Antichrist

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • M83J01P97 12 Jan 2010 21:31:58 6,674 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Could have sworn there was a thread for this when the film was at the cinema... couldn't find it with search and a basic flip back through the forum though...

Anyone seen this then? It's on DVD now and managed to check it out last night and really not sure what to think of it.

It's no where near as good as some of Von Trier's other work , but it is definitely his most cinematically beautiful. Probably one of the richest and most vivid films I have seen in a long time. Just a shame not very much happens...

I was also slightly underwhelmed by the controversial genital snipping which I was expecting to utterly repulsive and all that... but it just came across a bit pointless. The hand job after dick smashing and bloody spunk was pretty uncomfortable to watch though.

So yeah, anyone else got an opinion? I just thought it could have been a whole lot better, but as an art film, it did exactly what it needs to really.
  • Deleted user 12 January 2010 21:34:05
    Sound dicksmashinglybloodyspunkingly good to me.
  • FHUTA 12 Jan 2010 21:38:21 880 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the original thread got deleted for some reason, but you can go to the Lars Von Tier thread where it was discussed a bit.

Personally I thought it was a beautiful film, but was not a pleasent cinema experience and was basically an overwhelming sense of dread and it's pretty messed up. It did some odd things to my head and made me dislike wildlife for a bit, but the main thing that got to me was the shoes on the wrong feet of the kid, slowly breaking the bones over a whole summer. That and the look on the wife's face as she watched her son head to the window.
  • M83J01P97 12 Jan 2010 21:44:07 6,674 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes.
  • RabidChild 12 Jan 2010 21:47:39 2,292 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I watched this the other week and adore it. The atmosphere throughout is so menacing, and I think the third chapter is essential as a climax of sorts. Kind of a gruesome release to what has been building up.
  • M83J01P97 12 Jan 2010 21:49:02 6,674 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He really does hate women though doesn't he?

Pretty much all of his films have something horrible happening to women.
  • FHUTA 12 Jan 2010 21:49:45 880 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Just me who's struggling to see how a film with a 'hand job after dick smashing and bloody spunk' could be described as 'beautiful'? :E

The cinematogaphy is truly beautiful, possibly the best I've ever scene and the ethereal quality and ability to convey mood are amazing. That the mood is a pervading sense of unease doesn't detract from that beauty.

The scenes that are "shocking" and difficult to watch (especially on a cinema screen) as well as the less talked about, but (to me) more disturbing scenes that got to me mean it's not a pleasant or fun film to watch, but it is an experience. In that respect it's like The Road.

Edit - or what RabidChild said
  • WrongShui 12 Jan 2010 21:49:49 6,620 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I preferred my life before I watched it, but not to the extent Irreversible did.

Other than that it was alright.
  • FHUTA 12 Jan 2010 21:53:18 880 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    He really does hate women though doesn't he?

Pretty much all of his films have something horrible happening to women.

I don't think he does. He certainly has issues, but the women in his films are generally the heroes and protagonists and you empathise with their plight*. I still can't watch Dancer in The Dark all the way through though.

*except Antichrist of course
  • M83J01P97 12 Jan 2010 21:54:57 6,674 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I assume you've seen it all the way before and just can't bring yourself to watch the ending again?
  • FHUTA 12 Jan 2010 22:04:48 880 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    you mean Dancer in the Dark? - yeah, just never in one sitting
  • M83J01P97 13 Jan 2010 12:29:32 6,674 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So you thought two naked old men and a nauseating tour of a gay hardcore S&M club were aces? :)

That's not a dig by the way... Irreversible is one of my favourite films of all time!
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next