Guess I'm a bit late to the party...

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Phreedh 16 Jan 2010 21:59:18 683 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What with getting a Wii, I figured I'd start tapping the Gamecube back catalogue as well. Wii is my first Nintendo console, so there's quite a bit of stuff I've never even heard of. Recently got my Wavebird, memory card and a copy of Fire Emblem: PoR. Now, I would feel a bit silly if I spent all that money on nothing but good old FE. =)

Any tips for what I should be looking into? I've got a short list of prospects, courtesy of EG's old reviews. Looking at Eternal Darkness (looks ace!) and Wind Waker spec edt (with OOT and that master quest thing). Anything else I should look into that doesn't have an equivalent on the Wii or 360? Baten Kaitos might be something for me, and also maybe Tales of Symphonia. Not sure though, as I'm not a huge fan of the standard fare JRPG melodramatic stories and enjoy Fire Emblem, Shining Force etc merely for the battles.

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door looks interesting, but I'm getting Super Paper Mario on the Wii - and am on a gaming time budget, so getting both isn't really an option. I know they're very different, but don't they scratch the same itch sort of?

And yeah, sorry about the wall of text. =(
  • mal 16 Jan 2010 22:06:24 22,836 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Paper Mario 2 and Super Paper Mario are pretty similar when you get down to it. I've not played much of SPM though, so I can't compare them - but I loved Paper Mario on the 'cube. Not sure if it's better than the original on the N64, but they're both very good.

Tales of Symponia was very good too. And unlike Tales of Vesperia (which it's very similar to) it doesn't have full voice acting that you need to turn off.

Other stuff on the GC, hmm... well, you need to get hold of F-Zero GX. And Soul Calibur 2 (though it hasn't got the greatest controller for fighting games I guess). And I'm sure there's other stuff, but I can't bring it to mind at the moment.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Phreedh 16 Jan 2010 22:08:57 683 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good point about aging... I get the feeling Baten Kaitos would feel all too jaggy and fugly, judging by the screen shots. You think Eternal Darkness would be that bad?
  • oceanmotion 16 Jan 2010 22:12:16 16,128 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zelda is shite, well maybe not but I despised it and I gave two titles a fair go.

Eternal Darkness is good. Bit dated, controls are rather funky for combat but doesn't deter too much from the game. Graphics are fine, looks great sometimes, mostly the character models and some surroundings that might kill the look but you sucked into the game anyway, it doesn't matter.

Don't play Rogue Squadron.

Metroid is good fun though the Wii has that too now.

• mal 16 Jan 2010 22:13:26 22,836 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Eternal Darkness looked dated even back in the day - it was something of a port from the N64 and a launch title too. I guess they didn't expect the cube to be as powerful as it was, so it was a few polygons short of a masterpiece.

Plenty of games on the 'cube look better than anything you'll find on the Wii though, so I wouldn't worry about it in general.

• Phreedh 16 Jan 2010 22:15:50 683 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks mal, but not fond of racers or fighting games. Played SC2 on the old X-Boxen. Didn't like it much. Last futuristic racer I enjoyed was Hi-Octane... =)
  • trip919 16 Jan 2010 22:17:16 2,274 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Eternal Darkness is excellent and still plays fantastically. Play it!
  • spazmo 16 Jan 2010 22:21:26 2,802 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't get Super Paper Mario. Just get Thousand Year Door.
  • pinebear 16 Jan 2010 22:23:12 8,565 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pikmin is fairly legendary.
    Mario Kart Double Dash makes up for the lack of online with colours - lots of colours!
    Killer 7 is supposedly best experienced on GC, and I've heard the same about the Timesplitters games. This brings us nicely to the next game...
    Resi 4
    The Baldurs Gate games aren't GC exclusive but I enjoyed them a lot (on PS2)
    And lastly, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, mostly if you have some folk who will multiplayer it with you, and especially if you have four GameBoy Advances lying around ;)

Oh, and Geist is quite interesting. Especially considering the other GC game the developers did was an Olsen twins game. Odd bunch!

• Cappy 16 Jan 2010 22:24:44 12,118 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Baten Kaitos is actually pretty interesting, though the battle system needs a fair bit of forethought and planning, before, after and during battles, it's pretty lenient up to about halfway through the story but you'll get totally raped from then on if you haven't figured it out. Aside from the battle system it is a pretty standard JRPG though it still looks rather beautiful because it uses pre-rendered backgrounds.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2010 22:32:26
    mal wrote:
    Paper Mario 2 and Super Paper Mario are pretty similar when you get down to it.
    PM2 and SPM are completely different games. Personally I wouldn't bother with SPM. Having said that PM2 is excellent and one of the best games games on the GC or any console in recent years actually. A great RPG. A bit lengthy, but I'd rather play this than a few other games instead, if gaming time is limited.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2010 22:36:54
    Viewtiful Joe, but it's also on the PS2 and the port is only slightly worse.
  • otto Moderator 16 Jan 2010 22:43:55 49,335 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Skies of Arcadia: Legends or GTFO!

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• mal 16 Jan 2010 23:01:31 22,836 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SPAM wrote:
    mal wrote:
    Paper Mario 2 and Super Paper Mario are pretty similar when you get down to it.
    PM2 and SPM are completely different games. Personally I wouldn't bother with SPM. Having said that PM2 is excellent and one of the best games games on the GC or any console in recent years actually. A great RPG. A bit lengthy, but I'd rather play this than a few other games instead, if gaming time is limited.
    Yeah, I guess you're right on second thoughts. I've only played a curtailed session of SPM, wheras I've completed PM:TYD. I did see some of the same elements coming from SPM but the battle system's completely different though IIRC, and that's one of my favourite things in PM.

Otto: Good call. I still think of Skies as a Dreamcast game but it got a good 'Cube port if I recall. Probably my favourite RPG of all time (though I haven't played any SNES RPGs).

• Nth 16 Jan 2010 23:03:47 3,126 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wind Waker still looks amazing upscaled on my plasma. I love that game.
  • mal 16 Jan 2010 23:31:21 22,836 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you think SoA:L has a slow battle system you should try the DC original...

But yeah, that's one thing that's got better since RPGs on the PS1 and DC - the flashy battle intros have got more and more condensed.

And this is an example of bad graphics now, is it?

• ProfessorLesser 16 Jan 2010 23:32:46 19,417 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ignore BlizeH. Skies of Arcadia and Eternal Darkness are uber-good. Soundtrack for both is phenominal (iirc, definitely is for Skies).

Wind Waker is important, as is Killer 7.

The best game by a mile on the Cube, though, is Metroid Prime. If you haven't played any version of this yet, you need to.
  • lucky_jim 16 Jan 2010 23:36:11 5,350 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pikmin 2 is better than the first game, and I think it's got a Wii "New Play Control" version, so you're best off getting that rather than one of the GC titles- it's the sort of game that would suit the Wii's controller.

F-Zero, however, is brilliant: fast, fun, brash, and satisfying. I'd also suggest Viewtiful Joe and Chibi-Robo if you want something a bit different, they're both excellent. The Cube version of Timesplitters 2 is the best one, and is still a great laugh for a split-screen deathmatch.

As for Skies of Arcadia, I started a new playthrough on the harder Dreamcast version a few months ago, and enjoyed it for a surprisingly long time before the random battles every other footstep annoyed me too much.

Edit: I agree with the Prof on Killer 7, but Metroid- well, they're great, but it's a similar situation to Pikmin 2: you can get the Wii triple-pack, and they'll probably play better.
  • Zomoniac 16 Jan 2010 23:37:51 7,980 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Monkey Ball 1 and 2. Three more Wavebirds.

And Sonic Adventure DX.
  • whatthefu 16 Jan 2010 23:41:14 878 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I never played Metroid on the Cube, was put off by someone saying that the enemies respawn when you backtrack. Mistake? Possibly lol.
    Eternal Darkness was great, probably my favourite GC game.
    Wish I still had the cube for F-Zero, I love high speed racers :D

Is Killer 7 worth getting on the Xbox? What about Psychonauts? I've read mixed opinions on it.
    I'm running out of games to play on my Xbox.
  • lost_soul 16 Jan 2010 23:49:11 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    F Zero is great.

It's finally running on the GameCube emulator, so I've been playing through it today; looks fantastic running at 1080p.
  • whatthefu 16 Jan 2010 23:51:25 878 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OOOOOOOh I forgot about emulators. How does it run?
    I could be tempted into playing it again :)
    Do the Metroid games run?
  • mal 17 Jan 2010 00:19:06 22,836 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /checks out Gamecube collection

Okay, so other great games on the cube include:
    - Ikaruga (also on DC)
    - Beyond Good And Evil (also on the other platforms)
    - Wave Race Blue Storm (pretty much the same game as Waverace 64 with prettier gfx)
    - Future Tactics: The Uprising (also on the other platforms)

Okay, so Future Tactics is a bit short, the difficult level is a bit variable (there's only one difficult level and it's three or four levels in) and the graphics and voice acting are pretty rubbish, but it did something a bit different with deformable landscapes and had a certain charm. I enjoyed it.

• sargulesh 17 Jan 2010 10:51:02 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    killer7 is a dog on PS2. There's not an Xbox port IIRC. The game is amazing but a bit of an acquired taste and you'll have to pay £20+ for a GC version these days.

Other games to consider: Super Mario Sunshine, Chibi-Robo, Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Beyond Good & Evil, Luigi's Mansion, Ikaruga, Alien Hominid, P.N.03 (acquired taste again), Viewtiful Joe, Wario World.
  • pinebear 17 Jan 2010 10:56:00 8,565 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But the GC version is made with pieces of real panther - so you know it's good.

• mal 17 Jan 2010 10:59:07 22,836 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, Luigi's Mansion is very good, if short. Forgot about that.

• lost_soul 17 Jan 2010 11:10:27 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    whatthefu wrote:
    OOOOOOOh I forgot about emulators. How does it run?
    I could be tempted into playing it again :)
    Do the Metroid games run?
    The emulator runs very well, but you need a fairly beefy processor (I have a C2D running at 3.5ghz).

Pretty sure the Metroid games work, though it's been a while since I've tried them.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous