Amnesia: The Dark Descent

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • ChthonicEcho 7 Jan 2010 13:41:58 410 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I may be a tiny bit late, considering the game had been announced in November of last year.

Frictional Games, the guys who developed the Penumbra series, are working on a new game called Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Unsurprisingly, it is survival horror, just like their Penumbra games. It is in its early development stages, and the (admittedly atrocious) title is still subject to change, but the game is currently scheduled for release later this year (summer, allegedly).

Their development blog has some interesting ideas regarding the design of video games, as well. Nothing novel or groundbreaking, but I found it to be an interesting read nonetheless.

Trailer.

Interview.
  • Feanor 1 Sep 2010 19:42:41 14,067 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    New interview with the devs.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/01/amnesia-the-dark-descent-interview/
  • Tiger_Walts 1 Sep 2010 20:15:15 16,583 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pre-ordered mine direct from them back in March. Release is set for Sept 8th, and should stay that way as it has already been delcared as gone gold.

I'll be watching my inbox for the d/l link quite intently.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Feanor 2 Sep 2010 13:29:50 14,067 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I hope some reviews appear soon.
  • ChthonicEcho 3 Sep 2010 15:19:14 410 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you want to know what the game is like, you can get the demo now.
  • Lukey__b 3 Sep 2010 21:42:45 3,725 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I liked the demo but didnt find it that scary. Usually I'm a wimp when it comes to scares in games but this didnt really do it for me. Played it in the dark and everything.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• Bulbatron 3 Sep 2010 22:57:41 832 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Downloading the demo now...

Wow - what a mansion!

• SuperBas 6 Sep 2010 17:02:05 1,450 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The demo crashes for me when I try and enter the refinery. The screen goes black, I see my mouse pointer, and nothing happens. I also can't alt-tab out of it. Anyone else having this? Using a HD5870 and Win7 x64.
  • Carlo 6 Sep 2010 17:11:04 17,949 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I might buy this, but if I can't even get enough time to finish the campaign in Star Craft II, is this even going to get installed?

PSN ID: Djini

• Bulbatron 6 Sep 2010 17:24:54 832 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great demo! Very pleased I pre-ordered.

8 hours seems plenty long enough for me - for a game of this type anyway.

Wow - what a mansion!

• ShadyChopper 6 Sep 2010 19:08:06 73 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have HD5870 and windowsx64 ,It didnt crash on me but I had to turn down some graphics options to get a descent frame rate which is totally wank!
  • UncleLou Moderator 6 Sep 2010 19:52:08 35,433 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hohum. Demo does not do much for me. The graphical "insanity" effect is irritating more than anything else, and I wasn't scared at all. :-/
  • dominalien 6 Sep 2010 20:49:03 6,839 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have HD5870 and windowsx64 ,It didnt crash on me but I had to turn down some graphics options to get a descent frame rate which is totally wank!

That's crazy. My Geforce 330M has no problems at all with all settings on max at 1440x900. That's in Linux, and I can't imagine Win being worse.

PSN: DonOsito

• Feanor 7 Sep 2010 19:24:10 14,067 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PC Gamer give it 88%.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/06/amnesia-the-dark-descent-review/
  • ChthonicEcho 7 Sep 2010 22:44:16 410 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think it's a matter of genre preferences and little else. This title is much closer to point and click (or point and drag, in this case) adventure games. Expecting weaponry in such a game is not unlike expecting to fly a plane in a racing sim. Those who happen to like horror games and have fond memories of old school adventure games will no doubt love Amnesia.

Those who want pew pew and the amount of HP to dictate their fear will have to wait for Dead Space 2.
  • Bulbatron 8 Sep 2010 08:11:02 832 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Downloading the full game right now!

Wow - what a mansion!

• quadfather 8 Sep 2010 16:55:59 11,875 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just given it a proper go for the first time for a couple of hours. I'm probably just getting old, but there were 2 bits in it where I almost physically shat myself!

