli and the rest of the surviving human population are living in a world ruled by the Chimera. The military has been destroyed and factories are derelict, so expertly crafted firearms are an almost nonexistent rarity. In this brutal environment, survivors who still have fight in them must cobble together their own weaponry to blast away the Hybrids, Long Legs, and Window Makers threatening their daily life.
    Things just ain't the same for... survivors of the Chimeran bombardment. Game Informer took a look at some of the changes made to popular weapons, for the latest game.

Nice details, Kenshin. :)
    /must return to R2, /has no idea who Capelli is :(
  • Deleted user 1 November 2010 03:31:23
    More details courtesy of a poster on GAF:

- Capelli is now a gunslinger and a marksman
    - He wants to protect his wife and child
    - "Exit New Haven, death journey to New York City, but first get rid of the six-eyed in the mineshaft"
    - The game isn't ready with the basic outlines, gun sounds are off, the HUD is still very empty, gun designs aren't finished yet..
    - They haven't decided if they want health packs (RFOM) or a "classic healthbar"
    - Aiming is easier due to Iron Sights
    - Upgrade system is implemented to urge players to use the different guns
    - But Resistance isn't going anywhere near Call of Duty, they want it to be a "sandbox experience for guncrazy shooterfans"
    - There will be new guns, but haven't been showed yet
    - Carbine, Auger and the Hedgehog grenade are back
    - Last 6 months in development will be to polish the games graphics and presentation
    - You won't be able to play in a vehicle, but there is a big chance you'll sit in the passenger seat with a big gun (like the boat from the screens), and a little hint is dropped at a Goliath sequence

- Players constantly need to get the feeling they're being haunted and aren't safe anywhere
    - There's a level where Capelli is walking through a ripped up roadrestaurant, a Chimeran searchrobot looks through the windows with lightflashes. You have to take shelter behind a dinner table, a couple meters in front of you is a mother protecting her crying child. Every movement can alarm the Chimeran deathmachinee.
    - A bit after the above written part you will take a self-dug tunnel to a bowling store where the local resistance is waiting for you.
    - They worked hard on NPC animation as they said fans thought previous NPC's were looking fake/bad
    - There is a part where an ally is blocking a nailed down window with his gun when suddenly a Chimera punches through the wood and grabs him by the throat and drags him out of the window, a firefight breaks out, Capelli hands out headshots with his Carbine while going to the roof. Once he gets there he sees a four-legged Stalker coming right up, nothing a well placed "EMP-grenade" and a fully loaded Auger can't handle.

- Capelli also visits Pennsylvania
    - The last survivors are hiding there in a torn up school which serves as a safety house, a place for food and a place to give people a good mood. (wtf) Capelli sees a little girl ccrying over her fathers dead body, the towns fool plays a song on a Chimera-skull-turned-into-instrument, and in the corner is a basket filled with chopped Leaper-meat. The cook grabs a piece of Leaper meat, drops it in a bowl of soup and then eats it up.
    - In your journey to New York you will see the less kind side of humans, those aspects, as dark as they may be will also be shown.
    - 8 player co-op is out because the lead game designer didn't want to spread the team so much. The multiplayers biggest assignment? Not to copy Modern Warfare!
    - The African Prison is located in Tjaad, probably not translated right on my part, but I think it was known already anyway..
    - Another short level description: Capelli is on a small boat with Malikov in a swamp where there used to be an American city. In an attempt to get rid of the enemies they civilians decided to flood the city. Only the rooftops are above water. While hearing survivors ask about missing relatives on the radio Capelli sees the head of a huge monster through the fog. Out of the rotting flesh (magazine doesn't specify who's flesh) come tens of 4-legged who jump like face huggers towards the boat to try and eat Capelli's face.
    - A while later: Malikov & Capelli traded their small boat for a larger boat and they drive past a motel. The Christmas lightning reveals this disaster has just played out before the advent of Santa. Suddenly the camera zooms in on a big ugly Grim who is eating a victim. The Grim, interrupted by the boat, turns around and yells at Capelli. The Grims look even more agressive then ever. Just like the Long Legs, a new Chimera breed who, thanks to their metal legs are the perfect fit for this fight. A Grim misses the boat and breaks his skull against the side of the boat. The remaining Grims meet the explosive ammo Capelli shoots out of the barrel of his gun. A bit later the boat stops because it hits frozen tubes which tower above the water, and Capelli has to defend the boat against a wave of Chimera variations. The weather is looking pretty winter-ish for a summer trip, which according to the guy they're interviewing is part of the Chimera's "secret weapon"
    - The boat has has reached a big river and it drives under the first of 2 red bridges. The music reveals the presence of the Chimera. The peacefull setting is interrupted when suddenly 2 yellow eyes look through the fog, and a giant outline shows up in the distance. The Goliath, which had tried to squash Hale on multiple occasions in R2, has gotten a growth hormon en it towers above the bridges. Its mechanic legs easily destroy the furthest bridge and it's being accompenied by a group of Drones and squadron Chimera. A couple of eathquakes later it also destroys the second bridge with its metal claw, and its claw lands just next to Capelli's boat. This is just as impressive as the train level from Uncharted 2 and the Titan fight in Gow of War III, but it's also that much more frightening due to the size of the Goliath and the superb atmosphere IG creates.

A little info on the trailer debut/teaser trailer:
    - It had atmosphere but it wasn't what the interviewer saw at the IG studio.
    - It was a symbolic trailer
    - They wanted to show R3 was a style breach or something (hard to translate, I don't even know what it means in Dutch lol)
    - The art director has traded in the graypallete for more color (huh, R2 all over again?)
    - The style is called Kodachrome
    - When an old picture losees its color you get a nostalgic look, and that visual effect is what they're trying to get in the game everywhere with "postprocessing effects"
    - It's 1 way of staying away from the many COD clones..

Dunno about anyone else but I'm really liking the direction they're taking it. Hope it lives up to the expectations.

@Machetazo, I'd give R2 a play through if you can rent/borrow a copy or get it super cheap. It was a letdown for me but it's decent.

• Page

of 16 First / Last