• Bremenacht 13 Jan 2010 00:13:19 17,806 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    'Official' status pending. :)

ANyway -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8455712.stm

Hooray!

and

LOL at stock market response. They really are soulless cunts - job losses cheer them up, human rights make them sad.
  • Red-Moose 13 Jan 2010 00:23:47 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pfff. What happened to Blueboxes and phreaking. Activists my arse, bloody Guardian-era anti-establishment sofa warriors more like. Gmail? GMAIL?
  • lucky_jim 13 Jan 2010 00:30:01 5,285 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wired's interview with Eric Schmidt a few months back convinced me that they'd abandoned the word "Don't" from their famous slogan. Perhaps Larry Page and Sergey Brin have pencilled it back in while he wasn't looking.
  • mal 13 Jan 2010 00:36:19 22,456 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The BBC wrote:
    However, activity was limited to account information such as the date the account was created and subject line, rather than e-mail content, it said.
    And subject line? What the fuck does that even mean, Mr BBC?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• jellyhead 13 Jan 2010 00:37:58 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Google probably just explain to the shareholders how much worse it would be if they were caught up in some leak scandal involving China at the moment. They can't afford to be seen to do nothing with all the privacy concerns and distrust building up around them especially as they could have looked complicit/negligent/incompetent.

mal, as it's gmail that was accessed i'd say they had the email subject line but not the content of the email itself.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Deleted user 13 January 2010 00:42:59
    Google shouldn't be congratulated for pulling out of China, they never should have agreed to China's censorship in the first place.
  • M83J01P97 13 Jan 2010 00:45:51 6,595 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Google shouldn't be congratulated for pulling out of China, they never should have agreed to China's censorship in the first place.

This.

It seems more like a publicity stunt than a serious stand against the politics of China.
  • Chopsen 13 Jan 2010 00:46:23 15,870 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Red Moose wrote:
    Pfff. What happened to Blueboxes and phreaking. Activists my arse, bloody Guardian-era anti-establishment sofa warriors more like. Gmail? GMAIL?

:D

Branching out to China proved less profitable than google originally thought. Dealing with all the restriction on their business doesn't make it their while. Instead, they're going to expand the business models they have in established territories and consolidate their power there. All the while spin it as a moral decision so as not to alienate investors.
  • mal 13 Jan 2010 00:48:21 22,456 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't think anyone in China even uses google, unless it's through a proxy to the American version. China already has plenty of its own search engines and they're much better at finding dodgy mp3s and pron than google is.

• mal 13 Jan 2010 00:52:49 22,456 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    mal, as it's gmail that was accessed i'd say they had the email subject line but not the content of the email itself.
    If that's true (and I suspect it is) then the sentance published by the BBC is very misleading. Email subject lines are part of the email message - they're certainly not account information as the comma placement suggests. Account information can also include real name, date of birth and links to another email account. Or they do just mean someone took a screenshot?

I can understand them not being explicit if they don't know, but to relay technically incorrect information isn't very good.

• ecureuil 13 Jan 2010 03:15:49 76,729 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Google speaks

Seems like a proper clusterfuck. Looks like they'll be ceasing operations in China entirely.
  • Dirtbox 13 Jan 2010 03:31:31 77,712 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's what the BBC article was based on, they even linked it.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• ecureuil 13 Jan 2010 03:35:20 76,729 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fucks sake, how often does BBC put links in their articles? Bah.
  • rudedudejude 13 Jan 2010 10:38:30 2,163 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the Google share in China is something between 17 - 22%. Baidu has over 75% of interest, I don't think it's a big a story as most media outlets make out.
  • Bremenacht 13 Jan 2010 11:18:45 17,806 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a huge story. If anything comes of it (they may backtrack yet) it's reversing what was regarded as unstoppable business development. The BBC analysis bit sums it up:

The assumption has always been that the China market is too big to walk away from.
    Foreign firms accept the difficult commercial conditions, the tough competition, government interference or censorship because the prize is worth it.

The story has been updated with some more figures:

Nearly 340 million Chinese people now online, compared with 10 million only a decade ago.

Last year, the search engine market in China was worth an estimated $1bn and analysts previously expected Google to make about $600m from China in 2010.

But unlike most markets, Google comes second in search in China.

It has 26% of the market compared with about 60% controlled by market leader Baidu, which has a close relationship with the Chinese government. Yahoo has 10%.

Microsoft has a tiny share of the Chinese market with its new Bing search engine, but in December the technology giant said it was committed to China, calling it "the most important strategic market".
    I'm not sure what they could be thought to gain by blowing $600m on a publicity stunt, or by simply giving up on the basis of restricted opportunity, and thus allow Microsoft to pick up $600m worth of restricted market.

Plenty of time for them to backtrack and look stupid yet, but I don't think this story is as unsignificant as some think. It could develop further yet, as other companies are allegedly affected, and the secretary of state has become involved.
  • ecureuil 13 Jan 2010 14:55:07 76,729 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Google
  • oceanmotion 14 Jan 2010 14:57:19 15,820 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Google is just pissed because they got hacked. Censorship part is just the PR machine. Yahoo seem to be contemplating leaving too. Microsoft must be rubbing their hands. I think this will blow over eventually. Is there really anything to stop China banging at the door anywhere round the world. There was a rumour that China was actually trying to hack their spy network that allows the governments to access user profiles and history under a warrant rather than just a few human right activists.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2010 14:58:45
    mal wrote:
    The BBC wrote:
    However, activity was limited to account information such as the date the account was created and subject line, rather than e-mail content, it said.
    And subject line? What the fuck does that even mean, Mr BBC?
    Really?

It means the subject line of the email.
  • Bremenacht 2 Feb 2010 19:25:57 17,806 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh - Steve Jobs hates Google:

On Google: We did not enter the search business, Jobs said. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake they want to kill the iPhone. We wonít let them, he says. Someone else asks something on a different topic, but thereís no getting Jobs off this rant. I want to go back to that other question first and say one more thing, he says. This donít be evil mantra: ďItís bullshit.Ē Audience roars.

∴ hooray for Google!
  • Bremenacht 25 Mar 2010 01:19:59 17,806 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    More companies following Google's lead:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/24/dell-looking-outside-of-china-for-safer-environments-accordin/http://www.dailytech.com/GoDaddy+Follows+Googles+Lead+Will+Cease+Domain+Name+Registration+in+China/article17971.htm

http://www.dailytech.com/GoDaddy+Follows+Googles+Lead+Will+Cease+Domain+Name+Registration+in+China/article17971.htm
  • Dirtbox 25 Mar 2010 02:24:09 77,712 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GoDaddy, a huge, faceless domain company has also pulled out of China as well. That's pretty big of them as it goes, they've gone up in my estimation.

More companies need to do this and strand China because they're fucked without the internet services offered by the West.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Bremenacht 26 Jun 2012 22:47:33 17,806 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hooray for Google! They've invented a 1000 CPU cat identifying Neural Network.

SKYNETSKYNETSKYNETSKYNETSKYNETSKYNETSKYNETSKYNETSKYNETSKYNET
    SKYNETSKYNETSKYNETSKYNETSKYNETSKYNETSKYNETSKYNETSKYNETSKYNET

It's just the sort of thing we've been crying out for.

Edited by Bremenacht at 22:47:57 26-06-2012
  • Deleted user 26 June 2012 22:56:34
    Skynet already exists.
  • Deleted user 26 June 2012 23:00:11
    Yup, my bosses old company was called Skynet :)
  • Bremenacht 26 Jun 2012 23:07:47 17,806 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh yeah? Well does your Skynet identify cats?

NO
    IT
    DOES
    NOT

(or does it? Two cat identifying neural networks would be even better)
  • Deleted user 26 June 2012 23:15:04
    Tracking. They're watching you!
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous