Resistance 3 Page 2

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• Flying_Pig 25 Jan 2010 10:58:46 10,859 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    I liked Resistance 2. It wasn't amazing, but I thought it was a good, solid FPS with good enemies, epic set-pieces and excellent weaponry. I would probably give it a 7/10 for the single-player alone, and maybe another point for the online modes. To be honest, I didn't think much of the EXP grindfest co-op modes; I would rather they either make the campaign good for co-op or make actual co-op only missions.

Looking forward to the third game though; not least of all for the plot.

I'll agree with this. Quite enjoyed it, with some good chapters. I mean, it's not like it's as bad as Haze is it?
  • cianchristopher 25 Jan 2010 11:01:43 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They shouldn't bother with this - the first game stood out as being the only decent launch title, the second game was shown up for being the shite that it was by Killzone 2, FEAR 2, Halo 3, Gears of War 1&2, Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty: WaW, and basically every 1st/3rd person shooter out there...

Dan (Dead Space = 7, Resistance 2 = 9) Whitehead has shown himself to be the least reliable reviewer here on EG as a result...
  • cianchristopher 25 Jan 2010 11:12:07 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wouldn't say "pinpont accurate AI" as that implies that there is some AI where there is none...

Making it so that the enemy only targets the player, and not the companion NPCs (at any time), and making it so that the bullets are unrealitically accurate (and can shoot through walls) implies no intelligence at all, as intelligence makes it realistic, not ridiculous..
  • Stegofreak 26 Jan 2010 19:46:36 57 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For anyone who has said that R2 sucked because there was too much time spent on one mode over the other should note that all three modes were developed by different teams and were then combined into one game with tweaks so that they all controlled the same.

Regarding the series itself I absolutely loved the first game after a faltering opening few hours in which I got killed...a lot. Co-Op was fun too and the online offering was superb.

As for the sequel I was hooked from the get-go. Loved the single player campaign though I thought it was a bit short and seemed to have a lot of similarities with HALO 3. Co-Op was awesome it thought and I still play the online portion from time to time. The only thing I didn't like about it was that you can't choose the mode type you want to play.

Looking forward to the change of main character in Resistance 3 when it finally emerges...and it will...and it will be awesome.
  • QotSAfan 26 Jan 2010 20:05:57 1,683 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Dan (Dead Space = 7, Resistance 2 = 9) Whitehead has shown himself to be the least reliable reviewer here on EG as a result...

Thought both his reviews there were spot on. Actually, I would have rated Dead Space lower.
  • Triggerhappytel 26 Jan 2010 22:14:52 2,695 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    QotSAfan wrote:

Thought both his reviews there were spot on. Actually, I would have rated Dead Space lower.

But you're wrong, so it's moot anyway.

:p
  • Deleted user 26 January 2010 22:16:03
    QotSAfan wrote:
    cianchristopher wrote:

lolwhut
  • Scimarad 26 Jan 2010 22:22:47 8,536 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    disc wrote:
    This series is fractured and doesn't know what it wants, they lost their unique identity with the second game and created a frustrating mess of instant deaths and pinpoint accurate AI.

But then since they don't have a firm structure, maybe they can reinvent themselves a third time and this time not stealing features left and right.

I can't really imagine them salvaging the series unless they kind of forget R2 ever happened. I don't think that's going to happen somehow...

I still find it utterly bizarre that EG gave the original such a crappy score and then rated the sequel so highly.
  • Stegofreak 26 Jan 2010 23:44:19 57 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    QotSAfan wrote:

But you're wrong, so it's moot anyway.

:p

He's never wrong ;-)
  • Deleted user 27 January 2010 13:28:42
    I found both Resistance games to be rather charmless and derivative. The potential was there, what with the wacky weapons, but the actual shoosting action was a bit tired and predictable and there was no real incentive to experiment and use the special weapons properly.

Technically they were okay though, Insomniac seem to know their onions.

Better AI and a less-is-more approach would have focussed the gameplay and although maybe slightly limiting choices I think it would have made for a better overall experience. How many delicious, possibly life-changing dishes are there at the indian/chinese restaurant that you will probably never try because the range is so large?

I'd much rather Insomniac worked on a new IP.

Ratchet and Clank, wonderful though they are, are getting a little old to be romping through the same adventures again and again. Having said that, the Clank time manipulation in crack in time is very nice.

Perhaps they could expand on the R&C universe with a different genre? (NOT FPS!). R&C have so much charm and Insomniac really seem to work the visual style incredibly well in that universe.

Maybe something a bit more openworld/Zelda? I'd be onboard for that!
  • cianchristopher 27 Jan 2010 13:37:08 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's just.... I dunno, as a series this has never stood up with the likes of Halo, Half-Life, Call of Duty, Rainbow Six, DOOM, Quake, Wolfenstein, Far Cry and Crysis...

It's not exactly "strong IP"! And I think that's what hurt sales of Killzone 2 as well.

Killzone 2 was a great game, but the first one was mediocrity personified! It didn't exactly have a fanbase to sell the sequel to.

Same goes for Resistance! I don't think the fanbase is there for these games as the first two weren't all-time classics.

It's a weakness for Sony that they've never had an exclusive FPS series like Halo.
  • Progguitarist 27 Jan 2010 13:45:34 10,413 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought R2 was decent. Nothing earth shattering and it definitely played like a laundry list of FPS's from the last few years. The MP was a laugh in an old skool kinda way.
  • Pedrolot 27 Jan 2010 14:30:55 1,939 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    Pedrolot wrote:
    R1 was king.

