Next
  • Loftee 22 Jan 2010 22:08:36 12 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    XrustynutsX wrote:
    Loftee wrote:
    XrustynutsX wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    My BC launch model is running perfectly.
    Same here mine runs like a dream. It's called taking care of it cleaning the vents and shutting it down properly.
    Even when it freezes up completely, never ever turn it off at the back or at the mains, always do a hard reset, look it up on the web thingy, it's the source of all knowledge, most of the time.

Did you go to a special school for learning how to state the obvious, or is it a skill you have developed yourself?

I take good care of my PS3 (simply because I paid nearly 600 for it), and if you had bothered to read my original post you would see I rebooted the PS3 when it crashed by holding down the standby button, and not switching it off from the back as you suggest.
    I feel i must apologise Loftee. Sorry if i came over a patronising twat i didn't mean to offend you or anyone.
    I have encountered some divs in the past who have no idea on how to tie their own shoe laces never mind on how to treat an expensive bit of tech. Please accept my apologise again one and all............

Yours.
    A silly patronising div.

Apology accepted :) I too am sorry if my reply was a bit "heavy handed", I was just having a bad day and also fed up of people replying with information of no benefit to the topic.

Anyways, I'm still looking for anyone else that has a PS3 Fat (original 40gb or 60gb model), that has updated the firmware recently and that now has a duff blue ray drive.

• bennie461 23 Jan 2010 02:39:23 1 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    i was playn mw2 it froze now dont read discs tips???
  • Loftee 23 Jan 2010 10:00:49 12 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bennie461 wrote:
    i was playn mw2 it froze now dont read discs tips???

Unfortunately, in most cases the laser is dead, meaning you can either:

1: Phone Sony and have them replace the PS3 under warrenty (if unit is under warrenty)
    2: Phone Sony and pay to have them fix it, prices range from 100 - 150
    3: Buy a replacement drive unit from an auction site and attempt to fix yourself
    4: Take the PS3 to a 3rd party repair shop that will fix it for you
    5: Buy a new PS3

In very rare cases the drivers for the bluray drive have become corrupt so formatting the PS3 and restoring it back to factory settings can resolve the issue, but as I said above it's more than likely the laser itself has died so basically you may need a new drive unit/laser.

Out of interest, have you recently updated the PS3 firmware?
  • dominalien 23 Jan 2010 10:11:43 7,039 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Now I'm afraid to put a disc in my PS3... been playing only Wipeout off the HDD lately.

PSN: DonOsito

• Chemlegend 8 Feb 2010 11:33:47 1 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This happened to my 40GB fat PS3 back in November, immediately after performing a firmware update. About a minute after updating the firmware, the discs were difficult to read. If they did get started, they would freeze during the game and then eventually the disc drive stopped working all together!

I've been emailing and ringing Sony for about 2 months now, trying to get them to admit that firmware updates can affect older model PS3's and to fix my unit for free but to no avail. They literally have a script to read off to most questions which is very annoying when speaking to different people as they make it so obvious!
  • Darren 8 Feb 2010 13:19:09 9,045 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Loftee wrote:
    So, the intention if this post is not to find a fix for the problem (replacment drive or PS3), but to simply find out how many Eurogamer readers have experienced this problem, and whether or not the problem only occured after updating the PS3 to one of the 3.something versions.

Over to you!

I've updated my PS3's firmware literally dozens of times and the BD drive has always worked. My launch PS3 did die on me last year though, ironically shortly after updating the v3.01 firmware, but I suspect it had nothing to do with that and would have died anyway. That's the thing, the PS3 has so many firmware updates (at one point it seemed like two per month) that if the machine goes wrong or the BD drive fails then it's the first thing people blame.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• GamesConnoisseur 12 Mar 2010 16:43:50 420 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My mate who owns PS3 was playing FFXIII non stop today n then BD stopped working, very frustrated as booked holiday from our work. He is so desperate for any quick fix solution, but as can see from this thread.

Oh dear, will pass on recommendations to him.
  • dominalien 12 Mar 2010 18:22:28 7,039 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Has your PS3 Bluray drive stopped reading discs?"

No.

• Cider-X 12 Mar 2010 19:05:23 223 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Yes. 60GB launch model dead after a BSG Blu-ray marathon.

But it has nothing to do with the firmware updates. It's just that there are often updates to the firmware and that's what people try to blame.
  • FutureDave 12 Mar 2010 19:15:17 534 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cider-X wrote:

Yes. 60GB launch model dead after a BSG Blu-ray marathon.

But it has nothing to do with the firmware updates. It's just that there are often updates to the firmware and that's what people try to blame.

+1

I actually replaced the BD drive myself. I bought a replacement chassis off eBay from a Hong Kong vendor for about 40, bought a couple of security screwdrivers, watched a youtube video, and my PS3 has been working fine for the last year.
  • Birchy 13 Mar 2010 02:51:45 119 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone had a hard drive issue? Was most recently playing Heavy Rain and the game started to stutter and pause when carrying out actions, Was just after you get to the police station so early in but was playing fine before that -The game failed to load in numerous textures on the characters (Completley) or the walls and floors - When the next scene started the game had managed to load in the character tetures and any items, Chairs, tables etc but still 'forgot' to load in the walls and floors.

I realise HR is a buggy game for some and not others but the PS3 has not missed a beat with anything I've chucked at it, Also the GoW3 demo stuttered for a bit when moving areas and the load times seemed inconsistent when dying (On purpose) at the same bit again and again.

