*Official* Digital Photography Advice Thread Page 11

• Page

of 11 First / Last

Next
  • BartonFink 17 May 2011 16:17:10 34,851 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got it in one mal the kit lens is 55mm, the one I am looking for now is to get more range for doing things from a distance where getting close up is impossible. The other is for doing macro shots.
  • kalel 17 May 2011 16:32:28 86,798 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    Got it in one mal the kit lens is 55mm, the one I am looking for now is to get more range for doing things from a distance where getting close up is impossible. The other is for doing macro shots.

See my post.
  • BartonFink 17 May 2011 16:33:36 34,851 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have a budget of around €700 so I am not all that worried about that. That said what you are suggesting would leave me with budget to invest in a prime or some more kit.
  • BartonFink 17 May 2011 16:35:58 34,851 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    BartonFink wrote:

See my post.
    Would that work with the D5000?
  • kalel 17 May 2011 16:40:13 86,798 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    BartonFink wrote:

See my post.

According to this, yes!
  • billythekid 17 May 2011 16:42:30 11,098 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    BartonFink wrote:

See my post.

The autofocus wouldn't work I don't think. Although it doesn't state, I'm pretty sure for that price the lens won't have it's own motor and the D5000 doesn't have one either. So it'll be manual only.
    Also it has a Minimum focusing distance of 59 inches and it's not 1:1.
  • kalel 17 May 2011 16:42:55 86,798 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, it does.
  • billythekid 17 May 2011 16:43:56 11,098 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seems I was wrong!! :D
  • kalel 17 May 2011 16:46:54 86,798 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Full disclosure, I actually have the Sigma lens myself, and should probably mention that it’s not the world’s greatest lens, but then what do you expect for that price? It’s supposed to be extremely comparable to the Nikon in terms of image quality (which also isn’t supposed to be the world’s best lens FYI).

You do lose the VR which the Nikon has, which is useful at those focal lengths, but on the other hand you gain the (slightly fake) macro feature, which sounds like it would be useful for you.

Not much in it.
  • billythekid 17 May 2011 16:49:19 11,098 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The VR is bloody useful tbh. I was shooting in the garden the other day trying to get a shot of red kite and I was getting pissed off with blurry shots. I didn't realise for a couple of hours after that the VR had somehow been turned off.
    Turned it back on and voila pin sharp shots!
  • PhoenixFlames 18 May 2011 20:19:43 8,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Seriously considering selling my DSLR and getting a Canon Powershot s95.

Doing it for one main reason really...I never want to take my DSLR out with me... Far too bulky. Also I like street photography but haven't hardly taken any shot this year because getting a D90 out in public makes everyone look straight at you like you're the papparazzi.

The only disadvantages I can see with the s95 is no viewfinder and being stuck with one (albeit nice) 24mm - 105mm lens.

Just wondered what you togs thought? Also I'm likely to have an A1 condition D90 plus battery grip, spare battery, f1.8 50mm and 18mm - 105mm lenses available soon if anyone is the market ;-)

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Zomoniac 5 Jul 2011 14:02:20 7,821 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Advise me. Should I sell my DSLR? I'm very much in two minds. I like having it, and do love some of the shots I get with it, but really the amount I use it I'm finding it hard to justify having it lying around to get taken out once every couple of months.
  • PhoenixFlames 5 Jul 2011 14:03:43 8,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looking at my post above I can't believe I was even considering selling my DSLR! I must have been on some crazy juice that night.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Deleted user 5 July 2011 18:03:16
    If you're looking outside Nikkor, I'd recommend the Tamron alternative. Some of their lenses are as sharp if not sharper than the Nikkors and you'll find both image stabilization and internal motors for a fraction of the price.

I've got two Sigma lenses from late 90s (when Nikon introduced the D lenses) and they are okay but nothing too impressive. The 70-300 works much better than I remember on the D7000 body, most likely because of improved AF - both accuracy and motor speed.
  • presh 3 Aug 2011 10:02:28 1,221 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bump for this thread and also to ask people on here what their thoughts on ND filter set-ups are?

I'm going on a beach holiday and fancy playing around with some landscape shots and the effects you can get with gradiated ND filters are something I'd like to try. From what I've read Cokin filters are not great quality - something like the Hitech ones for about £10 are better.

Anyone got any tips or advice?
  • henro_ben 3 Aug 2011 10:20:48 2,215 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    presh wrote:
    I'm going on a beach holiday and fancy playing around with some landscape shots and the effects you can get with gradiated ND filters are something I'd like to try. From what I've read Cokin filters are not great quality - something like the Hitech ones for about £10 are better.

Anyone got any tips or advice?

HiTech filters and a cokin holder & adapter is usually regarded as a good cost effective starter kit.

Grads are available with two different transitions - hard and soft. Hard is usually used for flat horizons (e.g. the sea) whilst soft grads are used for more broken horizons (landscapes, mountains etc.).

Grads come in various strengths 0.3 of a stop, 0.6, 0.9 etc., personally I use a selection of 0.3, 0.6 & 0.9's but if you're on a budget you can probably get away with just a 0.6 to start with, but a 0.9 as well would be better.

Edit: Got a feeling that Neverness uses HiTech filters? He might be able to give some more specific advice about them.
  • TheRealBadabing 3 Aug 2011 10:25:07 1,295 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't forget a polarising filter too.
  • presh 3 Aug 2011 14:26:37 1,221 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cheers @Henro_ben - that's what I've been looking at - lusted after the Lee filters but they are seriously expensive, so that set-up does seem to be quality at a budget.

@TheRealBadabing - already have a polarising filter on all the lenses anyway.

So shopping list is a 77mm Cokin P series adapter ring, Cokin filter holder, and set of HiTech filters - lovely ;-)
  • Page

of 11 First / Last

Next