Wireless Connection Problem

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Captain_Peach 20 Jan 2010 19:07:58 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hey

For some reason my wireless adapter has suddenly stopped working, if I search for wireless networks it won't come up and I can't connect to the internet at home. It says that "Local Area Connection" is unplugged or something. Everything has been turned on and off many times. I've been told that It could be something to do with the DSL, Please help me EG. I hate not having internet :(
  • warlockuk 20 Jan 2010 19:11:38 19,163 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Local Area Connection; isn't that usually the physical cable connection to das internets?

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Munster 20 Jan 2010 19:13:50 65 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is the wireless adapter still showing up in your device manager? It sounds like your PC is expecting to connect via a wired link because there is no wireless adapter to use.
  • Captain_Peach 20 Jan 2010 19:14:23 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really don't know. I'm not tech savy in any way. However neither my laptop or Computer are physically connected to my router or anything. And no when I view the list on available networks it doesn't list it.
  • Munster 20 Jan 2010 19:20:50 65 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Captain_Peach wrote:
    And no when I view the list on available networks it doesn't list it.

I was referring to the device manager in the control panel that lists all the hardware that makes up your PC. There might be an entry flagged with an error in there.
  • Captain_Peach 20 Jan 2010 19:25:15 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmm nope checked and doesn't even list my router on there.
  • Munster 20 Jan 2010 19:34:29 65 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Captain_Peach wrote:
    Hmm nope checked and doesn't even list my router on there.

The device manager won't list your wireless router, but it should list the wireless adapter that's built/plugged into your PC.
  • Captain_Peach 20 Jan 2010 19:43:42 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh, well that works as far as I can tell.
  • JetSetWilly 20 Jan 2010 19:56:40 5,721 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rather unhelpfully Windows will announce "the Local Area Connection is unplugged" even when the adapter in question is a wireless one.

Do you have an ethernet cable you can use to determine if teh internetz works on a wired connection?

What is your wireless adapter? Is it a USB dongle, a PCMCIA card, or something built-in to the computer/laptop?
  • Munster 20 Jan 2010 19:59:44 65 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So it's your wireless router that has stopped working, not the wireless adapter in your PC? So neither your desktop or laptop can connect to the internet?
  • Captain_Peach 20 Jan 2010 20:20:18 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @JSW. Yeah my wireless adapter is built in but no dont have an ethernet cable.

and yeah it seems to be, neither desktop or laptop can connect
  • Fab4 20 Jan 2010 20:56:45 6,060 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you cant connect with either desktop or laptop its probably your router/modem. Its highly unlikely that both network cards stopped working.

Btw, how are you 'internetting'?
  • Captain_Peach 20 Jan 2010 21:49:53 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How do you mean? I'm on talk talk if thats what you mean, never had any problems with them and rang them up and they tested it saying that it wasn't the internet and then something about DSL being down
  • Fab4 22 Jan 2010 08:24:52 6,060 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, I meant are you accessing the internet from a different location? because you said both your desktop and laptop were not working. Was there some other device that was able to gain internet access? or were you posting from work?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next