Stuff that I think streams straight from disc is fine (Well Resistance 2 is the only one I've tried, And when I say I, I mean the missues as she loves the crock of shite).

Was thinking of reformatting the hardrive to see if that would help, Original 40gb model...
  • macksed 13 Mar 2010 03:08:13 3,798 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have the 40 gig model and think I have similar problems streaming from the hard drive. The opening cut scene in Batman stutters, Heavy Rain demo stutters, a few things stutter, only everr ones that need a HDD install though... and they stutter at different points/sometimes do/sometimes dont.
    Although my HDD is almost full anyways so I was just planning on getting a new one.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2010 17:57:50
    My step bros 40gig PS3 recently stopped reading discs. Lucky for him it was still in warrenty. He gave Sony a call and they were unwilling to part with a PS3 slim but prepared to send him a 160gig model as a replacement. Not a bad outcome that.
  • senso-ji 31 May 2010 20:41:33 6,002 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So my 3 year old PS3 60gb fat has stopped reading disks. I tried restoring corrupted system files but no joy. There's no noise from the drive (such as clicking or whirring) when the disc is inserted, but otherwise discs can be inserted and ejected fine. Is the laser dead? Reading posts in this thread i'm assuming it is :(
  • TurboBailey 31 May 2010 23:35:37 687 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes

1x 60gb PS3 dead bluray drive

1x 80gb PS3 dead bluray drive

• princevegeta 19 Aug 2013 03:50:04 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    IF YOU HAVE A PHAT OR SLIM AND YOUR BLU-RAY DRIVE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE, DELETE THAT UPDATE!!!! THE UPDATE IS USUALLY THE PS STORE'S MOST RECENT UPDATE. IT WORKED ON MY SLIM 320GB AND MY FRIENDS PHAT 40GB!! IF ITS NOT THE STORE THEN DELETE YOUR MOST RECENT UPDATE!!!
  • TheMayorOfJugs 19 Aug 2013 05:18:42 4,328 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    princevegeta wrote:
    IF YOU HAVE A PHAT OR SLIM AND YOUR BLU-RAY DRIVE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE, DELETE THAT UPDATE!!!! THE UPDATE IS USUALLY THE PS STORE'S MOST RECENT UPDATE. IT WORKED ON MY SLIM 320GB AND MY FRIENDS PHAT 40GB!! IF ITS NOT THE STORE THEN DELETE YOUR MOST RECENT UPDATE!!!

SIR?! SIR?! ARE YOUR TESTICLES PERHAPS ON FIRE?? WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING SIR? PLEASE REMAIN CALM. DO THE WORDS FRIGHTEN YOU?
    HAS SOMEONE INSULTED YOUR CULTURE? I don't really know if you're joking but your caps make it hard to be taken seriously so ......yeah. Y'all have a great day now ya hear?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 19 Aug 2013 08:59:16 39,409 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• FuzzyDuck 19 Aug 2013 09:32:56 4,736 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CAN I HAZ SHOUTS?!?!
  • FuzzyDuck 19 Aug 2013 09:33:27 4,736 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also, you can't roll back updates...
  • adamhughes 25 Aug 2013 18:52:45 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    i have had 13 ps3's from sony, my first was the 60gb console and cost a lot of money since then due to still being or just outside the warranty they have allways replaced it free of charge (until now) ,they have put me on 80g models and 120gb slims and they all brake in the same way BLURAY SHITTY DRIVERS and allways seem to brake affter watching standard DVD's ,coincidence? I think not .
  • Deleted user 28 August 2013 07:29:19
    I've never had a problem with my Blu-ray player, or either of my PS3's Blu-ray drives. My original PS3 packed up due to overheating. My 2nd PS3 (the MKII shape as I call it) has so far been fault free. I picked up a Panasonic Bluray player between owning the Playstation 3's. Now I use the Panasonic for films, and the PS3 for games. If one ever packs up, i've always got a Blu-ray player.
  • dominalien 28 Aug 2013 07:50:59 7,039 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, the drivers for the PS3 are awful, and the worst of these is the one for the blu-ray.

• dominalien 28 Aug 2013 07:52:33 7,039 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh and I just _knew_ my DVDs were after my PS3 and now I have proof!

• Bassmansi 28 Jan 2014 10:55:27 1 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Hello all - I realise I'm coming in very late to the conversation. I just wanted to add, that I too have a failed Blu-Ray drive on my Original PS3 (40GB). It failed after a firmware update ( quite a while ago), and failed in exactly the same way that has been mentioned on here. I was in the middle of playing a game, it locked up, so I re-booted ( from the Stand-By button), and it never read a disc again. (Game or film). I went to the trouble of eventually buying a re-conditioned drive on-line, as actually changing the drive itself is fairly straight forward. But to no avail. Fortunately my loving wife let me eventually buy a new slim-line 500GB PS3 from a REALLY good deal I found, so I'm up and running again. But sadly I now have the older 40GB (Fat) model, AND a spare Blu-Ray drive for it that I can't do anything with. Certainly can't get any takers for it, to recoup at least some of my losses... :-( I'm not going to bother contacting Sony, as I'm sure they really don't give a damn now that the PS4 is out.... Ho, with a capital HUM. :-/

Edited by Bassmansi at 10:56:50 28-01-2014
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next