Create your own Xbox 360 Hard Drive?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Hurleybird 6 Jan 2010 12:53:42 1,381 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm sure that it must be possible to create my own 250gb hard drive, and that someone on here has already done so. For those that know, could you point me in the direction of how to do make one?

I can buy a 250gb 2.5" SATA drive for about 40 so it makes sense. I don't know if I'll hit DRM issues using my own bigger drive will I? I also don't know how I'd go about transferring my current content over to the new drive?

I should also add that I don't want to do any sort of "softmod", I just want more space on the cheap. :)

All help gratefully received!
  • Blerk Moderator 6 Jan 2010 12:57:27 48,224 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the general consensus is "no, you can't".
  • asphaltcowboy 6 Jan 2010 12:57:53 5,129 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    link
  • Deleted user 6 January 2010 12:58:29
    it was possible once, but I think those people may have come a cropper at some point when MS did one of their annual kristallnachts
  • Hurleybird 6 Jan 2010 13:03:53 1,381 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    with my 20gb I can't really only fit one game installed to HDD, so I have to pick which one at the moment I'd like to keep FIFA 10 and MW2 installed on it, and probably others too.

Thanks for the link asphaltcowboy - this train of thought started when I was looking on ebay and saw a number of Xbox hard drives from Hong Kong. There's currently a 250gb going for 50, and I wondered if third parties were just doing something I could do?
  • LFMartins 6 Jan 2010 13:07:29 5,704 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think those "home-made" drives are no longer usable after the last system update.
  • Hurleybird 6 Jan 2010 13:10:00 1,381 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is likely to be duff then?
  • Eraserhead 6 Jan 2010 13:12:01 57 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There is a way to do it, but it's definitely dodgy and involves the use of an "illegal" file which MS could in theory detect very easily. Basically each hard drive has its own unique serial number, so to make your own you need to use a cloned one of these. And apparently you can't just use the number from your existing 20GB drive on a bigger one as it doesn't work.

• Jazzy_Geoff 6 Jan 2010 13:13:05 7,767 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    one of the lads in the feedback history received his this week and seems to like it
  • mingster 6 Jan 2010 13:13:51 3,267 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can make your own Xbox HD following those links supplied. It does work.

It's just you WILL get banned from Xbox Live if you connect as MS can tell its not an official HD unit and ban you. They consider it a hacked xbox.
  • Hurleybird 6 Jan 2010 13:16:25 1,381 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thanks for all your comments chaps - sounds like I have no choice but to buy an MS one - I don't want to be banned from XBL - shame
  • schmung 7 Jan 2010 09:56:39 18 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good luck buying an MS one, I can't find a 120gb at a reasonable price in stock anywhere :(
  • PenguinJim 7 Jan 2010 10:05:53 5,455 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some of the ones on eBay (from Hong Kong) are kinda unofficial, and won't play original X-Box games.

Then again, they're half the price and I've had no problems with my 120GB one in the 14 months I've had it. Although I can't seem to find out whether or not Games On Demand will work on there or not. Guess I'll risk it with US$19.99 Dead Space at some point...
  • Jamster99 7 Jan 2010 10:10:51 3 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hurleybird wrote:
    This is likely to be duff then?
    no, that would just be the 250gb hd that came with the special mw2 edition xbox
  • MDL199 8 Jan 2010 19:50:29 64 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Banning 3rd party memory units and hard drives while the one's Micro$oft sell retail at a f***ing disgusting price point is outrageous!

I'm using my PS3 only now for online gaming as i'm not prepared to line these thieving bastards pockets any more.

If Linux wasn't so awkward i'd ditch Windows too. I hate Micro$oft!
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Jan 2010 19:53:39 36,281 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You used the term "Micro$oft" therefore your opinion is invalid. Sorry.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• MDL199 8 Jan 2010 23:05:32 64 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    You used the term "Micro$oft" therefore your opinion is invalid. Sorry.

Putting the $ sign in when typing Micro$oft is entirely appropriate.

Many, many people have bought the Datel memory cards and now they can't use them any more. These are legally bought products not some under the counter knock off piece of kit.

Micro$oft should be banged up for daylight robbery with what they charge for their memory cards and hard drives.

I bought a 500 gig external drive for my pc for 38 in Comet and yet Micro$oft charge 17 more for a tiny 60 gig one. And 59.99 for a wireless N adaptor?! They can F**k right off!!! Even the crappy low tech Wii has built in WiFi.

Thieving Cu**s is what they are!
  • BartonFink 8 Jan 2010 23:11:38 34,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nope using that anywhere automatically renders your opinion invalid and really should also involve a ban.
  • BartonFink 8 Jan 2010 23:17:31 34,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MDL199 wrote:
    Banning 3rd party memory units and hard drives while the one's Micro$oft sell retail at a f***ing disgusting price point is outrageous!

I'm using my PS3 only now for online gaming as i'm not prepared to line these thieving bastards pockets any more.

If Linux wasn't so awkward i'd ditch Windows too. I hate Micro$oft!
    Apart from the stupid use of the $ and your follow up post about Datel. The reason afaik they were banned was because they were not licensed and also from what I remember were used for dodgy purposes.

On the subject of the drives themselves and the price I agree they are too expensive.
  • fluff_the_tiger 8 Jan 2010 23:20:43 181 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why bother, I bought a genuine new 120 GB xbox disc drive off ebay for 55, called the xbox live number to get a free transfer kit using the serial number, transferred the data and then sold the transfer cable on ebay for 30

Total cost = 25 for 120GB drive, MS approved
  • PenguinJim 9 Jan 2010 15:55:20 5,455 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    rodpad wrote:
    mingster wrote:
    You can make your own Xbox HD following those links supplied. It does work.

It's just you WILL get banned from Xbox Live if you connect as MS can tell its not an official HD unit and ban you. They consider it a hacked xbox.
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Some of the ones on eBay (from Hong Kong) are kinda unofficial, and won't play original X-Box games.

Rubbish. They're disabling specific third party memory units whereby companies haven't paid the relevant license fees to Microsoft. Home made hard drives which are abundant on places such as eBay and indistinguishable from a genuine hard drive, Microsoft aren't, and will not do anything, especially "banning" from Xbox Live.
    I'm... not sure why you quoted my post. Original X-Box games won't run on Hong Kong hard drives. Only 360 games will.

Even the eBay auction where I got my Hong Kong hard drive warned about this. I don't care. If I'd wanted to play X-Box games, I'd have spent 25 quid on an X-Box. I just want to play 360 games. :p
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next