Has your PS3 Bluray drive stopped reading discs?

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Loftee 21 Jan 2010 13:30:16 12 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I recently updated my PS3 fat (original 40gb model) to the latest firmware (3.15), the following day during a game of Fifa the PS3 froze, I restarted it by holding the Standby button down until it reboots, once it had come back up the drive would no longer read any discs.

After a few reboots and using the recovery model to repair things I headed onto the internet to see if anyone else had a similar problem and if they had managed to find a fix.

I found that I was not alone, there were hundreds, if not thousands of other people whose bluray drives had packed up after doing a firmware update. The versions of firmware involved does vary a bit, but they are all versions of firmware beginning with 3., as I said above mine broke after applying 3.15.

As my PS3 is well out of warranty Sony want to charge me for the pleasure of fixing my PS3, which I am reluctant to do, especially as I believe (much like many others) that Sony's software updates have caused the problem in the first place.

So, the intention if this post is not to find a fix for the problem (replacment drive or PS3), but to simply find out how many Eurogamer readers have experienced this problem, and whether or not the problem only occured after updating the PS3 to one of the 3.something versions.

Over to you!
  • GrandTheftApu 21 Jan 2010 13:32:33 6,119 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No
  • Jazzy_Geoff 21 Jan 2010 13:33:29 7,781 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also no.

I fell your pain though :(
  • Jazzy_Geoff 21 Jan 2010 13:33:40 7,781 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    feel
  • Loftee 21 Jan 2010 13:34:26 12 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks for your replies guys, but I am only interested really in the people that have had this problem :)
  • myiagros 21 Jan 2010 13:34:28 1,348 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No, but my dad's did.

He used one of those lens cleaner discs, and it has been fine ever since (about 2 months now).
  • Retroid Moderator 21 Jan 2010 13:35:20 45,270 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That sounds like a bugger.

At least you can backup your saves :/
  • M_of_the_sys 21 Jan 2010 13:35:24 1,154 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just in, firmware update dirties the lens! Spread the word!
  • myiagros 21 Jan 2010 13:40:11 1,348 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    M_of_the_sys wrote:
    Just in, firmware update dirties the lens! Spread the word!

lol

i think the timing was just coincidence, which is probably the case for most of the blu-ray drive problems.

The failure rate of the drive does seem to be quite high, and sony put out a lot of system updates, so probability dictates that some of the drive failures are bound to coincide with system updates.
  • Loftee 21 Jan 2010 13:45:24 12 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Indeed I agree that it seems very coincidental, however nearly all the people I have spoken to on various forums have updated their PS3, then played a game immediately after, the game has then crashed, after which the drive won't recognise any discs (doesn't diplay the disc icon under the game menu for example). Had it happened a few days/weeks after the updates I might agree, but in most cases the failure has occured immediately after an update.
  • Aretak 21 Jan 2010 13:48:58 10,374 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We had this after the 3.0 update. Apparently a load of Blu-ray drives on the original models went kaput after that, and people were claiming it was because Sony changed the voltage or something. They'll never admit it's their fault even if it is though.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 21 Jan 2010 13:50:40 7,781 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    with such a big sample, statistically that doesn't necessarily mean there is a connection
  • M_of_the_sys 21 Jan 2010 13:56:35 1,154 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    with such a big sample, statistically that doesn't necessarily mean there is a connection

It depends what you come up with when you compare it to how many Blu-Ray drives fail for people who haven't updated.
    Either way, it's something that shouldn't be happening. I only ever hear about it on forums apart from one friend who it's happened to.
  • crispyduckman 21 Jan 2010 13:59:46 1,888 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    my br drive failed but nothing to do with a firmware update as far as i could tell.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• Dirtbox 21 Jan 2010 14:00:17 78,823 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not certain it was after a firmware update, but we've had one drive die and another on it's way out before trading it for a slim.

Because it's a PS3, most people won't notice as it won't get a lot of use in the average household. No games, you see.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• BartonFink 21 Jan 2010 14:00:29 35,126 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's a coincidence, my first PS3 went like this and it had nothing to do with software updates just shoddy build quality.

Basically if you put in a disc you see the little swirly thing in the top right corner swirling.
    You will hear a few clicks from the drive as it tries to read the disc.
    Then nada - no error message no nothing it just refuses to read discs.

Your choices are send your PS3 and €140 to Mr. Rodger M.E. Sony
    or
    Go back to the shop where you bought it and don't move till you get a replacement.

I chose the latter.
  • Deleted user 21 January 2010 14:01:01
    My PS3 is 1.5 years old now, and no sign of read errors.
  • myiagros 21 Jan 2010 14:03:18 1,348 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apparently sony sold about 12million PS3's last year. Lets say the failure rate of the Blu-Ray drive is 1% (it is probably higher).

That would mean that an average of about 300 PS3 Blu-Ray drives died each day.

Those which died on a regular day with no particular reason will probably complain a bit, but have nothing to latch onto as a cause.
    Those whose happened to die the day of an update, imediately feel that must be the cause, therefor will kick up more of a stink.

I'm not saying the update isn't the cause, but as Jazzy_Geoff said with such a large sample a lot of drives will fail every day regardless of any other factors, so it is almost impossible to tell for sure.
  • mrpon 21 Jan 2010 14:04:32 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• BartonFink 21 Jan 2010 14:04:47 35,126 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's Sony 1% is very very optimistic.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 21 Jan 2010 14:05:01 7,781 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Because it's a PS3, most people won't notice as it won't get a lot of use in the average household. No games, you see.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
  • myiagros 21 Jan 2010 14:06:46 1,348 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    It's Sony 1% is very very optimistic.

;-)

that's why i said its probably more.
  • Deleted user 21 January 2010 14:11:15
    mmm, interesting, i received a message just last night from my step brother complaining about his (40GB) PS3 failing to read discs.

I understand it wasnt a firmware update that was causing him problems, he had corrupt data that needed to be removed.

The data was vanquished and his PS3 lives again.
  • Loftee 21 Jan 2010 14:18:13 12 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have heard that in one of the recent firmwares Sony increased the speed/voltage (not entirely sure what they did as I've yet to find any official documentation) which basically increased the work load on the bluray drives, specifically the lasers. Now nearly all people I have spoken to so far have either the original 40gb or 60gb models, so it does only appear to be causing a problem on the older models as somebody above said.

Yes proving it was a firmware update that caused the problem is going to be almost, if not impossible, but from the places I've been looking and the people I've been speaking too, there appears to be a far higher number of drives failing after an update than not.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 21 Jan 2010 14:21:02 7,781 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Loftee wrote:
    I have heard that in one of the recent firmwares Sony increased the speed/voltage (not entirely sure what they did as I've yet to find any official documentation) which basically increased the work load on the bluray drives, specifically the lasers.

seems like an odd thing to do, if true. what would be the reason for doing this?
  • myiagros 21 Jan 2010 14:22:08 1,348 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mine & my brother in laws original US launch 60GB's are both alright as is my dads UK launch 60GB.

//crosses fingers tightly & touches wood (tee hee hee)
  • M_of_the_sys 21 Jan 2010 14:22:36 1,154 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    there appears to be a far higher number of drives failing after an update than not.

Well not in this thread. 3/2 in favour of Failures when not updating... so far.
  • M_of_the_sys 21 Jan 2010 14:22:48 1,154 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • The_Snaz 21 Jan 2010 14:24:57 34 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This happened to my 60gb launch model when it was still in warranty but wasn't after a firmware update. It actually happened after the machine crashed whilst on the internet. I got a replacement for free cos of the warranty, but if you still have your receipt or other proof of purchase I'd suggest looking into the sales of goods act. Worked a treat when my 360 went a couple of years back :)
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous