Guess I'm a bit late to the party... Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• lost_soul 17 Jan 2010 11:11:26 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    1080 Avalanche was great on the Cube btw.
  • brokenkey 17 Jan 2010 11:12:47 7,155 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Donkey Konga.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• brokenkey 17 Jan 2010 11:19:14 7,155 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    oh, and you'll never find it in the shops, but Chibi-Robo is a bit of a classic.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• mal 17 Jan 2010 11:26:26 22,835 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is one of my favourite cube games, but like Konga it's not really worth playing without the bongos.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• clockworkzombie 17 Jan 2010 12:16:52 379 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    chibi robo has been released for the wii. so you can get it there if necessary.
  • otto Moderator 17 Jan 2010 12:24:02 49,335 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    otto wrote:
    Skies of Arcadia: Legends or GTFO!
    See: games that have aged really badly.

Sorry otto, I absolutely loved this game back in the day and it's definitely one of my favourite GC games, but to play it now? The graphics are dreadful, and the battle system was bad/clunky/slow enough back then - I'd hate to play this now!
    That's tragic, only a total graphics whore could say that! :(

The game is fantastic and full of character, it would be criminal to overlook it just because the graphics are dated. That's like saying you won't watch Connery-era Bond films because the special effects are shit and there's no 3D or surround sound.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• mal 17 Jan 2010 12:39:12 22,835 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    :D

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Nemesis 17 Jan 2010 13:16:39 18,744 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I would agree with Skies of Arcadia, Thousand Year Door (excellent) and Wind Waker.

I'd also like to put a spotlight on Fire Emblem (if you can find it), Zelda : 4 Swords (GBA heaven) and Animal Crossing (back before the stupid rolling landscape). Pikmin 1 and 2 and Metroid you can nab on the Wii.

I've noticed a complete lack of GC titles on pre-owned; since Gamestation turned to the dark side picking up older titles has been a nightmare.

GC. Utterly fantastic machine; I do miss the days when we all played Animal Crossing. Such....vibrant times.
  • Phreedh 17 Jan 2010 15:31:47 683 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks for the tips and opinions, all! Going for WindWaker Sp Edt and Paper Mario TYD first, maybe ToS later on. I'll skip the action / arcade stuff and anything that requires multi player as I don't intend to sink any more money into the controller pit. Considering all that's coming out on the 360 this year, I really don't see the need to play TimeSplitters 2 etc. =)

Oh yeah, Zelda: 4 Swords... how's that on 1 player?
  • otto Moderator 17 Jan 2010 16:52:06 49,335 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    GC. Utterly fantastic machine; I do miss the days when we all played Animal Crossing. Such....vibrant times.
    Good times. /wipes away small tear of nostalgia

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Deleted user 17 January 2010 16:58:07
    otto wrote:
    blizeH wrote:
    otto wrote:
    Skies of Arcadia: Legends or GTFO!
    See: games that have aged really badly.

Sorry otto, I absolutely loved this game back in the day and it's definitely one of my favourite GC games, but to play it now? The graphics are dreadful, and the battle system was bad/clunky/slow enough back then - I'd hate to play this now!
    That's tragic, only a total graphics whore could say that! :(

The game is fantastic and full of character, it would be criminal to overlook it just because the graphics are dated. That's like saying you won't watch Connery-era Bond films because the special effects are shit and there's no 3D or surround sound.
    Dated = Graphics technically not a good as current games.

Doesn't sound like a bad thing to me, Skies is ace
  • Deleted user 17 January 2010 17:00:56
    Phreedh wrote:
    It's excellent in 1 player, well worth getting if you can.
  • Nemesis 17 Jan 2010 17:16:42 18,744 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Phreedh wrote:
    It's excellent in 1 player, well worth getting if you can.

+1. I loved it, it's Zelda and..well, 4 swords.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xKCa82A8fk&feature=related

/group Animal Crossing hug
  • Bremenacht 17 Jan 2010 17:22:35 19,663 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Phreedh wrote:
    I really don't see the need to play TimeSplitters 2 etc. =)
    It's pretty good, you should know. Well worth getting.

I think Rogue Squadron is well worth it - it looked amazing at the time, and still doesn't look too shabby.

Super Mario Sunshine is also worth getting, but don't bother trying to get all the blue coins.
  • Phreedh 17 Jan 2010 17:32:09 683 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I actually bought TS2 for the X-Box but never touched it. Don't think I even unwrapped it... and then I sold box + games to buy a 360.
  • Bremenacht 17 Jan 2010 17:54:27 19,663 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah. Never mind. Someone also mentioned 'Ikaruga' - I think that's on XBLA now.
  • ghearoid 17 Jan 2010 19:25:37 2,295 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Nemesis wrote:

Them were the days. And what a lot of effort we all made to import the game then post codes for each other!
  • BurnoutJunkie 17 Jan 2010 20:46:16 730 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heh, AC was amazing. What a shame I only spent 30 mins on the Wii version - take that Nintendo, for your non-effort.

I second the recommendation of the Monkey Ball games, great fun. Also Mario Party 4 :)

Wavebirds - I have two, and am after another two (preferably new)...anyone know where I can pick some up outside of eBay?
  • otto Moderator 17 Jan 2010 20:54:59 49,335 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll no doubt be roundly mocked for this but personally I really enjoyed Starfox Adventures too.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• JetSetWilly 17 Jan 2010 21:00:28 5,721 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has REmake had a mention yet? It's bloody fantastic.
  • Deleted user 17 January 2010 21:02:28
    Are Cube games any cheaper now? Some of them used to have ridiculous prices on eBay, Chibi Robo, Pikmin 2, Metal Gear Sold: The Twin Snakes (sold my copy for £45 as I didn't like it), Zelda: Twilight Princess.
  • Pirotic Moderator 17 Jan 2010 21:04:43 20,647 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ghearoid wrote:
    otto wrote:
    Nemesis wrote:

Them were the days. And what a lot of effort we all made to import the game then post codes for each other!

Nintendo deserve a slap around the kisser for stagnating what could have been a pretty big brand for them. No doubt if I pick up the latest version (Wii?) it'll be 90% identical to the N64 game still. What the fuck Nintendo.
  • Sharks 17 Jan 2010 21:04:48 5,136 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Congrats on deciding to delve into the best games library there is.

Zelda: Wind Waker
    Skies of Arcadia Legends - you seem to like JRPGs, but not all the melodrama and nonsense that tends to be attached to them, so this one is for you
    F-Zero GX - even if you don't ordinarily enjoy racers, you MUST play this
    Pikmin 2
    Tales of Symphonia
    Eternal Darkness - for the experience if nothing else. It's a rarity, that's for certain.
    Warioware Inc. Mega Party Games - Nobody ever brings it up but it's the best Warioware game by virtue of its multiplayer, one of the absolute best multiplayer experiences ever. Get it even if you don't intend to play it in multiplayer though.
    Mario Kart Double Dash - Only if you'll be doing multiplayer, don't get me wrong, the single player isn't worthless or anything.
    Harvest Moon It's a Wonderful Life - best sedate game ever

And that's just narrowing it down to all the exclusives that immediately come to mind.
  • Cappy 17 Jan 2010 21:10:00 12,117 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    otto wrote:
    I'll no doubt be roundly mocked for this but personally I really enjoyed Starfox Adventures too.

Well consider yourself mocked otto. :)

Roundly mocked.

Mocked every which way.

The best thing I can say about Star Fox Adventures is that I paid £4 for it when MVC cleared their stock and I got £15 for it from somebody who wanted a copy in pristine condition which it surely was since it had hardly been touched. It's more of a crime against humanity than a game. :p
  • otto Moderator 17 Jan 2010 21:10:56 49,335 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mario Kart on the GC was loads better than the Wii version too.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Sharks 17 Jan 2010 21:12:30 5,136 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's a shame the two riders on one kart dynamic was dismissed so much as a gimmick. There was no excuse not to join in when you could take backseat and just handle the weaponry with ease, it was a game for absolutely anyone.
  • Deleted user 17 January 2010 21:16:50
    Eternal Darkness is a genuinely good game. Bit confused by BlizeH's disappointment tbh. It was one of the first games I played on the Wii (never had a Cube) its one of the respectable crowd of cube games that stands out from the general Wii exclusive dross.
  • Pirotic Moderator 17 Jan 2010 21:17:43 20,647 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That was in development yonks ago back when I was working there, it was called Dinosour Planet and was basically penned as Rare's take on the Zelda series. Nintendo didn't have much third party support with the N64 and when that dries up, the epic RPG's are the first to go due to the budgets. They had a Zelda in development but it was a few years off and so they asked Rare to knock something together quickly to hit before the end of the life cycle for the N64.

Now, asking rare to do anything quickly is a pretty naive request. And in the end Dinosour Planet got axed and resources got shifted to Conker instead (one of the last N64 games I think).

Anyhow, then Nintendo said they were working on the Dolphin and wanted a launch title, so Dinosour Planet got pulled out of the big recycle bin in the sky, had some Star Fox assets slapped onto it and was rushed out (again, Rare's definition of rush is still missing the intended release date by at least 2 years).
  • otto Moderator 17 Jan 2010 21:31:57 49,335 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Regardless, SFA was still a lovely game (the Dinosaur Planet bit - the actual Starfox stuff was tacked on and irritating).

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Cappy 17 Jan 2010 21:32:21 12,117 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for that insight Pirotic. :)

That explains why the parts of Star Fox Adventures don't really join up into a complete game, things like the demise of General Scales are utterly bizarre.

It's the equivalent of Star Wars building to a climax but instead of Darth Vader duelling Kenobi he trips on his cape and falls down a reactor shaft, everybody looks confused, bundles into the Millenium Falcon and just buggers off, they blow up a few ships and the credits roll.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last