Ive had plenty of good games with, Pedro

Playing with yourself?

You'll go blind you know... :)

Ha. And how could i forget Nino too.

Pedro is GodofPwnage.

PSN: Pedrolot

• nickthegun 27 Jan 2010 14:39:53 59,364 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im in the 'one was better than two' camp.

I quite enjoyed the first one, more than most reviews would suggest, but I found the second one to be an absolute chore with very badly picked 'chosen by focus group' mechanics.

I mean, its all very well forcing the player to only be able to carry two weapons, but if you have a set piece that *requires* a specific weapon, it kind of ruins the surprise when you find one on the doorstep of a checkpoint.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• samk 27 Jan 2010 17:51:13 703 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "I found the second one to be an absolute chore with very badly picked 'chosen by focus group' mechanics".

This. All the instant death mechanics just ruined it for me. You *had* to play it like the designer intended, and if you didn't, you died.

Also the AI was atrocious. I vividly remember one part in which I was completely out of ammo (thanks to the unnecessary two-weapon limit) and getting legged around in a circle by a dozen Greys. It was like a Benny Hill scene, but made even more ridiculous because I was running around my AI squadmates, who were plugging the Greys full of bullets, yet the Greys were only going for me. It took a good 5 minutes of running in a circle before my hapless crew capped all the Greys. Laughably bad.

The coop was a waste of time too. I'm usually a sucker for coop in games, but quickly wrote off the coop in Resistance 2 as being completely shit. Just let us play through the campaign in coop and crank up the difficulty, even if it makes no sense in terms of the story. I'd rather that than a daft coop mode slapped together from existing assets.
  • abot 17 Aug 2010 20:20:17 139 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yes, Resistance 3 !!!! Finally !!!
  • Rauha 17 Aug 2010 20:50:37 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Here's the teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbkXTSs3bvU

Could pass as a Left 4 dead 3 trailer :s
  • Ged42 17 Aug 2010 21:01:44 7,713 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wonder if Resistance 3 is going to have more of a civilians surviving vibe, rather than a military one?

Judging by that trailer.
  • Rauha 17 Aug 2010 21:04:55 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The main thing I got from that trailer was atmosphere. R1 definetly had some, R2 had none, and by the looks of things Insomniac have learnt their lesson.
  • funkyd 17 Aug 2010 21:09:29 7,522 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't get why people think R1 is better. Yeah, opinions and all that but R2 was better in pretty much every way to the original. Go back and play the first, maybe you all just liked it because there was fuck all else to play at the time :p
  • Rauha 17 Aug 2010 21:14:31 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh. I didn't like R1, it just had great atmosphere.
  • DUFFKING 17 Aug 2010 21:18:58 7,185 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like dumb shooters, but R2 isn't just dumb, it's retarded ^_^
  • Deleted user 17 August 2010 21:37:13
    Trailer on Youtube. Doesn't really reveal any gameplay but it's not a bad teaser.
  • repairmanjack 17 Aug 2010 23:25:39 5,998 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    funkyd wrote:
    I don't get why people think R1 is better. Yeah, opinions and all that but R2 was better in pretty much every way to the original. Go back and play the first, maybe you all just liked it because there was fuck all else to play at the time :p

R1 wasn't a particularly good shooter... competent, but no more.

R2 I can sum up in one word: joyless. Everything about it annoyed the hell out of me. Way too much unavoidable death. Maybe it got better later on, but there was no way I was going to slog through any more on the slim chance of it.
  • funkyd 17 Aug 2010 23:27:55 7,522 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    R2 annoyed the hell out of me at times as well, just less than the first did. Neither of them are particularly 'great' games, though.
  • DUFFKING 17 Aug 2010 23:29:30 7,185 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Right, think I've just reached the final mission of R2.

God it's dire.
  • King_Edward 17 Aug 2010 23:30:18 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rauha wrote:

Could pass as a Left 4 dead 3 trailer :s
    Wouldn't be a bad direction to tke the series imo. The 8 player co-op in R2 was really the only redeeming feature of the last game.

I hope you get to play as Nameless Black Guy in this one. :)
  • King_Edward 17 Aug 2010 23:32:20 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DUFFKING wrote:
    Right, think I've just reached the final mission of R2.

God it's dire.
    It is isn't it. The controls imo are the best of any shooter on PS3, but they simply failed to make a game to go with them.
  • repairmanjack 17 Aug 2010 23:34:57 5,998 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Actually, thinking about it, I didn't finish R1 one either.

Probably gonna skip this one. :)
  • DUFFKING 17 Aug 2010 23:55:45 7,185 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The controls are very good, I agree. Once you rebind everything that is. Sprint and crouch on one button? FFS! I moved crouch to the right stick, sprint to left stick, LT for grenades.

But I really struggle to think of nice things to say about R2. Occasionally it threatens to take you to an interesting environment, but most of the time it's bland. Crap textures, poor lighting.

It's just way too reliant on trial and error gameplay. Some sections I've had to make it through by memorising where all the enemies come from. I couldn't really say I've had fun at any point in this... damage seems totally random as well, impossible to tell how many shots it's going to take to kill you. Level design is so by the numbers. Even more so than CoD - 'oooh, big monster!'... 'oh, free rocket launcher, just lying here. Yay'.

Hell, I was underground exploring this tower looking for daedelus, and the game implies with all its might that nobody had ever been down here before. First thing I come across? Dead guy with a minigun. Then a massive horde of enemies. Sigh.

There's definitely a good game hidden in this franchise. The PSP game was very good. I hope they find it.
  • Page

of 16 First / Last