*Official* Digital Photography Advice Thread Page 10

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• Neverness 30 Jan 2011 23:09:56 1,186 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yup, pm me.

edit: Sorry, I was internetting on my phone last night.

Yes I still have the bag for sale, same price. Let me know if you are interested. I also have more shots on flickr if you want a look inside the bag as well.

Inside shot
  • PrivateFloyd 14 Feb 2011 23:06:13 4,102 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Evening all,

Has anyone got any experience in either the;

Tamron 55-200mm DI ii Macro lens
    Canon EF 28-80mm MK II lens

Got an opportunity to buy both for the sum of 100 all in. Both are in fantastic condition with no optical or mechanical faults.

I am at the beginning of my photography journey, already have the canon 50mm prime f1.8. Figured these two lens would be two great accompanying lenses to carry around.

Thanks for any input.

Goat is hungry.....

• mal 14 Feb 2011 23:56:47 22,332 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No personal experience, but looking around, 100 is a reasonable price for the Tamron. The 28-80 is an old kit lens and from what I can tell pretty poor in all regards - your pocket rocket 50 should blow it out of the water. But then it gives you more focal lengths to play with, and 50mm can be a bit tight indoors, so you may get some use out of it.,

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• PrivateFloyd 15 Feb 2011 00:20:54 4,102 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers mal.

I have shopped around and found a brand new tamron macro 70-300mm for £99 which I think I will get instead. I love my 50mm lens, so much so that I keep looking at the f1.4 USM variant.

Didn't realise the other lens was a kit lens.

I don't mind using the 50mm in confined spaces. I'm finding it is making me more thoughtful as to positioning and composing the shot.

Thanks again

Goat is hungry.....

• PrivateFloyd 15 Feb 2011 07:29:56 4,102 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Flooding the thread with questions again already but has anyone any experience of using a lensbaby composer or any other model?

It looks great I'm just unsure about the build of the double glass optic. Manual focus doesnt bother me either in fact I think I would quite enjoy it.

Goat is hungry.....

• Fletche 6 Mar 2011 20:50:20 3,418 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just started on my DSLR journey, bought a Canon 1000d last week, took it outside for a test-drive today and I am more than happy with the results. Really would like to take this further as a serious hobby so just wondering if there are any good websites out there can can give a beginner tips on taking good photos.

Want to take it slow and actually learn about the camera instead of just going round taking random photo's but to be honest, beyond Auto mode I am still a little lost (although learning little bits every day)
  • cheeky_prawnking 6 Mar 2011 20:54:14 4,249 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    To be honest there are 2 books which would help, Understanding Exposure by Bryan Petersen, and Photographers Eye by Micheal Freeman.

Between them cover the technical and compositional aspects of good photos.
  • PrivateFloyd 6 Mar 2011 20:58:12 4,102 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ha! You are me!!

tbh the way i have been learning *is* going out and taking random photo's.

I also have a 1000D, if you havn't already considered it get hold of the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens (its 85 at jessops etc). Absolutely superb lens and has really got me thinking about taking better shots.

Goat is hungry.....

• Nth 7 Mar 2011 21:27:50 3,118 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stick the 50 on and play with Av mode. You will learn a lot. I'd say learning about what aperture and iso to use is crucial.
  • Fletche 8 Mar 2011 13:21:59 3,418 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Phew, this can be confusing but I think I am getting there, trying to learn all about ISO and Aperture, think I am getting my head around it so just want to throw something in to see if I am getting this right.

So forgetting anything else, if I wanted to take a nice big Landscape picture on a bright sunny day I would have a high number, say F16 and a low ISO of say 100 or 200

If though I was in a garden taking a nice photo of some flowers and wanted to just focus on them only (still a nice sunny day) I would use around F2.8 (or a little higher?) and the same ISO

Now if I am in a museum and wanted a nice focussed picture of a vase then I would keep the AV low (or is it high, confuses me) at F2.8 and up the ISO to 1600 or so?

As I say, I'm learning so I could be totally wrong but hopefully I am in the right area. Just trying to learn a few things so not getting bogged down with shutter speed etc at the moment
  • billythekid 8 Mar 2011 13:36:36 11,012 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is fairly difficult to get the hang of it when you're new to it. The main things to learn is what effect adjusting one of the aperture, shutter speed or ISO has on the others.

Ie if you need a fast shutter speed to capture action then you'll need to let more light in somehow to maintain correct exposure, either by opening up the aperture (small number means wider open) or increasing the ISO.

ISO is normally a case of using the lowest number you can get away with as you'll get better picture quality.

When I was learning I found this guy Ken Rockwell pretty helpful. It's all explained in simple terms and he has some specific phone apps for certain cameras.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/
  • mal 8 Mar 2011 15:31:31 22,332 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What you're saying sounds right to me, except for the bit about ISO 3200. Having the aperture open or fully open (I prefer using terms like open/big and closed/small than high or low) means you're letting more light in so you shouldn't need such a high ISO unless it's very dark.

My normal shooting methodology is to use Av mode, set the aperture as I think right and meter the shot. If it says I will need a long exposure (above 1/60s is long for my purposes), I up the ISO - every incremement of ISO should halve the exposure time, so it's easy to guesstimate what ISO you need knowing what exposure it suggests at base ISO. I rarely go as low as F16, but instead use an open setting and a sharp setting of around f5.6-f8. The only reason for using smaller apertures is if you're deliberately trying to blur a shot (e.g. water) on a normal/bright day, and even then you often need a ND filter to really darken things enough.

• Fletche 9 Mar 2011 08:07:12 3,418 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks for the advice both, it is starting to make sense and after experimenting last night in AV mode I am a little more confident, don't expect to learn too quickly but I'm enjoying discovering things with the camera
  • Jeepers 10 Mar 2011 15:52:26 13,173 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Annoying, Blize-esque "Oh noes, what should I buy?!" post ahoy:

I've got a Sigma 10-20mm, a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and a kit 18-135mm lens (variable aperture, don't really like it). All sit on a Nikon d80.

I've been hmm'ing and hah'ing about whether I should buy:

i) a second-hand Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 for roughly 650 or
    ii) a new Nikon 35mm f/1.8 and a new Nikon 85mm f/1.8 for a total of roughly 500 total

Whatever I do I'll sell my kit lens for around 80-100.

For option i) I get the convenience of a zoom, good-to-very-good image quality and great build quality. I carry one lens around, albeit with less reach than option ii)

For option ii) I get great image quality, good-ish build and the hassle of carrying three lenses around most of the time (35, 50, 85) and swapping lenses as needed.

I'd probably not carry the Sigma 10-20mm with me 90% of the time. I use >85mm only rarely when I do use the 18-135mm lens so max'ing at 85mm isn't a big deal for me.

Any thoughts on which option you lot would go for? Any experiences with any of the lenses which might help me make a choice?

Any and all advice appreciated.
  • mal 10 Mar 2011 16:37:32 22,332 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't know the 17-55... or any of the other lenses you're thinking if buying as it goes (I've got an old 35mm f2, not the newer f1.8 DX).

I guess that's worth bearing in mind - that 35mm is a DX lens, unlike any of the other lenses. Although the camera manufacturers seem quite happy to keep full frame the preserve of the upper prosumer bracket for now, so maybe you can ignore that.

You would lose anything longer than 55mm with the zoom, and that collection of primes plus wide zoom is pretty much my ideal lens collection, if I could justify the cost. But it's up to you how much you value not having to swap lenses all the time - it'll cost you that long reach and an extra 150 quid. I can't answer that for you, but that's what it boils down to.

• Jeepers 16 Mar 2011 10:11:18 13,173 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers Mal - I ended up getting a 2nd-hand 85mm f/1.8 and a 2nd-hand 35mm f/1.8 - total cost of about 410, which doesn't seem too bad.

Only the 85mm has arrived yet, but I love it. Good at f/1.8 and excellent from f/2 upwards. It's heavy, mind, and doesn't balance brilliantly on my d80 (altho' this might be cos I'm used to the very light 50mm and even lighter / plastic'y kit lens).

I think my set of lenses is pretty much done now - altho' I'm sure I'll get tempted by the 80-200mm f/2.8 soon enough!
  • cheeky_prawnking 16 Mar 2011 21:11:07 4,249 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Been asked to Tog a wedding later this year.

/gulp

Will be seeking advice I am sure
  • mal 18 Mar 2011 00:26:35 22,332 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Alright, my turn. I'm thinking of dipping my feet into the world of filters, specifically square type. I remember people on here recommending the cokin filter holder/rings and hitech filters, so that's what I'm thinking of getting, but I've just discovered that hitech do their own filter holder system for 85mm (aka Cokin P). It's a bit more expensive, but made out of aluminium, and also has a front mounting ring to attach a polariser.

The cokin system precludes using a polariser, doesn't it? I am planning to get one of those, when funds allow.

• mal 18 Mar 2011 20:26:47 22,332 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Turns out real life answered the question for me - the shop didn't have any cokin holders in, so I went with the complete hi-tech 85mm system instead. Cokin has gone bust apparently and been bought out, so there's likely to be a shortage of the bits for a while.

The hi-tech system works pretty well, although with everything being aluminium, if you loosen it enough to be able to turn it it rattles a bit on focusing and slows focusing up ever so slightly I reckon.

The adaptor rings are like the Cokin ones rather than Lee ones - they dont have a trench around the edge for the pin to drop into. But the holder does have a pin, unlike the plastic Cokin holder - but it's a knurled screw rather than a sprung pin. As mentioned above, you need it slightly loose to allow the holder to turn, or you can tighten it up slightly to fix it in place.

The holder itself is like the Lee holder (although 85mm in this case rather than 100mm) although it doesn't have as many screw holes through it - it's clearly not designed for future expansion. The front ring does get in the way slightly with removing ND filters, or just moving ND grad filters around, but it is removable.

I've added some pictures, since I wasn't able to find any pictures of this on the Internet. I don't own a studio setup, so I'm afraid the shots are full of shadows.

This is the 85mm Hi-tech 2-slot holder with front ring from the front.

This is detail of the locking mechanism, from the back. You can just about see that the end of the locking screw is angled so it tightens against the ring just visible below it. There's a lug opposite the locking screw which keeps the holder from falling off. It's pretty secure, and needs a good few turns to turn it enough to remove it.

This is it mounted on a 18-70mm kit lens with a 67mm filter diameter. This is it mounted on a much smaller 35mm f/2 AF-D lens with a measly 52mm filter diameter (same as the 50mm f/1.8 as well as the 24mm and 28mm f/2.8 Nikkors). As you can see it dominates the pocket rocket, but doesn't look so bad when it's connected to even my sprightly old D70.

• PrivateFloyd 15 May 2011 12:08:56 4,102 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just bought a brand new Sigma 18mm-50mm DC 3.5 w/lens hood for 25.

Anyone any experience with this lens. I know its cheap, i know it could be considered a kit type lens but i needed a low end standard zoom to complement my 50mm 1.8 and a 70-300 telephoto macro.

25 brand new though? can't be bad surely?!

Goat is hungry.....

• BartonFink 17 May 2011 15:49:49 34,853 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thinking of picking up a Nikon 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR for my Nikon D5000 as a birthday present. Anybody any opinions on this one? A good buy?

At the moment I only have the standard kit lens than came with the camera and am starting to find the range very limited specially after our trip to Italy last week.

Any other suggestions? Would also like to pick up something for doing really close up shots of nature etc.
  • kalel 17 May 2011 15:53:47 86,259 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think there's a similar Sigma lens that has a macro setting, so doubles as something you can use for nature close ups. I don't think it's a proper macro but would certainly do a job.
  • kalel 17 May 2011 15:54:55 86,259 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This.
  • billythekid 17 May 2011 15:57:47 11,012 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've used that Nikon lens quite a bit on a D90, no problems with it that I can recall.

I like the Tamron 90mm macro lens for close up stuff.
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-90mm-f-2.8-Di-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

• Zomoniac 17 May 2011 15:59:20 7,788 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So many dilemmas. 70-200 f/4 L IS and a 1.4x extender, or 70-300 L, or 100-400 L? WHICH ONE? Anyone got any or have experience with any and care to offer an opinion?
  • Zomoniac 17 May 2011 16:00:16 7,788 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    I've used that Nikon lens quite a bit on a D90, no problems with it that I can recall.

I like the Tamron 90mm macro lens for close up stuff.
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-90mm-f-2.8-Di-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

I'm selling one of them. Just in case anyone wants one.
  • mal 17 May 2011 16:03:16 22,332 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted

• mal 17 May 2011 16:10:17 22,332 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    If you're a begginer and don't want to spend too much this will be fine.
    Tsk, ecosse - I thought you'd be able to do links by now.

I think BF is referring to two lenses - one just so he can get a bit more length than his kit lens (which I assume will probably do 55mm) and another lens for doing macro wildlife shots. Your suggestion is what Nikon designed for people upgrading a 55mm kit lens to go a bit longer, I believe, so it's a good tip if you're happy with the quality you get from the kit lens.

• Page

of 11 First / Last