Amnesia: The Dark Descent Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• reinhart_menken 9 Sep 2010 08:03:25 21 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bulbatron wrote:
    This point was obviously intended as a point where players could take a moment to calm down after their first really stressful, tense encounter. Even the music is somewhat calmer at this point.

I suppose these points will become fewer and further between as players progress.

I agree. That's probably the reason for it. I did feel pretty calm around that area, and the music pretty much assured me that there'd be no monster in this area, at least for the time being. As I click on the water fountain though, and the water splashed (reminding me of the chase just moments ago), I thought, "Oh right, very funny. I was just chased by a water monster and now you give me water fountain."

Did nobody find that ironic or maybe just cruel?

Did anyone else accumulated a lot of tinderbox? (not sure if this is spoiler) I've actually gone up to 26, if my oil hadn't run low I'd probably have 30 now), because I'm so reluctant to light something up and thereby eliminating my hiding spot (unless I can light something and only brighten a corner, leaving me with another corner to hide in).

I don't particularly mind the graphic effects. Sure it's annoying that Daniel reacts that way, but I figure it's another game play mechanic that requires you to balance things. Stay in the shadow and feel safe but lose your vision (have blurry vision), or stay in the light and see perfectly well but also being seen perfectly well? It all adds to the tension really.

An interesting thing with this game (I'm new to the horror genre) is that I find myself keep looking for and taking note of escape routes and hiding spots, and a few times stacking up crates for me to possibly hide behind later (I rather hide behind darkness and cover). Some people like to close the doors behind them, but generally when I'm faced with two doors in a room I keep both open, just in case I need to run.
  • quadfather 9 Sep 2010 09:25:50 11,871 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't particularly mind the graphic effects. Sure it's annoying that Daniel reacts that way, but I figure it's another game play mechanic that requires you to balance things. Stay in the shadow and feel safe but lose your vision (have blurry vision), or stay in the light and see perfectly well but also being seen perfectly well? It all adds to the tension really

I like this - it means you can't really relax for long - you've got to constantly juggle the balance. Proper tense horror. And I love the sanity meter when it just displays "..." heh

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Bulbatron 9 Sep 2010 10:25:13 832 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love the fact that While I'm exploring I constantly wonder whether to leave doors open to provide easy escape routes, or close them for additional security.

On balance, I tend to leave them open so that I can tell where I've been.

Wow - what a mansion!

• Ravenger 9 Sep 2010 11:47:49 190 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This game reminds me a lot of Thief, in a good way.

Mediaeval style environment - check.
    Sneaking around in the dark - check
    Best way to survive is to hide in darkness or run away - check.
    Spooky ambient soundtrack - check.
    Constant tension - check.

Of course it's not the same as Thief but the atmosphere is remarkably similar, which is great, because that's what I loved about Thief, and I really like about this game.
  • PapaSmurf630 9 Sep 2010 20:13:24 245 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played this late into the night yesterday on a huge HD projector in a dark room with 2 mates and we were all shitting ourselves. Played a good 6 hours of it and if you think the water chase bit is scary, you're going to find the next parts terrifying.

You have to go into a storage room to find some bits and pieces and Daniel tells you that the air is 'unnatural'. What you find down there is bloody horrible.

I'm a bit past that section now but it doesn't get any less scary. The tension and the feeling that something could be around the next corner is truly brilliant and I really like the way they have kept everything 'physical'.
  • ChthonicEcho 9 Sep 2010 21:15:48 410 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PapaSmurf630 wrote:
    Played this late into the night yesterday on a huge HD projector in a dark room with 2 mates and we were all shitting ourselves. Played a good 6 hours of it and if you think the water chase bit is scary, you're going to find the next parts terrifying.

You have to go into a storage room to find some bits and pieces and Daniel tells you that the air is 'unnatural'. What you find down there is bloody horrible.

I'm a bit past that section now but it doesn't get any less scary. The tension and the feeling that something could be around the next corner is truly brilliant and I really like the way they have kept everything 'physical'.
    Yes, I'm at that point. The constant and ubiquitous whimpers from that girl are unnerving. I had to save and quit shortly after opening the door to be greeted by one of the monsters.

Compared to Penumbra games, Amnesia has a much more palpable atmosphere, even if at the cost of coherent storytelling. I wish the next survival horror game that Friction develop (if they do) would involve less of the obvious supernatural and more of the mystical unknown. In Penumbra, monsters served as but another cog in the machine of storytelling, rather than the main driving force of horror; in Penumbra, it seemed as though the monsters foreshadow a much greater and severe threat.

Still, a very good horror game, so far.
  • reinhart_menken 9 Sep 2010 22:37:56 21 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I quit shortly after I completed that area. That was the area where I started using my tinderboxes, since the lantern just wasn't a good enough choice (it'd run out if I didn't light some stuff).

At two points I encountered the monster. Once I was in the shadow entering the next room just as it walked into that room. I ran straight back and duck behind a crate that was placed there for me to hide behind (afterward it's obvious that they put it there for that purpose alone). The monster never saw me since I was in the darkness, which I found out later. I stayed behind the crate for a few minutes thinking it'd come after me :D The other time I was leaving the storage room area and almost walked right into it. It was right there on top of the stairs and I was just going up, and behind me was a candle - lighting me right up. I bolted and ran all the way back down two corridors to the storage room area where there were a lot of shadow, and I was just looking into the light to see movement. It didn't come after me either.

I think I'm running too fast :D
  • quadfather 10 Sep 2010 13:26:57 11,871 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PapaSmurf630 wrote:

Shit...

• quadfather 11 Sep 2010 12:22:39 11,871 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ok, I'm stuck :-)

Can anyone give me a pointer? I'm at the bit where I need to get the elevator working. I've got the rods in the machine, in the right order, the burner is happy with the amount of coal, i've put the cogs on the steam machine, but it keeps saying "More work needs to be done" when I press the lever for the steam engine. I've read a note that says to use a replacement rod from the study if one breaks, but the ones I got from storage seem ok. If I have to get a replacement rod from the study - where the hell is it? I've looked everywhere

Cheers

------------

No matter - sorted it - got certain things in the wrong order.

And now I've got the elevator working, took 1 minute to look around in the next area, and said, "Fuck that" and turned it off, lol

Time for a beer to soothe my nerves I think!

• Hunkyjim 12 Sep 2010 14:16:47 178 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Recorded my first 40 minutes or so for lols

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbYpzjf9uiA&hd=1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVY4J4g7uQg&hd=1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NTkFuoLzCs&hd=1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB8SX_m45OI&hd=1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6UCbPt7U8c&hd=1
  • SuperBas 13 Sep 2010 04:50:15 1,450 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't want to brag, but I really didn't find this game scary, I've felt more uncomfortable in Silent Hill 2 and the Fatal Frame series. A lot of enemies you see walking in the distance seem to disappear into thin air when you walk after them. The fact that you're helpless is a challenge to work around, but I find the monsters lose sight of me easily. So there's barely a threat to my life. Knowing you're safer than it looks = no scares.
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2010 09:58:09 11,871 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SuperBas wrote:
    I don't want to brag, but I really didn't find this game scary, I've felt more uncomfortable in Silent Hill 2 and the Fatal Frame series. A lot of enemies you see walking in the distance seem to disappear into thin air when you walk after them. The fact that you're helpless is a challenge to work around, but I find the monsters lose sight of me easily. So there's barely a threat to my life. Knowing you're safer than it looks = no scares.

I find it depends on what scares you in general. For instance, if I watch the grudge, I can guarantee it'll send shivers up my spine, even though I've watched it 20+ times. But a friend of mine simply shrugs through the whole thing.

Project zero's, I can't even play unless I'm really in the mood - the tension is just too much for me. Silent hill 2, whilst brilliant, doesn't really scare me at all, apart from the odd dark area in the hospital, but even then, it's nowt compared to project zero - I keep thinking that I'll install the language pack for project zero 4, but I *still* haven't done it yet!

I think with Amnesia - it's not the monsters, it's the darkness and the sound - my imagination plays havoc when I'm low on oil and trawling through a pitch black area listening to the ambient moans and screams - at least for me, anyway

• PapaSmurf630 13 Sep 2010 17:10:44 245 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I agree completely quadfather, it's not the jumpy scares, it's the tension and the darkness that gets me.

The feeling that something dreadful is around the next corner or up the next corridor is sometimes simply to much. It is a little easier for me because I'll only play it when there's someone else in the room helping me out and taking turns but I will still find myself simply closing my eyes and holding W until my mate tells me it's okay!

I think it's this type of 'scary' that makes films like Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity so brilliant. They don't rely on jumps and visual scares, they almost make you scare yourself...
  • quadfather 14 Sep 2010 08:24:28 11,871 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PapaSmurf630 wrote:
    I agree completely quadfather, it's not the jumpy scares, it's the tension and the darkness that gets me.

The feeling that something dreadful is around the next corner or up the next corridor is sometimes simply to much. It is a little easier for me because I'll only play it when there's someone else in the room helping me out and taking turns but I will still find myself simply closing my eyes and holding W until my mate tells me it's okay!

I think it's this type of 'scary' that makes films like Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity so brilliant. They don't rely on jumps and visual scares, they almost make you scare yourself...

Have you played/tried the project zero's? They're even worse :-)

• Ceelion 21 Sep 2010 15:00:12 187 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just finished my first run through. Fantastic game, and definitely worth the 10 I paid for it! I think it's going to be on my 'Best of' list by the end of the year. Unfortunately not the best, as I think Bayonetta will be gracing that spot.

Anyway, To people who have finished the game; Which ending did you get? I got the supposed GOOD END by saving Aggripa's little head.
  • caligari 27 Sep 2010 01:06:42 16,999 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wow - I'd somehow managed to avoid this game for the last week or so - but I finally got around to installing the demo.

Probably not the best thing to play late on a Sunday, when you're meant to be getting up early on Monday. I think I'll leave the light on.
  • Ravenger 27 Sep 2010 10:09:32 190 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I still can't play this for more than 20 minutes. I nearly had a heart attack last night when I opened a door to see a shambling thing waiting for me inside, roaring at me. I ran and cowered in a corner for a few minutes. I could feel the adrenaline pumping. This game really does generate genuine fear. Amazing!
  • quadfather 27 Sep 2010 13:39:40 11,871 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ravenger wrote:
    I still can't play this for more than 20 minutes. I nearly had a heart attack last night when I opened a door to see a shambling thing waiting for me inside, roaring at me. I ran and cowered in a corner for a few minutes. I could feel the adrenaline pumping. This game really does generate genuine fear. Amazing!

Is that in a kind of long dining type room with a few rooms on the right hand side - monster in the 2nd on the right? Because if it is, I too shared your adrenaline at that point :-)

• ecureuil 25 Nov 2010 03:53:04 76,530 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :D

And another!

I've never even played this game but I'm still loving these.
  • Lexx87 25 Nov 2010 08:14:06 20,869 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    God I need to play this.

Speak the truth hussy!

• dominalien 25 Nov 2010 08:19:32 6,839 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just please don't record your fake cries of terrror and post them on youtube for all of us to cringe to. ;-)

PSN: DonOsito

• Dirtbox 25 Nov 2010 08:34:51 77,480 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Somehow, it's still not as scary as Minecraft.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Lexx87 25 Nov 2010 16:21:33 20,869 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do hope this is on the Steam sale at some point :)

Speak the truth hussy!

• Articulate-Troll 25 Nov 2010 17:19:59 3,104 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Definitely worth picking up. It's hardly too expensive at the moment even if it's not on sale. The best proper horror game I've played since Project Zero 2.
  • Dave_McCoy 25 Nov 2010 19:50:27 2,771 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The demo messed me up in horrible ways. Definately pick it up if it hits a sale. I could do with finishing (and starting) the Penumbra games first though.
  • Mr_Sleep 25 Nov 2010 20:16:21 16,853 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dave_McCoy wrote:
    The demo messed me up in horrible ways. Definately pick it up if it hits a sale. I could do with finishing (and starting) the Penumbra games first though.

Heh, I have all three and I have played one of them for about an hour. I quite enjoyed them but I seem to recall that I got stuck so I gave up and haven't returned. I should do at some point. I am quite intrigued by this but I'm a pussy with scares these days, unfortunately.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Dirtbox 12 Dec 2010 10:20:36 77,480 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This is half price on Steam at the moment and I'm uhming and ahhing about it.

Horror games scare me from time to time, but from what I've seen, this doesn't look that bad. What's putting me off more is the gameplay, which looks a bit rubbish.

• Deleted user 12 December 2010 10:22:55
    I'm sure it will drop lower than 6.49 over xmas, might be worth waiting a few weeks.
  • Dirtbox 12 Dec 2010 10:24:46 77,480 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Doubt it, it's a weekend deal so it's probably not going to go any lower for a while yet, maybe next xmas.

The point is more about whether or not it's worth getting.

• Lexx87 12 Dec 2010 10:26:12 20,869 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Get it!

I got it at this price and I don't have time to play it for probably 3 years but...gotta be worth 6.49.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Page

of 4 First / Last