Not as unnerving as the fatal frame/project zero's in my opinion (And horror is always opinion based per person) but still really enjoying it.

The sanity system is kind of frustrating in places, but like EG's review - the guy is a couple of cans short of a six pack and you just have to work with it. Certainly different anyway - I think it's a better sanity system than dark corners of the earth and eternal darkness

And why do a lot of horror's have the word dark in?!

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Bulbatron 8 Sep 2010 17:04:19 832 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just finished my first session on it. Loving it so far, but I probably won't have another chance to play it now until Sunday. :-(

Wow - what a mansion!

• quadfather 8 Sep 2010 17:07:01 11,875 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bulbatron wrote:
    Just finished my first session on it. Loving it so far, but I probably won't have another chance to play it now until Sunday. :-(

Me too! Or at least Saturday - How far did you get?

• Bulbatron 8 Sep 2010 17:25:05 832 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Bulbatron wrote:

Just escaped from the invisible water-creature. In the next room I ascended some stairs and came upon a large, stone basin of water with a peculiar statue in it. It's been seen a fair few times in trailers and previews etc.

Wow - what a mansion!

• quadfather 8 Sep 2010 18:09:05 11,875 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bulbatron wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Bulbatron wrote:

Just escaped from the invisible water-creature. In the next room I ascended some stairs and came upon a large, stone basin of water with a peculiar statue in it. It's been seen a fair few times in trailers and previews etc.

Exactly the same point as me!

That bit you're on about (the escape - that's one of the bits that really got me going!

• Bulbatron 8 Sep 2010 22:55:51 832 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Bulbatron wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Bulbatron wrote:

Exactly the same point as me!

That bit you're on about (the escape - that's one of the bits that really got me going!

Once I'm home again on Sunday, then the night Amnesia sessions can begin!

Wow - what a mansion!

• UncleLou Moderator 8 Sep 2010 23:09:52 35,433 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bought this, seeing how cheap it is (or was on pre-order) despite not liking the demo that much after the write-up on RPS.

Still think it's a bit too much with the graphical effects, and the constant music, but boy did I ever switch it off right now at the water level.
  • Tiger_Walts 9 Sep 2010 00:04:50 16,583 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I stopped at the same point as Bulbatron and quadfather. Seemed like a natural place for a break. The escape just before was frantic, you'd want respite from that.

Shame about the voice acting for Daniel, every diary entry is just cringeworthy. Emphasizing words isn't a substitute for emotion yet each performance is littered with it. Each line read at the same speed, resolutely monotonic save for the ill-warranted or unsubtle stressing of words. I'd rather the audio wasn't there so I could read it myself. It's written well enough, the emotional intent is clear, it's the reading that's way off.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• ChthonicEcho 9 Sep 2010 01:05:30 410 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Bought this, seeing how cheap it is (or was on pre-order) despite not liking the demo that much after the write-up on RPS.

Still think it's a bit too much with the graphical effects, and the constant music, but boy did I ever switch it off right now at the water level.
    You can avoid most of the graphical effects by avoiding the dark. You'd have to stay in the dark for as long as a dozen seconds to have the entire screen warped. The other post-processing effects, though, such as those accompanying jump frights, are not really avoidable. I'm actually annoyed by those more than the Insanity effects.
  • Bulbatron 9 Sep 2010 01:30:03 832 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This point was obviously intended as a point where players could take a moment to calm down after their first really stressful, tense encounter. Even the music is somewhat calmer at this point.

I suppose these points will become fewer and further between as players progress.

The voice acting for Daniel is a little dodgy I suppose, but not nearly enough to mar the game for me. I love reading diaries and things like that in horror games, but it's nice to have some of them read, just to give my eyes a brief rest. I can easily put up with a little dodgy voice acting.

Gah, now I have to wait a few days before continuing! :-(

Wow - what a mansion!

• SirScratchalot 9 Sep 2010 06:45:13 7,872 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey! This is on mac... Gonna soil myself soon then...
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous