'The Scream' stolen

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • montywithnail 23 Aug 2004 18:46:24 430 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bit late with this but what do you think? Stolen once before (when Norwegians were all watching the Winter Olympics according to some news channel I was watching last night)and now nicked again by armed robbers.

I must admit to quite liking art crime, it's so beautifully pointless for anyone other than an art lover that it's almost like the ultimate compliment. Rather than commissioning a painting you commission its theft.

Edit: spelling punctuation must try harder

Edited by montywithnail at 17:47:22 23-08-2004
  • montywithnail 23 Aug 2004 18:52:41 430 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When i find out it's a opportunist plot to ransom a priceless work of art that was opportunistically stolen from a low security museum i'll be dissapointed!

But until then I'm imagining a man with a big leather chair and a room with no windows.
  • Spanky 23 Aug 2004 19:03:32 14,458 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I applaud them for stealing it! I hope they burn it, much as i like the painting, the whole artworld needs fucked in the arse. This whole art is the new gold movement has destroyed any sort of appreciation a lot of people would have had for it in the first place.

Dave "Oi jim look at this shark in a tank"
    Jim "Fuck thats pish wtf mate?"
    Dave "Its worth 100 squillion pounds"
    Jim "Wow must be good"

I blame Snatchii, Hilter and rich unmentionable religious ethnics! Yeah fucking Spelling i'm looking at you! Give your munter broken faced whore daughter a Monet to stick above her bed, you cunt i hope you explode, fuck faced prick.

Ah all is calm!

Plubs

• Badass 23 Aug 2004 19:09:18 110 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LOL
    always thought Tori Spelling was a munter - there was no justification in her being in Beverly Hills 90210 other than who her dad was

/realises mistake in admitting to watching BH90210

erm, twas a long time ago you understand.
  • Khanivor 23 Aug 2004 19:15:17 40,405 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Badass wrote:
    LOL
    always thought Tori Spelling was a munter - there was no justification in her being in Beverly Hills 90210 other than who her dad was

/realises mistake in admitting to watching BH90210

erm, twas a long time ago you understand.

/points at saddo

A-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!

You realise now there is no statute of limitations on watching shit telly.
  • mal 23 Aug 2004 19:15:35 22,341 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd agree with you Spanky, except every time I go to Tate Modern I end up finding some stuff that I really enjoy. Last time it was Henry Moore. Doesn't excuse the obscene prices for some of this stuff though, while other artists who are not in vogue get pennies for their work in comparison.

The thing with the Scream though, well this one was only one of ten or something (the one that got stolen ten years ago was a different one). And this one's painted on cardboard - clearly Munch was just pissing about when he painted it.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• tiddles 23 Aug 2004 21:21:29 3,555 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Arrrghh!
  • Shinji 23 Aug 2004 21:34:31 5,903 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I took a stroll around the Tate Modern the other day actually. The giant spider in the turbine room is *awesome*. Everything else there was... Well, speechlessly shit would be being kind, I'm afraid.

Our definitions of "art" are being bent and stretched so far as to make someone like me - who loves classic art, and even a lot of modern artistic endeavours like production design on imaginative movies or anime - completely despise British contemporary art. If you're someone who never got any form of art, that's no loss I guess, but surely there's something wrong when someone like me, who spent a week picking his jaw off the floor after walking through the art museums in Florence, can walk through the Tate Modern and think the best thing about it is that you can have a coffee on that balcony bit at the top?
  • Spanky 23 Aug 2004 21:44:29 14,458 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh don't get me wrong i went into the Snaachi Gallery and was amazed, i thoroughly expected to get ejected onto my fat bottom for deficating on some other piece of shoite, alas at least 70% of what was in there impressed, including the aforementioned Rat Death Star and some sort of black resin bust of a woman. Of course some of it was pure conceptual rubbish, but for the most part most of it was installation work and not something you could having in your house.

Is that the oil mirror thing shinji, i liked that but it wasn't art really was it? Just some fancy idea put into practice.

Plubs

• ssuellid 31 Aug 2006 16:46:15 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BBC scrolling headline says its been found - no article yet.

737 day old bump - so quite a while to find it.
  • Fatfish 31 Aug 2006 16:50:16 3,377 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought they found this ages ago?! Or am I mistaken?
  • Deleted user 31 August 2006 16:52:09
    Story
  • Fatfish 31 Aug 2006 17:17:47 3,377 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    Story

Hairy muff. I thought they were found already - must have had them mistaken for something else.

Anyway, glad they're back in the right hands so that they can be enjoyed by the public as they were always intended.
  • magicpanda 31 Aug 2006 17:31:21 13,274 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shinji summed it up for me, I've done the florence thing as well, michelangelo's david , Botticelli's Venus. I've even seen the painting in question, in france I think, was a very long time ago on a school trip.

Anyway with the tate, It's not so much the pieces in there its the utter pretentious bullshit that they write about them. Last time I was there in feb there was basically a hospital door painted pink. Accompanying it was an A4 page just full of utter bullshit. Winds me up.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next