Just keep running for that bit.
  • Progguitarist 24 Apr 2012 17:54:46 10,441 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just keep running for that bit.
  • kimchibaka 29 Apr 2012 13:55:31 51 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I finished 3 a little bit back - didn't think it was a patch on 1 (especially the uniquely-atmospheric SP) or 2 (decent SP, excellent co-op).

There were some good set-pieces and a couple of excellent sequences but it felt like quite a rushed and skimpy SP compared to the others, and didn't have the epic battles I expected. A 6 or 7/10 for me - disappointing.
  • King_Edward 29 Apr 2012 14:39:51 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought the first two were dire. I wouldn't have bothered with R3 at all if a mate hadn't have lent it me first.

Edited by King_Edward at 14:40:08 29-04-2012
  • Triggerhappytel 29 Apr 2012 15:01:32 2,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think R3 is a very deliberately different type of game though - whereas 1 & 2 were supposed to be about mankind's war against this 'alien' race, R3 was about one man's journey to save his family. I really liked the sombre tone and against-all-odds feel of it, and I only really started to appreciate that on my second playthrough.

I don't remember R1 all that well, but I really enjoyed both sequels. R3 definitely has the edge out of the two though.
  • gammonbanter 17 Jul 2012 21:05:25 1,499 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deleting the game data is a real bore! Just finished this, I for one am glad there was no tedious boss fight at the end. Nice game - shame there are no sequels in the pipe line!?

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• DUFFMAN5 17 Jul 2012 21:11:22 14,693 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm looking to getting this. Just got another ps3. I played the second and around an hour or so of R3 before I got rid of my last ps3.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• gammonbanter 17 Jul 2012 21:15:00 1,499 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's worth a play through - some anoyings bits but balanced out by the better parts! Only about an 8 hour sp game, which I lke sometimes actually.

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• King_Edward 17 Jul 2012 21:33:13 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    I'm looking to getting this.Just got another ps3. I played the second and around an hour or so of R3 before I got rid of my last ps3.
    How many is that now? :)
  • DUFFMAN5 17 Jul 2012 23:16:14 14,693 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @King_Edward

...I know, I know...

• hilts 17 Jul 2012 23:24:08 125 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have only been playing this recently , about 2/3rds off the way through , really enjoying it , am impressed by how they changed the style / tone of the game to the 2nd one (which I also thought) was great , more sequels should do this!
  • Deleted user 5 September 2012 15:43:56
    Really enjoying this (at the prison bit). I liked 1 alot, but two for me was a bit of a bore. But this is really clicking with me. Its the old school game design for me that makes it. Medi packs! really adds to the tension, a couple of times i've been close to death and have had to use tactics to ensure i survive till i can pick up some health.

Also the variety of guns against enemies is great. alot of fun. Love the sombre tone, but the story is still a bit flat. but the general atmosphere is fantastic and really involving.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2012 20:24:12
    How long does it take to clear the ruddy install data from this?

It's being deleting it for around 20 minutes now.
  • King_Edward 5 Nov 2012 21:01:39 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I had to reset two or three times. It really doesn't want deleting.
  • DUFFMAN5 31 Jan 2013 11:33:34 14,693 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just started playing and it is excellent. The tone,atmosphere is spot on. Reminds me of Fallout. Very bleak. Only on chapter 2 but I can see me really enjoying. I thought the 2nd game was good as well. But not many people seem to agree with that.

• Progguitarist 31 Jan 2013 11:43:57 10,441 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh man, wait till you get some of the later weapons.

So fun!
  • DUFFKING 31 Jan 2013 12:45:23 7,264 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I loved this game, which I find particularly strange given that R2 is one of the worst games I've ever played.
  • King_Edward 31 Jan 2013 12:50:20 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DUFFKING wrote:
    I loved this game, which I find particularly strange given that R2 is one of the worst games I've ever played.
    Hard to believe it's the same people. It's like Star Wars vs the Prequels.
  • -cerberus- 18 Feb 2013 04:15:42 2,877 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So, gentlemen, I'd like to get into this series. Which of the three should I give a priority?

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• chessboxer 18 Feb 2013 04:22:20 250 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    So, gentlemen, I'd like to get into this series. Which of the three should I give a priority?
    Play them in order if you want to understand the story properly.
  • -cerberus- 18 Feb 2013 04:32:38 2,877 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I would but I'm just looking for something to keep me busy for about a month until Bioshock Infinite lands in my mailbox. So only one game will suffice. Which Resistance campaign offers the most variety, thrills & scares?

• muttler 18 Feb 2013 05:30:44 4,038 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    I would but I'm just looking for something to keep me busy for about a month until Bioshock Infinite lands in my mailbox. So only one game will suffice. Which Resistance campaign offers the most variety, thrills & scares?
    I've not played RFOM, but R2 was rubbish.  Resistance 3 however is awesome, I'd very much recommend it, especially the campaign.
  • Phattso Moderator 18 Feb 2013 06:00:49 13,342 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I played the first two to completion and maybe half of the third before my PS3 died and I elected not to replace it.

The first was always a flawed gem, and the second an atrocity. The third is easily the better game - had a real Half Life 2 feel to some of the levels and the way it told its story. Really enjoyed it, and was sorry never to have completed it.
  • Andee 18 Feb 2013 06:36:38 681 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not played 3, but I'd certainly rate the 1st over the 2nd.

The mechanics may have felt dated even at release, but at least they got they the story and atmosphere somewhat right. I've mostly forgot the specifics of what made the 2nd awful compared to the first, but it was all story and plot stuff. The mechanics in the 2nd are superior to 1st, but still not as good as some other fps, so as result it somewhat loses its identity to an extent.
  • Aretak 18 Feb 2013 06:53:14 10,354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I must be the only person on the planet who really liked Resistance 2 and thought the original was shite. Both had excellent multiplayer though, although I think the servers might be gone at this point.
  • DUFFMAN5 18 Feb 2013 07:21:45 14,693 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    I completed 3 a couple of weeks back.
    Go for 3...I have it for trade ;-)

Excellent and full of lovely guns with alt fire.
    Atmosphere is spot on as well.
    I also really enjoyed R2 as well.
    Whatever you choose I'm sure you will have fun

• Phattso Moderator 18 Feb 2013 08:41:30 13,342 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    R2 was really ropey in places though. It had some visuals that looked like pre-alpha placeholders, and some really obvious and avoidable difficulty spikes, and some really tedious levels.

The first wasn't perfect, but it was at least a consistent experience that ramped up toward the end. The second was too uneven to enjoy. That said, I did at least finish it for whatever that's worth.
  • Scimarad 18 Feb 2013 08:58:16 8,549 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RFOM was my favourite in the series, though I'd take 3 over 2. 3 was pretty fun (and had proper Co-Op + Weapon Wheel returned!) but I thought the ending did a good job of spoiling the series if you were remotely interested in the story. The Chimera had pretty much won but then they suddenly lost? It's like you're watching The Road and it ends with the sun coming out and the birds singing!

R2 did improve a lot on a second play so I think they're all pretty decent. I just prefer the atmosphere in RFOM and the fact that it's set in England. You get to America in R2 and it's all skies full of massive fleets of huge ships and monsters the size of Godzilla...the whole thing feels a bit overblown. R3 seems to be a pretty good balance between the best bits of both games.
  • -cerberus- 18 Feb 2013 13:04:21 2,877 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Alright, I found a cheap used copy of R3 on ebay and bought it on impulse before I got the chance of reading the feedback on here. Looks like I made the right choice.

I'm just curious, what went wrong with R2 precisely?

• Scimarad 18 Feb 2013 13:16:37 8,549 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not really sure I'd say it went wrong, as such. It was more that it had a different feel to it. It did certain things like limiting you to a couple of weapons rather than using the weapon wheel system. Also, they ditched the campaign co-op and split-screen system in favour of a different mission based co-op game.

It's definitely more OTT than RFOM, which felt like war was already over.
  • Page

of 16 First / Last